Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Galaxy Quest - TV series

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Galaxy Quest - TV series

It’s 2015 and Star Trek hasn’t had a TV series in almost ten years. But Galaxy Quest might be moving to the small screen.

Variety is reporting that Paramount Television is planning a Galaxy Quest TV series based on the 1999 feature film that starred Tim Allen, Alan Rickman and Sigourney Weaver.

The Galaxy Quest movie followed the cast of a ‘70s sci-fi series very much like Star Trek who found themselves thrust into a real outer space adventure by aliens who mistook their program as historical records. Galaxy Quest has gained a strong fan following since its release, including a steady presence on cable networks and even a Galaxy Quest comic book miniseries.
Related: Galaxy Quest: The B-Movies Podcast Commentary Track

Galaxy Quest co-screenwriter Robert Gordon is in talks to write the TV adaptation, with Dean Parisot (the director of Galaxy Quest) also in talks to return in some capacity. Galaxy Quest producers Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein have also been approached for the new television incarnation.

It’s highly unlikely that any of the original cast members will return for the Galaxy Quest TV series. But the ending of the film did seem to pave the way for a “Next Generation” style spinoff, if the creative team decides to keep continuity with the feature film.
Old 04-21-15, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
re: Galaxy Quest - The Sequel

Uh. Why? The whole point of the movie is a satire on Star Trek the show, so this will be a satire on a movie on a satire? What?
Old 04-21-15, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Meh. I really love Galaxy Quest but given that none of the original cast is expected to return this doesn't interest me. I'd rather a sequel film happen that reunited the original cast.
Old 04-21-15, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

By Grabthar's Hammer.... noooooooo!
Old 04-21-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if this is going to be a Star Trek spoof like the movie or an actual clone sci-fi show of ST:TOS.
Old 04-21-15, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

loved the movie, would watch a well done sequel with the original cast, don't want a tv show especially without the original cast
a satire series would get old quick and if paramount is going to make a serious show they should make it Trek

speaking of the original cast, Daryl Mitchell has a recurring role on NCIS New Orleans
I hadn't heard about his accident and at first thought they just made the character paralyzed for some reason

Last edited by mikehunt; 04-21-15 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-21-15, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems like it would be pointless to do a series based on the film in a serious fashion. It wouldn't even really fit the spirit of Galaxy Quest if that were the case. I'm betting it'll be a sci-fi series with a somewhat campy tone. Like I said before I really wish they'd just do a sequel to the film. I've wanted that long before this announcement was even made as it was a really enjoyable movie with a good cast. Its been a while since it was made but with all the late to come sequels these days I don't see why not.
Old 04-21-15, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I'm guessing it would be a spoof of Star Trek: The Next Generation, much like the movie was a spoof of the original Star Trek.
Old 04-21-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Actually they could make this pretty interesting but doing sort of like a dual identity alternate universe within the show itself, meaning the show could be about actors doing a show on television called Galaxy Quest, but at the same time, unknown to most of the population they are actually real space adventurers as well going on actual space missions, sort of like what happened in the movie. It could make for some really fun situations, and still be sort of a tribute to ST without being a watered down parody of a parody. Would need the right writers. Gilligan could pull it off.
Old 04-21-15, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm guessing it would be a spoof of Star Trek: The Next Generation, much like the movie was a spoof of the original Star Trek.
That would make zero sense.
Old 04-22-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Astrofan
That's one of the ideas that the article gives for the series if it follows the film though.

It’s highly unlikely that any of the original cast members will return for the Galaxy Quest TV series. But the ending of the film did seem to pave the way for a “Next Generation” style spinoff, if the creative team decides to keep continuity with the feature film.
Old 04-22-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I don't get is why they think the original cast isn't available. Tim Allen's new series isn't tearing up the ratings. Most of the others seem like they would be down for a short "event" series. Some like Monk could be up for a lot more.
Old 04-22-15, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
What I don't get is why they think the original cast isn't available. Tim Allen's new series isn't tearing up the ratings. Most of the others seem like they would be down for a short "event" series. Some like Monk could be up for a lot more.
The cast was pretty high profile though so to get them all to come back for a series would probably be difficult. Unless it was just a short term miniseries or something but even then who knows if they could get everyone back. That's why I think a sequel film would be better than doing a series. They may be able to get the original cast back together for a film but I doubt most of the cast would want to commit to a full series.
Old 04-22-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,279 Likes on 731 Posts

I think they could make this work. I'm willing to give it a try.

They should figure out how to get William Shatner in it for the irony of it all.

Tawny Madison could be played by Summer Glau .. I think she'd fit in perfectly there.

Angus T. Jones as Guy Fleegman would be good also.

I should cast this.
Old 04-22-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Meh. Next!
Old 04-22-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
By Grabthar's Hammer.... noooooooo!
This...
Old 04-22-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I love the movie. Hopefully they can figure out how to make this work.

This and all the shows they are bringing back is making me wonder if a return of Firefly will happen at some point...
Old 04-22-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
It makes sense since you want to retain the feel of the original movie while not using its original cast. Parodying ST: The Next Generation would also allow a few guest appearances by original cast members from Galaxy Quest, much like Shatner and Nimoy interacted with the ST: TNG crew at times in the movies.
Old 04-22-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,279 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Shady12
Well I love the movie. Hopefully they can figure out how to make this work.

This and all the shows they are bringing back is making me wonder if a return of Firefly will happen at some point...
Con Man is the closest you are going to get for at least a while.
Old 08-27-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

‘Galaxy Quest’ TV Series Takes Flight at Amazon
August 27, 2015 | 08:52AM PT
Whitney Friedlander
TV News Editor @loislane79

By Grabthar’s hammer, Amazon Studios has signed on to develop a TV series based on “Galaxy Quest.”

The 1999 sci-fi movie starred Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman as actors who once appeared on a “Star Trek”-like TV series — so convincingly, in fact, that the aliens who later abduct these co-stars don’t know the show is fake.

While it’s unclear if the original cast will be utilized, original director Dean Parisot, co-writer Robert Gordon and executive producers Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein are on board.

The deal is also de jour, given how nostalgia is fueling so many other properties. Variety reported in April that Paramount, which produced the “Galaxy Quest” movie and has put increased energy into mining its vault for TV adaptations, had been shopping the project. Paramount is also a co-producer with 20th Century Fox TV on the Fox drama “Minority Report” and producing Fox’s live adaptation of the musical “Grease.”

Entertainment Weekly first reported on the Amazon deal. Amazon wasn’t available and Paramount TV declined to comment on the news.
Old 08-27-15, 02:59 PM
Banned

I highly doubt Sigourney Weaver is going to sign on to this, although Tim Allen and Alan Rickman on the other hand...
Old 08-27-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dunno Tim Allen still has his ABC series so I'm not sure that he could work this in too or if he'd want to do two shows at a time. I would guess you're right about Sigourney Weaver not wanting to do this. Tony Shalhoub doesn't seem terribly busy now days so maybe they'll try to get him back along with Rickman. I don't think it'll be quite as interesting without Allen and Weaver though personally.
Old 08-27-15, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Unless this has Rickman and Allen, I'm not interested.
Old 08-27-15, 11:15 PM
Banned

I forgot about Allen's current sitcom (probably for good reason). Terrible show.
Old 08-28-15, 08:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Since they probably won't get the original actors I think they should focus on getting actors who were on cult sci-fi shows. Wil Wheaton is probably available, for example. Lots of actors who sci-fi fans would recognize are probably available. Make the cast like The Expendables version of sci-fi tv. Then do the same thing where they start out at a sci-fi convention and end up on an actual spaceship.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.