Reload this Page >

Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Old 03-10-20, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 198 Likes on 146 Posts
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

I've been rewatching Mythbusters on Hulu and every damn [forced] commercial break they're showing an ad for Street Outlaws. The commerial makes the people in it look like a bunch of raging douchebags with such gems as "Just when you think you've got it figured out, the street is gonna throw you a curveball" and "Let's do it!" coming from a dude in a button down shirt with the sleeves cut off.

They did accomplish one thing with the ad. It makes the Fast and the Furious movies look like Oscar gold by comparison.
Old 03-10-20, 08:05 AM
Admin

Received 152 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Pretty sure this was mentioned, but what the fuck is up with the Cheers homage Domino’s commercial where they have George Wendt going up to checkout counter and awkwardly saying “I’m Norm.” expecting her to know him and then he’s gone in a zap. And all these other customers come up and they know them by name. Which is whatever new thing they were advertising for. It’s the worst thing I’ve seen in a long time and to do that to my all time fav comedy. Travesty! I wonder how much he got paid for that piece of shiite...
Every Dominos commercial is a gimmick because their pizza sucks.
Old 03-10-20, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Every Dominos commercial is a gimmick because their pizza sucks.
This is kinda funny. It's a common stance that Domino's sucks and I've never heard anyone say they like it nor seen anyone eating it (work, parties, etc). Yet people must eat it because they're still around. Who are these people? It's not "cheap" people because Little Caesars is the go-to there.

Hell Domino's even had an ad not too long ago admitting their pizza sucked.

So weird.
Old 03-10-20, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 323 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
This is kinda funny. It's a common stance that Domino's sucks and I've never heard anyone say they like it nor seen anyone eating it (work, parties, etc). Yet people must eat it because they're still around. Who are these people? It's not "cheap" people because Little Caesars is the go-to there.

So weird.
Little Caesars didn't deliver (until recently) though, so I can understand the niche that Dominos has carved out for themselves.
Old 03-10-20, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

*shrug* I like Domino's, especially their pan pizza. I buy from their "2 for 5.99 each" special relatively often. I like Papa John's too. I got a little sick of Domino's because my son loved it but that's a different story. I even bought Little Caesar's last week (it wasn't as good as I remember, and I miss when it actually was PizzaPizza on the cardboard tray in a paper bag.)
That's not to say I don't enjoy "better/fancier" pizza, but if Convenience and Price are twice as good at one place, for only a small percentage drop in quality, I'm fine with that. In fact, I had a crazy expensive "fancy" pizza last week that I didn't really enjoy. Well, rephrase - I enjoyed it, but to me it was not worth the massive upcharge and I won't get it often. Then again, while I have some favorites, I have had very few "bad" pizzas, assuming the pizza is hot and cooked correctly. I like NY thin, I like Chi deep dish, I like Chi crispy, I like mainstream you-know-what-you-will-get, I like local hole-in-the-wall. Shoot, one of my favorite pizza places has been using a canned sauce since they opened ~40 years ago and they are totally up front with that fact.
[/crossoverwithUnpopularOpinionsthread]

Other commercials - weird commercials that seems more like a college kid's avant garde media project than an attempt to sell something. The Google Stadia commercial and some Taco Bell commercials fit in this category.
Old 03-10-20, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 116 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post

So weird.
I know a lot of people that like current Dominos.

I'm not one of them.
Old 03-10-20, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I always assumed Dominos stayed in business simply because they're everywhere, cheap, and deliver late to drunk college kids.
Old 03-10-20, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 226 Likes on 172 Posts

A while back I was picking up some Domino's pizzas for work. I went in to pick up the pizzas, and they weren't ready yet so I waited in there. It was a small place, and I could see everything that was going on in the kitchen.

They had a creepy-looking guy (gave me "Sex Offender of the Month" vibes) in there making the pizzas without gloves. He's back there reaching into bins of meat and veggies with his bare hands, and making the food. I watched him reach into a bin of chicken and put some in a salad.

Then, the girl working the cash register was handling money. Then she walked over the kitchen area and started working raw dough with her dirty hands.

Took the pizzas back to work, and wouldn't eat any. Haven't touched another Domino's pizza since. I googled this, and it's standard for Domino's employees to handle food without gloves.

I don't know if this how pizza places operate, but I fucking hope not.
Old 03-10-20, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
A while back I was picking up some Domino's pizzas for work. I went in to pick up the pizzas, and they weren't ready yet so I waited in there. It was a small place, and I could see everything that was going on in the kitchen.

They had a creepy-looking guy (gave me "Sex Offender of the Month" vibes) in there making the pizzas without gloves. He's back there reaching into bins of meat and veggies with his bare hands, and making the food. I watched him reach into a bin of chicken and put some in a salad.

