Reload this Page >

Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Old 08-31-22, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

The commercials for some kind of "ice cream-but-not-ice cream"-like dessert bar from Oatley. There's an average joe enjoying the bar and the person behind the camera says "I bet you'd be surprised that (the bar) contains no tuna", or something like that There's several of them with different oddball ingredients that the bar doesn't contain. I find it more annoying than clever.
Old 09-21-22, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

More than just annoying, this commercial is actually insulting to your intelligence. Like the only thing you can possibly think about is how incredibly obvious it is that LeBron and “Lilly” aren’t in the same room together.

I know Subway did something similar but in that case, at least you could understand how hard it would be to schedule Tom Brady, Steph Curry, Megan Rapino and Serena into a shoot together. What the hell was Lilly doing that she was too busy to fly to L.A. and shoot a spot with LeBron for real?

Had to laugh at the “Behind the Scenes” video AT&T shot with LeBron standing by a Green Screen. The commercial is with Lilly, not Thanos or Bugs Bunny.
Old 09-22-22, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I just want to punch that guy.
Old 10-21-22, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
More than just annoying, this commercial is actually insulting to your intelligence. Like the only thing you can possibly think about is how incredibly obvious it is that LeBron and “Lilly” aren’t in the same room together.
https://youtu.be/6Z1aXnlqkmM

I know Subway did something similar but in that case, at least you could understand how hard it would be to schedule Tom Brady, Steph Curry, Megan Rapino and Serena into a shoot together. What the hell was Lilly doing that she was too busy to fly to L.A. and shoot a spot with LeBron for real?

Had to laugh at the “Behind the Scenes” video AT&T shot with LeBron standing by a Green Screen. The commercial is with Lilly, not Thanos or Bugs Bunny.
https://youtu.be/H_CV_hQDsfw
I just noticed that this thread is in TV talk while the "commercials you love" is in other.

One thing that stands out to me about this Lebron/Lilly commercial, besides the obvious "can't be bothered to film together" stuff, is that it's such a generic commercial so much so that you could just re-record some of Vayntrub's lines and change the green screened billboard when the "must have" iphone 15 comes out. Lebron, IIRC, only ever says "iphone" not "iphone 14."

I kind of hate the Toyota ads where they are similarly cheap with reuse, where there's a white background and CGI'd words/terms that the actors look up at but never really read out loud.
Old 10-21-22, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I kind of hate the Toyota ads where they are similarly cheap with reuse, where there's a white background and CGI'd words/terms that the actors look up at but never really read out loud.
Haven’t car companies been doing this for awhile? I know that “Hey, I bought us both a GMC for Christmas!” Commercial has played for several years and I don’t imagine they’re showing last year’s/two years ago models in the ads.
Old 10-22-22, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Haven’t car companies been doing this for awhile? I know that “Hey, I bought us both a GMC for Christmas!” Commercial has played for several years and I don’t imagine they’re showing last year’s/two years ago models in the ads.
They do with the trick being that the cars aren’t really in the same shot as the people so they just insert the latest car and deal. The Toyota ones are worse because they’re like “wow look at this deal” in such generic terms.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (10-22-22)
Old 10-30-22, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,209 Posts

The Chevy EV ad featuring the song 'Everywhere' by Fleetwood Mac. This is the stupidest advertisement ever created. I love this song by the way, but having all these young people jamming out and singing along to that song strains believability so much I almost don't believe electric vehicles exist anymore.
Old 10-31-22, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 227 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^ I’ll occasionally watch Cartoon Network at night before I go to bed and they play A LOT of Medicare commercials (literally at least one per commercial break). I’m not sure if they’re the same company but it’s Joe Namath or Jimmy “JJ” Walker doing the commercials instead if Shatner.
Woo hoo! There's a fourth one now featuring William Devane.
Been seeing these commercials for months now, is there a time of the year they don't show the commercials?

Old 01-30-23, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

I hate the whole Jared campaign of fake suffering but this commercial takes the cake. Between the horrible acting and even worse dialogue, this Jared commercial is one I loathe

Old 01-30-23, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

ANYTHING to do with sports gambling. It has gotten fucking ridiculous.

