Reload this Page >

Harry Shearer Tweeted That He’s Been Fired From “The Simpsons”

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-14-15, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Well, it seems that TMZ was correct. Someone from the cast had not been signed for the upcoming seasons...

Harry Shearer will no longer be on The Simpsons.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/...ns#.tezjMbn1AP
Old 05-14-15, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: The Simpsons (S26E21)- "Bull-E"- 5/10/2015

Originally Posted by windom
Well, it seems that TMZ was correct. Someone from the cast had not been signed for the upcoming seasons...

Harry Shearer will no longer be on The Simpsons.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/...ns#.tezjMbn1AP
That is massive news that deserves its own thread. He voices characters like Ned Flanders, Mr. Burns, Waylon Smithers and Principal Skinner. They may have to find a replacement for those voices.
Old 05-14-15, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That is massive news that deserves its own thread. He voices characters like Ned Flanders, Mr. Burns, Waylon Smithers and Principal Skinner. They may have to find a replacement for those voices.
Massive news indeed. You would think there are too many major characters for them to just write out of the show. I'm sure there'll be people who can get close to pulling off those characters, but will that be enough.
Old 05-14-15, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Fuck. This is huge news and aside from a sound alike I'm not sure how the show will proceed losing the voice of so many characters.
Old 05-14-15, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr. Burns
Waylon Smithers
Ned Flanders
Principal Skinner
Otto
Reverend Lovejoy
Dr Hibbert
Kent Brockman
Jasper
Lenny
Eddie (the cop)
Rainier Wolfcastle (McBain)
Scratchy
Kang
Mr. Bouvier (Marge's father)
Dr. Marvin Monroe
Herman
Mr. Largo
Marty (from KBBL)
Dr Loren J. Pryor
Jebediah Springfield
Judge Snyder
Sanjay (Apu's brother)

edit: I'm sure there's little to no chance that they find one voice actor to take over all these roles. Many of Shearer's characters can probably be dropped from the show, but I don't think it would be that difficult to find a couple people to team up and do the voices for Mr. Burns, Smithers, Ned Flanders, etc that sound alike.

Most of Phil Hartman's characters were retired from the show, but that probably was just out of respect to Hartman. If Phil Hartman had just quit the show and wasn't murdered, they could have found another voice actor to keep Troy McClure and/or Lionel Hutz going.

Last edited by RoyalTea; 05-14-15 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-14-15, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

They now have up to $300,000 per episode to hire multiple people for these parts.
Old 05-14-15, 07:34 AM

Stupid Sexy Flanders

They almost have to recast those characters. It's one thing to lose Edna Krabapple, but to lose so many of your supporting cast all at once? Unless you have the Simpsons leave Springfield, there is no valid explanation for all of these characters to suddenly disappear.
Old 05-14-15, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

I have to think Dan Castelenetta and Hank Azaria could probably do pretty reasonable versions of many of those characters, but this might be the thing that kills the show for me. I've been watching since day one.
Old 05-14-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Let the greedy bastard go. He wasn't getting paid enough for working a couple hours a week??? That gave him plenty of time to do other things (if that's what he really wanted).
Old 05-14-15, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

I get that Fox has made billions off this show, but really Harry? Easiest gig in all of acting and he is probably the highest paid voice actor in show business (along with other Simpsons talent). Why not ride that gravy train until the show is dead or you are dead? Terrible
Old 05-14-15, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I get that Fox has made billions off this show, but really Harry? Easiest gig in all of acting and he is probably the highest paid voice actor in show business (along with other Simpsons talent). Why not ride that gravy train until the show is dead or you are dead? Terrible
Apparently it has less to do with pay and more to do with restrictions imposed on the VAs. But who knows, I haven't seen the documents. The guy is 71 years old, and there may be things he still wants to do in his life time that he can't while under contract.

On the bright side, Rick and Morty are on next weeks couch gag.
Old 05-14-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Let the greedy bastard go. He wasn't getting paid enough for working a couple hours a week??? That gave him plenty of time to do other things (if that's what he really wanted).
If you've ever heard an interview with Shearer he will readily admit that the money he makes on the Simpsons is more than he could have ever imagined making and that he lives well because of it. He also says that based on how much money the property brings in for Fox that the actors are getting ripped-off. Both things can be true. They are not mutually exclusive. My feeling is that those characters are nothing without the voice actors. For all intents and purposes they are the characters and should be compensated as such.