Then, the girl working the cash register was handling money. Then she walked over the kitchen area and started working raw dough with her dirty hands.

Took the pizzas back to work, and wouldn't eat any. Haven't touched another Domino's pizza since. I googled this, and it's standard for Domino's employees to handle food without gloves.

That is exactly why you don't go into the sausage factory...
Old 03-10-20, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

To be fair (although I find it disgusting as well) the temp that pizzas are cooked at will eliminate any germs left behind by the staff. I'd be more worried if someone handled cash then my already cooked pizza with their bare hands.

Old 03-10-20, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's been decades at this point, but I worked in multiple pizza/italian joints making pizzas. I don't recall ever wearing gloves to toss pizza dough, nor ever seeing anyone wear gloves.

One joint had a hand sink right next to the dough station though so we were always washing hands.
Old 03-10-20, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Every time I see this commercial it bothers me for one specific, tiny thing.
Why do they have that shot where he looks into the camera at the 14 sec mark after he says the app helps him get paid?

A shot like that is a sting to indicate that the line was ironic or a humorous call-back to the movie.
Old 03-11-20, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post

Every time I see this commercial it bothers me for one specific, tiny thing.
Why do they have that shot where he looks into the camera at the 14 sec mark after he says the app helps him get paid?

A shot like that is a sting to indicate that the line was ironic or a humorous call-back to the movie.
I assumed it was because of the message on the phone that the school (from the movie) sent him $3k.
Old 03-11-20, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 226 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Kohler has an ad where a naked guy dances in the shower. I hates it and it's on a lot.
Yeah, that's horrible. All I can think about when I see it are his cock and balls flopping around while he's busting moves.
Old 03-11-20, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I assumed it was because of the message on the phone that the school (from the movie) sent him $3k.
Congratulations to you for being able to read that. I have human eyesight.
Old 03-11-20, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Facebook ad where everyone plays the kazoo. Ugh.
Old 03-12-20, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

That is stupid

For decades the star mascot for Carls Jr never had a voice and that is how I want to remember him but that is over now

Old 03-12-20, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
The Facebook ad where everyone plays the kazoo. Ugh.
Makes me want to stab out my ear drums.
Old 03-12-20, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Has Flo retired from Progressive commercials? They are making that droning, monotone redhead girl the face of the ads along with that annoying Jamie character and I don't like them any more than Flo.

Also, here in LA Danny Trejo is doing ads for a local lawyer and he's getting too old for his shtick. Or to go shirtless

Oh, and that damned Masked Singer ad with Scherzinger screaming her fool head off. Good grief, STFU woman..

Last edited by Traxan; 03-12-20 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-12-20, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Traxan View Post
Has Flo retired from Progressive commercials? They are making that droning, monotone redhead girl the face of the ads along with that annoying Jamie character and I don't like them any more than Flo.
I see the one where it's a fake promo for a TV show where Flo is the maid, and she keeps saying she is not a maid, all the time.
Old 03-13-20, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I see the one where it's a fake promo for a TV show where Flo is the maid, and she keeps saying she is not a maid, all the time.
There's also a fake restaurant chain one: Portabella's

That website is pretty funny. I actually like their commercials, although there are entirely too many.
Old 03-13-20, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
There's also a fake restaurant chain one: Portabella's

That website is pretty funny. I actually like their commercials, although there are entirely too many.
I dunno, I like both the Progressive commercials and the Geico commercials (not all of them, like I'm not a big fan of Flo's sister/family), and part of that I think is because there are so many they don't get as played out as other commercials.

I also like that they've stuck with the campaign so long that there's continuity/characterization, like Jamie being this Jerry Gergich type of guy, a loser at work and just a superstar at home.
Old 03-23-20, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts

This fucking JG Wentworth commercial. The ad makers actually go out of their way to make sure to show the guy using the service is a total asshole (complete with annoyed looks by this douchebag’s mom). Isn’t the point of an ad NOT to make the people who use the service look like major dickhead losers?

Old 03-23-20, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I haven't previously ventured into this thread since I have a DVR. But we have been watching some BBC America on demand content with forced commercial breaks. Every single break includes a don't text and drive PSA from the Ad Council.

The same PSA.
EVERY.
SINGLE.
BREAK.

So perhaps 8-10 times in an hour, the same effing PSA. I swear at this point I am considering spite-drive-texting I hate it so much. It's not even a paid ad. Maybe that means it doesn't count for the purposes of this thread, but I hate it.

https://www.psacentral.org/asset/good-habit/201482538
Old 04-02-20, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 762 Likes on 464 Posts

Oh my God, it’s only been a week since they started airing these somber Coronavirus Shelter at Home commercials from every heartless giant American corporation pretending that they’re here for us and care about us now. They are all the same and they’re all so hollow. I am so sick of them already.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.