Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men (S7E10) -- "The Forecast" -- 4/19/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-15, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Mad Men (S7E10) -- "The Forecast" -- 4/19/15

Roger pawns off a project onto Don. Joan goes on a business trip. Peggy and Pete clash over how to deal with an account emergency.

Episode 10 of 14
Old 04-19-15, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Mad Men (S7E10) -- "The Forecast" -- 4/19/15

Am anticipating the show tonight with great amounts of saliva.
Old 04-19-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Only five episodes left. Though I heard Bill Simmons report that he spoke to Matthew Weiner and he said some of these episodes might be longer than an hour in duration.
Old 04-19-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

I thought Christina played that scene where she talked about sending her son away poorly. I can see that they did not want her rolling her eyes with sarcasm, but she revealed no affectation at all. Was it there intention for her to come off as a redheaded Betty?
Old 04-20-15, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Nice to see Glen Bishop again. Hope nothing serious happens on the bus trip with Sally and her friends.

What a dumbass John Mathis was in this episode. First for using Don's line on his clients, then for blaming Don because it didn't work.

Five episodes left, argh!
Old 04-20-15, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

My wife kind of asked the same thing. I don't know what they intended, but it didn't sound like sarcasm so it was kind of hard to tell how Joan was playing the scene. Bummer too because I loved her rapport with Brice Greenwood. Nice return of creepy Glenn aa well. This was my favorite episode of the first three this "season". That ad exec had to go.

Joan said she was twice divorced. Did she marry that young gay guy? I don't remember that.

And what has happened to Harry Hamlin's character? Was he fired after the merge?
Old 04-20-15, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Joan said she was twice divorced. Did she marry that young gay guy? I don't remember that.
I think we just found out for the first time that Joan was married and divorced in her 20s.
Old 04-20-15, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

These types of episodes are the reason I love this show, as there is so much there beneath the surface as you have to watch it again to even scratch the surface.

First, it was interesting that Weiner uses his real son to play an actor who is to sent to Vietnam (and everyone thinks to his death). Now the Glenn/Betty dynamic has been prevailent since the first season when she gave her his hair, but I thought the scene said more that Weiner was essentially sending his OWN son to his death.

Second, have you noticed that Don is the only one who hasn't changed with the times in terms of style. Either ever man has longer hair, or a mustache, but Don keeps slicking it back like he did in 1960. I will have to ask my mom if anyone under the age of 50 was still doing that back in 1970?

I thought the scene with Sally and Don was interesting when she talked about how she didn't want to be like either of her parents, and Don said that she will always be like them. She sees how fucked up they are, but do Don and Betty?
Old 04-20-15, 08:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Great episode last night (after last week's dud). Good to see Bruce Greenwood (despite the terrible fashion choice). Will be interesting to see where that goes w/Joan. Loved Don and Peggy's talk about her dreams and career aspirations (only to have Don s*** on them).

Didn't expect to see Glenn again, but some good scenes with Betty. Also, allowed Sally to shine in this episode - both during those scenes and while at dinner with Don. Great episode all around.
Old 04-20-15, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Pretty people have problems too."
Old 04-20-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wonder how many people will have that as a signature by the end of the week?
Old 04-20-15, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Wonderful episode! Just cannot say enough good stuff about it. So much ground was covered. I like that the show's theme was addressing the rich white middle-class malaise and disappointment that comes with getting everything you wanted in life. My only complaint was the amount of time they spent on the Joan storyline. I agree with others about not really picking up on Joan's sarcasm about dumping her kid for Richard. It's amazing how old and almost unrecognizable creepy Glen became. I found this latest development and seeming conclusion of the c.G./Betty story to be quite satisfying in that they've come to a new phase in their strange "relationship". It's too bad Sally never got her sad goodbye though. She really nailed that last scene on the phone though. Loved how the kid shit the bed in that pitch meeting, and Pete telling Peggy he could fire her! Pete really needs to get laid! I thought the selection of Roberta Flack's "...Saw Your Face" song was a bit of an odd choice given the episode's themes. Summing up, I really enjoyed the episode and am glad that Weiner is really starting to put some closure to the characters and the show overall. Now that Don is homeless, I'll be very interested to see where he ends up living.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 04-20-15 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was apparent that Joan's line was sarcasm when she followed up by saying something "That's what it sounded like you wanted to hear" or something. I thought it was a great scene when she yelled at the babysitter "You are ruining my life!" and her son said goodbye to her - you can tell she realized it sounded like she subconsciously was talking to her son and not the babysitter. I do like the chemistry between her and the older man but I thought it seemed to go too fast. They should have had them meet maybe an episode or 2 earlier. Seemed rushed that they just met and are already seemingly planning their futures together.

