Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S5E04) -- "Sons of the Harpy" -- 5/3/15

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S5E04) -- "Sons of the Harpy" -- 5/3/15

Comparing Joffrey to his brother, is like comparing Darth Vader to Jar Jar Binks. That poor kid is going to get played by every person he deals with it.

Loved the Jaime and Bronn scenes!
Old 05-04-15, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikahC
That felt off to me as well. I had to think a bit about who the Sons are. I think these are people from the noble families, and thus I can't see any reason they'd be particularly good at fighting. But maybe the editing was off and it was simply a matter of a small group of Unsullied (8 or so) going up against 50-60 or so Sons of the Harpy. With those kinds of numbers, confined spaces, and sharp weapons, I can buy it.
I'd need to go back and watch it, but it looked like it was 6 Unsullied against like 10-12 Harpy's. Between the numbers, being surrounded, and fighting in a somewhat confined space with spears... I wasn't surprised by the outcome.
Old 05-04-15, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Book Speculation/Spoiler

Spoiler:
R+L=J? I swear that has got to be the worst kept secret heh
Or biggest red herring ever.
Old 05-04-15, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
It felt odd to me that the High Sparrow, who seemed last episode to be about the most introspective and humble person, would allow the "Faith Militant" (or whatever they are called) to act the way they do.
Another way to interpret this is that in Westros all is not what it seems.

Things I liked in this episode:
Stannis's speech about his daughter. Genuinely moving. Stannis isn't so bad, in some ways.
Scene between Bronn and Jaime on the boat. Bronn is no fool and rightly smells something off in this whole adventure.
Tyrion expertly and immediately deducing who has captured him and why. Tyrion is also no fool.
Cersei's continued arrogance in the face of dwindling power.
Qyburn's continued hilarious reaction shots. The actor playing him is a genius of a sort.
The genuinely disturbing morphing of the Sparrows into the Faith Militant and their summary dismissal of Tommen. Expertly handled montage.

Things I didn't like in this episode (these are all pretty minor):
Melisandre's ham-handed attempt to seduce Jon. WTF.
Littlefinger / Sansa. Maybe this will all become clear once the overall story arc is revealed but Littlefinger is just sort of bumbling around here, he's not the operator we saw revealed in "The Climb".
Bronn / Jaime in Dorne. A boring action scene without much context.
Selmy dying (?) in a random street battle. This guy can't go out like that.
Tommen / Margeary was a little over the top this week for my taste.
The Sand Snakes looking like hold-overs from Xena in a clumsy scene. At least that woman from The Whale Rider is in there as Obara, she's great.

Overall, a great episode. I liked last week a bit more but this was damned good.
Old 05-04-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Cersei is not very smart if she thinks bring back the Faith Militants is a good idea. Arming religious fanatics is a recipe for disaster because they tend to see anyone who doesn't meet their purity standards as an enemy.

Until this episode, I didn't recognize that the Sons of the Harpy are a lot like the 19th century version of the Ku Klux Klan that formed in the American South after the Civil War ended slavery. The original KKK was like a loose insurgence movement that was killing and terrorizing freed slaves while trying to undermine the new government, all while wearing masks to not be recognized. (That original version of the KKK didn't last very long, while the modern version of the Klan only came about decades later, inspired by the movie "Birth of a Nation").
Old 05-04-15, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Melisandre's ham-handed attempt to seduce Jon. WTF.
Ham handed? I think that move works 99.9% of the time for her. Snow is crazy.

Loved Jamie's new sword fighting technique.

And Sansa got hot all of a sudden.
Old 05-04-15, 11:14 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I'm guessing Cersei is unintentionally sending Ser Meryn to his death by sending him with Mace since Arya is also in Bravos.
Old 05-04-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Disappointed in how Grey Worm and Selmy got attacked. Hope neither of them are already gone, didn't like how that story line has played out at all.

Out of curiosity, when Tommen was trying to enter the temple or whatever you here some people yelling things out in the background. Were they throwing insults at the king?
Old 05-04-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

Yes, everyone knows Tommen is Cersei and Jaime's son, that's why they were calling him bastard and inbred and whatever else.
Old 05-04-15, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool, that's what I figured but wasn't quite sure.
Old 05-04-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know I have mentioned this once, but I can't wait to see the Queen of Thorns back.
Old 05-04-15, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Another way to interpret this is that in Westros all is not what it seems.

Things I liked in this episode:
Stannis's speech about his daughter. Genuinely moving. Stannis isn't so bad, in some ways.

Things I didn't like in this episode:

Bronn / Jaime in Dorne. A boring action scene without much context.
Just selected these two. Really moving scene when the daughter flung herself into Stannis's arms. Agree that the fight in the sand was pretty boring & not- very-well-filmed or choreographed (the Jaime part, anyway). It was funny (but predictable) when the hand came into play & surely read well on paper, but it was a bit over-the-top (the sword removal especially). We laughed, but it threw the atmosphere a bit. And Jaime using the hand as an excuse to get out of burying their victims had already been used earlier.

I know things are building and that Dan & David are merging disparate storylines from two books by incorporating major existing characters into storylines written for others or putting them in new non-book situations...and the pacing is improved, but there still is a lot of random stagnation despite their efforts to pump up the volume with newly-created action scenes. Some big events need to break free in episode five. We're almost halfway through the season & this is what has happened so far:

The Wall: Jon Snow made Lord Commander. Mance & Slynt executed.

