Reload this Page >

Community (Yahoo Screen) - Season 6 Discussion Thread - premieres 3/17/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Community (Yahoo Screen) - Season 6 Discussion Thread - premieres 3/17/15

Old 08-25-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Community (Yahoo Screen) - Season 6 Discussion Thread - premieres 3/17/15

Sorry, guys, she's officially off the market. Nice pull, Dave Franco.

http://www.people.com/article/dave-f...book_peoplemag
Old 08-26-15, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Sorry, guys, she's officially off the market. Nice pull, Dave Franco.

http://www.people.com/article/dave-f...book_peoplemag
Would have guessed Adam Scott. Nice pull by both. They each have their fanboys/girls and are doing well. See if they can't be a comedy power couple like Anna and Chris.
Old 09-01-15, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any word on a DVD release?
Old 09-01-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I gotta say ... I hated watching this on Yahoo!. Seems like a lot of buffering, sometimes the commercials looped way too long, etc. Not as solid as Netflix nor Hulu (though Hulu is now annoying me with a Pacifica ad that stops if you don't have the screen up ... really hope that's not the future).
Just getting through the season now, so I apologize for the thread bump. I had no issue wathcing these on Yahoo! on my roku. No buffering and no lag issues. The Yahoo app on Roku has a weird interface and no subtitles, but I had no beuffering issues throughout the season. I also didnt have any ads. I was able to stream the epsiodes back to back. Of course, I watched them in August and not when they were originally released.
Old 10-21-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Oof! Yahoo lost $42 million on Community (in addition to two other shows).
Old 10-21-15, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Oof! Yahoo lost $42 million on Community (in addition to two other shows).

Could have been recovered by showing Annie's boobs..? But nooooo....
Old 10-21-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I imagine they used Community as a jumping off point to get a small amount of people onto Yahoo Screen in hopes that they'd begin to follow their original shows and help build an audience for it. The only problem with that is that their original shows were terrible.
Old 10-21-15, 12:45 PM

I imagine they used Community as a jumping off point to get a small amount of people onto Yahoo Screen in hopes that they'd begin to follow their original shows and help build an audience for it. The only problem with that is that their original shows were terrible.

Yeah, I am pretty sure they knew they were going to take a hit financially. Still going to side that they should have had more of Annie's boobs.
Old 10-21-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Yahoo Screen's problem is the app is terrible, the interface sucks, and they had no commercials (Which I didn't mind but c'mon you can't make money without em).
Old 10-21-15, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yahoo Screen's problem is the app is terrible, the interface sucks, and they had no commercials (Which I didn't mind but c'mon you can't make money without em).
Depends, on some devices I got commercials and other I did not.
Old 10-21-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's hoping for the proverbial movie.
Old 10-21-15, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar
Here's hoping for the proverbial movie.
Wouldn't hold my breath, but with you.
Old 10-21-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-21-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stopgap
Wouldn't hold my breath, but with you.
Hard to believe that they couldn't pull together the funding for it. Hell they made a Veronica Mars movie and that show didn't have the fans Community had.
Old 10-21-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks to crowdfunding, the movie is always a possibility. It's all about how dedicated the cast and crew are to doing it.
Old 10-21-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Thanks to crowdfunding, the movie is always a possibility. It's all about how dedicated the cast and crew are to doing it.
The only ones that showed up to the final cast and crew wrap party was Pudi, Jeong and Rash. I think that shows everyone else's dedication.
Old 10-21-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
The only ones that showed up to the final cast and crew wrap party was Pudi, Jeong and Rash. I think that shows everyone else's dedication.
Where did you get that information from?

And I think Mars had a better (more dedicated at least) fanbase than Community. Bell is a bigger name than anyone on Community.
Old 10-21-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Where did you get that information from?

