Reload this Page >

Mad Men (S7E12) -- "Lost Horizon" -- 5/3/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men (S7E12) -- "Lost Horizon" -- 5/3/15

Old 05-04-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 308 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: Mad Men (S7E12) -- "Lost Horizon" -- 5/3/15

So Don won't be part of Tastes Great, Less Filling.

The Peggy/Roger scenes were great, as was her strutting into McCann.
Old 05-04-15, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,024 Posts

They've never used any real ad campaign on the show, I don't think. I'd imagine that Matthew Weiner looks at doing that in the same way as he'd look at inserting his fictional characters into real life events. He has no taste for it.
Old 05-04-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
They've never used any real ad campaign on the show, I don't think. I'd imagine that Matthew Weiner looks at doing that in the same way as he'd look at inserting his fictional characters into real life events. He has no taste for it.
But then McCann Erickson is a real life advertising firm, and not a fictional one, so maybe they might throw in a real ad through them.
Old 05-04-15, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved Peggy walking in with the octopus painting. And I live in St. Paul so I'm interested to see where that storyline leads. It's interesting that the last song was about an astronaut who doesn't return home...

The one thing that I don't get about that ep - I understand that SCDP would be an empty office since everybody moved out but there was furniture overturned, blinds on the windows all out of whack, and entire sections of wall knocked down. Did I miss the riot scene!?

Last edited by arbogast777; 05-04-15 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-04-15, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a kick out of Peggy making and spilling the coffee and casually walking out without bothering with it
Old 05-04-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 349 Likes on 246 Posts

I thought it was an awesome episode.

Don checking out the strength of the window in his new office - foreshadowing his death from the intro as we suspected might be the case? I'm guessing it's too easy - the show has teased us many times in the past with things that almost feel like a sure thing, only to go a different route.

I liked how Don zoned out during the meeting and was looking out the window. I felt bad for him and sad for the whole situation in the way you feel when you know change is happening and you can't stop it and you miss how things used to be. And his searching for Diana definitely indicates how lost he is - that he's desperate enough to go out of his way to find something/anything that can bring him happiness.

The confrontations that Joan had was good. She was essentially cornered and had no way out - and Roger saw that right away.

Peggy/Roger scenes were great. You rarely ever saw them together, and they had a fantastic exchange.
When we first heard the organ music, I wasn't sure if she was actually hearing that or if that was only for the viewer. It felt like the music played on the old soap operas. Peggy's reaction when realizing that she doesn't give a shit about picking up the dropped coffee was funny. Loved her strutting into the office at the end.

Surprised Pete is being this underused in the 2nd half. He's a major character and is great - he needs more screen time.

I'm gonna miss the fuck out of this show.
Old 05-04-15, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, another great episode. I'll really miss this show.
Old 05-05-15, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 542 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by VitiminJ View Post
I don't agree with the part of "working so long and hard". She was completely fine with being the head secretary. She only wanted more responsibilities and respect after she banged the dude for a piece SPC. Truth be told if she wasn't banging Roger they probably would have fired her years ago.
I think that is a complete misrepresentation of Joan's journey, and a complete misunderstanding of what it was like to be a "career woman" in the 1950s and 60s ( and 70s).

Joan excelled at the role society prescribed for her when the show began. Women in the office were secretaries, and Joan rose to the top of that rank.

Remember when Joan proved so adept helping Harry Crane, proving they needed to expand his department, and they went out and hired a man.

The British never valued Joan as a professional, so she pursued the obvious course for a woman at that time. She married a professional man. But she already had a sense of her own worth in a workplace and itched to get back into it.

When SCDP was established, Joan proved her worth to the men and was rewarded with more professional responsibility. However, she was never given the respect she was due in that role.

What special professional skills did Lane Pryce have that made him valuable enough to be a name partner in SCDP?

Joan fucked guy to get her partnership, but is there any doubt that she was important enough to the running of SCDP that she deserved to be more than employee?

If Joan had limits on what she envisioned for herself, what she could achieve, and how far she could go in the advertising business, that was because she lived in a world where women were constantly being told that there were limits and that they should not have such aspirations.

Peggy represents the New Woman of the 1970s because she is young enough that she can take advantage of the doors that are being opened.

Joan is just at the tail end of the previous generation. She's just a decade older than Peggy but too old to access the opportunities now coming to women at the start of the 70s.
Old 05-05-15, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

She was completely fine with being the head secretary. She only wanted more responsibilities and respect after she banged the dude for a piece SPC. Truth be told if she wasn't banging Roger they probably would have fired her years ago.
Not at all. She's consistently shown to be better than everybody else in knowing where documents, deciphering information and in preparing for meetings. There's a reason she was asked on board after PPL was sold and may others were excluded (including Cosgrove and Kinsey).
Old 05-05-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

best ep of this shortened season.

