Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Community (Yahoo Screen) - Season 6 Discussion Thread - premieres 3/17/15

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Community (Yahoo Screen) - Season 6 Discussion Thread - premieres 3/17/15

Kinda bummed they couldn't get Donald Glover in the last episode, for at least a minute in one of the cut-aways. Also, Shirley's lost a lot of weight.
Old 06-03-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I seriously disliked most of this season, I'd still be in for a movie, to finish it off the right way. #6SeasonsAndAMovie
Old 06-03-15, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Kinda bummed they couldn't get Donald Glover in the last episode, for at least a minute in one of the cut-aways. Also, Shirley's lost a lot of weight.
Yeah, I agree it was very odd to have Shirley there, but not Troy.

I appreciate what they were going for with this finale. Giving each character's take on the "premise" of the show. It was trying to be thematically like the alternate timeline episode, but not quite on that level.

But let's be honest, the show has done, what, four series finales thus far? Ever since season three, they've just assumed that was their last and wrote a fitting ending to their show each season. You can only do that so long. At least this one tried to be different by discussing the "reality" of their show.

I didn't dislike this season. It did feel slightly off, but it has felt that way since season four. This season did give us some good episodes. I think I laughed quite a lot at Abed's terrible sci-fi movie episode. But even the "gas leak" year (thank you Chang for farting during Abed's fourth "cool") gave us the Freaky Friday episode which I recall was well received.

After this episode ended, I did actually feel a little sad. This time more than the others, it felt like it finally ended. I know a movie send-off is not out of the realm of possibilities, but the series truly feels over.
Old 06-04-15, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Community has always been great including season 4. If this was the series finale it was fantastic. I won't be paying to see a movie if that happens.

Thanks for the ride.
Old 06-04-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

that was an odd ending. wasn't great, but this season wasn't terrible. just very uneven. in a way i hope it doesn't come back. we've had the too many finales but then it somehow gets saved episodes. i did like the message of Jeff realizing what he had and what the group has meant to him in his life. i think most people can relate to that in they've had a similar situation where you've had to move on and things change.
Old 06-05-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts

I finally caught up on the last 4 episodes. I had been pretty mixed on this season through the first 9 episodes. It had it's moments, but it all felt mostly pointless. I didn't dislike it like I did season 4, but I felt apathetic, which may be worse. Thankfully I mostly enjoyed the final four and thought they went out on a relative (for season 6) solid streak. The problem is the writing at this point just isn't up to snuff. Conceptually I get what they're going for and you can tell Harmon's finger prints are all over it (unlike the zombie season 4), but the polish and the sharpness of the jokes just isn't anywhere to be found.

The RV episode was the kind of thing they would have crushed in season 2. Here it's just aggravating. I'm still not sure what it was about, but I didn't dislike it as much as some as the others here. Abed's meta obsession is pretty much killed dead, buried and then dug up and killed again just to be safe at this point.

The paintball ep was well put together but the novelty is mostly worn off at this point. The scenario of the students rebelling against Frankie was a good setup, but the general lack of direction and investment in the "save Greendale" plot rendered it pretty flaccid. And are we supposed to know who Silver Ballz was? I did enjoy picking out all of the movie references though. Highlander is a personal favorites, so it was fun to see that riff with Starburns and Todd.

I actually really liked the wedding episode, even if it wasn't perfect. I think the notion of wedding guests making things about themselves is a very real phenomenon and I thought they evoked those ideas nicely. Elroy in particular was killing it. The problem is, again, the episode didn't have any real context. The first couple of seasons had very specific arcs for the individual characters as well as the group as a whole. The group being selfish and showing up to wedding and acting like a-holes would have had a purpose and meant something. Here it was just some stuff that happened.

