TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S5E06) -- "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" -- 5/17/15

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S5E06) -- "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" -- 5/17/15

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
Its not so much this particular incident with Sansa that bothers me. I'm just tired of seeing horrible stuff happen to a character I like again and again. I'd honestly prefer they just kill her character at this point.

Nothing south of the Wall is interesting anymore. I no longer care about the "game of thrones" because I don't want to see any of the current contenders or Tommen on the throne.
I agree. This show goes to great lengths to torture the most sympathetic characters and when the comeuppance happens, it's never as satisfying.

I wasn't here to read the reactions of Joffrey's death but I found it to be very lacking, a big "meh" moment.

The show is just hard to watch. Anything less than it ending with Dany taking over everything with Jon Snow by her side will be a letdown. And I kinda wish we could just fast forward to those episodes.
Old 05-18-15, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
2. The witch prophesized Margeary would be Cersei's downfall. She hasn't forgotten.
Technically speaking, I rewatched that scene and the witch never said Margaery but prophesized that a queen "younger... more beautiful" would cast Cersei down and take all she holds dear. And there are 2 queens on the show who could match that description.

Maybe Cersei is mistakenly taking things out on the wrong one.
Old 05-18-15, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

What about her?

Well okay actually
Spoiler:

her?
Old 05-18-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick
I actually have started to root for Stannis...meaning he'll probably die soon.
Exactly how I feel!

I thought last night's episode was a low point in an already disappointing season. The back and forth between Cersei and the lady whose name I can't remember was really good, though. I may have a pretty low opinion about the rest of the season, but Cersei has been on point.
Old 05-18-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
So, far it looks like she is. Im curious to see where this part of the story goes... and Littlefinger's master plan.
I don't think Littlefinger has a master plan as such.

He's just stirring up as much shit as he can between the great houses behind the scenes while positioning himself to be everybody's friend. He's content to sow as much chaos as he can and position himself so he can reap as much power as he can from the survivors.

He'll either be the ultimate winner in the game of thrones or someone will catch on to what he's doing and plant a dagger in his back.
Old 05-18-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Cockmerchant
Old 05-18-15, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Cockmerchant
That cracked me up. He said it with a perfectly straight face, so I assume this is an actual profession in HBO's version of the GoT universe.
Old 05-18-15, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Can't believe Margery fell for the old Perjury Trap. Guess that makes the High Sparrow the Kenneth Starr of King's Landing.
Old 05-19-15, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Guess I'm in the minority here who thinks that this might have been in the top five episodes of the series. Alot of tension that is building to something big by season end. The only bad part were the Sand Snakes. As I was watching all I could think was that the director just said wing it for a fight scene and that's what we got. Sloppy and slow.
Old 05-19-15, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I agree. This show goes to great lengths to torture the most sympathetic characters and when the comeuppance happens, it's never as satisfying.

I wasn't here to read the reactions of Joffrey's death but I found it to be very lacking, a big "meh" moment.

The show is just hard to watch. Anything less than it ending with Dany taking over everything with Jon Snow by her side will be a letdown. And I kinda wish we could just fast forward to those episodes.
That's what the show is though (and the books). You gotta stop expecting the "Hollywood-stuff". It won't happen. This is a dark and fucked up world.
Old 05-19-15, 06:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beavis69
The only bad part were the Sand Snakes. As I was watching all I could think was that the director just said wing it for a fight scene and that's what we got. Sloppy and slow.
Even Ramin Djawadi seems to agree. It's like when they handed him this scene to score, he just shook his head and turned in some rejected track out of the scrap bin.

Kept waiting for Kevin Sorbo to show up. This looked like something out of syndicated Sinbad or Atlantis. Just embarrassing.
Old 05-19-15, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
After giving it a little more thought, I think the difference in reactions to Dany & Sansa (as a villainess, I doubt that Cersei is on the same plane) is that we had barely met Dany when she was raped in episode 1. Although her fear was palpable, the implication for the audience was that this was typical Dothraki-style intercourse...not a deliberate attempt to humiliate & inflict pain upon another human being. We saw Dothraki women being shagged in public in the same posture & loving it, and we later saw that Drogo had to be instructed in the more tender ways of love. The later scenes probably had a lot to do with altering perceptions of what happened earlier.

On the other hand, we've seen Sansa grow from a child (although not the preteen of the books who was married to Tyrion) and witnessed her undergoing repeated horrors...seeing her father beheaded, hearing about the deaths of her mother & brother (and apparent deaths of Bran, Rickon, and presumably Arya), her forced marriage to Tyrion & public humiliation at Joffrey's hands, fleeing for her life with Littlefinger & witnessing his execution of Lyssa, etc. It's been one endless horror show for Sansa, and we've not only become more invested in her fate over time but also knowing that she is one of the few Starks remaining (in her mind, maybe the only one unless one counts Jon Snow). Being repeatedly spared from rape or death probably conditioned many of the audience to think she would escape once again.

Also, knowing that Ramsey is psycho, we know that Sansa is not going to tame the beast. If anything, she can only expect further & expanded horrors from her current husband.