Watching a hockey game, there are commercials for it. During the intermission show, there is a short segment on it. During the game, there are occasional sidebar ads for it. It's also superimposed on the boards, during the game. JFC, enough already.

Fortunately, I can skip the first 2, because I always watch the games on PVR delayed enough to skip them. The third, is brief enough that I don't bother, unless I've already got the remote in my hand. The fourth is unavoidable, and updates while the play is going on. Any of the board ads piss me off, as they're very distracting.
Old 01-30-23, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

How about the Toyota commercial where the kid keeps saying "why?"

I may not buy a Toyota, but I'm definitely buying a pack of Trojans after seeing this ad.
Old 01-30-23, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

Speaking of autos, what about the Hyundai 'WAH' commercials. Ugh. Just shut up.
Old 02-01-23, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I think I already hate the M&M's rebranding with Maya. MA & YA's is just stupid
Old 02-01-23, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Yeah it’s pretty stupid.
plus they made only 500 bags with that on them. Not sure who was able to buy them. I do know all the candy collector influencers got free bags of them.
Old 05-10-23, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

God, I hate that new commercial for Dunkin with Ben Affleck at the counter talking about stooping to make a commercial.

1) The meta thing is just fucking irritating. Yes, you have two Oscars. But apparently paying the team of wizards that keep your wife looking like that is more expensive than you thought.

2) He's doing a fake Boston accent that he doesn't have in real life. WE KNOW HOW YOU TALK, BEN!!!

3) The idea that the Dunkin employees think he's Matt Damon is just SO FUCKING STUPID. It's 2023. No one confuses the two of you.
Old 05-10-23, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

I like that one.
Old 05-10-23, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

You think he made the commercial because he needs money?
Old 05-10-23, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
You think he made the commercial because he needs money?
No, but I'm certain they did pay him a lot.
Old 05-10-23, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course they did. He's been making free ads for them with his meme pictures for years. Why not get a bag for it?
Old 05-10-23, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course they did. He's been making free ads for them with his meme pictures for years. Why not get a bag for it?
Not criticizing him for making Dunkin commercials. I am saying I hate that commercial because all the elements of the commercial are fucking moronic.
Old 05-31-23, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That Superbowl dad getting his kid a binky commercial was cute when I first saw it, then they ran it into the ground and all I could think was man what a spoiled kid.

I see they have a shortened version which changes the story where the dad is rushing to make a dinner reservation (it's the same commercial just with a different voiceover and cut to make it seem like he's arriving for dinner and meeting his wife and baby0
Old 05-31-23, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the bump. The latest Nissan ads with I think Brie Larson asking why cars don't look cool like 'an ancient sword' or 'the future' are so bereft of inspiration they sound like they were written by AI that was programmed by a bored 8th grade Dungeons and Dragons player.

PS - the Nissans in question don't look like 'an ancient sword' or 'the future', the only two examples ever given about what a cool car might look like.
Old 05-31-23, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by L. Ron zyzzle
Thanks for the bump. The latest Nissan ads with I think Brie Larson asking why cars don't look cool like 'an ancient sword' or 'the future' are so bereft of inspiration they sound like they were written by AI that was programmed by a bored 8th grade Dungeons and Dragons player.

PS - the Nissans in question don't look like 'an ancient sword' or 'the future', the only two examples ever given about what a cool car might look like.
Yeah, I like Brie but it's not like that commercial is featuring space age designs, except maybe for the one they don't show (ooh, what could it be?)

I do kind of like the newer John Cena Honda commercial going over their history, though again I don't remember a single car from it.

Oh I remember another one I find annoying, the dude in the hybrid wanting to use the squeegie.
Old 05-31-23, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by L. Ron zyzzle

You mean the EV that looks like it could be a 10yo Rogue isn't "the future"?? Color me shocked.

Old 05-31-23, 12:39 PM

You mean the EV that looks like it could be a 10yo Rogue isn't "the future"?? Color me shocked.
Maybe it's meant to look like 'an ancient future.'

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.