DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Amazing Race (S26E04) -- "The Great Amazing Nasty Race" -- 3/13/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625722-amazing-race-s26e04-great-amazing-nasty-race-3-13-15-a.html)

DJariya 03-13-15 04:42 PM

The Amazing Race (S26E04) -- "The Great Amazing Nasty Race" -- 3/13/15

http://wwwimage.cbsstatic.com/base/f...5751_12170.jpg

TEAMS FACE A RACE WITHIN "THE RACE" WHEN THEY ATTEMPT TO NAVIGATE THE CHAOTIC STREETS OF BANGKOK, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," FRIDAY, MARCH 13

"The Great Amazing Nasty Race" (Bangkok)
- Teams face a race within the Race when they attempt to navigate the chaotic streets of Bangkok, and Racers eat a traditional delicacy - a "1,000 year old egg," on THE AMAZING RACE, Friday, March 13 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Phil Keoghan (@philkeoghan)
is the host.

Remaining Teams in THE AMAZING RACE:
Aly and Steven
Jonathan and Harley
Matt and Ashley
Mike and Rochelle
Blair and Hayley
Jeff and Jackie
Bergen and Kurt
Laura and Tyler
Jelani and Jenny

The Preexisting Dating Couples:

Name: Aly Dudek
Hometown: Milwaukee, Wis.
Relationship Status: Dating
Occupation: Olympic Athlete *won bronze at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics in short track speed skating

Name: Steven Langton
Hometown: Boston, Mass.
Occupation: Olympic Athlete *won 2 bronze medals at the 2014 Sochi Olympics in bobsledding

Length of Relationship: 7 months

Name: Harley Rodriguez
Hometown: New York, N.Y.

Name: Jonathan Knight (@JonathanRKnight)

Length of Relationship: 7 years

Name: Matt Cucolo
Hometown: Scarsdale, N.Y.
Relationship Status: Engaged

Name: Ashley Gordon
Hometown: Scarsdale, N.Y. Connection to your teammate: Engaged

Length of Relationship: Known 10 years, dating 3 years

Name: Rochelle Nevedal
Hometown: Kalkaska, Mich.

Name: Michael Dombrowski
Hometown: Traverse City, Mich.

Length of Relationship: 2 years

The Blind Date Couples:

Name: Hayley Keel
Hometown: St. Petersburg, Fla.
Relationship Status: Single

Name: Blair Townsend
Hometown: Jacksonville, Fla.

Name: Jackie Ibarra
Hometown: Las Vegas, Nev.

Name: Jeffrey Weldon
Hometown: Tampa, Fla.

Name: Laura Pierson
Hometown: Los Angeles, Calif.

Name: Tyler Adams
Hometown: Santa Monica, Calif.

Name: Jenny Wu
Hometown: Los Angeles, Calif.

Name: Jelani Roy

Name: Bergen Olson
Hometown: Sunnyvale, Calif.

Name: Kurt Jordan Belcher
Hometown: Butler, Ky.

Name: Jeff Magee (ELIMINATED 2/25)

Hometown: McCall, Idaho

Name: Lyda Grawn
Hometown: Scottsdale, Ariz.

Length of Relationship: Known 20 years, dating 4 years

Name: C.J. Harris (ELIMINATED 2/27)

Hometown: Tuskegee, Ala.

Name: Lebya Simpson
Hometown: Tuskegee, Ala.

Length of Relationship: Known for 15 years, dating for 10

emachine12 03-13-15 05:16 PM

Re: The Amazing Race (S26E04) -- "The Great Amazing Nasty Race" -- 3/13/15

I wonder if Blair is the one trying to outrace Hayley's berate of him. :rimshot:

hdnmickey 03-13-15 05:24 PM

A return of the gross food challenge. -rolleyes-

lwhy? 03-13-15 08:41 PM

Yuck! I wouldn't have been able to eat that egg. I don't know which two teams were more annoying this week Hayley and Blair or Jelani and Jenny. No new episodes until April 3rd due to March Madness.

Groucho 03-13-15 09:15 PM

Jonathan and Jordan never stood a chance after missing the first plane.

sven 03-14-15 06:50 AM

Yeah Laura definitely knows she looks like Amy Adams quoting Talladega Nights like that.

lwhy? 03-14-15 10:52 AM

Kurt had much less trouble eating the thousand year old egg than he did eating the ramen noodles.

TerryW 03-14-15 11:10 AM

Hopefully, they'll go to the Grand Canyon and Hayley can 'accidentally' slip and fall in. :rolleyes:

See You Next Tuesday.

Damfino 03-14-15 12:20 PM

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the process and history of the 1000 year old egg on Wikipedia.

The process was created as a means of preservation in the age before modern refrigeration. They have a strong odor of sulphur and ammonia, thus explaining why they would be hard to swallow.

brainee 03-14-15 01:46 PM

Blair's fake smile while Hayley is nagging him, while you can see murder in his eyes :lol:

Yeah, team New Kids was doomed ... from the combination of the timing of the first flight, needing to do the extra challenge, and the mandatory challenges not being particularly difficult.