As one blogger put it, she may be "unbroken"...but not "unbowed" or "unbent." And, as that writer said, two out of three is bad enough.
Makes sense I guess, but it's still silly to get up in arms about a fictional rape. Also, Sansa really didn't oppose it. Yes, it was forced and brutal, but she chose not to fight it because of her bigger goal.
Old 05-19-15, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

The outrage by people over the ending the other with Ramsey and Sansa is ridiculous. Game of Thrones has always been a dark show that holds NOTHING back, remember what Ramsey did to Theon and his man parts?

I don't get offended by anything on the show because the show has always been consistent and anything goes. Sure we all like Sansa, and I am not a book reader so I don't know what happens, but I assume Ramsey will pay for this somewhere down the road as he is getting into Joffrey territory of pure evil.
Old 05-19-15, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

He's been in Joffrey territory for quite some time now.
Old 05-19-15, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
The Greyjoys will be in Season 6.
As much as I'd love to see Euron and especially Victarion, this is all speculation. No one important (Weiss and Benioff) has said anything indicating that they will be a part of the show. Introducing them that late in the game would be surprising.
Old 05-19-15, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
He's been in Joffrey territory for quite some time now.
Joffrey is the Michael Jordan of evil, as Ramsey is maybe Scottie Pippen.
Old 05-19-15, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
As much as I'd love to see Euron and especially Victarion, this is all speculation. No one important (Weiss and Benioff) has said anything indicating that they will be a part of the show. Introducing them that late in the game would be surprising.
I'd prefer a Kingsmoot to the "Let's Play Cops" scenario going on in Dorne with the rescue Myrcella story line.

Although she does wear a gown nicely. http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibti...?itok=e_bdU7xl

Queen Myrcella? https://40.media.tumblr.com/a95428ba...87u1o2_500.png

Younger & More Beautiful: http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/...ir-d7mnrj6.jpg

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-19-15 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-19-15, 09:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Book spoilers / speculation regarding Sansa:

Spoiler:
I wonder if she ends up becoming Lady Stoneheart (or at least takes on that role in the series)?
Old 05-19-15, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As to the rape scene the only brutality I saw was Ramsay ripping off her dress. As to her screams, she was a virgin so there's going to be some pain and depending on how big he is maybe more than less.
It's not like he said I'm going up your pooper. Besides if you'll remember it was customary for others to strip the bride and groom, sometimes rather roughly. So having her dress ripped off isn't like it was something out of the ordinary.
It was made to look worse than it was to elicit the audience response it got.

I'm more peeved at the Sand Snakes fight, Jaime and Bronn just being able to walk into a "palace" and the Loras inquest. Tho in truth that was a set up as normally a knight and Queen would be believed over a common squire. The squire would have been tortured to tell the truth as he came to know about the birthmark.
Old 05-19-15, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, given all the other terrible stuff that has happened on the show since it started, the outrage over the episode's final scene with Ramsey and Sansa is a bit much.

And on the show, it's been well established that husband and wife are expected to consummate their marriage on their wedding night, frequently with a "Bedding Ceremony" with wedding attendees in the room watching (so if anything, just having one person, Theon, there meant the room was not crowded enough according to tradition). So I would guess D&D made it happen this way to be less objectionable to viewers, but that seems to have made no difference.
Old 05-19-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I don't know how Littlefinger's scheme is going to play out, so I'm speculating some possible outcomes...

(spoiler-tagged just in case I guess something right)
Spoiler:

Stannis attacking the Boltons at Winterfell is clearly going to happen. So there are 2 possible outcomes:

- If Stannis defeats the Boltons and takes the North. Stannis would probably kill both Roose and Ramsay and Littlefinger has said that Stannis would also probably name Sansa as Wardeness of the North. And Littlefinger already has a strong bond with Sansa so he may just ally the Eyrie with her and Stannis in that case. I don't think Littlefinger would wage war on Stannis in this situation given that he has called Stannis the best military commander in Westeros, so that's not someone Littlefinger would want to fight against in battle.

- If the Boltons defeat Stannis and hold the North, I think Littlefinger will then attack them with his own army from the Eyrie and, in the Boltons' weakened defensive state post-Stannis, Littlefinger has a good chance to defeat them. In that case, his alliance with the Lannisters kicks in and he may kill Sansa as Cersei asks to become Warden of the North. Or he may make other alliances depending on the situation at the time and support Sansa in the North. (I think he'll go with whichever option makes him stronger.)

Are there any other options to consider?
Littlefinger is NOT betraying Sansa in any scenario.
Old 05-19-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Agreed, but I think having now seen it, it would have been a better choice to excise Dorne and go with the Queensmoot and the Greyjoys. Could even work in some Dorne stuff through Diana Rigg.
Old 05-19-15, 10:13 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Littlefinger is NOT betraying Sansa in any scenario.
Yeah, and he is clearly working to put the Lannisters and Tyrells at odds.
Old 05-19-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

It seemed significant that Theon actually identified himself as Theon of the House of Greyjoy. I thought he was going to have a Hulk moment, but figured that his killing Ramsay wouldn't fit in with Littlefinger's master plan. But it turned out to be nothing (yet), like the tease of Sansa's hesitation during the wedding ceremony. But maybe the Greyjoy thing wasn't really that big.
Old 05-19-15, 10:52 AM

Oh no...no Greyjoys please...the part of the books that I even hated more than Dorn...even skipped the chapters in the end

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.