Felt like a true mad-men episode finally.

Only two eps left, what a bummer.
Old 05-05-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Based on the next week previews, it appears that Don is going to visit Sally at her university, wherever that may be.

Since all the partners still have 49% stake still dangling with McCann, I would find it hard to swallow if they just have Don walk away from his job (and a huge pile of partnership money). Not sure he would be happy with 50 cents on the dollar for his remaining stake, with a non-compete provision to boot.

Really enjoyed the final 7 thus far and am very anxious to see how the show's creators decide to end each character's storyline.

I'm sure that we can count on a series box set in time for the holidays.
Old 05-05-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post

Since all the partners still have 49% stake still dangling with McCann, I would find it hard to swallow if they just have Don walk away from his job (and a huge pile of partnership money). Not sure he would be happy with 50 cents on the dollar for his remaining stake, with a non-compete provision to boot.

Don can't threaten them with a lawsuit. No reason to pay him off at all.
Old 05-05-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That's correct. But he can refuse to work there, or be fired for being a flake who disappears for days without telling anyone. Then what happens with his 49% share of SC&P?

Last edited by Jack Straw; 05-05-15 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-05-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts

If they confront Don about his absences, I'm sure he'd come back with something along the lines of "use me or don't, just don't waste my time". To which they'd have to real recourse. Seeing him at the meeting, he felt useless, and that's what he's trying to avoid.
Old 05-05-15, 01:10 PM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
...What special professional skills did Lane Pryce have that made him valuable enough to be a name partner in SCDP?.........
He was basically the CFO and had the skills to do that job.
Old 05-05-15, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Not at all. She's consistently shown to be better than everybody else in knowing where documents, deciphering information and in preparing for meetings. There's a reason she was asked on board after PPL was sold and may others were excluded (including Cosgrove and Kinsey).
These are all duties of a secretary. She was good at being a secretary. Sure it's mainly because of the era, but she never excelled at anything else. The guys have no idea where anything is filed or kept, of course they invited Joan back she knew the accounts. The guys couldn't even train another girl. Even in 2015 Joan would not be taken seriously. She would be a secretary, an extremely hot one.
Old 05-05-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Peggy won that episode.
Old 05-05-15, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are all duties of a secretary. She was good at being a secretary. Sure it's mainly because of the era, but she never excelled at anything else. The guys have no idea where anything is filed or kept, of course they invited Joan back she knew the accounts. The guys couldn't even train another girl. Even in 2015 Joan would not be taken seriously. She would be a secretary, an extremely hot one.
She is much more than a secretary - she was the office manager and kept everything running.

In 2015, she would be considered a project manager or a traffic manager - basically the person to make sure all the deliverables are met and manage resources as far as who is working on what clients.
Old 05-05-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Next week's episode is 1 hour, 11 mins. I wonder how long the finale will be? Hoping for 90 minutes.
Old 05-06-15, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
He was basically the CFO and had the skills to do that job.
So he was a glorified accountant.
Old 05-06-15, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even in the early 60s at Sterling Cooper, Joan was the office manager. They called her in when they formed SCDP because she was the only person who knew the nuts and bolts of how the whole freakin' business was run.

Every time Joan was given a responsibility, she excelled at it. The whole point is that because of her looks and the era, Joan couldn't and/or wouldn't be taken seriously by the men.

I know a Joan in 2015, and she is not a secretary. She made her first fortune in the tech industry. Then she made more millions in real estate. Now she is in politics.
Old 05-06-15, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Even in the early 60s at Sterling Cooper, Joan was the office manager. They called her in when they formed SCDP because she was the only person who knew the nuts and bolts of how the whole freakin' business was run.

Every time Joan was given a responsibility, she excelled at it. The whole point is that because of her looks and the era, Joan couldn't and/or wouldn't be taken seriously by the men.

I know a Joan in 2015, and she is not a secretary. She made her first fortune in the tech industry. Then she made more millions in real estate. Now she is in politics.
Fairly obvious she got that position because of her relationship with Roger. I'm sure many of the secretaries could have excelled at office management if Joan wasn't put over them to begin with.
Old 05-06-15, 11:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never liked Joan, but have always appreciated the growth in her character and the dilllemas she has faced. I always though the show was about peggy and don and their trials and tribulations.

Hope it ends that way focusing on those two and their final moments.
Old 05-06-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Fairly obvious she got that position because of her relationship with Roger. I'm sure many of the secretaries could have excelled at office management if Joan wasn't put over them to begin with.
When that one ditzy secretary ran over Guy's foot with the riding lawnmower, who was the only person in the office with the presence of mind to stay calm and take action to help him not bleed to death right there on the office floor?
Old 05-06-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
By that same token, the same could be said of Don, getting Roger drunk and parlaying that into a job at Sterling Cooper.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.