Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (S5E16) -- 90 Minute Season Finale -- "Conquer" -- 3/29/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S5E16) -- 90 Minute Season Finale -- "Conquer" -- 3/29/15

Old 03-30-15, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That was uneventful as far as season finales go, none of the main characters died, though they did leave us hanging with Glenn out with Captain Guilt. That zombie kill was fairly original, what'd he do, squeeze its head until the brains came out?

I thought that the Wolves would at least attack or something as a cliffhanger.

Gabriel has a serious gratitude problem. Is he shell shocked from the guilt of letting everyone die outside the church? That seems to be the only impetus for his behavior.
Old 03-31-15, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S5E16) -- 90 Minute Season Finale -- "Conquer" -- 3/29/15

Thought I would check this out and see if it is no longer the dumbest and dullest show on television. Silly me. Obviously it gives people what they want, but this show has no inertia or development at all. It's like Anne Rice's books after Queen of the Damned, they are all exactly the same and with the same message and theme, just slightly different plot points. The Daryl chain thing was cool though. Interesting too that you can get face showered in zombie viscera and be OK, when it would be pretty much identical to getting bit.
Old 03-31-15, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Thought I would check this out and see if it is no longer the dumbest and dullest show on television. Silly me. Obviously it gives people what they want, but this show has no inertia or development at all. It's like Anne Rice's books after Queen of the Damned, they are all exactly the same and with the same message and theme, just slightly different plot points. The Daryl chain thing was cool though. Interesting too that you can get face showered in zombie viscera and be OK, when it would be pretty much identical to getting bit.
Not the way you become a zombie.
Old 03-31-15, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It is kind of odd that someone would think watching the last episode of serialize show would make them want to watch it if they didn't like it before. I mean that comment was very ignorant. The main point of several episodes dealt with zombie guts getting all over a person. Then how would you even know if their was development if you haven't watched all the episodes. Also that is kind of silly considering Rick is now Shane. Morgan is now a Jedi Knight. Eugene is now brave. Michonne can now use her words. Yeah there is a lot that is still the same from season one. Zombie still eat brains. Zombie still have ninja training. People still do mean stuff. The show is still a zombie show.
Old 03-31-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by achau9598
I thought that zombie looked a bit like Gary Busey

Oh ... and THE POWER OF CHRIST: now with new stain-repellant formula!
I thought it was Gary busey too.
Old 03-31-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

johnnysd has popped in and out to declare how he stopped watching the show a few times, so it's not surprising to see him pop in just to comment on how bad it is again.
Old 03-31-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you planning on hate watching this next year as well? AMC must really have their hooks in you.
Old 03-31-15, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who cares what he thinks, he's only standard def anyway.
Old 03-31-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Thought I would check this out and see if it is no longer the dumbest and dullest show on television. Silly me.
I disagree. There are many, many dumb shows. There are many, many dull shows. So topping both categories with the same show would be a remarkable, and I would say nigh impossible. And then to maintain that standard over several seasons would truly be a landmark occurrence.
Old 03-31-15, 02:39 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I thought I would check out this thread to see if johnnysd had stopped being a whiny bitch about a show he clearly hates but continues to watch. Silly me.
Old 03-31-15, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
So I am guessing the Wolves mark their victims with the "W", or are they former wolves who have died and they just decided to add them to their hoard of zombies?
Originally Posted by chowderhead
If their aim was ammo why would they set a trap with surprise zombies that would almost guarantee that the person/people would expend their ammo after the trap is sprung. When the door is opened, just have spikes or arrows fly out to kill the victim. collect the gear and ammo later. If the aim is creating a horde of walkers to attack a fortified town, why give up the element of surprise by marking their zombies. It's just bizarre.
This is not based on anything beyond what we have seen (no comics influence), but here is my theory on the Wolves: we've seen both of them. It isn't a gang. It isn't a faction. There is no leader and there are no other Wolves. It is just these two yahoos. They are the ones who have painted all the warnings (think about where the warnings were and what they said). Along with the Ws and the trailers of zombies, it is nothing more than theatrics. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Old 03-31-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I doubt two people could kill that many people. They don't come across as being the brightest people. Also just because we didn't see other people running around with W carved in their heads doesn't mean there isn't a camp 5 to 1000 somewhere. These two could just be assigned to this area. That one town that Ty died in looked like it was hit by more than two people.
Old 03-31-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I just pray that the writers have fully thought through the inner dynamics of this Wolves group better than the hospital group.
Old 03-31-15, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
This is not based on anything beyond what we have seen (no comics influence), but here is my theory on the Wolves: we've seen both of them. It isn't a gang. It isn't a faction. There is no leader and there are no other Wolves. It is just these two yahoos. They are the ones who have painted all the warnings (think about where the warnings were and what they said). Along with the Ws and the trailers of zombies, it is nothing more than theatrics. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
My assumption is that there's a large group of them-the name implies that they move in packs-and that they basically have a rape and pillage philosophy where they take what they want and kill whoever has it. They're probably a big enough group to cause major trouble for the whole of Alexandria and will be next season's antagonists.
Old 04-01-15, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or maybe, they already know about the village and it's just two people building a zombie army to take over the town.
Old 04-01-15, 07:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The Wolves don't need any structure or clear path because they're batsh!t crazy. My theory based on Morgan's conversaion when that one guy implied they're based on a legend of wolves turning into men. Now they believe men are turning back into wolves (walkers) and they're on board with that. I think the W is a dedication to their belief. They want to turn into walkers when they die. Until then they spend their time turning others. Like Carl's new girlfriend said the world belongs to the walkers now not the survivors. I think the Wolves have simply joined the winning side.
Old 04-01-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

