Reload this Page >

Jeopardy! Discussion

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Old 01-26-22, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

I wonder if the new guy will wear different colored glasses for each game.
Old 01-26-22, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Final Jeopardy category, "Countries of the World", must be jinxed. That was the Filal Jeopardy category for the game that Matt Amodio lost as well.
Old 01-26-22, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Pretty funny that James and Amy both lost to librarians from Chicago.
Old 01-26-22, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,376 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Pretty funny that James and Amy both lost to librarians from Chicago.
The following users liked this post:
Fist of Doom Jr (01-27-22)
Old 01-26-22, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 173 Posts

[QUOTE=whotony;14047900]
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Spoiler:
People are saying her whole demeanor during today's episode suggested she was done/tired/ready to move on and lost on purpose.

The same things were said about the last two.
The last two episodes or the last two champions?
Old 01-26-22, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 964 Likes on 735 Posts

I don't think Amy threw the game. Matt was more suspect in that department, as he was way behind most of the game on the day his streak ended. But tonight, Amy had a commanding lead, it was a tough FJ question, and if the librarian dude had gotten it wrong too Amy would be back tomorrow. If you're gonna tank, make sure there's no way you can win.
Old 01-27-22, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,051 Likes on 742 Posts

I was very surprised. I thought the final was pretty easy, but you could see she was struggling with it.

40 games, though. Not too shabby, at all!
Old 01-27-22, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 364 Likes on 216 Posts

Amy got the final Jeopardy answers wrong only 5 times in the first 28 days. But the next 13 days she got the final Jeopardy answers wrong 8 times.
Old 01-27-22, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 629 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I wonder if the new guy will wear different colored glasses for each game.
Those were some glasses.

The Final Jeopardy category, "Countries of the World", must be jinxed. That was the Filal Jeopardy category for the game that Matt Amodio lost as well.
I had totally forgotten that. This was a very tough question. I landed on it as I was going through South Asia in my head, but I don't think I would have gotten it down in print in time.

Originally Posted by Paff
I don't think Amy threw the game. Matt was more suspect in that department, as he was way behind most of the game on the day his streak ended. But tonight, Amy had a commanding lead, it was a tough FJ question, and if the librarian dude had gotten it wrong too Amy would be back tomorrow. If you're gonna tank, make sure there's no way you can win.
at the conspiracy theorists. Getting the late DD made it a game.
Old 01-27-22, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Those were some glasses.

I had totally forgotten that. This was a very tough question. I landed on it as I was going through South Asia in my head, but I don't think I would have gotten it down in print in time.

My first thought was that it was an Asian country. Then I just started thinking about all the sounds that end in "h"; ah, oh, ish, ash, osh. then I came to "esh" and it came to me. I would have been rushing to write it down. I would have mayby gotten the first three or four letters, then the rest would have been a quick cursive scribble.

It was one on those solutions that when you got it, you wouldn't be debating between two different possible solutions like in many Final Jeopardy clues. Only one country ended in an h, so you would know right away if you were right or not. You could see the moment the winner knew the answer and just started writing really quickly and you could see Amy leaning over going through different countries in her head.
Old 01-27-22, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those were some glasses.

In order to beat these kind of champs, you have to go big whenever you get a daily double. You either get the daily double right and you end up with at least half the value of the returning champ or you get it wrong and go into Final Jeopardy with very little money. Most risked a lot and lost which is why there was often such a huge discrepancy between Amy and the next closest challenger. It is the only way to have a chance in beating a contestant like her though.
Old 01-27-22, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 629 Likes on 505 Posts

My first thought was that it was an Asian country. Then I just started thinking about all the sounds that end in "h"; ah, oh, ish, ash, osh. then I came to "esh" and it came to me. I would have been rushing to write it down. I would have mayby gotten the first three or four letters, then the rest would have been a quick cursive scribble.
Just goes to show how different minds can work.

Figuring Asia (I briefly considered Africa but figured not), I just started going through China then south and around India - first going west to Pakistan and when I thought Pakistan, because of history, Bangladesh just popped in my head right away after Pakistan. Pure geography/history to me.