Winterfell: Sansa arrives & is engaged to Ramsey Bolton. Littlefinger prepares to depart for King's Landing. Brienne & Pod are hanging around.

Bravos: Arya is sweeping the floor.

King's Landing: Tommen marries Margaery. Cersei tries to recapture her lost power by reducing the Small Council & enlisting the High Sparrow's help to mobilize the Faith Militant. Ser Lorys is arrested.

Dorne: Oberon's mistress, seeking revenge, enlists the aid of the Sand Snakes. Jaime & Bronn land & dispatch a few riders.

Meereen: The Sons of the Harpy are conducting a campaign of sabotage & terror. Dany risks losing the support of the freed slaves. Ser Barriston is (apparently) killed. Ser Jorah abducts Tyrion & is taking a boat ride to meet Dany.

While I love the characters & can be patient waiting for events to develop (and to be surprised by the new events), it just seems that there is room for the criticism heard from some about all of the maneuvering/politicking in Season 2 that kept the story from gelling (although book readers knew where the events were heading). I found some events (Robb's courtship of his wife, whose name I never can remember since I still want to call her Jeyne) to be padding, and some of the events this season still seem that way even though so much extraneous material HAS been cut along with distracting subplots.

I have faith in D & D's ability to ramp up the tension in the next few episodes (and know that supposedly the biggest battles yet are ahead later this season), but still feel that the story has bogged down a little (very true to the spirit of Books 4 & 5)! Considering the sprawl of those books, I'm not complaining overly much since I expect things to get better once characters get together in same locations. Have to remember that the events of two huge books are taking place in this season & that the sprawl is being funneled into these early episodes and will undoubtedly result in a much more focused second half. It's still the must-see event of the week.

More dragons, please.

Good review of the episode: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/...e-harpy-review

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-04-15 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-04-15, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
I'm guessing Cersei is unintentionally sending Ser Meryn to his death by sending him with Mace since Arya is also in Bravos.
Good call. I didn't make this connection.
Old 05-04-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CRM114
Ham handed? I think that move works 99.9% of the time for her. Snow is crazy.
Not the move itself, just how it was handled in the story. It seemed like generic fan service.
Old 05-04-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Not the move itself, just how it was handled in the story. It seemed like generic fan service.
I was OK with it.
Old 05-04-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't quite mind it, I just liked it showed how true to his oath Jon is. Its like he is Ned Stark 2.0

Hopefully it doesn't end up killing him.
Old 05-04-15, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777
I was OK with it.
Me too. Melisandre apparently is the only one getting naked any more.

"You know nothing, John Snow." Ain't that the truth.
Old 05-04-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Me too. Melisandre apparently is the only one getting naked any more.
Well, if those spoilers I read pan out, people are going to surprised.

(Vague spoilers)
Spoiler:
One of the female characters will apparently have their first nude scene, though it sounds like it will be a thoroughly unpleasant ordeal for the character.

Actually, make that TWO female characters...

...and they're both unpleasant for their respective characters, but one moreso than the other...

One is expected (as per the books) and one is a new addition for the tv series... make of that what you will...
Old 05-04-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought the Sand Snakes were, you know, actual snakes
Old 05-04-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Did anyone notice that in the title sequence Sunspear was labeled "Dorne?" Dorne is the name of the kingdom; the capital city is called Sunspear. All of the other cities we've been shown are labeled as cities (Winterfell, King's Landing, Pyke, etc.)
Old 05-04-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Melisandre's nude scenes never gets old.
Best chest in the west.

Those Sparrows ramped up their aggressiveness damned quickly, don't you think?
Too quickly.

I am tired of any and all bullshit dealing w/ Cersei. Just cut her balls off already.
Old 05-04-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Also a little disappointed that the Unsullied were taken down fairly easily by the Sons of the Harpy.
Damn straight.
Old 05-04-15, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

The Unsullied are lifelong trained fighters. There's no way they would have been taken down so easily like that by untrained slaves. That made no sense whatsoever.
Old 05-04-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Also a little disappointed that the Unsullied were taken down fairly easily by the Sons of the Harpy.
Ever since the Red Wedding had green never-been-in-a-battle Frey men wipe out Robb Stark's war-experienced men who had never lost a battle (even attacked by surprise in their camp, they would've still have a good chance just based on their stronger level of experience), I've decided that the show will depict some confrontations not realistically in order to get the story developed as quickly as possible. (I expect these fight scenes were more believable in the books, but took a lot longer to get to the same outcome.)
Old 05-04-15, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Ever since the Red Wedding had green never-been-in-a-battle Frey men wipe out Robb Stark's war-experienced men who had never lost a battle (even attacked by surprise in their camp, they would've still have a good chance just based on their stronger level of experience), I've decided that the show will depict some confrontations not realistically in order to get the story developed as quickly as possible. (I expect these fight scenes were more believable in the books, but took a lot longer to get to the same outcome.)
The red wedding battle never bothered me. The Northerners were made very drunk first, while I assumed the Freys were ordered not to drink. Add to that part of the Northern army turning one them (Bolton's men) and complete surprise by a armored and armed foe it made sense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.