Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Men (S7E14) -- Series Finale -- "Person to Person" -- 5/17/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: How would you rate the Mad Men series finale?
A+
7.87%
A
24.72%
A-
11.24%
B+
20.22%
B
8.99%
B-
6.74%
C+
4.49%
C
5.62%
C-
2.25%
D+
0%
D
3.37%
D-
0%
F
1.12%
Didn't watch it. Have to wait until it's released on Blu-Ray
3.37%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Mad Men (S7E14) -- Series Finale -- "Person to Person" -- 5/17/15

Old 05-19-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 632 Likes on 512 Posts
Re: Mad Men (S7E14) -- Series Finale -- "Person to Person" -- 5/17/15

I found the content of the shield to be great, I just thought it was sort of hohumm in its execution.

*ducks for cover*
Old 05-19-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Here's an interesting take on the finale.

http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watch...e-world-a-coke
Interesting note about the show opening being an ad man and having everything stripped away and falling only to end up right back where he starts at.
Old 05-19-15, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw View Post
I think my favorite part was Pete. He was always such a jerk, but he grew up, learned from him mistakes, and got a chance to redeem himself and start over. Yeah, he got to become even more filthy rich (which tends to make starting over a little easier I'd imagine), but he actually seemed to change and to want a better life.
You're right. I never really liked Pete. He was a weasel. But I've liked him ever since he went to California. His excitement in the "New York Rueben" scene was great. I was happy he got back together with Trudy. She looked hot getting out of that car, he's lucking considering that comb-over.
Old 05-19-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't remember The Shield ever being episodic. I thought it was fantastic from the beginning and one of the GOAT.
Old 05-19-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

The Shield is indeed one of the best shows out there. I'd put it as my number two, behind The Sopranos.
Old 05-19-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus View Post
Vic Mackey sheds a tear. It's a shame that The Shield is often overlooked in a lot of discussions about the resurgence of high quality TV. I'd put it right up there with all of those shows. (And it had the most satisfying series finale, IMO. Note: I haven't seen The Wire yet.)
The lack of popularity for The Shield was always confusing. I think it might be because the Sopranos hit it's high water mark around that time and original programming on HBO was all the buzz. Maybe it took away from The Shield. Or maybe the show was easily buried because it was on FX.

But yes, The Shield is amazing and should be recognized with the rest of them.
Old 05-19-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it happened to be on Netflix I think it would be talked about more these days.
Old 05-19-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
The thing with Shield is that, while it started out good, it didn't get great until about halfway through. The first few seasons kinda tread water, going over the same ground, over and over, frankly getting so redundant that I almost dropped the show. Then they finally realized half way through that they need to be less episodic and more serialized, which is what kicked the show into high gear.
This really isn't the right thread to talk about the Shield, but I've only watched the first two seasons so far (I intend to watch more), and my reaction is that is that it's ok, sometimes good, but I've never really been wowed by it. Watching season 3 has been on my to do list for the last few months, and I still haven't started.

In contrast, I loved Mad Men from the beginning, and I thought it maintained top notch quality through then end of season 4. While still great, I thought 5 and 6 slipped a little, but 7 was a rebound to the first four seasons. The Mad Men high points were very, very high. On the "Mt Rushmore" of dramas, I would have it second only to the Wire.
Old 05-19-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts

Not to derail, but I think you guys are over-praising Shield because of it's final seasons casting their great shadow over the earlier seasons, as the first few seasons were nothing special. Seriously, go back and re-watch (like mwbmis is) or read an episode guide and you'll see that the early seasons were just one episode after another of pretty much the Strike team just barely getting away with something, over and over again; either almost getting caught by their superiors, or killed by gangs. It didn't really turn into greatness until it's 4th season, which is half way through the series.
Old 05-19-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The Shield was always great. I remember binge watching the first two seasons and waiting for season three to premiere. It got short changed by FX dragging out the last run of episodes and then having the majority of the final episodes "leak" months early online when they played them as scheduled in France.

Back to Mad Men .... I was just thinking: This show so heavily involved alcohol and smoking and ended with soda.
Old 05-19-15, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

slop, I've re-watched earlier seasons quite recently. The only outright stupid plot point was the NBA one. Of course season 5 is where it really ramps up, and S4 brought in some real talent, but those early seasons set the bar.

And now back to Mad Men. I think I'll rewatch the finale tonight.