And I think Mars had a better (more dedicated at least) fanbase than Community. Bell is a bigger name than anyone on Community.
He works at the Sony lot.
Old 10-21-15, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
He works at the Sony lot.
Damn that's crazy. Wonder why it was only those 3. Kind of makes you wonder, especially with how Joel said they are all bigger names and worth more than a TV contract =/
Old 10-22-15, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

What's this from?
Old 10-22-15, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Plus it had fairly poor distribution. Yahoo Screen wasn't -- and still isn't -- on any of the current-gen gaming consoles (and only on one of the previous gen), and for weird people like me who'd prefer not to watch on a computer monitor or tablet, I didn't have any options I liked.
Old 10-22-15, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Plus it had fairly poor distribution. Yahoo Screen wasn't -- and still isn't -- on any of the current-gen gaming consoles (and only on one of the previous gen), and for weird people like me who'd prefer not to watch on a computer monitor or tablet, I didn't have any options I liked.
True, I watched it on my Roku and it's just a dated experience all around. Big company like Yahoo should know user experience plays a big role in stuff like that. But then, Amazon hasn't really figured that out yet either.

Originally Posted by joltman
What's this from?
Rick and Morty (S02E03: Auto Erotic Assimilation) -- was a blink and you missed it second (@ 0:38), though I have a feeling "Now cancel it! Now bring it back! Alright now I'm bored" was pretty much Harmon verbatim.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o8Bi2RLiphY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by RichC2; 10-22-15 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-22-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
Hell they made a Veronica Mars movie and that show didn't have the fans Community had.
I doubt that. Veronica Mars fans are a loyal bunch. When the show was on the verge of cancellation, they bought every Mars candy bar for sale online to send to The CW's offices. Like, EVERY SINGLE ONE. The campaign had to switch to marshmallows, which were easier to find (it's a line from the pilot: "you're a marshmallow, Veronica Mars"). I know Veronica Mars fans who are still pissed about the show being cancelled, even though it was 8 years ago. Dawn Ostroff is still a bad name with these folks. And there are at least two Veronica Mars novels, so I guess the first sold well enough to warrant a second.

Community might have more fans, but they're a wishy-washy lot. Many think it's dead and want it to stay that way. Many would like a movie, but don't really care that much in the end. Even those who want a movie might only want it if Donald Glover comes back. And if you put ten Community fans in a room, none of them would agree on what the movie should be about, or pay homage to. I can see it now: someone announces a Community movie that will basically be a two-hour paintball episode: half the fans rejoice, the other half complain and swear they won't see it.
Old 10-22-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Community might have more fans, but they're a wishy-washy lot. Many think it's dead and want it to stay that way. Many would like a movie, but don't really care that much in the end. Even those who want a movie might only want it if Donald Glover comes back. And if you put ten Community fans in a room, none of them would agree on what the movie should be about, or pay homage to. I can see it now: someone announces a Community movie that will basically be a two-hour paintball episode: half the fans rejoice, the other half complain and swear they won't see it.
I don't think Community fans are so wishy washy. I just think that they watched what was once one of the best shows on tv die a slow and painful death over the course of 6 years and at this point the thrill is mostly gone. If Community had been canceled after season 3, I would have lost my freaking mind. Instead, we got 3 more seasons, one of which was an outright abortion and two which were zombie seasons where we got to see the original cast fade away before our eyes. I'd love to see a movie, but only if Harmon had a meaningful story to tell and only if it included the original cast. I saw enough Community for Community's sake the last couple of years.

Veronica Mars, on the other hand, was killed off before its time. Season 3 wasn't great, but a lot of that had to do with network meddling. When the plug was pulled, fans were in such an uproar already that they would have done anything to get it back.
Old 10-22-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I don't think Community fans are so wishy washy. I just think that they watched what was once one of the best shows on tv die a slow and painful death over the course of 6 years and at this point the thrill is mostly gone. If Community had been canceled after season 3, I would have lost my freaking mind. Instead, we got 3 more seasons, one of which was an outright abortion and two which were zombie seasons where we got to see the original cast fade away before our eyes. I'd love to see a movie, but only if Harmon had a meaningful story to tell and only if it included the original cast. I saw enough Community for Community's sake the last couple of years.

Veronica Mars, on the other hand, was killed off before its time. Season 3 wasn't great, but a lot of that had to do with network meddling. When the plug was pulled, fans were in such an uproar already that they would have done anything to get it back.
Agreed. I didn't make the jump on the show when it went to Yahoo. And started disliking it with Ken on it (as he got more time, the show dragged). Then the loss of Pierce and Troy, ugh. They need everyone back for a movie to happen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.