Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Men (S7E14) -- Series Finale -- "Person to Person" -- 5/17/15

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: How would you rate the Mad Men series finale?
A+
7.87%
A
24.72%
A-
11.24%
B+
20.22%
B
8.99%
B-
6.74%
C+
4.49%
C
5.62%
C-
2.25%
D+
0%
D
3.37%
D-
0%
F
1.12%
Didn't watch it. Have to wait until it's released on Blu-Ray
3.37%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Mad Men (S7E14) -- Series Finale -- "Person to Person" -- 5/17/15

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Mad Men (S7E14) -- Series Finale -- "Person to Person" -- 5/17/15

I've always thought that MAD MEN was somewhat overrated. Last night's episode and everyone's reaction to it has only solidified that opinion.

Like most of the series' episodes, didn't love it, didn't hate it...it was just "okay."
Old 05-18-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Line of the night, of course, went to Roger:
"She's old enough to be her mother, in fact, she is her mother..."

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I've always thought that MAD MEN was somewhat overrated. Last night's episode and everyone's reaction to it has only solidified that opinion.
For me, it's the best TV drama ever, just ahead of The Wire.
Old 05-18-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

Like most of the series' episodes, didn't love it, didn't hate it...it was just "okay."
Honestly I agree. It was a very good series but the way it gets talked up at times as one of the best shows ever I don't know if I necessarily agree with. To me it seems like it reached a point where it got sort of old and overstayed its welcome a bit. The acting was really good and I enjoyed it a lot as a period piece, but it definitely has its highs and lows and wasn't always consistently great.
Old 05-18-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was nice that Peggy finally found happiness with Chewbacca.
Old 05-18-15, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Liked for the most part. Pretty sure they're saying Don went back and is responsible for the Coke ad.

The only bummer is that Don's last scenes with the women in his life (Betty, Sally, Peggy) were over the phone and not in person. But maybe we can read something into that...
I know this is from a few pages ago, but I think it's obvious he went back and created the ad, and not just from the similarities between the people at the retreat and in he ad. Don was there to regain a perspective not find a new way of life. Look at how he's dressed in the final scene where they're meditating and he gets the idea, he's just visiting their world he's not a part of it.

I was initially disappointed that the scenes with the women were over the phone, but they're part of the life he goes back to.

I loved the scene with Roger and Don's secretary at the beginning, translating Roger's speech into pig Latin and hoping Don was in a better place.
Old 05-18-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I love that Roger immediately fired Meredith's for translating his memo into Pig Latin (at his suggestion as a joke).
Old 05-18-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I wanna see a Mad Men movie - but just 2 hours of what would be Roger's wedding - you'd have most of the cast there, and it would be freaking hilarious!
Old 05-18-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bachelor party included of course!
Old 05-18-15, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

The finale was a little hit and miss for me. There were parts I really liked, and parts I didn't. Thought the guest actor at the end was a horrible fake crier. Took me out of the scene. Glad that all the Coca-Cola foreshadowing had a payoff, even if it was the predictable one.

Also, sorry to see that Jenna has fallen on such hard times since Wilfred's death.
Old 05-18-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I was actually born in 1971 and I remember seeing this commercial on TV quite a bit as a child. So it continued to air for many years after it was made, which is something you can't say for most commercials these days.
Same here. I was surprised to learn that it premiered in 1971. I would have figured 1975 or so.

I wish there was some final Don/Roger conversation but Roger had some good lines in this one.
Old 05-18-15, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Honestly I agree. It was a very good series but the way it gets talked up at times as one of the best shows ever I don't know if I necessarily agree with. To me it seems like it reached a point where it got sort of old and overstayed its welcome a bit. The acting was really good and I enjoyed it a lot as a period piece, but it definitely has its highs and lows and wasn't always consistently great.
Yep, you summed it up nicely for me. I never really hated the show and enjoyed sitting through plenty of episodes over the years. But the replay value for me? Virtually zero.
Old 05-18-15, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
It was nice that Peggy finally found happiness with Chewbacca.
Old 05-18-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God damn, that was just fucking perfect. I completely loved this entire season, including the finale. It definitely ended on a high note for me, after a couple of seasons that I didn't absolutely love (but didn't really dislike either).