I was surprised by how young Bobby Draper still looks. I looked it up, and according to the timeline, he should be about 13 now, but the actor still looks about 9 or 10. Gene is getting bigger but Bobby stays about the same. Too bad the show is ending, seeing Bobby relate to his dad as a teenager might have been interesting.
Old 04-20-15, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

It took me a second, but didn't realize at first that Glenn was the little boy that was infatuated with Betty from the early seasons of the show.

Good episode. Really wish if they were gonna pull this bullshit where they split up the final season, they would have gone with 10 episodes for each half season.
Old 04-20-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
It took me a second, but didn't realize at first that Glenn was the little boy that was infatuated with Betty from the early seasons of the show.
I recognized him by his creepy eyes but the actor sure has undergone a transformation from pudgy kid to skinny, and I mean 70s skinny, teen.
Old 04-20-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I looked it up, and according to the timeline, he should be about 13 now, but the actor still looks about 9 or 10.
Too bad they aren't recasting that role for the fifteenth time or whatever because that kid is the worst.

You can see him in the trailer for Russell Madness -- aka the wrestling monkey movie -- delivering the immortal line "the strongest tag team is family" or something equally abysmal.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dVH9ULo4mzQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-20-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, don't change Glenn, don't ever change.

As far as Joan's line about choosing him over her kid, I took it as sarcasm while watching it, but I'm not sure if that's because it came off that way or if I just wanted it to be.
Old 04-20-15, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Second, have you noticed that Don is the only one who hasn't changed with the times in terms of style. Either ever man has longer hair, or a mustache, but Don keeps slicking it back like he did in 1960.
Yes, I mentioned it in last weeks thread. And I think the writers purposely gave us a tiny sneak peak at Don evolving with the times when he showed up to Rogers office without his hair slicked back - and because of that it was noticeable that Don needed a haircut - which Roger confirms when he mentions it. And then we see Don go back to his slicked/short style.

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I thought it was a great scene when she yelled at the babysitter "You are ruining my life!" and her son said goodbye to her - you can tell she realized it sounded like she subconsciously was talking to her son and not the babysitter.
I picked that up as well. She was definitely referring to her son and how much she thinks he's held her back.

To me the theme seemed to be centred around the differences between children and adults and the grey area in-between. Glenn is grown up and going to Vietnam and wants Betty - and it's apparent that Betty is attracted to him as well. Don flirts with a 17 year old and his daughter calls him out on it (and mentions Betty doing the same thing as well). Joan wants to live a free adult lifestyle, but her child is holding her back. Bobby is still a young child playing with a toy gun, but isn't far off from being able to go to war himself. Mathis is acting like a child in the adult world and won't take responsibility for his actions. Lou is still child-like in creating childrens cartoons but is adult-like in trying to sell it to Hanna-Barbera.
Don is thinking of the future of the company and his future in it, and so is Peggy - which mimics how children think of what they want to do when they get older (ie. Don asking Sally's friends during dinner) - which is in line with the title of the episode. Plus the couple that is buying Don's place are expecting a child themselves.

Poor Don... he feels like he has no family and no home (literally and figuratively).

Last edited by Coral; 04-20-15 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
To me the theme seemed to be centred around the differences between children and adults and the grey area in-between
And of course, who was the client? Peter Pan peanut butter.
Old 04-20-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Don is the only one who hasn't changed with the times in terms of style. Either ever man has longer hair, or a mustache, but Don keeps slicking it back like he did in 1960. I will have to ask my mom if anyone under the age of 50 was still doing that back in 1970?
Pat Riley.
Old 04-20-15, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrauss
And of course, who was the client? Peter Pan peanut butter.
Excellent point - I forgot to mention that. And as Don mentions, the initial ad idea would fall into that grey area that wouldn't capture the kids or adults - that balance between the two again.
Old 04-20-15, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
Pat Riley.
Nope

Old 04-20-15, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

This was a great, but very awkward episode.

Bit of a tangent on how they'll end... The best series finales seem to be ones that jump ahead a few (sometimes many) years to see where the characters land or end up. While this show is certainly about the 60s, it would be cool to see the finale be either in the 80s or the 90s to see the after effects and fall out of the 60s on the future versions of the characters and the world around them.
Old 04-20-15, 11:49 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

How can gene draper look so much younger than he does as Abel "hammer time" teller(sons of anarchy)?
Old 04-21-15, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101

Bit of a tangent on how they'll end... The best series finales seem to be ones that jump ahead a few (sometimes many) years to see where the characters land or end up. While this show is certainly about the 60s, it would be cool to see the finale be either in the 80s or the 90s to see the after effects and fall out of the 60s on the future versions of the characters and the world around them.
I really hope they don't that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.