Never would have thought to noodle it your way.
Old 01-27-22, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 964 Likes on 735 Posts

In order to beat these kind of champs, you have to go big whenever you get a daily double. You either get the daily double right and you end up with at least half the value of the returning champ or you get it wrong and go into Final Jeopardy with very little money. Most risked a lot and lost which is why there was often such a huge discrepancy between Amy and the next closest challenger. It is the only way to have a chance in beating a contestant like her though.
Yeah, Librarian Guy hit two DDs, both times making them true daily doubles. Missed the first one, but it was early on, the second one put him in the game.

And I know it's a few months out, but that was another annoying thing Matt used to do; he'd wager his dollar amount on the DD instead of using the phrase "make it a true daily double". Although that's partially on the director of the show, as they only include the contestant's face, not their current dollar amount, so you didn't know it was a true daily double until the host remarked that it was.
Old 01-27-22, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 364 Likes on 216 Posts

Amy Schneider breaks silence after ending historic ‘Jeopardy’ winning streak
Old 01-27-22, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 616 Likes on 443 Posts

[QUOTE=GatorDeb;14047940]
Originally Posted by whotony
The last two episodes or the last two champions?
long running champs.
GatorDeb (01-27-22)
Old 01-27-22, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,496 Likes on 945 Posts

Amy has been looking more tired every day. I think she wore out.

I was glad to see her lose. She's likeable, but I am ready for new faces.

This year's tournament of champions between Amy and Matt Amodio will be intense. I expect both of them will be back over the next few years, like Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings were.
Old 01-27-22, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just goes to show how different minds can work.

Figuring Asia (I briefly considered Africa but figured not), I just started going through China then south and around India - first going west to Pakistan and when I thought Pakistan, because of history, Bangladesh just popped in my head right away after Pakistan. Pure geography/history to me.

Never would have thought to noodle it your way.
Yeah, I don't think I would have gotten it trying to think of all south Asian countries. I quickly elimintated any country in South America because I figured most ended with an a, another vowel, or y. Asia seemed like the most likely candidate, but outside of the obvious ones like China, India, and Pakistan, it would have taken me a long time to think of many more populous countries in Asia. I didn't realize Bangladesh would have been in the top ten most populous countries, but this was one where you knew if you were right or wrong before Ken went through everyone's answers. It wasn't one where you would be able to guess and put down a "Hail Mary" type answer and hope that it may be right.
Old 01-27-22, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought: "China, India, Indonesia, USA, um, Nigeria, ...," and ran out of populous countries. It wasn't a good strategy.
Old 01-27-22, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

....well that didn't last long
Old 01-27-22, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This show doesn’t it during the day in some markets including mine.
😡🤬
Old 01-27-22, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,051 Likes on 742 Posts

Yeah, I don't think I would have gotten it trying to think of all south Asian countries. I quickly elimintated any country in South America because I figured most ended with an a, another vowel, or y. Asia seemed like the most likely candidate, but outside of the obvious ones like China, India, and Pakistan, it would have taken me a long time to think of many more populous countries in Asia. I didn't realize Bangladesh would have been in the top ten most populous countries, but this was one where you knew if you were right or wrong before Ken went through everyone's answers. It wasn't one where you would be able to guess and put down a "Hail Mary" type answer and hope that it may be right.
For some reason, I immediately thought it probably ended with 'sh' so Bangladesh was the first thing I thought of.
Old 01-27-22, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Bangladesh is so small that I have trouble thinking of it as one of the ten most populous countries, along with the larger ones like China, India, Brazil, the US, and Russia.
Old 01-27-22, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm a geography nerd, so that final didn't seem very hard to me. but obviously that's in my wheelhouse. I do think most people don't realize how populous east Asia is. Pakistan, India, China, Indonesia, and Bangladesh are all Top 10 counties in the world. Japan isn't far off, neither are Vietnam, Thailand, or the Philippines. There's just a ton of people over there. Reminds me of this map:

More people live inside the red circle than outside of it

DeFan (01-28-22)
Old 01-27-22, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

None of these contestants knew who wrote The Good Earth.
Old 01-28-22, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

....well that didn't last long
Didn't the same thing happen to the person who beat James Holzhauer? (Except for the $0 part, of course.)

Originally Posted by whotony
None of these contestants knew who wrote The Good Earth.
It was required reading in high school. Otherwise, I would not have read it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.