Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Men (S7E14) -- Series Finale -- "Person to Person" -- 5/17/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: How would you rate the Mad Men series finale?
A+
7.87%
A
24.72%
A-
11.24%
B+
20.22%
B
8.99%
B-
6.74%
C+
4.49%
C
5.62%
C-
2.25%
D+
0%
D
3.37%
D-
0%
F
1.12%
Didn't watch it. Have to wait until it's released on Blu-Ray
3.37%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Mad Men (S7E14) -- Series Finale -- "Person to Person" -- 5/17/15

Old 05-18-15, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mad Men (S7E14) -- Series Finale -- "Person to Person" -- 5/17/15

This guy nailed it.

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/12/8589783...le-predictions
Old 05-18-15, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 437 Likes on 305 Posts

Enjoyed the finale.
As I thought, nothing monumental happened really. Which works for this show.

I'm sure Don did the Coke ad as well... and he's on his path to happiness.
I think they made a point of mentioning Don not having a car and for him to be trapped without one when chicky left (not just to make him realize he left on people as well) - without the car he can't run away like he always does. He had to stay and finally face the music and come to some self-realization.

Always thought Stan and Peggy would wind up together, but then dismissed it as I didn't think they'd do that on the finale - but they did. I can't say I'm a fan of them getting together as the end of the story for Peggy, but if they're going to do that - I wish they didn't choose an almost rom-com approach to it. That's the one knock on the episode - Mad Men is usually above that sort of stuff. But at least it wasn't ultra sappy or anything.

The birdie scene was pretty sad. And I liked that the only person Don reached out to in NY was Peggy - that felt right and it was a great scene.

I'm glad we got to see most of the characters in the finale. I think Ted was the only somewhat major character that was missing.

I already miss the fuck out of this show.
Old 05-18-15, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Man, that last moment with Don at peace and smiling as the bell rings is still stuck with me. And probably will be for a while.
Old 05-18-15, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by misterchimpy View Post
Hmmm. Actually, he got it almost completely wrong, except for appearance of the Coke ad, which about 75% of the Internet was predicting would come into play in the finale. There was no return to NY, and no pitch, though.
Old 05-18-15, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
I work for Learjet. Anyway someone can get a screen cap of that scene with Peter, his wife and the jet? I've got it on my DVR but no good way to cap it.
Untittfyled

Untitlkled
Old 05-18-15, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by 0073735963 View Post
Don did the ad. The receptionist at the retreat had red ribbons in her hair, just like a girl in the Coke ad.
Yes, I noticed that too. I retract my previous statement. I misspoke.
Old 05-18-15, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

^^ I've always been more of a Gulfstream guy myself.
Old 05-18-15, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Wasn't sure I liked it at first, but the more it sits with me, the more I like it. I like the layers, the multiple meanings, the ambiguity. And I like the lack of complete closure. What was the line in the episode about how sometimes people just leave your life and there aren't goodbyes?

Old 05-18-15, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
I work for Learjet. Anyway someone can get a screen cap of that scene with Peter, his wife and the jet? I've got it on my DVR but no good way to cap it.
Spoilered for size...

Spoiler:

Old 05-18-15, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 684 Likes on 508 Posts

Posted this in the Lost Horizon thread two weeks ago

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Don is accustomed to being the king of the hill and being appreciated as a artist.

That's what McCann is telling him they want but, at that meeting, he saw he was just another guy at the table. McCann isn't interested in letting him nap and go to the movies and ruminate over an account until he comes up with his singular vision.

Even though that meeting was about Miller Lite, leading every one to wonder if Don was going to get credit for the "great taste versus less filling" ad campaign, I noticed all the Coke cans around the table. I wonder if they are going to use Don's journey as an excuse for him coming up with "I'd like to buy the world a Coke / teach the world to sing"
Old 05-18-15, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In the end, capitalism wins. It's kinda depressing.
Old 05-18-15, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 344 Likes on 245 Posts

Liked for the most part. Pretty sure they're saying Don went back and is responsible for the Coke ad.

The only bummer is that Don's last scenes with the women in his life (Betty, Sally, Peggy) were over the phone and not in person. But maybe we can read something into that...
Old 05-18-15, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,579 Posts

I liked it for the most part. Glad that a light bulb finally went off in Don's head and he supposedly found happiness. I was a little disappointed there wasn't more closure with his character on screen, but I guess Weiner left the ending open for interpretation.

Also glad that Pete found happiness again along with Joan and Peggy.

Overall a pretty satisfying 7 season run.
Old 05-18-15, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Posted this in the Lost Horizon thread two weeks ago
Nice job. You and everyone else in the world came up with that idea.

But seriously, the real McCann actually did come up with the Coke campaign in 1970, so it was fairly predictable that Don would play a part in that, especially considering all of the Coke related foreshadowing that was going on in season 7B.
Old 05-18-15, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Just finished it. I thought it was a very good finale. The range of emotions were all over the place.

I loved the scenes early on with the secretaries and the stuff about Don possibly being dead.

The Don/Betty scene was good and hard to watch. The Peggy/Don scene was difficult to watch too.

I was satisfied with it. Probably need to watch one more time.

I don't remember who the blonde woman was that Don went to see though.
Old 05-18-15, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 684 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Nice job. You and everyone else in the world came up with that idea.

