Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Jeopardy Ultimate Tournament of Champions

I'm friends with Eddie Timanus, the blind Jeopardy champion. He and a few other champions were invited by IBM to test out Watson a few months ago, they all got their asses kicked. He said he got to play it 5 times, he won once on the final jeopardy question, the rest were blow outs.
Old 01-23-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I'm guessing the machine instantaneously 'reads' the question as Alex recites and it does some kind of google-like search. I assume if the computer is 'confident enough' that its answer is correct, it should be able to buzz in faster than Brad and Ken.

But it will be interesting to see the computer handle something like a "Before & After" category and DD wagering. I also wonder if they program the computer to know that DDs are rarely in the upper boxes (and thus the computer always selects the 3rd box of a category and lower when it controls).
Old 01-23-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FJ seems a little more unfair since it has a longer time to come up with an answer and doesn't have to race human thumbs.

Unless... Unless it has to use the pen and actually write out its answer in the same timeframe?
Old 01-23-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by pinata242
FJ seems a little more unfair since it has a longer time to come up with an answer and doesn't have to race human thumbs.

Unless... Unless it has to use the pen and actually write out its answer in the same timeframe?
If anything, I think the odds are more evened in FJ since there is no buzzing in.
Old 01-23-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ken and Brad seemed to do just fine once it got started.
Old 01-23-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by sauce07
I'm friends with Eddie Timanus, the blind Jeopardy champion. He and a few other champions were invited by IBM to test out Watson a few months ago, they all got their asses kicked. He said he got to play it 5 times, he won once on the final jeopardy question, the rest were blow outs.
I remember him - he was really good. Doesn't he live in Virginia? Knowing he (and he doesn't have the luxury of seeing the question - solely relying on Alex reciting it) could beat it at least once out of 5 tries gives some hope that one of the powerhouses like Brad or Ken could.
Old 01-23-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I remember him - he was really good. Doesn't he live in Virginia? Knowing he (and he doesn't have the luxury of seeing the question - solely relying on Alex reciting it) could beat it at least once out of 5 tries gives some hope that one of the powerhouses like Brad or Ken could.
He writes for the USA Today sports section and lives in the Herndon area. He was given the categories in advance so he could read any nuances in the way it was spelled, that was it, he had to time out when to buzz in. He also went on Millionaire and won a bunch, very smart guy.
Old 05-19-15, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Jeopardy! Discussion

They did "The Pen Is Mightier" but unfortunately they didn't have Sean Connery and no one said penis mightier

it was a decent week with a variety of people, glad they brought it back
Old 05-19-15, 08:09 PM
Suspended

re: Jeopardy! Discussion

A-Rodg beating an astronaut was surprising...though missing Harley Davidson was a "doh!" moment.
Old 05-19-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Most of the nights it was 2 bottom of the barrel people and 1 famous person. I tuned in for 2 or 3 of them. Didn't know that Penn had lost so much weight.
Old 05-19-15, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Penn Jillette not only looked terrible from his weight loss, but missed so many easy questions he looked like a moron.

That fuck from Dragons Den/Shark Tank finished in the red and they had to give him a few thousand pity dollars so he could play in final jeopardy.

As usual, it was painful to watch.
Old 05-19-15, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Didn't know Kevin O'Leary was on. Would have watched. Love that guy.
Old 05-20-15, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Penn Jillette not only looked terrible from his weight loss, but missed so many easy questions he looked like a moron.

That fuck from Dragons Den/Shark Tank finished in the red and they had to give him a few thousand pity dollars so he could play in final jeopardy.

As usual, it was painful to watch.
Well thats why SNL has much fun, cause a lot are that stupid
Old 05-20-15, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I completly forgot Celebrity Jeopardy was a real thing outside of SNL when I clicked on this lol. I was totally expecting a new skit.
Old 05-20-15, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

I saw the game with John Berman, Wendi McLendon-Covey, and Mo Rocca. Poor Wendi was clearly expecting a celebrity fluff match, but the two men were competing very seriously. It was funny to watch.
Old 05-20-15, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I saw the game with John Berman, Wendi McLendon-Covey, and Mo Rocca. Poor Wendi was clearly expecting a celebrity fluff match, but the two men were competing very seriously. It was funny to watch.
Yea, that did seem a bit lop-sided, two political journalists and a comedy actress. I felt bad for her.

