Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Jeopardy! Discussion

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Old 04-30-19, 07:54 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Great game yesterday. Prior to watching I saw in my newsfeed that he won a very close game. Wish I hadn't seen that.
Old 04-30-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Yes - excellent match and a real sweat. Unreal that someone gets to $53K and it's only good for 2nd.
Old 04-30-19, 09:48 AM

Remind me and maybe a dumb question, but regardless of how much they wager, the 2nd and 3rd place contestants only get $2k and $1k winnings or do they get the net amount they end with?
Old 04-30-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Remind me and maybe a dumb question, but regardless of how much they wager, the 2nd and 3rd place contestants only get $2k and $1k winnings or do they get the net amount they end with?

Old 04-30-19, 10:10 AM

Got it, thanks. On Wheel of Fortune all contestants keep their winnings. The comparisons between WoF and J probably end there
Old 04-30-19, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Oh, come on, Wheel is a real thinking-man's game!

Old 04-30-19, 06:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

i only got 4/5 video game questions They had Destiny 2, Far Cry series, Mario, Assassin's Creed: Origins, and one other i forget. this game is amazing though.
Old 05-01-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Good job by that guy on Monday night. That's the playbook to defeat James - hunt for the DD's, bet hard and hope you hit. Hopefully everyone picks up on this and they go out of their way to bet big when they can. It makes the game way more fun to watch.
Old 05-01-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That game on Monday makes me think his run might not be as long as I originally thought it could be
Old 05-01-19, 02:34 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

If they (Jeopardy producers) want him to lose, they just have to start making the daily double questions extremely difficult, since he is the one who usually finds them and he bets big. Where he makes the most money can also be where he loses the most.
Old 05-03-19, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

After yesterday's 21st win, he's now officially in second place in terms of how many games he's won and he's at $1.6 million. Still a long way to Jennings' 74 wins, but he's more than half-way to Jennings' 2.5 million.

Also, he now has all 10 spots in the top 10 highest single-game winnings.

Last edited by joltman; 05-03-19 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

James’ strength in the game is twofold: he’s fast on the buzzer, and he’s good at remembering and recalling things. Which are basic and essential things any successful player of Jeopardy! needs.

He’s racking up the big winnings because of his aggressive betting strategy, where he’s controlling the board and betting big on the daily doubles.

I initially thought that the thing that might bring him down are a couple of missed daily doubles that destroyed his pot, but he usually pulls so far ahead that he can still bet big, miss the question, and maintain a comfortable lead.

I remember reading somewhere that, after Ken Jennings, the producers implemented strategies to prevent another contestant from dominating the game for weeks. They didn’t say what the countermeasures were other than it wasn’t something illegal like rigging the buzzers.

Presumably, when they want James out, they’ll put up categories and questions that are outside of wheelhouse and put him up against people who are good in those categories.

Don’t know why they would want to kick James to the curb, though. He’s bringing them good publicity and probably delivering great ratings, too.
Old 05-03-19, 08:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's a race to the 1st double jeopardy to beat this guy, last night's 3rd player was very good, he had a nice lead, if had found the double jeopardy before james, then doubled down, he would have had to play some defense and a final jeopardy question could be the diff... of course he would have had to get the correct answer to the DJ as well.. this is must watch TV every night for me right now...
Old 05-03-19, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Sure - they could come up with categories that are outside of his wheelhouse - if they can figure out what's outside his wheelhouse.

I think he got 3 wrong last night. Shocking.
Old 05-03-19, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alex had asked James about how he studies and James replied that he works on things he does not know. He seems pretty strong in art and literary categories.
Like most of the game's best players, he did his share of studying in advance, finding that books geared to young people were a good way to learn about unfamiliar topics. He built a replica of the show's buzzer and practiced while playing along on TV, standing in his living room like he has to do now in front of a lectern. Holzhauer says he rarely guesses — he doesn't like those odds — but seems never to have forgotten a fact.

“My goal was just to be less nervous than the other players,” he said. “Whenever I felt overwhelmed, I snapped my fingers three times and pictured a fun snow festival with my daughter.”