Then there's the finale. I thought this was the best episode of the season and the only one that really evoked any real emotion out of me. I thought the meta angle actually worked great in this context. In my dream scenario of a Harmon lead fourth and final season with the original cast intact, this would have been a perfect finale. Unfortunately the show just doesn't have it's fastball anymore. The chemistry in the group was never the same after Troy left and as I mentioned above, the show's story arc the last two seasons left no real reason for emotional investment other than the lingering ties to the early seasons. There was also one other major issue I had with it...

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak
But let's be honest, the show has done, what, four series finales thus far? Ever since season three, they've just assumed that was their last and wrote a fitting ending to their show each season. You can only do that so long. At least this one tried to be different by discussing the "reality" of their show.
...and there it is. This was the show's fourth "series finale." I get why it played out the way it did, but it's still disappointing. It's hard to get too wrapped up in things when we've already been down this path so many times. Still, it might have been the best of the four. It's certainly neck and neck with the season 3 finale. 4 and 5 both sucked.

All in all things didn't didn't play out for this show the way I would have liked them to and the last three years have been pretty mediocre, but I'm still sad to see it go. Starting with the chicken fingers episode in season 1 though the first half or so of season 3, I loved this show more than just about anything I've ever loved. I still do love those older episodes. I could go put on Cooperative Calligraphy or Critical Film Studies or Remedial Chaos Studies right now and be just as mesmerized by them as I was the first 15 times I saw them. In fact I think I might just do that.

I will say that if there is to be a movie, the original cast all need to be there. Pierce can be just a cameo for obvious reasons, but otherwise everyone needs to be there as full participants. I don't care if they have to blackmail Donald Glover. I also don't want to see it unless Dan Harmon has a great idea that he's excited about making. If he's doing out of of obligation, I don't want to see it.
Old 06-05-15, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rather enjoyed that finale. It was a nice thank you letter to all the fans. I'm up for a movie, but no more show.

Originally Posted by slop101
The non-Harmon season was better than this one.
I think S4 has a strength in that when it got to the emotional stuff, the cast pulled it off. I felt bad for Britta when Troy broke up with her. I put that on Donald Glover & Gillian Jacobs for making it work.

Try as she might, Gillian couldn't save the awful writing the writers did for Britta in S6.

Besides the terrible writing and the lack of cohesive flow for most episodes, I think this show was suffering from taking itself too seriously. The show lost a lot of wit, charm and carefree silliness it had before, and just replaced it with Abed being *more* meta, Britta being even more terrible, and Jeff being a cranky drinker.

I think the ending for Jeff and Annie was alright, but I know most of this season was just catering to all those fans out there pushing for the two of them to hook up.

Originally Posted by rocket1312
The RV episode was the kind of thing they would have crushed in season 2. Here it's just aggravating. I'm still not sure what it was about, but I didn't dislike it as much as some as the others here. Abed's meta obsession is pretty much killed dead, buried and then dug up and killed again just to be safe at this point.
The RV episode is the kind of thing they would have made fun of in S1,2&3. As bad as everyone claims S4 stuff was, this one was far worse. S4 episodes might have been unfunny, but they had a point and at least made sense. This one was crappy amateur fan-fiction someone posted on their blog.
Old 06-06-15, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought finale was kind of boring myself. I enjoyed the season overall though.
Old 08-04-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Looks like it is dead: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/381...fficially-over

It looks like Greendale High has shut its doors once and for all.

After being cancelled by NBC and then picked up by Yahoo, there was hope that Dan Harmon's sitcom "Community" would be able to continue life on the online portal where it reportedly had performed well in its sixth season.

Sadly though, the show's star Joel McHale spoke with Metro Weekly recently and said that there won't be any further episodes. It's not because Yahoo doesn't want to continue it, rather it's because the show is too prohibitively expensive to continue with:

"No. They wanted to. But all of our contracts were up after six years. All the actors on the show, almost without exception - their stock has risen significantly and it's out of the pay rate that is affordable to make the show. So you're not going to be able to get Alison Brie or Gillian Jacobs at a normal television salary anymore. There is just not enough money to be able to pay for the show."

