TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S1E09) -- "Pimento" -- 3/30/15

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-15, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E09) -- "Pimento" -- 3/30/15

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
This show is just so freaking good. As soon as his lady friend tried to get him to take the deal I knew it was Chuck. Also it probably was Chuck that screwed him out of a job in firm in the first place.
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
no probably about it. Hamlin has been the tool used to keep Jimmy down by Chuck this whole time. Hell, in the flash back when Jimmy goes to Chuck with the news, it takes him a few seconds to respond to Jimmy's question about if he was proud of him.

It's all sorts of fucked up.
well, I think it's clear that Chuck didn't want to hire Jimmy when he passed the bar, but I don't think that Hamlin would have wanted to hire Jimmy anyway.

I don't know if someone not getting a job at HHM (which I'm assuming is supposed to be one of the best firms in ABQ) when they went to the University of American Samoa on a part-time remote-location basis could really be "screwed."

Not getting to work on the Sandpiper with HHM definitely is screw job, and I got the sense that Hamlin would have allowed it if not for Chuck. I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck already used the nuclear option ("I'll quit if you don't be the bad guy again and tell Jimmy he's not wanted").
Old 03-31-15, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love how the episode unfolded in that most shows would have used the Chuck "betraying" Jimmy as a shocker ending but I think Vince and crew pretty much made it obvious with the late night cell phone call and then from there we got to watch it all unravel from all points of view. The scene with Howard and Kim in particular was amazing as you could see Howard's anguish in making up the story to Kim even as much as he dislikes Jimmy.
Old 03-31-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
So Chuck didn't want Jimmy to become a chimp with a machine gun, but by blocking his attempt at being a real, legitmate lawyer, Chuck ended up giving the chimp the machine gun.
Yep pretty ironic considering the road that Jimmy eventually goes down. So far on this series Jimmy is a decent guy trying to make it as a legitimate lawyer. He had a shady past but is trying to get away from that and the one person he thought he'd be able to trust turned on him and led him down a darker path ultimately.
Old 03-31-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
That's bullshit. Yeah, he may not have worked his nose to the stone in getting a degree, but he is a damn great lawyer. Chuck was being extremely hard on him and all Jimmy seemed to have wanted was the approval of his brother for the longest time.
Might be harsh of me, but I don't think it's bullshit at all. Based on Chuck's experience with his brother no one knows or thinks he's a great lawyer, despite catching this fraud thing initially. Like Chuck was saying, he's still just "Slippin' Jimmy" to him.

Kind of along the lines of what RoyalTea said, not getting automatically hired at HHM isn't surprising as not everyone who passes the bar gets a pass in to a law firm. I imagine the other partners might have given Jimmy a bye because of his brother at the time. Chuck making Hamlin do all the talking for him and blocking him from helping with the case is certainly shitty though.
Old 03-31-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I guess the people that are buying this episode from iTunes/Vudu/wherever are getting "Pigfucker" in its full glory.
Old 03-31-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I wonder with his identity change from McGill to Goodman (most likely coming at the end of this season), if it means he might come out of hiding from Omaha and come back as McGill later on if they do any post-BB episodes/seasons. But I guess it depends on how cognizant people were of Goodman's past as McGill.
Old 03-31-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Great episode, but I think they missed calling it an even better title ending in O: "Fredo"

SPOILER ALERT [for a 40 year old movie]: (as in the brother who betrays Michael Corleone in The Godfather, Part II )
Old 03-31-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Might be harsh of me, but I don't think it's bullshit at all. Based on Chuck's experience with his brother no one knows or thinks he's a great lawyer, despite catching this fraud thing initially. Like Chuck was saying, he's still just "Slippin' Jimmy" to him.
I do sort of get where Chuck is coming from. I mean earlier in the season we saw him working with the two skateboard guys to try and make easy money off of people, plus the whole billboard incident. Plus obviously everything that happened in the past. I think he does have a reason to be skeptical about Jimmy, but at the same time doesn't seem to be really willing to give him a fair chance and wants to write him off as no good.

The thing is as viewers we see that Jimmy has been trying to turn over a new leaf and gain a good reputation as a real lawyer and not someone out to scam people. In the end Chuck is going to help leading Jimmy into becoming Saul Goodman and going down the wrong path.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-31-15 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-31-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan

Kind of along the lines of what RoyalTea said, not getting automatically hired at HHM isn't surprising as not everyone who passes the bar gets a pass in to a law firm. I imagine the other partners might have given Jimmy a bye because of his brother at the time. Chuck making Hamlin do all the talking for him and blocking him from helping with the case is certainly shitty though.
I agree Chuck has legitimate concerns. HHM is no mom-and-pop lawyer shop. Jimmy could definitely be seen as a potential liability. He is still clearly a wildcard with the stunts he pulls, motivations aside.

It just was so much harsher coming from his brother, though he did try to make it seem otherwise (by hiding it). Chuck knew him as Slippin' Jimmy a lot longer than he knew him as a lawyer. In hindsight, Jimmy doing the lawyer thing on his own as a means to prove to Chuck how much he had changed may have hurt him. Had Chuck walked him through it (gotten him into a better school, etc) he may have respected the accomplishment more. To Chuck the law is sacred, and Slippin' Jimmy coming through a diploma mill to allow him to practice is an affront to Chuck, same as if anyone else would have done it. And he just couldn't look past that, whether it was his brother or not. Acting on Jimmy's behalf would have reflected poorly Chuck and sapped his reputation, and Chuck couldn't deal with that.

That said, it was still a dick move to pull on a brother, and he went so much further than he needed to when laying it out for him.
Old 03-31-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Yeah, realistically, Jimmy's a liability. He's shady as fuck; we saw him trying to run a scam with the skateboarders, and we know from BB that he's going to get in with drug dealers.