It's just amazing the quality level of scripted television nowadays. Absolutely incredible.
Old 05-18-15, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
It's just amazing the quality level of scripted television nowadays. Absolutely incredible.
There is no more nowadays. The last President on Mount Rushmore (Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men) just died.
Old 05-18-15, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
The last President on Mount Rushmore (Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men) just died.
That's a pretty incredible Mount Rushmore.
Old 05-18-15, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yeah with this and Justified over this year , so many of my shows are gone

What is the next ground breaking show?
Old 05-18-15, 07:10 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
That's a pretty incredible Mount Rushmore.
It is, and off the top of my head the only show still airing that could make a claim is Game of Thrones. Maybe True Detective if you want to include that format? Time will tell.
Old 05-18-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck

Maybe not groundbreaking, but Better Call Saul is filling in some of the gap left by Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Other than that there are some decent cable shows still on such as Bates Motel and I would say that True Detective has potential if the subsequent seasons live up to the first.
Old 05-18-15, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck

Better call Saul is pretty sweet, check it out
Old 05-18-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I love that Roger immediately fired Meredith's for translating his memo into Pig Latin (at his suggestion as a joke).
He didn't fire her for that reason. He was keeping her around in the hopes that Don would return, but as that didn't happen, he couldn't get away with having two secretaries. I'm sure Meredith got her job back once Don came back to nail the Coke ad.
Old 05-18-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Line of the night, of course, went to Roger:
"She's old enough to be her mother, in fact, she is her mother..."
I preferred the one along the lines of, "Two lobsters... and a bottle of champagne for my mother."
Old 05-18-15, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I think he did the Coke ad but I don't know if I like it yet. There's something great about knowing that Don will go back to being Don. The best Don was when he was crushing it at those meetings. Why fight it?

On the other hand, it makes it seem that his personal journey was a big circle. We always forgave his actions because we felt he was miserable and needed to find his happiness. And in the end, it was a cult that made him realize that his happiness was always in advertising.

I could have done without Peggy and Stan. It was a fine ending but I ultimately found it unnecessary. Maybe I'm in the minority but I never really cared about Peggy's love life. I always figured she'd find someone but I was more interested in her career-wise. Her last moment with Don was fantastic. Don's always "loved" Peggy so it's good to see him think of her when he really needed someone.

Everything else was good.
Old 05-18-15, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Speaking of Pete and Learjet, did anyone think that he might die in a plane crash like his father?
YES!
Originally Posted by Lastblade
I enjoyed this finale, there were some very good closure (Peggy/Joan/Birdie). The others are good as well. I like the ambiguity of Don's ending... Good stuff.
There was no ambiguity, it was so clear it practically hit you in the head.

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
For me, Don's final revelation was the crux of the series, season, and character arc. He was on a journey for self-discovery throughout, but in the end, he realizes his true nature: he's a great ad man.

Regardless of how shallow or commercial some may find that, I think it's perfect. If only we all could discover our true nature....
Agreed
Originally Posted by Numanoid
I preferred the one along the lines of, "Two lobsters... and a bottle of champagne for my mother."
That was Funny.

So I can't undersatnd why anyone thinks it's left for interpretation as to if he created that ad.

There was no subtlety anywhere about it, all the Coke mentions the last few eps.

Especially when the guy wants him to fix the coke "machine".

I don't know music so I could be way off but I thought that the bell and the ohmmm at the end was in the same key as the musical notes heard in the commercial.

Draper finally refreshed and renewed created the ultimate jingle of the early 70's.
That's what he is and he was the king of ads at the end.

And those who wanted to see more why, what else did you need to see.
We know what happened to everyone. It was all right there on the small screen.
Old 05-18-15, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Didn't even remember this but was posted in an online review.

There was a little bit of a crumb dropped earlier in the season when Ted says there are three women in every man’s life, and Don says, “You’ve been sitting on that for a while, huh?” There are, not coincidentally, three person to person phone calls that Don makes in this episode, to three women who are important to him for different reasons. You see the slow degeneration of his relationships with those women over the course of those phone calls.
Old 05-19-15, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the ambiguity about Don’s future was gimmicky, and kind of a "dick" move, I suppose MW attempt to be artsy-fartsy. Would it have been too much to ask for something along the lines of:
 When the ad concludes in the McCann conference room, we see Don from the back, standing tall, receiving the adulation of his peers and the Coke executives (maybe even Peggy and Stan smiling, too), and then the camera pans across his office, his desk in particular, and we see a few picture frames with him and his children, from a vacation in Madrid (following Betty’s funeral), and individual frames of him with Betty and the kids, with Megan, and perhaps with Anna. Something to show us he didn’t abandon his only real family. Is that asking for too much?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.