Unless they are able to get some amazing sound-a-likes, I'm not sure how this will work out. They failed miserably when Maggie Roswell left and Shearer is so distinctive that I just can't imagine it not being painfully noticeable. Heck, I can barely watch current episodes just based on how much the voices of the original actors have changed over 20+ years.
Old 05-14-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Now it looks like Shearer is backing away from that tweet, saying that he's open to staying on if allowed more freedom to do other projects. I'm sure they'll work something out.
Old 05-14-15, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Harry Shearer Tweeted That He’s Been Fired From “The Simpsons”

So next season begins with a massive plane crash at Springfield airport.

Really, after a quarter century we should expect more and more of the actors to retire. They should just call it quits now.
Old 05-14-15, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The radio this morning said he left because FOX wouldn't let him work on other projects which seems strange. It's not like he couldn't phone in his performance (literally) from somewhere. Why not let him do other stuff?
Unless maybe they are trying to get reasons to let him go. Maybe they hope other actors will follow suit and they can end the show.
Old 05-14-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Now it looks like Shearer is backing away from that tweet, saying that he's open to staying on if allowed more freedom to do other projects. I'm sure they'll work something out.
They would have to work something out, right? I just can't see how this show goes on without any of the main cast.
Old 05-14-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This would have been horrible news for me... 16 years ago. The show has survived being a sad, shadow of its former glorious self for years. It will survive this.
Old 05-14-15, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Nth Power
The radio this morning said he left because FOX wouldn't let him work on other projects which seems strange. It's not like he couldn't phone in his performance (literally) from somewhere. Why not let him do other stuff?
Unless maybe they are trying to get reasons to let him go. Maybe they hope other actors will follow suit and they can end the show.
They've already built a recording studio for him in his fucking home, just so he won't have to drive a few minutes to the studio twice a month. They've already given him the moon.
Old 05-14-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to sit at home and make that much money. Hell, I would do it for 1% of the money he makes. Sometimes it boggles my mind how good these people have it.
Old 05-14-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The money he makes is a small chunk of the revenue the show rakes in. If he hadn't secured that chunk for himself, it'd be going into the Newscorp coffers.
Old 05-14-15, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nth Power
I would love to sit at home and make that much money. Hell, I would do it for 1% of the money he makes. Sometimes it boggles my mind how good these people have it.
I hear you, but it always comes down to how much a company (Fox) will pay someone.

Let's say you take the job for 1% of what he makes, and you start getting national attention for being great at the voices. Chances are, you're going to start looking at what your co-workers make and want more. That's just the way we're all wired.
Old 05-14-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Now imagine you have all the money you need, and something in the contract says you can't help your nephew out with his show because it's on CBS or something stupid.
Old 05-14-15, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikael79
I hear you, but it always comes down to how much a company (Fox) will pay someone.

Let's say you take the job for 1% of what he makes, and you start getting national attention for being great at the voices. Chances are, you're going to start looking at what your co-workers make and want more. That's just the way we're all wired.
They all got the same deal, he's the only one who balked. If you admit you already make more money than you need, then it's all about ego plain and simple. And looks like his ego screwed him out of an easy gig.
Old 05-14-15, 12:39 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

By now, you’ve likely heard the stupid, not-so-sexy news that the great Harry Shearer has departed The Simpsons after two-plus decades of voicing Principal Skinner, Mr. Burns, and the adult Bort from “Itchy & Scratchy Land.” Shearer says it’s because he wants “freedom to do other work,” which he could’ve had even if he signed back on. According to Alan Sepinwall, “He could do virtually the whole job by phone.” Shearer still declined.

So, what happens to The Simpsons, specifically Shearer’s clown car of characters, now?

When asked whether Burns, Flanders, Otto, and other Shearer characters would continue, [showrunner Al] Jean said, “Yes, Burns and Flanders will not die. They are great characters and will continue.” (Via)

They’ll continue, with someone else’s voice. This isn’t Mila Kunis replacing Lacey Chabert after one season of Family Guy, though. These are some of the most iconic characters in TV history, and it’ll be interesting/maddening to see who Jean and the producers pick. (It’s going to be Billy West, isn’t it? It’s always Billy West.)
http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/05/simpson...harry-shearer/
Old 05-14-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's an idea: Instead of recasting they should take opportunity to change the show up, bring in some fresh talent/new characters.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.