I'm glad they did Celebrity Jeopardy again, I think the last time was when they did the invitational tournament a few years ago.

I wonder how they pick contestants? Do they somehow just put word out and see who they get? I'm guessing they don't have to do any testing.
Old 09-17-15, 03:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Jeopardy Celebrity Tournament

Originally Posted by TheKing
So when will Turd Ferguson be on?
did anyone see the joke the other night

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...tant/32544997/

also, I was kind of surprised none of the three didn't know the final jeopary question:

"This song from a 1999 animated film about censorship had a word censored from its Oscar performance"

(guess knowledge about South Park, TV in general, Trey & Matt, and Robin Williams is not high in their mind of knowing about or retaining).

~~

and yes, this is a six year thread bump, since I didn't see any other recent Jeopardy thread to interject this into.
Old 09-17-15, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

It's also being discussed in the Norm Macdonald thread, Buckfutter!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/253...e-fired-2.html
Old 09-17-15, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Turd Ferguson should be discussed in all threads.
Old 03-02-18, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: when final jeopardy wants one of two possible questions for a single answer

Bump for when Final Jeopardy results in a tie...
Now We Know What Happens When There’s A Tie On ‘Jeopardy!’
By Brett White @brettwhite
Mar 2, 2018 at 10:12am

Isn’t it kinda comforting that even after over 30 years on air, Jeopardy! still manages to surprise us? Sometimes its contestants missing painfully obvious pop culture Qs, other times its people winning the whole game with $1, and sometimes–actually very rarely–you get what happened to Laura from Tennessee and Sarah from Minnesota. Laura and Sarah actually ended the game… with a tie!

During Final Jeopardy, Laura answered a question about the European Islands incorrectly and lost $8,201, bringing her down to $6,799. The twist: that’s Sarah’s exact dollar amount. You can see the subtle shock on the contestant’s faces; okay, not so subtle with middle contestant Scott, who did a comical shrug when he realized he was the meat in a tie sandwich.

This didn’t trip up host Alex Trebek, who immediately went to a segment of Jeopardy! we rarely see: the tiebreaker!

The tiebreaker works like this: one question is asked, the first person to buzz in with the right answer wins, thus winning the game (although there’s no additional money gained for getting the tiebreaker right).

Trebek introduced the category, “Way Back in 2017,” and gave the clue: “Her April decision to call a snap parliamentary election proved less than brilliant on June 8.” Laura buzzed in and answered correctly (Theresa May) and won the tie and the game, bringing her total winnings to $19,598.

The tiebreaker has been a part of Jeopardy!’s tournament episodes, and was last seen in 2014. It’s now, obviously, a part of regular gameplay since ties can happen anywhere, even when you least expect them.
https://decider.com/2018/03/02/jeopardy-tiebreaker/

Very cute.
Old 03-02-18, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Never knew they introduced a tiebreaker. Always thought they just had both back for the next game. Does the loser still get their payout? Otherwise, it saves them money. Pretty lame.
Old 03-02-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Yeah, that surprised me, last night.

Previously, I remember both contestants coming back, and at one point they would declare the person that had the most money at the start of Double Jeopardy the winner.
Old 03-02-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Never knew they introduced a tiebreaker. Always thought they just had both back for the next game. Does the loser still get their payout? Otherwise, it saves them money. Pretty lame.
Might be recent rules change.
Old 03-02-18, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

They used to have duel champions and bring them both back the next day, at least on regular non tournament episodes. They would both get the money.

What never made sense with that rule was the person that had the highest amount going into final jeapordy would almost always bid in a maner that if he/she and the person below them were to get final jeapordy correct that he or she would win by $1. If a tie were to result in both winning, why risk that extra $1? It could and has resulted in the highest person losing when incorrect "questions" were given on final jeapordy.
Old 03-02-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
They used to have duel champions and bring them both back the next day, at least on regular non tournament episodes. They would both get the money.

What never made sense with that rule was the person that had the highest amount going into final jeapordy would almost always bid in a maner that if he/she and the person below them were to get final jeapordy correct that he or she would win by $1. If a tie were to result in both winning, why risk that extra $1? It could and has resulted in the highest person losing when incorrect "questions" were given on final jeapordy.
?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.