So why wouldn't their scouts have any ammunition?

If you were in a car, surrounded by hordes of zombies with your life in imminent danger, why would you take time to write a note saying bad people are coming? How would you even know that?

If your town had just been pillaged and burned, why would you paint a message saying "Wolves not far"?
Old 04-01-15, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
If your town had just been pillaged and burned, why would you paint a message saying "Wolves not far"?
I thought it was assumed the Wolves painted it.

But yeah, the note thing was a little weird. Maybe someone who didn't end up captured and knows what the Wolves are up to came by and left it.
Old 04-01-15, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

Teaser poster featuring Season 6 villain:

Spoiler:
Old 04-01-15, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Fantastic finale. Just enough tension to be dramatic without resorting to offing characters.

I have no problems suspending disbelief with this show but I'm still sitting here scratching my head on how Morgan tracked two vehicles hundreds(?) of miles on foot to find Rick's group. Am I missing something or is this a question we shouldn't be asking?

Originally Posted by dhmac
Abraham's speech: "Simply put, there is a vast ocean of shit that you people don't know shit about. Rick knows every fine grain of said shit... and then some."
That has to be my favorite line of the whole series. Funny but succinct enough to get his point across to the 'kids' of Alexandria. Plus it would have been weird for Abraham to have some eloquent speech prepared. Despite merging groups it still kinda feels segregated between Rick's group and Abraham's group so it was nice seeing Abraham having Rick's back.

Actually, reading it it sounds more like something Eugene was say. It kinda has his cadence the way it's written.

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I thought I would check out this thread to see if johnnysd had stopped being a whiny bitch about a show he clearly hates but continues to watch. Silly me.
johnnysd is to the Walking Dead as stevn1974 is to Christopher Nolan
Old 04-02-15, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Why isn't Eugene dead yet? Is there anyone that wants that character around anymore? I figured he would have bought it in this episode.
Old 04-02-15, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I have no problems suspending disbelief with this show but I'm still sitting here scratching my head on how Morgan tracked two vehicles hundreds(?) of miles on foot to find Rick's group. Am I missing something or is this a question we shouldn't be asking?
Speaking of, didn't Aaron say something to Daryl along the lines of them being 50 miles from "home" and they should be thinking about heading back right before they decided to give up on red poncho guy and went for the food truck trap? So they were 50 miles from Alexandria when Morgan strolled by. Well Morgan did say he was lost.
Old 04-02-15, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Why isn't Eugene dead yet? Is there anyone that wants that character around anymore? I figured he would have bought it in this episode.
He's still smart.
Old 04-02-15, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
He didn't find Rick's group. They were 50 miles away from Alexandria when he came across Aaron & Darryl. He was heading to Washington DC because of the map with Rick's name on it, and was lost.
Old 04-02-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.