I realize that we're supposed to sympathize with him, being the main character and all, but at the same time he's the kind of lawyer who could get his firm into a shitload of trouble.
Old 03-31-15, 01:34 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Agreed this was a fantastic episode. The stuff with Jimmy/Chuck was great. The stuff with Mike was great. The final segment was very powerful. Just a great acting job all-around. This season has been such a pleasure (and a surprise). Excited (and a little sad) for the season finale next week.
Old 03-31-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

IMO the best scene of the series so far was Mike's speech in the car. It not only showed his own thought process towards his own choices but also mirrored what is going to become of both Walt and Saul. Good people who choose to do illegal things are still criminals.
Old 03-31-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Pigfucker" in its full glory.
My favorite episode of Black Mirror.
Old 03-31-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
My favorite episode of Black Mirror.
Really? I was kind of mixed on that one.
Old 03-31-15, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great episode. I can see Chuck's reasoning for not wanting Jimmy, but it was a bastard way to do it.

Originally Posted by Groucho
Nice appearence by "Trevor" from GTAV.
Mike vs. Trevor was awesome. They should have had Michael and Franklin along as the rest of the crew.
Old 03-31-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved this episode. Saw where it was headed, but loved how it unfolded. For as great as Odenkirk does in the show's funny moments, he nails the dramatic ones. It was heartbreaking watching him plea to get a spot on the case in the boardroom and then confronting his brother with the truth.

And I loved the stuff with Mike, obviously.

Originally Posted by andicus
Wow. That was heartbreaking. There were the telltale signs from Chuck, but I didn't want to believe it could be true. At least it was nice that Kim went to bat for Jimmy.
Yeah, it was nice to see Kim cared enough to put herself in that position. And I can appreciate that Hamlin was playing the bad guy and taking it even thought he might have otherwise let Jimmy be more involved with the case.

I just wish there was a compromise where HHM could handle the majority of the case but let Jimmy be involved and learn how to be an actual lawyer in the process. Oh well...

Originally Posted by Mike86
I do sort of get where Chuck is coming from. I mean earlier in the season we saw him working with the two skateboard guys to try and make easy money off of people, plus the whole billboard incident.
He wasn't really trying to make easy money off anyone with the skateboard guys. He was trying to get in good with the Kettlemans to get their business and actually defend the embezzlement case against the husband. And the billboard incident was just to get himself some publicity.

Neither are the most ethical things to do, but they're different than his past scams in that he was just trying to get legitimate work.
Old 03-31-15, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree with chuck. Jimmy has let him down so many times. I've got old friends who are totally irresponsible. We are friends but I would never trust them with anything important.
Old 03-31-15, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kstublen
He wasn't really trying to make easy money off anyone with the skateboard guys. He was trying to get in good with the Kettlemans to get their business and actually defend the embezzlement case against the husband. And the billboard incident was just to get himself some publicity.

Neither are the most ethical things to do, but they're different than his past scams in that he was just trying to get legitimate work.
True. The skateboard guys were really just his hopeful ticket to landing a potentially big case for himself. The billboard thing I agree wasn't the worst scam to pull but it was still sort of shady and not something a legitimate lawyer would pull. I get why he did it though.
Old 03-31-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great episode. Chuck may be partially right, but that's not the way to threat your brother, your own blood. He back stabbed him.
Old 04-01-15, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Just caught this episode tonight. Oh wow, that last scene with Chuck and Jimmy was awesome. Oh man, I felt the betrayal that Jimmy felt in that scene. What a huge knife that Chuck stuck in Jimmy's back, especially after everything he did for him. I get some of Chuck's POV, but you don't do that kind of thing to your own family. Yeah he's trying to be a protective older brother and maybe teach Jimmy a lesson. But Jimmy did so many things for him during his condition and IMO you don't shun someone close to you like that because now you're better and think it's bullshit that he took "shortcuts" to get where he is now. Who doesn't sometimes in life when the opportunity arises? yeah Jimmy has a shady past, but he learned from it and made himself better even though he took the shorter route.

Can't wait to see the finale. Man, these 9 weeks flew by.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-01-15 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-01-15, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just caught this episode tonight. Oh wow, that last scene with Chuck and Jimmy was awesome. Oh man, I felt the betrayal that Jimmy felt in that scene. What a huge knife that Chuck stuck in Jimmy's back, especially after everything he did for him. I get some of Chuck's POV, but you don't do that kind of thing to your own family. Yeah he's trying to be a protective older brother and maybe teach Jimmy a lesson. But Jimmy did so many things for him during his condition and IMO you don't shun someone close to you like that because now you're better and think it's bullshit that he took "shortcuts" to get where he is now. Who doesn't sometimes in life when the opportunity arises? yeah Jimmy has a shady past, but he learned from it and made himself better even though he took the shorter route.

Can't wait to see the finale. Man, these 9 weeks flew by.
The reason chuck had the condition in the first place was from all the shit jimmy put him through. He's the black sheep of the family. No one would risk getting him a job at their prestigious workplace. Well, he did get him a starters job, but he's not trying to stick his neck out when he knows how unreliable jimmy is. Chuck told him to take the deal.
Old 04-01-15, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I know some of the Chuck stuff slowed down some episodes of the show earlier in the season, but all of that setup really paid off in this episode. By showing just how much Jimmy did for Chuck, made Chuck's betrayal all the more meaningful.
Old 04-01-15, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
BTW, he was talking about Pimento cheese sandwich, not olives.
The appropriate picture would've been:

Old 04-01-15, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope Chuck is killed.
Old 04-01-15, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Nice appearence by "Trevor" from GTAV.
Holy hell. That makes this even more awesome.

....Did not see that coming from Chuck.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.