“I'm not surprised that most contestants don't gamble the way I do,” he said. “Loss aversion is a very real factor.”
James' betting is the other half of the coin.
“Most `Jeopardy!' players never think about maximizing winnings,” [Ken] Jennings said. “I never did. I just wanted to survive the game and get to play again. But he's a sports bettor. Maximizing winnings is everything to him. I wouldn't have the stomach to bet $60,000 on a Final Jeopardy clue. What if you get that wrong, and you have to come back in five minutes and play another game knowing that you just blew a year's salary on a single trivia question? Psychologically, I doubt that I could have rattled off a long streak doing that. But James just seems to be made for those dangerous plays. He's a cool customer.”

Jennings can envision future players trying to imitate Holzhauer's strategy of building up big winnings fast. But in a lesser player, that could be disastrous.

“I'm not sure I can really bet any more boldly than I have already,” Holzhauer said. “I can keep my foot on the accelerator, though.”
https://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...426-story.html
Old 05-03-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I remember reading somewhere that, after Ken Jennings, the producers implemented strategies to prevent another contestant from dominating the game for weeks. They didn’t say what the countermeasures were other than it wasn’t something illegal like rigging the buzzers.
The only change I heard about was that they started giving contestants more training on the buzzer. This article seems to confirm that.
Old 05-03-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Alex had asked James about how he studies and James replied that he works on things he does not know. He seems pretty strong in art and literary categories.James' betting is the other half of the coin.https://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...426-story.html
His pattern operates on the assumption that it is much easier to score huge a few times than over a long, safe slog. You can win $1 million on a single coin flip 50% of the time, but you will never win $1 million betting $1 on millions or billions of flips. Plus it is not a truly 50/50 random proposition as the odds actually favor him. Now throw in the likelihood that at some point you will have a bad day and drop the coin and watch it roll down into a sewer grate.
Old 05-03-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by joltman
The only change I heard about was that they started giving contestants more training on the buzzer. This article seems to confirm that.
I read that in the match earlier this week which he barely won, his competitor got to watch a full day of taping (5 matches) before he was called to play the next day. Apparently they had 12 challengers in a for a day of taping 5 matches. He was one of the 2 who didn't get called to play on the first day (and would be called to play the next day), so he got to watch the way James played and realized how aggressive he needed to be. .
Old 05-04-19, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Sure - they could come up with categories that are outside of his wheelhouse - if they can figure out what's outside his wheelhouse.

I think he got 3 wrong last night. Shocking.
His depth of knowledge is truly impressive, as is his ability to instantly recall it.

Though I was a bit surprised the other day when neither he nor the other two players could identify the aardvark.

My strongest categories are science and the arts, and I do well with history. But I flounder when it comes to sports trivia and geography. I am generally astounded when people can seem to recall every river and mountain in Africa.
Old 05-04-19, 01:48 AM

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

Last week one of his challengers had been on Sports Jeopardy, so he was familiar with the buzzer.
Old 05-04-19, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

His depth of knowledge is truly impressive, as is his ability to instantly recall it.

Though I was a bit surprised the other day when neither he nor the other two players could identify the aardvark.

My strongest categories are science and the arts, and I do well with history. But I flounder when it comes to sports trivia and geography. I am generally astounded when people can seem to recall every river and mountain in Africa.
Yeah, while James has been on, I've seen 2 or 3 triple stumpers for which I've known the question. I've also seen a shit-ton of questions that I didn't know, that he did. Regardless, I'll take the small consolation of knowing some that he doesn't.
Old 05-04-19, 03:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

he's off for the next 2 weeks while they have the Teacher's tournament per Alex's sign off Friday.
Old 05-04-19, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm just the opposite. Sports and the social sciences (history, geography, law, politics) are my strengths. OK on science. Bad at pop culture (at least contemporary) and arts/literature.

But he seems strong in all of these areas. Even on the category the other night where he had to spell out the names of British PMs, he aced that (though May and Major were simple). Someone else ran a category a few days ago and I think that was the first time he didn't get at least 2 in a category.
Old 05-04-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if James knew the break was coming up when he 'streaked' away from the podium with his answer?
Old 05-06-19, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

A lot of talk about how the producers/clue makers of the show can find categories to stump James...but honestly, it's in their best interests if he keeps on winning. Their ratings/attention on the show are through the roof right now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.