TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-16, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
The University of Pheonix (I think) commercial where a woman sings a bastardized version of "If I only had a brain" in the most godawful indie-folk-hipster-girl voice ever.
I came in here to post this one. Glad to know I'm not the only one annoyed by it. I get that it's trying to sound empowering but it just comes off like the girl singing is wabbing about how hard her life is and that we should feel sorry for her or something.
Old 05-30-16, 05:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The University of Pheonix (I think) commercial where a woman sings a bastardized version of "If I only had a brain" in the most godawful indie-folk-hipster-girl voice ever.
Me, too, but not because of the folk song style. Three times in 30 seconds, they have to rhyme with the word brain, but two of those times, they rhyme it with itself.

The current KFC commercials. Knowing that the real Colonel Sanders (1890-1980) is dead and the commercials seem to be more about Sanders and less about the chicken, they come off as obnoxious.

Radio commercial, sung to the tune of "The Carol of the Bells": “give-a, give-a, give-a, give-a Garmin.” (The TV version didn’t show in our area.)

Long time ago. I can’t remember the product; I think it was aluminum siding. A movie would be presented and during the break, the host would stand in front of a group of people who were answering phones, presumably calls from people responding to the offer. Except it was all pre-recorded; the people “taking orders” were just for dramatic effect. What I hated was they had the phones ring-ring-ringing, while the host delivered his pitch.

Last edited by digidoh; 05-30-16 at 08:29 PM. Reason: better explanation of self-rhyming
Old 05-30-16, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Bingo - the only thing worse than that cloying, idiotic voice, that every talentless, wannabe singer seems obsessed with imitating these days, are the lyrics. I want to take her head.
Old 05-30-16, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Those new commercials for Chrysler with Jim Gaffigan are atrocious, especially the one where he's talking like a total flamer while ogling some teenage girls. The rest aren't much better. Does Chrysler want to sell cars or not?

Not really keen on some other commercial, some kind of car insurance, that features the most unattractive woman I've ever seen in an ad. I'm not saying it because she's black, she's just plain homely.
Old 05-30-16, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I get your point with that Gaffigan commercial but those are neighbor moms walking around for exercise not teen girls.
Old 05-30-16, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by digidoh

The current KFC commercials. Knowing that the real Colonel Sanders (1890-1980) is dead and the commercials seem to be more about Sanders and less about the chicken, they come off as obnoxious.
I find their paper products and wall decor featuring quotes from the Col. far more obnoxious. I don't believe he said half the shit they put on their cups/walls.
Old 05-30-16, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by jth182
this, this, a thousand times this! Ugh i'm getting all upset even thinking about this commercial! Fuck that chick! I hate her with all my soul.
+1000
Old 05-31-16, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Those new commercials for Chrysler with Jim Gaffigan are atrocious, especially the one where he's talking like a total flamer while ogling some teenage girls. The rest aren't much better. Does Chrysler want to sell cars or not?

Not really keen on some other commercial, some kind of car insurance, that features the most unattractive woman I've ever seen in an ad. I'm not saying it because she's black, she's just plain homely.
RACIST!!!

Actually I think you're talking about another one of the Liberty Insurance commercials which have been mentioned. I crashed my new car and the insurance company had to pay out thousands of dollars for repairs even though I only paid them $500 in premiums and now my rates went way up. Now I'm going to cry.

I like Gaffigan so I enjoy seeing him in them but I'll agree the commercials themselves are pretty bad.
Old 07-05-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Thank you, White Castle, for giving me even more reason to never visit your "restaurant". Just keep those new Nibblers commercials going. Keeeeeeeep 'em going. That's right. Build the seething hatred.
Old 07-05-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Liberty Mutual commercials. It doesn't matter who the spokesperson is, they're all annoying, especially the Brad one.

The auction bids commercials. My b.s. meter jumped through the roof the first time I saw one. I don't feel sorry for people who think they can get a brand new iPad for $50.

The PC repair commercials. Everything they do and charge you money for, you can download the software for it and do it yourself for free.
Old 07-05-16, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Thank you, White Castle, for giving me even more reason to never visit your "restaurant". Just keep those new Nibblers commercials going. Keeeeeeeep 'em going. That's right. Build the seething hatred.
I've only seen it once and it was fucking brutal. Insta-mute on that one.

All the Xfinity commercials with the idiots in gray suits singing and dancing about Directv make
me want to cancel my service right now.
Old 07-05-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Speaking of Direct TV, the Bon Jovi Direct TV commercials are AWFUL
Old 07-06-16, 12:32 AM

KY jelly
Old 08-02-16, 01:44 PM

The Trivago guy has been annoying me as of late.
Old 08-02-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
They seem to have doubled down on these too. It's getting to the point where just have to mute full commercial breaks.

The latest annoyance is the Honda a cappella commercials. Seriously is there a lower form of musical expression than a cappella groups?
Old 08-02-16, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
They seem to have doubled down on these too. It's getting to the point where just have to mute full commercial breaks.

The latest annoyance is the Honda a cappella commercials. Seriously is there a lower form of musical expression than a cappella groups?
As soon as I hear that chime/piano at the beginning of every Honda commercial, I reach for the remote. Not far behind is the Chevy doofus with the focus groups.
Old 08-03-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We have another winner - Missy Elliott and Alec Baldwin for Amazon Echo. Seriously is Pep Rally what passes for music these days?
Old 08-03-16, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I was thinking the same thing about that song.

How does a song sustain long enough just with her yelling gibberish.
Old 08-03-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
This. First thing that came to mind.
Old 08-04-16, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The GE commercials where the hipster developer is trying to explain to his friends/family what he does at GE and they're all acting clueless. Good god do I hate those. They make GE seem like they don't even know what their people do.
Old 08-04-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
We have another winner - Missy Elliott and Alec Baldwin for Amazon Echo. Seriously is Pep Rally what passes for music these days?
I forget whether it is ABC or NBC, but if you watch any shows on their Roku App, one of them airs this ad constantly. It is much better without the sound. Kind of creepy though.
Old 08-04-16, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

The worst part of those Bon Jovi commercials is the his look towards the camera at the very end of the song. Creeps me the fuck out.
Old 08-04-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
The GE commercials where the hipster developer is trying to explain to his friends/family what he does at GE and they're all acting clueless. Good god do I hate those. They make GE seem like they don't even know what their people do.
You don't have to understand what they do, as long as you know they're doing much, much more important work than you could ever hope for. That's what I get from those commercials, at least. I kinda like the one where they're all impressed by that app developer and not him, though.
Old 08-04-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

I'm annoyed by the current Burger King ads that tout their "2 Whopper meals for $10" deal. Every other fast food place is offering a $4 or $5 deal and I'm told it's a successful strategy (and, of course, that's why everybody is offering them). This almost feels like there was a meeting where someone said, "If people think $5 is a good deal, then let's see if they think $10 is an even better deal!" Mind you, it's two $5 meals. It's a petty thing, sure, but I just feel like they're trying to play the audience for suckers and it bugs me.
Old 08-04-16, 05:21 PM

I believe I should be hating on AT&T girl by now.

I can't bring myself to hate her. :love:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.