TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-21, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by whotony
He was good but that’s kinda lame to go through all that and just hire yourself.
Seems like all the effort with the guest hosts was all just for show when they really knew who they had in mind all the time. I don't particuarly care for him. He comes off a little too polished and fake like some kind of unethical corporate exec that works for CVS or some other trash company. I would have preferred Jennings. He was more likable and seemed like he would be more aceepted as a replacement for Alex by the audience.
Old 08-11-21, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I don't think Richards had even planned to guest host since he was the EP. He only filled in for two weeks, because they had trouble finding guest hosts due to the Pandemic. He went from emergency fill-in to full-time host.

This article is from February: Jeopardy! welcomed its second guest host since Alex Trebek‘s death, as executive producer Mike Richards stepped into the spotlight February 22, hot on the heels of G.O.A.T. champion Ken Jennings‘ successful run.

At the start of the show, Richards explained just what he was doing there. The experienced host and multiple Emmy-winning producer explained that due to COVID some potential guest hosts were “understandably a little reticent to shoot. So, as the producer, my job is to quite literally live the mantra ‘the show must go on.'” https://www.tvinsider.com/988802/jeo...ds-do-as-host/

Old 08-11-21, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Seems like all the effort with the guest hosts was all just for show when they really knew who they had in mind all the time. I don't particuarly care for him. He comes off a little too polished and fake like some kind of unethical corporate exec that works for CVS or some other trash company. I would have preferred Jennings. He was more likable and seemed like he would be more aceepted as a replacement for Alex by the audience.
I don't think the guest host period was ever intended to be much of an audition. It was never presented as such by Jeopardy and the vast majority of guest hosts had existing gigs they weren't leaving. Outside of the ex-Jeopardy players, Burton, and maybe Bialik, who would have left their current gig to become a full time host? I think people are projecting the "audition" aspect on to it. Sure, it doesn't hurt to be able to see someone actually perform the job, but I suspect there was a lot more thought put into choosing a host than what someone did over 5-10 games (which is really what 1-2 days of taping?).

The guest hosts were something of a gimmick, bought time to select someone more permanent, and basically gave a bunch of people a chance to honor Alex and the game while giving money to charity. That's the main purpose.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jericho:
Boondock Saint (08-11-21), PhantomStranger (08-12-21)
Old 08-11-21, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jericho
I don't think the guest host period was ever intended to be much of an audition. It was never presented as such by Jeopardy and the vast majority of guest hosts had existing gigs they weren't leaving. Outside of the ex-Jeopardy players, Burton, and maybe Bialik, who would have left their current gig to become a full time host? I think people are projecting the "audition" aspect on to it. Sure, it doesn't hurt to be able to see someone actually perform the job, but I suspect there was a lot more thought put into choosing a host than what someone did over 5-10 games (which is really what 1-2 days of taping?).

The guest hosts were something of a gimmick, bought time to select someone more permanent, and basically gave a bunch of people a chance to honor Alex and the game while giving money to charity. That's the main purpose.
From what I recall, they were advertising it as a try out for a possible host for the show. They had said that some were just brought in to honor the show and Alex, like Katie Couric and Dr. Oz. But others were considered potentials for permanent host.
Old 08-12-21, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I was hoping for David Faber, which is funny considering I'd never even heard of him before he guest hosted. He felt the most like a proper successor to Alex's style.
Old 08-12-21, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Too bad the girl didn't win yesterday. She was a cutie.

Was a little annoyed that Buck did a Rodney Dangerfield impression while reading the Caddyshack clue, but Matt still got it wrong anyway so I guess it wasn't a factor.
Old 08-12-21, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paff
Too bad the girl didn't win yesterday. She was a cutie.

Was a little annoyed that Buck did a Rodney Dangerfield impression while reading the Caddyshack clue, but Matt still got it wrong anyway so I guess it wasn't a factor.
The contestant on there right now is quite good. He plays a lot more conservatively than Jeff Holthouz so he may not beat his monetary record, but he's got a good chance in beating his number of wins. If he is still in the game after tonight he will be half way there. He's got a long way to go to beat Jenning's total number of wins or regular game dollar total, but he will most likely end up with at least third place for both the records.
Old 08-12-21, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The contestant on there right now is quite good. He plays a lot more conservatively than Jeff Holthouz so he may not beat his monetary record, but he's got a good chance in beating his number of wins. If he is still in the game after tonight he will be half way there. He's got a long way to go to beat Jenning's total number of wins or regular game dollar total, but he will most likely end up with at least third place for both the records.
I never watched this Jeff person play so I have no frame of reference. Matt definitely has been a little more conservative on the last two FJs, after Clavining away $30k on Monday.
Old 08-12-21, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

I think he's talking about James Holzhauer (the other big champ), that guy is a gambler.
Old 08-12-21, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I never watched this Jeff person play so I have no frame of reference. Matt definitely has been a little more conservative on the last two FJs, after Clavining away $30k on Monday.
He seems to be a little gun shy now. Still under bidding on the Double Jeopardy's when he has a huge lead. Also he needs to stick to his first answer in final Jeopardy.
Old 08-12-21, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
I think he's talking about James Holzhauer (the other big champ), that guy is a gambler.
Yes, that's the one. For some reason I was thinking "Jeff" when I typed it. He has at least the top day single day totals of any player and probably more than ten.
Old 08-12-21, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kahuna
He seems to be a little gun shy now. Still under bidding on the Double Jeopardy's when he has a huge lead. Also he needs to stick to his first answer in final Jeopardy.
He almost always goes $2000 if he is not confident in the category or doesn't want to risk enough to be close to less than double the nearest contestant if the Daily Doubles come up close to the end of Double Jeopardy. It's a good strategy not to shoot for a big payoff in one game if you keep winning multiple games without being greedy and taking too much of a risk.
Old 08-12-21, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Aw, man.

