Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by eXcentris
^ Yeah, I messed up. That's the one!
They've both got some really rare disease that stunts their growth.
Old 01-04-21, 05:26 AM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly? I hate all of them.... waste of time to watch them and listen to them. They always tell you what you have to buy because it's better. In 90% cases it's not better than any of their competitor's products, so why to pay extra just because they advertise?
Old 01-04-21, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I actually like the Mayfield commercials, and I can't stand the Browns. They actually get me to like Baker a bit, and that's saying something. The commercial that annoys me the most right now is the AT&T one where the customer claims to call his mom but it ends up "some guy named Carl". It's not funny, and it makes no sense that someone would try to call their mom, get someone else, but still relay the "deal" and hang up without any indication of the mix-up. I mean, aren't you a little concerned about your mom?!?!? Or how in the hell are you organizing your contacts where "Mom" and "Carl" can get mixed up?
Old 01-04-21, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by bralph
I actually like the Mayfield commercials, and I can't stand the Browns. They actually get me to like Baker a bit, and that's saying something. The commercial that annoys me the most right now is the AT&T one where the customer claims to call his mom but it ends up "some guy named Carl". It's not funny, and it makes no sense that someone would try to call their mom, get someone else, but still relay the "deal" and hang up without any indication of the mix-up. I mean, aren't you a little concerned about your mom?!?!? Or how in the hell are you organizing your contacts where "Mom" and "Carl" can get mixed up?
I don't think any of those AT&T commercials make much sense. They are all just to play off of the cute awkwardness of Lily.
Old 01-04-21, 10:34 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

can someone tell me why each and every commercial break for ANY show on tv, cable, etc. has a car commercial or 2 or 3? i mean every single one, car ad. i don't get it. do they have the most money for such advertising?
Old 01-04-21, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
can someone tell me why each and every commercial break for ANY show on tv, cable, etc. has a car commercial or 2 or 3? i mean every single one, car ad. i don't get it. do they have the most money for such advertising?
Must be effective or something. Maybe it's just the shows I watch but I think I see the most commercials for:
Car Insurance
Cars
Wireless service
Beer (this might be because most of the live TV I watch is sports)
Some form of medication that has a wall of text

As far as car commercials go, I still don't know who is rich enough to buy a new car for their spouse without even talking to their spouse about it at all, let alone a high end car. And are they really watching the same shows as me?
Old 01-04-21, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The car commercials that really bug me are the ones for Lincolns, where the wife/mother comes home and finds the house in chaos, so she goes back to her car for a nap or something (I guess). WTF? Is she going to stay out there the rest of the night? What's she doing? Listening to music? Sleeping? That's not painting her as a very good parent; more like a stuck-up 1%-er who doesn't want to deal with her kids.

Although in her defense, I wouldn't want to deal with the little brats either. lol
Old 01-04-21, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I know I’m not the audience for car commercials since I don’t imagine I’ll ever buy a brand new car but in the few times I’ve bought a new (to me) car, seeing it in ads was about the last thing I used to determine my purchase. You would think car companies could put that ad money toward making a better car that will come out on top in Consumer Reports, etc. reviews.

I can understand commercials that convince me to try a new beer or fancy coffee that is only going to put me out a few dollars if I try it and don’t like it but a $30,000 - $50,000 car? Screw that!
Old 01-04-21, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Mayfields Gf or wife seems like a nag in those commercials
Old 01-04-21, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can’t say I’m a Browns fan or even a Mayfield fan but those commercials crack me up. To be honest, I’m not even sure what those commercials are advertising but almost all of them make me laugh.
Old 01-05-21, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Those Allstate commercials with the Edith Piaf song in French are annoying as hell. I used to like Edith Piaf and that song, but I will now hurt myself getting to the remote to change the channel or mute it when it comes on.
Old 01-05-21, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

The new Gieko commercial with Tag Team is really bad. However, the parents doing the Kid & Play dance at the end is great.
Old 01-15-21, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I am beyond sick of that Liberty Mutual Christmas commercial where one kid is excited to receive an insurance box while the other has a tantrum because he got a bike.