Last edited by bluetoast; 05-19-15 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-19-15, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand why anyone would want to see Don giving the pitch for the Coke ad? Why? There would be no point. As soon as he opened his mouth, the audience would know he was talking about the very famous "I'd Like To Teach" ad, and that would give away the fact that it would, of course, be accepted and successful. There would be no drama, no conflict, no mystery, no will-they-or-won't-they about it. We'd know right away that the idea would be bought and made. There would really be no point in showing the process.
Old 05-19-15, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

While its a nit-pick, in the finale Don called Peggy person-to-person without knowing whether she was even working at M/E or what her phone extension was. When he walked out of the conference room, Peggy was still keeping Roger company at SC&P. It was clear that she was the first person to answer the phone call, and not a company switchboard operator, as she accepted the charges. I guess we're to assume that he noted and jotted down Peggy's planned phone extension at McCann before he walked out of there.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 05-19-15 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-19-15, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 191 Posts

Yeh, not important.
Old 05-19-15, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Yeh, not important.
Thanks.
Old 05-19-15, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

While its a nit-pick, in the finale Don called Peggy person-to-person without knowing whether she was even working at M/E or what her phone extension was. When he walked out of the conference room, Peggy was still keeping Roger company at SC&P. It was clear that she was the first person to answer the phone call, and not a company switchboard operator, as she accepted the charges. I guess we're to assume that he noted and jotted down Peggy's new phone extension at McCann before he walked out of there.
Peggy was not about to leave that job, even to be a partner with Joan. Peggy's entire story, other than her love life, revolved around her wishing she would move up to Don's job, creative director, at some point in time. Don probably always figured she wouldn't quit.
Old 05-19-15, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

While its a nit-pick, in the finale Don called Peggy person-to-person without knowing whether she was even working at M/E or what her phone extension was. When he walked out of the conference room, Peggy was still keeping Roger company at SC&P. It was clear that she was the first person to answer the phone call, and not a company switchboard operator, as she accepted the charges. I guess we're to assume that he noted and jotted down Peggy's planned phone extension at McCann before he walked out of there.
That's a good point, but I can accept it as one of those things filmmakers collapse to keep the scene from being cluttered and slowed down with non-essential stuff (sort of like how neither Peggy nor Don said "Goodbye", she just hung up the phone after her last line).

(Or maybe Don never really talked to Peggy! He was so bummed out over Megan being killed by the Manson family that he only hullucinated talking to Peggy.)
Old 05-19-15, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
That ad came out before I was born, so I wonder if people who grew up with that ad possibly appreciate the ending more? I would love to know anyone's opinion of just HOW much that ad struck a chord with the public in 1971? There are certain ads I think that happened in my lifetime that were talked about by the masses was 'Where's the Beef?' and Miller Lite 'Tastes Great, Less Filling'.
I think so. I liked the ending and I'm roughly the same age as Bobby Draper. I remember how some people would stop to watch it every time it was on and they also did a holiday version with the singers holding candles and standing in the shape of a Christmas tree. Both ads ran for a long time.

The ad is also the only time I know of that a commercial jingle became a hit record after it was rewritten to drop the Coke references.
Old 05-20-15, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,032 Likes on 2,009 Posts

We used to sing the non-Coke version in Chapel at school. We never sang any other jingles.
Old 05-20-15, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
-Yes, I firmly believe the ending isn't that ambiguous as the bell going off in Don's head was him thinking of the Coke ad. That ad came out before I was born, so I wonder if people who grew up with that ad possibly appreciate the ending more? I would love to know anyone's opinion of just HOW much that ad struck a chord with the public in 1971?
I was born in 1971, in the UK. And I remember the ad from there when I was a kid, obviously a few years after if first came out, and also from when we moved to the US in 1978. It was global.
Old 05-20-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

To nit-pick your nit-pick, a person-to-person call is not the same thing as a collect call. Back in the old days when long distance calls were very expensive, you could place an operator-assisted call that was person-to-person meaning you only pay for the call when you are connected to the person you want to talk to. When you were connected, I think the rate was higher. So Peggy HAD to be the one to accept the call, the switchboard operator at McCann would have to put the operator through to Peggy. Also, the operator did not say it was a collect call. Back in the 80's, I was still getting them because people always wanted to talk to my boss, who was out goofing off about 90% of the time. I would just say "he's not in" and the operator would disconnect and the caller would not have to pay. You could also spoof the operator to get a message home without paying, e.g. "I have a person-to-person call for Mr. Landings" to let someone know your plane landed. I suppose that would still work with collect calls. "I have a collect call for Mr. Stuckindallasthreehoursbehomelate."
Old 05-20-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
Back in the old days when long distance calls were very expensive, you could place an operator-assisted call that was person-to-person meaning you only pay for the call when you are connected to the person you want to talk to. When you were connected, I think the rate was higher.
I remember the days before call-waiting, and you would do an emergency breakthrough when a person was on the other line. If the phone was busy and you had to get in touch with that person, you could call the operator and they would buzz in and ask the person if they would accept an emergency breakthrough.
Old 05-20-15, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So did peggy do the mean joe green ad?
Old 05-20-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

I loved the conversation between Don and Betty. Her line about "I want things to be as normal for the kids as possible, that includes you not being here" was so cutting, but not cruel the way Betty probably would have delivered it in earlier seasons. It just seemed truthful.
Old 05-20-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
So did peggy do the mean joe green ad?
We'll have to leave that for the spinoff series, but it works for me!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.