Reload this Page >

Mad Men (S7E12) -- "Lost Horizon" -- 5/3/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-03-15, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Don receives a reward for his work. Joan butts heads with her co-worker on an account. Faced with a big decision, Roger dodges.
Directed by: Phil Abraham
Written by: Semi Chellas, Matthew Weiner

Episode 12 of 14
Old 05-03-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Mad Men (S7E12) -- "Lost Horizon" -- 5/3/15

Cannot wait!
Old 05-03-15, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two episodes left. No clue how it's going to end.
Old 05-03-15, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That honeymoon period in the big agency didn't last long, Ted and Pete were the only ones not pissing off anyone in their new setting.
Old 05-03-15, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like Joan is leaving and I don't expect Don to stay for long.
Old 05-03-15, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally a little bit of substance...
Old 05-03-15, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts

I get what Joan's doing (she did say she wanted to burn the place down a few episodes ago), but what the fuck is Don doing?
Old 05-03-15, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 543 Likes on 406 Posts

Given our introduction to the extremely chauvinistic atmosphere at McCann a couple episodes ago, it makes perfect sense that Joan would not last a week, but I still feel bad that she would be tossed out like that.

$250,000 is a decade's worth of middle class salary in the 70s, so it is not like Joan is getting screwed over financially, but considering Don wrote a check for a million dollars and didn't blink, it feels like she is getting a short straw.

It seems like the show is setting her up to marry and move to California, but I hate to see her left out of the business she worked so hard and long to prove herself in.
Old 05-04-15, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I get what Joan's doing (she did say she wanted to burn the place down a few episodes ago), but what the fuck is Don doing?
Don is accustomed to being the king of the hill and being appreciated as a artist.

That's what McCann is telling him they want but, at that meeting, he saw he was just another guy at the table. McCann isn't interested in letting him nap and go to the movies and ruminate over an account until he comes up with his singular vision.

Even though that meeting was about Miller Lite, leading every one to wonder if Don was going to get credit for the "great taste versus less filling" ad campaign, I noticed all the Coke cans around the table. I wonder if they are going to use Don's journey as an excuse for him coming up with "I'd like to buy the world a Coke / teach the world to sing"
Old 05-04-15, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When the hitchhiker got in, which way did Don say he was headed?

Seemed like that side trip to Racine was a total waste of time.
Old 05-04-15, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
When the hitchhiker got in, which way did Don say he was headed?

Seemed like that side trip to Racine was a total waste of time.
Don was headed west from Racine. The hippie wanted to go to St Paul. I figure he was on Route 20 and headed for I-94
Old 05-04-15, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 147 Posts

Good right up on the ep. Basically saying no one needs Don anymore so he went looking for someone who may.

'Mad Men' - 'Lost Horizon': One for the road
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...e-for-the-road

Peggy has come so far in this series. I hope she isn't broken down like the rest.
Old 05-04-15, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos

I wonder if they are going to use Don's journey as an excuse for him coming up with "I'd like to buy the world a Coke / teach the world to sing"
I personally know the guy who art directed that commercial. Oddly enough, I think he'd be thrilled if they did that.
Old 05-04-15, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I think the ending of the series isn't going to be some big 'homerun' ending like most shows. The ending will subtle, but I guarantee there will be so much irony and imagery in it we will be talking about it for years.

I firmly believe that's the last we have seen of Joan, as that was her ending and it was subtle but powerful. She took a payout to leave just like she took a payout to become partner, and it was all because of her great body. Pure irony and a sign of the times.

A few thoughts:

-Betty gets the line of the night, "Your secretary is a moron!"

-Loved Roger insulting Harry Crane as they were leaving the old building!

-And what was up with Don looking out the window of his office as it seems like he was looking down? Now I scoff at my friends who say someone will jump in the final episode to mirror the person jumping in the opening credits.

-Being a big David Bowie fan, I LOVED the ending with Don driving away with the hitchiker playing Space Oddity! Total Goosebump moment!
Old 05-04-15, 07:57 AM

I liked how they played that scene. Don sitting at the table with all those other guys, he suddenly realized how his presence didn't even matter at that meeting. He is now just a cog in a large machine. I also liked how he saw the airplane fly up in the sky and it gave him his idea to get the hell out of there (with his box lunch! ha!)

