Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S5E04) -- "Sons of the Harpy" -- 5/3/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S5E04) -- "Sons of the Harpy" -- 5/3/15

Old 05-04-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S5E04) -- "Sons of the Harpy" -- 5/3/15

Yall need to rewatch the last scene. They were outnumbered like 4 or 5 to 1. I don't care how well trained you are, if you take on those kind of odds you're very likely to lose.
Old 05-04-15, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Well, if those spoilers I read pan out, people are going to surprised.

(Vague spoilers)
Spoiler:
One of the female characters will apparently have their first nude scene, though it sounds like it will be a thoroughly unpleasant ordeal for the character.

Actually, make that TWO female characters...

...and they're both unpleasant for their respective characters, but one moreso than the other...

One is expected (as per the books) and one is a new addition for the tv series... make of that what you will...

My guess about Barristan

Spoiler:
He may survive for a moment to speak some words of wisdom to Dany, but then dies. It would be a bait and switch of sorts. Hence the teaser shot of her standing over what appears to be his body at a wake.
Also,

Spoiler:
if the nude scene concerns Sansa and it is what I think , there is no way anyone in their right mind should get turned on by it, because it could be one of the most disturbing moments in the history of TV.
Old 05-04-15, 07:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Yall need to rewatch the last scene. They were outnumbered like 4 or 5 to 1. I don't care how well trained you are, if you take on those kind of odds you're very likely to lose.
Yeah, I thought about how they were taken down but the harpy's were numerous. Didn't expect it to end like that. And I really like that main unsullied. Grey Wolf?
Great ep. stellar year overall I think.
Old 05-04-15, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Ever since the Red Wedding had green never-been-in-a-battle Frey men wipe out Robb Stark's war-experienced men who had never lost a battle (even attacked by surprise in their camp, they would've still have a good chance just based on their stronger level of experience), I've decided that the show will depict some confrontations not realistically in order to get the story developed as quickly as possible. (I expect these fight scenes were more believable in the books, but took a lot longer to get to the same outcome.)
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
The red wedding battle never bothered me. The Northerners were made very drunk first, while I assumed the Freys were ordered not to drink. Add to that part of the Northern army turning one them (Bolton's men) and complete surprise by a armored and armed foe it made sense.
Yeah, I don't know if the tv show made it clear, but the Stark and Tully bannermen were drunk from the celebration. They were also unarmed; when the bread was broken in an earlier scene it meant that they were under the protection of the Freys, and when Cat saw Roose Bolton wearing armor under his clothes, she knew they were screwed.
Old 05-04-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Yeah, I thought about how they were taken down but the harpy's were numerous. Didn't expect it to end like that. And I really like that main unsullied. Grey Wolf?
Great ep. stellar year overall I think.
Grey Worm
Old 05-04-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Elaria and the Sand Snakes threat to go after Myrcella makes them look like they didnt know Oberyn at all. After what happened to Elia and her children, he always said they would never hurt children.
Old 05-04-15, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
The Unsullied are lifelong trained fighters. There's no way they would have been taken down so easily like that by untrained slaves. That made no sense whatsoever.
They are more trained for field combat and their long spear weapons are pretty useless in close, urban combat. Danny should have used the sell swords as patrol and the unsullied only for field battles. Really, she should be emptying the treasuries and raising armies to return to Westeros instead getting bogged down in local politics.
Old 05-04-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm interested to see what happens when Tyrion and Dany meet. That should be interesting.
Old 05-04-15, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by leeta
I'm interested to see what happens when Tyrion and Dany meet. That should be interesting.
I would imagine Tyrion would be invaluable in her current predicament. He is a master manipulator and will probably have a plan in no time.
Old 05-04-15, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
The Unsullied are lifelong trained fighters. There's no way they would have been taken down so easily like that by untrained slaves. That made no sense whatsoever.
If it were actually the "untrained" slaves, I'd believe it more. Some of the slaves actually fight in the pits. They'd be good fighters in close combat. But the Sons of the Harpy are the noble elite (class, not fighters). That's why I didn't buy them being able to fight so well. Still, the numbers game becomes important. I chalked it up to the editing. You can't really tell how many Sons of the Harpy there were. What I can tell is no matter how many of them killed by the Unsullied, there continued to be more to take their place. I don't know the exact ratio, but I think we're meant to get that the Unsullied were significantly outnumbered.

Last edited by MikahC; 05-05-15 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-05-15, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Axeramm
Elaria and the Sand Snakes threat to go after Myrcella makes them look like they didnt know Oberyn at all. After what happened to Elia and her children, he always said they would never hurt children.

I usually don't read or respond to got threads, but this so far has been the worst written part of the show.

I don't know if this is in the books or not, but oberyn, like you said, would have never attacked a little girl.
Old 05-05-15, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Book spoiler about sand snakes
Spoiler:
It is the same in the books. The sand snakes want to hurt Myrcella to get back at Cersi.

I'm not sure why the ladies are on completely different pages as the men.

It is interesting to note how the sand snakes are a mirror image of Cersi.
Old 05-05-15, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Book spoiler about sand snakes
Spoiler:
It is the same in the books. The sand snakes want to hurt Myrcella to get back at Cersi.

I'm not sure why the ladies are on completely different pages as the men.

It is interesting to note how the sand snakes are a mirror image of Cersi.

