Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck (HBO) - premieres 5/4/15

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-15, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck (HBO) - premieres 5/4/15

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
what musician has had a 20 year career all of perfect hits
PJ Harvey. Well, maybe not hits, but it's hard to find a bad album in her discography.
Old 05-10-15, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
One of the biggest criticisms he has received, which I didn't see posted here, was that he didn't interview Grohl.
He did interview Grohl, but due to Dave's Sonic Highways project, it wasn't done until December. By then, the edit was already done and he couldn't find a place to fit it in the movie. I wouldn't be surprised if it's included in the DVD extras.
Old 05-10-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

I'll probably watch the movie but I don't care a little bit about Cobain.
I hated the band and as far as I'm concerned they ruined music for the next decade and longer
due to all the bands that tried to copy that miserable grunge style.
Old 05-12-15, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah I agree about the documentary feeling really invasive. Hell they even mention in the documentary more than once how much he hated being humiliated. If he was around I have to imagine that he'd view this film as the ultimate humiliation. Of course he's been over-exposed since his death, but this really feels like the family and others who knew him trying to cash in on his fame and paint it out like he had issues but don't really want to take blame for messing up his life. I feel bad for him a bit after watching this documentary as it does seem like he had a really screwed up life even before he got into drugs and whatnot later in life. I also didn't care for the animated segments and some stuff in it just went on too long. I overall didn't really care much for it.
Just prior to reading this thread I read an interview with Brett Morgen on NPR that kind of addresses this...

How did you approach his drug use? What did you want to say about it or how did you think about it in the context of this project?

Well, when I started the project. I certainly wasn't going to try to make any statement about it. That's not how I work or operate. I wasn't trying to make a social issue film. But I think in part of the idea of presenting this story in an honest way, we needed to address it.

There's this scene that's been getting a lot of — people have been talking quite a bit about where Kurt and Courtney are trying to give Frances her first haircut, and Kurt is very heavily sedated. This happens very late in the film, he's got blemishes all over, he's emaciated, and he's falling asleep while he holds his daughter in his hands, and it's terrible, and it's horrific, and it's something that nobody wants to see. And when I screened the film for Kurt's mother and sister for the first time, they were horrified, as one would expect. I think Wendy Cobain would have preferred, and I don't blame her, a rose-tinted view of Kurt, maybe Saint Kurt, and was like, "Why do we need to do this to him?"

But it wasn't Wendy's story to tell, it was Frances' and I was operating off her desire to tell the story in an honest way.

How did she feel about it?

She never blinked, but I'll share something with you. Kim Cobain, Kurt's sister, was very upset and said to me, "You know, my brother was really embarrassed about his heroin use, do you think he would want this in the film?"

And I said, "You know, Kim, the one thing you've always shared with me is that Kurt's biggest fear was that he would inspire or influence kids to do heroin, and I don't think there's anything in this picture that's romanticizing it. In fact, if anything it's doing the opposite. And there's a slight chance that there may be one kid who sees this movie and as a result decides not to do heroin, and I have a feeling if your brother was here and was given the choice of saving one life or selling 100 million records, he would choose to save the one life."

And sure enough at the third screening of this film at the Sundance Film Festival, a young woman came up to me in tears, shaking, and telling me that the experience of watching the film was what she needed to overcome her own battles of addiction.

Without that image, we're once again just propagating this myth, because everyone knows Kurt's associated with heroin, but we haven't seen the face of it. The idea was not to tear him down, nor was it to put him on a pedestal. It was just simply to look him in the eye, and I feel that when you strip away the layers of mythology to reveal and reveal the man, the man is so much more endearing and dynamic than the myth.
http://www.npr.org/2015/05/03/403568...ontage-of-heck
Old 05-12-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Finally got to watch this. One of the best documentaries I've seen in a long time. I really liked how they had different sounding instrumentals of some of Nirvana's songs playing in the background.

I thought the animated segments added a lot to this as well.