I loved how the McCann guy was like "Don't any of you people want to work?"
Old 05-04-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I did absolutely love two of the things with Peggy; her roller-skating through the SPC offices with Roger playing the organ, and then her sauntering to her new job, all confident and shit, smoking with shades on.
Old 05-04-15, 11:22 AM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

^ Agreed, those Peggy scenes were great. Actually, we got several great 1-1 scenes last night, Don-Joan in the elevator, Roger-Peggy, Roger-Harry in the office, Don-Burt in the car, Don-Betty in the kitchen.

Really great episode last night. Don checking the height/security of the window in his new office reminded me of the elevator shaft scene several episodes ago. At this point, wouldn't be surprised if Don winds up at Joshua Tree.
Old 05-04-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Don is accustomed to being the king of the hill and being appreciated as a artist.

That's what McCann is telling him they want but, at that meeting, he saw he was just another guy at the table. McCann isn't interested in letting him nap and go to the movies and ruminate over an account until he comes up with his singular vision.
No, I got that - he obviously thought that meeting was a waste of his time.

What I meant by "what the fuck is Don up to?", is why he's putting so much effort into chasing that woman.

I do find it interesting how nowadays, instead of driving to her ex's house, he would've just stalked her on Google and/or facebook and found her that way instead.
Old 05-04-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 147 Posts

I did absolutely love two of the things with Peggy; her roller-skating through the SPC offices with Roger playing the organ, and then her sauntering to her new job, all confident and shit, smoking with shades on.
Yeah those were 2 awesome scenes. My favorites of the season
Old 05-04-15, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Given our introduction to the extremely chauvinistic atmosphere at McCann a couple episodes ago, it makes perfect sense that Joan would not last a week, but I still feel bad that she would be tossed out like that.

$250,000 is a decade's worth of middle class salary in the 70s, so it is not like Joan is getting screwed over financially, but considering Don wrote a check for a million dollars and didn't blink, it feels like she is getting a short straw.

It seems like the show is setting her up to marry and move to California, but I hate to see her left out of the business she worked so hard and long to prove herself in.
I agree with part of this. I feel bad that she is getting screwed out of her money. Regardless of how she got the partnership shouldn't matter. She still has a share and should get her money.

I don't agree with the part of "working so long and hard". She was completely fine with being the head secretary. She only wanted more responsibilities and respect after she banged the dude for a piece SPC. Truth be told if she wasn't banging Roger they probably would have fired her years ago.
Old 05-04-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,072 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I firmly believe that's the last we have seen of Joan, as that was her ending and it was subtle but powerful. She took a payout to leave just like she took a payout to become partner, and it was all because of her great body. Pure irony and a sign of the times.
No way that's the last we see of Joan. Bet she's not in the next episode (I didn't watch the "Preview" for next week), but she's too important a part of the family to be excluded from the Finale (whatever that story ends up being). That said, this was certainly the final Joan storyline and felt sad but appropriate. The question is if Hendricks has done enough to finally win her ellusive Emmy. With last night's performance, I think she makes a strong case (and make no mistake, Elizabeth Moss may not win, but she'll be competing in the Lead Actress category, not supporting).
Old 05-04-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm starting to believe Don is looking to find that woman to do what he wanted in S1, and leave everything behind to start fresh someplace else. The only thing that stopped him in S1 was his marriage and the kids, and the last few episodes points at him not being needed much on that front anymore.
Old 05-04-15, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Great episode. I loved the Peggy scenes and Don's adventure in Racine was good, too.
Old 05-04-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm 100% fine with Joan being gone.

I kinda like the guys who are happy with it (Pete, Ted, Harry).

If Don drove from NY to WI, I found it funny he decided to keep going west toward MN instead of back towards NY. Good for him.

What happened to Peggy's bearded guy friend? I like that guy.
Old 05-04-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,072 Likes on 2,035 Posts

That's Stan. He's on the 14th floor and doesn't have a phone. He left a message for Peggy via her secretary in the episode.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.