Thanks for clearing it up without ruining anything.

I guess my point is I just don't get it.

Oberyn pretty much came across as having any female on lock down so I don't see how his message or thought process would be taken in a direction he absolutely would not have approved of if alive.

Clearly this is just nitpicking and not a big deal, but it doesn't make sense to me. Even his brother shares the same thought process. He didn't even entertain doing anything to Myrcella.

Love the show. I'll take these kind of nitpicks any day over hardcore headscratchers like Dexter, True Detective, Boardwalk, etc.
Old 05-05-15, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by thelwig14
I don't know if this is in the books or not, but Oberyn, like you said, would have never attacked a little girl.
And Oberyn won't. Oberyn would have lived (or died) by the rules of combat he signed up for. Oberyn's brother tried to point this out to Oberyn's wife, but she's not having it. She's hell bent on vengeance.
Old 05-05-15, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, I don't know if the tv show made it clear, but the Stark and Tully bannermen were drunk from the celebration. They were also unarmed; when the bread was broken in an earlier scene it meant that they were under the protection of the Freys, and when Cat saw Roose Bolton wearing armor under his clothes, she knew they were screwed.
I was only talking about the Stark men who were camped outside. I know the people inside the Frey banquet hall were unarmed, but the army camped outside still would've had their arms. And even drunk people can still fight.
Old 05-05-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I was only talking about the Stark men who were camped outside. I know the people inside the Frey banquet hall were unarmed, but the army camped outside still would've had their arms. And even drunk people can still fight.
Drunk people get "beer muscles" -- and would feel no pain.. thus proving to be a pain to dispatch of easily.

However - if they did this at 1am, when everyone was thoroughly sauced and passed out I could buy it...

if they did this after a few glasses of grog and they had a nice 'buzz' going then I would say you got a good fight on your hands.
Old 05-05-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Book spoiler for the fight outside with the Starks. Very minor.

Spoiler:
They were eating and drinking under tents. The Frey men cut the tents and killed them while the men tried to escape. A few Stark men were also outside the tents but most were caught in the trap. I think they also lit the tents on fire.
Old 05-05-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Book spoiler for the fight outside with the Starks. Very minor.

Spoiler:
They were eating and drinking under tents. The Frey men cut the tents and killed them while the men tried to escape. A few Stark men were also outside the tents but most were caught in the trap. I think they also lit the tents on fire.
I know it's explained in a more believable way in the book, that why I said in my earlier post that the show, unlike the books, at times "will depict some confrontations not realistically in order to get the story developed as quickly as possible." In other words, I think the show is trying to get to the same outcome of the battles as the books, but doesn't want - or can't afford - to spend 10 minutes of airtime on a battle to make it appear more realistic. So I forgive the less believable depiction of fights and battles that occasionally happen on the show because they do have a tight time limit to get a lot of story in and depicting every long battle scenes run counter to that. (Aside from episodes directed by Neil Marshall, that is.)
Old 05-05-15, 10:51 AM

No, what's never made sense is Jaime's hand. They can make a gold plated hand but they can't make a hand that contains a sword? Really? The grip would be odd in some instances but he would fare better with a right handed sword that he had to manipulate more as to the parrys but so much easier than learning to fight left handed all over again. The thrusts would be the same.
And I guess he's lucky that was a regular sword as Valerian steel would have severed his hand. The hand must be made of lead to be so soft as to trap a sword.
Old 05-05-15, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Jaime's hand is made of gold, which is a soft, malleable metal. Though I doubt it is solid lead or gold; it would be heavy as hell. Gold plated wood?

I'm not sure well a sword would work with an artificial hand. Seems like the range of motion would be so limited as to be basically useless in a fight.
Old 05-05-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by barelypure
The hand must be made of lead to be so soft as to trap a sword.
I think Jaime's false hand is made of solid gold which is a soft metal but would seem to make it risky for him to wear. (Won't someone try to kill him to steal the hand?)
Old 05-05-15, 11:11 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by barelypure
No, what's never made sense is Jaime's hand. They can make a gold plated hand but they can't make a hand that contains a sword? Really? The grip would be odd in some instances but he would fare better with a right handed sword that he had to manipulate more as to the parrys but so much easier than learning to fight left handed all over again. The thrusts would be the same.
And I guess he's lucky that was a regular sword as Valerian steel would have severed his hand. The hand must be made of lead to be so soft as to trap a sword.
Can't they just attach a chainsaw where he lost his hand? It has worked before.
Old 05-05-15, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure well a sword would work with an artificial hand. Seems like the range of motion would be so limited as to be basically useless in a fight.
A sword probably wouldn't work well due to his lack of wrist movement, but maybe a short knife attachment would work with the hand that he can use in combination with a sword in his left hand. Or perhaps a shield that he could attachment to his right forearm and fake hand would be useful too.
Old 05-05-15, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Not the move itself, just how it was handled in the story. It seemed like generic fan service.
she wanted to make a Jon Snow shadow assassin!
Old 05-05-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 574 Likes on 415 Posts

Jamie went from being the best swordsmen in the land (right handed) to being useless left-handed? He should be better.

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
It felt odd to me that the High Sparrow, who seemed last episode to be about the most introspective and humble person, would allow the "Faith Militant" (or whatever they are called) to act the way they do.
yes, I found this troubling as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.