I F*&$ING HATE THAT COMMERCIAL!
Old 01-15-21, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 347 Posts

Nose cleaners. Can't recall the brand but the whole concept is GROSS and they always come on when I'M EATING!!! Doesn't matter that they aren't really too graphic, but the whole idea of washing snot and gunk and whatever else out of your nose is NOT something that should be advertised! Put up a poster in the doctor's office or something! Don't talk about hosing out your nose on TV!!
Old 04-09-21, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I’ve been seeing this fucking guy in these Ent Credit Union commercials a lot lately. I guess if they were looking for someone to portray the smarmy personification of a bank, they found the right dude.

Old 06-11-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm all for kids being confident, but something about this one I find a bit annoying...

Old 06-12-21, 11:23 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

As with the pretentious Cadillac commercials I started this thread with like 6 years ago, I cannot stand the new ultra pretentious Lexus commercials with these morons practicing their "motivational" speeches. God they suck. The universe needs to give me more "just ok is not ok" commercials to make up for it
Old 06-12-21, 04:13 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Two of them right now.

The Progressive one with the Pet Shop Boys' song "Opportunities". So.sick.of.it.

Right now hating those damn Applebee's commericals, especially the one with the "Welcome Back Kotter" song. That one has been a fucking earworm in my head for about a week now! AUGH!
The following users liked this post:
TheMovieman (06-12-21)
Old 06-12-21, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
Two of them right now.

The Progressive one with the Pet Shop Boys' song "Opportunities". So.sick.of.it.

Right now hating those damn Applebee's commericals, especially the one with the "Welcome Back Kotter" song. That one has been a fucking earworm in my head for about a week now! AUGH!
I am so with you on the PSB commercial. Love the group, like the song, HATE the freakish hood ornament.
Old 06-14-21, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are those newish Sonics commercials supposed to be celebrities or something? Otherwise I don't get them, are they supposed to mimic normal banter when getting Sonics? They are just super boring. At least when they had the two comedians they were occasionally funny.
The following users liked this post:
Cusm (06-16-21)
Old 07-15-21, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

I don't know if I "Hate" this commercial -- it's probably too short to be that offensive -- but I don't really understand it.

Was there a time people weren't wearing real pants? And that was recently? Are they saying people weren't wearing pants during quarantine (and quarantine was a while ago anyways), because I was the whole time.
And how does that help sell American Express cards anyway?
Old 07-15-21, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't know if I "Hate" this commercial -- it's probably too short to be that offensive -- but I don't really understand it.

https://youtu.be/9p8NxjibTwE

Was there a time people weren't wearing real pants? And that was recently? Are they saying people weren't wearing pants during quarantine (and quarantine was a while ago anyways), because I was the whole time.
I am probably just a bum but if I'm working from home I'm just wearing a t shirt and shorts. This is probably less quarantine and more people finally going back to the office (which I realize varies by state and company but I swear this commercial's been on for a while)

At least I like this one better than the "I woke up in the hotel and how the hell did I get here" commercial. Or "Who goes right back to sleep after some scumbag got ahold of your personal information? You do."
Old 07-15-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I’ve seen this commercial a handful of times but I must not have been paying attention because I had no idea it was an AmEx commercial. I would have sworn it was for some sort of weight loss program (Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig) or something.

I guess rewatching it from a pandemic perspective makes sense. Still not sure what it has to do with American Express though.
Old 07-16-21, 10:08 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I work from home and Pandemic kept me home and even when I went out wore shorts so I totally get it. To be honest I am in just underwear most of the time and pretty much avoid pants unless needed. I know some work from home people that wear suits so I guess the inference would miss a section of people.
Old 07-16-21, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I work from home and Pandemic kept me home and even when I went out wore shorts so I totally get it. To be honest I am in just underwear most of the time and pretty much avoid pants unless needed. I know some work from home people that wear suits so I guess the inference would miss a section of people.
Yeah but even the ones who wear suits aren't wearing dress pants... :P

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.