‘Jeopardy!’ Host Mayim Bialik’s Ugly History of Shaming Weinstein’s Victims and Being an Anti-Vaxxer

Old 08-12-21, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I do wonder how many of the people who are so upset about Burton not getting the job actually watched his episodes. On paper, he seemed like such a perfect candidate. It just turned out he wasn't all that good at it. People keep blaming having a dominant champion, too, but I don't get that. In fact, I think it's beneficial to have a champion on a roll. It adds some excitement. And if he were a better fit, he could have brought some of that to his episodes.

And since some of the things I've read have focused on hoping for a minority host, I wish that they would have lobbied for others besides just Burton. Robin Roberts was much better, though maybe wasn't a realistic candidate. But I also thought Bill Whitaker stepped into the role much better than Burton. I felt like he had the potential to really grow into the role.

I think the worst of the Bialik comments highlighted in that article were the comments related to the Weinstein thing. At first as I was reading it, I was thinking that she was just being self-deprecating, but then it just got worse. The other things didn't bother me as much. Not saying I agree with it but people have different beliefs. More than anything, it just adds to this perfect storm of controversy that was already brewing about Richards. If Bialik were named the only host, it would have been a quicker blip in the media cycle, but her hiring on top of Richards just fans the flames.
Old 08-12-21, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I certainly wouldn't want him as a permanent host, but I would love to see Will Ferrell guest host at least once. He could even do it "in character", as his Alex Trebek was absolutely nothing like the real Alex Trebek.
Old 08-12-21, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang
I do wonder how many of the people who are so upset about Burton not getting the job actually watched his episodes. On paper, he seemed like such a perfect candidate. It just turned out he wasn't all that good at it. People keep blaming having a dominant champion, too, but I don't get that. In fact, I think it's beneficial to have a champion on a roll. It adds some excitement. And if he were a better fit, he could have brought some of that to his episodes.
And I just don't get how it's "exciting" to have only one person answering all the questions. At least today there was some drama, Matt had to be sure his FJ bet was enough to cover double the 2nd place contestant, or he could have lost. Ultimately it didn't matter since she didn't guess Jaws, but if she had it would all have come down to Matt's wager. THAT would be exciting!
Old 08-13-21, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

I wish Joe Buck was going to host for another week. I really like the hosting job he has been doing this week.
The following 2 users liked this post by kahuna:
Red Dog (08-13-21), The Cow (08-13-21)
Old 08-13-21, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I have been pleasantly surprised by Joe Buck as host. Also surprised that Jaws was not more readily answered given the category 'Blockbuster Movies' with Mody Dick as a clue.
Old 08-13-21, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone
I have been pleasantly surprised by Joe Buck as host. Also surprised that Jaws was not more readily answered given the category 'Blockbuster Movies' with Mody Dick as a clue.
My guess was Jaws, but the year the book came out made me doubt it. They said the book came out in 1974 and I knew the movie came out in 1975. It didn't seem like enough time to make a movie on a novel that just came out the previous year.
Old 08-13-21, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I guessed Jaws simply because of the 'Moby Dick,' but I had no idea there was a Jaws novel that the movie was based on.
Old 08-13-21, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I guessed Jaws simply because of the 'Moby Dick,' but I had no idea there was a Jaws novel that the movie was based on.
I guessed based off of Moby Dick as well even though it was a whale. It would seem like the obvious answer if you had to guess. The other two left the answer blank instead of just taking a guess. The one guy had no chance. The woman had a chance. Her best strategy would have been to bet nothing. The only way she could win is if he missed it as he would have likely bet at least $11,601 unless he made a math error. If he had missed, he would have been below $21,000. So if she bet nothing she would have won in that scenario.
Old 08-13-21, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I guessed based off of Moby Dick as well even though it was a whale. It would seem like the obvious answer if you had to guess. The other two left the answer blank instead of just taking a guess. The one guy had no chance. The woman had a chance. Her best strategy would have been to bet nothing. The only way she could win is if he missed it as he would have likely bet at least $11,601 unless he made a math error. If he had missed, he would have been below $21,000. So if she bet nothing she would have won in that scenario.
Yep. If you're in 2nd (with no 3rd place threat behind you) and the 1st place's presumable wager (to cover 2x your amount) - if wrong- would drop him below your total after DJ, bet nothing (or just bet a small amount that wouldn't drop you below 1st if they are wrong) . Not to mention that she cost herself $1,000 by finishing 3rd.

2nd needs 1st to be wrong no matter what.
Old 08-13-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
No loss. The movie was better than the book. I read it when it came out, and a third of the book was about the affair between Hooper and Mrs Brody.
Old 08-13-21, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

See?? Isn't it more interesting when strategy applies to Final Jeopardy, and not just "how much will Matt win by today?"
Old 08-13-21, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I don't like Joe Buck when he's calling football games, but he's a good game show host. If I was playing, I would have at least gotten the Final Jeopardy question right yesterday.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.