"Community" helped Yahoo Screen jump into original programming which they're planning to continue with such new shows as the comedy "Other Space".
Old 08-04-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I don't think this is news. It was going to be next to impossible to get the band together for another season.
Old 08-05-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Any idea how it even did on Yahoo? I watched the show on TV, but never got into it streaming. Was the season even worth watching? Seems like the last page or two are pretty mixed.
Old 08-05-15, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

On his podcast, Dan Harmon said that Yahoo was very happy with how the show did. I think they're like Netflix though and don't release actual numbers.

I thought the season was a mixed bag overall. If you liked Season 5, you will probably find stuff to enjoy in Season 6. If not, I would probably skip.
Old 08-05-15, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

js" charset="utf-8">*********>" target="_blank">
******** async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">*********>

so who knows?
Old 08-05-15, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
On his podcast, Dan Harmon said that Yahoo was very happy with how the show did. I think they're like Netflix though and don't release actual numbers.

I thought the season was a mixed bag overall. If you liked Season 5, you will probably find stuff to enjoy in Season 6. If not, I would probably skip.
I wonder why Netflix doesn't release numbers. One would think they would. If only Yahoo had the money like Netflix, though. I mean, Netflix got Bradley Cooper, Paul Rudd, and Elizabeth Banks to do a mini series. Those Community stars can't be worth more than them.
Old 08-05-15, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I wonder why Netflix doesn't release numbers. One would think they would. If only Yahoo had the money like Netflix, though. I mean, Netflix got Bradley Cooper, Paul Rudd, and Elizabeth Banks to do a mini series. Those Community stars can't be worth more than them.
Why would they release the numbers? It doesn't really get them anything.

Most networks don't release numbers either. At best we get the estimates of an independent organization, Nielsen.
Old 08-06-15, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Why would they release the numbers? It doesn't really get them anything.

Most networks don't release numbers either. At best we get the estimates of an independent organization, Nielsen.
Networks trout those Nielsen numbers AND some of the numbers of streaming (or brag about them being high). Hell, NBC/Aquarius was all about talking on how streaming the show got them nice numbers and renewed the show. And those estimates are what investors look at anyways, especially that ole important 18-35 factor.
Old 08-06-15, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Networks trout those Nielsen numbers AND some of the numbers of streaming (or brag about them being high).
Because ratings are used to woo advertisers and set advertising rates.
That doesn't matter if you're a commercial-free subscription service like Netflix.

And investors look at profit/loss, not number of product sold or shows watched. Think Nabisco stock-owning investors care how many Oreo cookies were actually eaten? No. Only the money in/money out matters, not the usage.
Old 08-06-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

HBO uses Nielsen as well as an advertising tool (Game of Thrones is the second most watched show on cable, behind Walking Dead).

Netflix could benefit from putting their ratings out, but it's their call.
Old 08-06-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
HBO uses Nielsen as well as an advertising tool (Game of Thrones is the second most watched show on cable, behind Walking Dead).

How would Netflix benefit from that?
Old 08-06-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope this gets released on DVD. I don't at all mind waiting, so that Yahoo can get the most for it's money, but I very much want it on my shelf along with the rest of the Seasons.

Last edited by Strapped4Cash; 08-07-15 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-06-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I gotta say ... I hated watching this on Yahoo!. Seems like a lot of buffering, sometimes the commercials looped way too long, etc. Not as solid as Netflix nor Hulu (though Hulu is now annoying me with a Pacifica ad that stops if you don't have the screen up ... really hope that's not the future).
Old 08-07-15, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
How would Netflix benefit from that?
The "Watched by 20 million viewers" slogan always sells. It piques interest.
Old 08-07-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2

Thank you. And so does Disney, which I believe, only has their own commercials anyways.
Old 08-07-15, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 725 Likes on 530 Posts

Makes me that much more pissed Allison and Gillian did NOT attend the wrap party.
Old 08-07-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Makes me that much more pissed Allison and Gillian did NOT attend the wrap party.
Why didn't they?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.