But seriously, the real McCann actually did come up with the Coke campaign in 1970, so it was fairly predictable that Don would play a part in that, especially considering all of the Coke related foreshadowing that was going on in season 7B.
So why wasn't everyone else posting around here predicting it then?
Old 05-18-15, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I didn't want to post right after I watched the episode as I wanted it to sink in alittle bit, so I actually watched the ending again last night just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

-Yes, I firmly believe the ending isn't that ambiguous as the bell going off in Don's head was him thinking of the Coke ad. That ad came out before I was born, so I wonder if people who grew up with that ad possibly appreciate the ending more? I would love to know anyone's opinion of just HOW much that ad struck a chord with the public in 1971? There are certain ads I think that happened in my lifetime that were talked about by the masses was 'Where's the Beef?' and Miller Lite 'Tastes Great, Less Filling.'

-I see where Weiner was going with the ending, but I still feel it was a bit anti-climatic. I look at the season 3 finale and that whole episode just hit on all cylinders, and that is why I can't ever say the Series finale was great. We all know when a Mad Men episode is great (The Suitcase first comes to mind), and again you just can't rank this one with episodes like that, so that's why I say its anti-climatic.

-I think the last few episodes of Mad Men fell into the same trap as the Sopranos where it was still developing plot lines even into the final episode. When you do this you need time to set things up so sometimes it makes the ending feel forced. I don't envy any creator of a great series on writing the series finale because its such a slippery slope either being too subtle or too bold.

-Overall, I thought it was a good finale but not great. It started off real strong in the first 20 minutes where I thought it could be one of the greatest finales, but kinda sputters to the finish line. After being disappointed in the past with Seinfeld, The Soprano's, etc, I didn't go in expecting some huge revelation. I think it's so hard to hit a home run with a series finale, that its a shame it sometimes defines a series. I think Weiner hit a double last night.

Last edited by mcnabb; 05-18-15 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
As soon as Peggy mentioned he could work on Coke I knew we would be finishing with that and not the DB Cooper theories. The Coke theory has been around this past year or so as well.

It certainly makes you look at that ad differently, at least in the show's canon, as it came from a man who was lost and had to find happiness, as opposed to some greedy execs. I'm sure Coke loved it tonight.
I'm sure they did. In the end, it fit Don's character and his whole "Capture the feeling of a moment" MO.

I tend to agree with the others, it was alright as a wrap up but sort of weaker on the Mad Men Season Finale scale.
Old 05-18-15, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Looking at the poll results, I can't believe an episode with so much Joan got an "F"

I gave it an "A" after watching it a second time.
Old 05-18-15, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
Spoiler:
Untittfyled

Untitlkled
Thanks a lot!
Old 05-18-15, 09:10 AM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I give it a solid B. Please note I have yet to watch it a 2nd time (plan to do that this evening). I liked that we got to see a little bit of everyone. Didn't expect the Stan/Peggy storyline to play out like it did -- same with Joan's. Those were both nice surprises.

In the final moments with Don, I couldn't help but be a little fearful of all the cliff's he was standing by.

You're not going to be able to satisfy everyone. I think Weiner did a decent job w/his approach to this.
Old 05-18-15, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

This is an interesting take on the ending I found from a blog:

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...18-gh4hpp.html

The guru rings a little bell, Don chants 'om' along with the rest of them, and a smile creeps across his face. He's found peace at last.

Or has he?

And this is Weiner's masterstroke, the moment that saves it all from some "happily ever after" that would have been a fundamental breach of faith for those of us who've come this far.

The scene cuts from beatific Don to the Real Thing Coke ad, with its "I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony" jingle.

That famous TV commercial is masterful and manipulative, the work of some evil ad man who took the hippy dream and reduced it to one syrupy 60-second spot in the service of commerce.

Some ad man who, perhaps in a blinding moment of revelation on a lawn in California, had come to understood the desire at the heart of that dream, to understood the ache of nostalgia, the need to connect, and the way products can be substituted for people to create the illusion that whatever we are doing, we are OK.

He must have been a man a lot like Don Draper, don't you think?

Saved? I don't think so. Just refreshed
Old 05-18-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A good finale, a great series. I this finale will hold up over time though.

Overall a satisfying wrap up.
Old 05-18-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
This is an interesting take on the ending I found from a blog:

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...18-gh4hpp.html

The guru rings a little bell, Don chants 'om' along with the rest of them, and a smile creeps across his face. He's found peace at last.

Or has he?

And this is Weiner's masterstroke, the moment that saves it all from some "happily ever after" that would have been a fundamental breach of faith for those of us who've come this far.

The scene cuts from beatific Don to the Real Thing Coke ad, with its "I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony" jingle.

That famous TV commercial is masterful and manipulative, the work of some evil ad man who took the hippy dream and reduced it to one syrupy 60-second spot in the service of commerce.

Some ad man who, perhaps in a blinding moment of revelation on a lawn in California, had come to understood the desire at the heart of that dream, to understood the ache of nostalgia, the need to connect, and the way products can be substituted for people to create the illusion that whatever we are doing, we are OK.

He must have been a man a lot like Don Draper, don't you think?

Saved? I don't think so. Just refreshed
Yeah that's basically what my take away was, he was refreshed. He basically gets to start anew.
Old 05-18-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I would love to know anyone's opinion of just HOW much that ad struck a chord with the public in 1971? There are certain ads I think that happened in my lifetime that were talked about by the masses was 'Where's the Beef?' and Miller Lite 'Tastes Great, Less Filling.'
I was actually born in 1971 and I remember seeing this commercial on TV quite a bit as a child. So it continued to air for many years after it was made, which is something you can't say for most commercials these days.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.