I have a question for more regular viewers: I'm not understanding the rules for how many teams can do one side of a detour. Last week they all ended up doing the tree zip-line waiter task. But this week the 6th team to arrive at the boats was told they had to go do the other one. Are there limits to how many teams can do one challenge? Or is it one of those things where sometimes there are and sometimes there aren't (one of those random reality tv things that the players have to accept and roll with).

sven 03-14-15 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 12422953)
Or is it one of those things where sometimes there are and sometimes there aren't

This. They are usually warned that spots will be limited.

MLBFan24 03-14-15 03:17 PM

I'm Chinese so I've seen (but never tried) the 1000 year old egg before, or in this episode - the century old egg. I've seen them preserved in jars and it just looks nasty!

you guys were right, Hayley is annoying! haha

Sucks to see the lawyers arguing, but at least they're still in the race.

rbrown498 03-14-15 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 12423010)
I'm Chinese so I've seen (but never tried) the 1000 year old egg before, or in this episode - the century old egg. I've seen them preserved in jars and it just looks nasty!

I'm not Chinese, but I lived in Taiwan in 2001-2002, and one of my students brought me a thousand-year-old egg to try, along with a serving of stinky tofu.

I thought that the egg would be no problem and that the stinky tofu would be abhorrent, but I was backwards in my assumption--the stinky tofu wasn't bad at all, but the egg was disgusting beyond belief.

I'm bummed that we've got to wait three weeks until the next episode.

movieking 03-14-15 07:43 PM

Someone called it in a prior week, once the lawyers weren't in the lead, they started to turn on each other, especially the woman.

chowderhead 03-14-15 09:47 PM

Blair's fake smile while Hayley is nagging him, while you can see murder in his eyes :lol:

Yeah, team New Kids was doomed ... from the combination of the timing of the first flight, needing to do the extra challenge, and the mandatory challenges not being particularly difficult.

I have a question for more regular viewers: I'm not understanding the rules for how many teams can do one side of a detour. Last week they all ended up doing the tree zip-line waiter task. But this week the 6th team to arrive at the boats was told they had to go do the other one. Are there limits to how many teams can do one challenge? Or is it one of those things where sometimes there are and sometimes there aren't (one of those random reality tv things that the players have to accept and roll with).

NKTOB were doomed. There was no way they could have made up being so far behind.
They were doing a detour: a choice is between 2 tasks each with pluses and minuses. Most people did the zip line waiter detour last week because the water ski looked very very difficult and all the teams that tried the water ski switched to the zipline. The teams left the water taxi this week probably because the producers wanted to show both sides of the task and limited it to 5 water taxis. Of course they could have waited for the 5 taxis to go and come back but that would have wasted a lot of time.

It seems like the producers have been dropping the ball a little bit with very uneven detours. The sake one was infinitely easier than the robotic dancing one while the water ski one looked almost impossible and this week, the tuk-tuk and cat cafe seemed faster than the water taxi one with the long temple actions. Still it is entertaining to watch Hayley and Blair and Blair's reactions. I assume that is the reason TAR put them together.

brainee 03-14-15 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by chowderhead (Post 12423202)
Still it is entertaining to watch Hayley and Blair and Blair's reactions. I assume that is the reason TAR put them together.

Despite the host talking about making love connections, behind the scenes during casting the producers are going: "Oh man ... these two are going to HATE each other!" :lol:

Josh-da-man 03-15-15 03:12 AM

Generally, both detours are available for the teams to choose from; if there's a limited number of slots available, then it probably comes down to some kind of logistical thing.

Occasionally, there will be one detour that no team does.

buckeyes8604 03-15-15 10:14 AM

Really surprised they didn't do something to bunch the teams up after Harley & Johnathan were so far behind the last leg. They really didn't have a chance, it seems.

And I'm curious if the egg was 100 years old or 1000? The description for the episode says 1,000, but they called it the 'century egg' when asking about it.

Groucho 03-15-15 10:54 AM

"Century Eggs" are usually weeks old, sometimes months.

Josh-da-man 03-15-15 05:57 PM

I think they had century eggs on Survivor a long time ago (or was it Fear Factor?) for a food challenge.

They look fucking hideous, and I can't believe they can be consumed without the chump who eats it becoming violently ill.

chowderhead 03-15-15 06:28 PM

Survivor and Fear Factor had worse things like balut which looks absolutely gross.
I think the producers are looking for people who have fear of heights or cannot drive stick or can't eat weird foods or are afraid of cats! If you say you are fearless, adventure is your life, the producers might see you as too boring.

LiquidSky 03-16-15 05:32 AM

Sorry to see New Kids go. Yikes! Hayley! I held the TV control and began muting every time she was on.

movieking 03-16-15 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by chowderhead (Post 12423702)
Survivor and Fear Factor had worse things like balut which looks absolutely gross.
I think the producers are looking for people who have fear of heights or cannot drive stick or can't eat weird foods or are afraid of cats! If you say you are fearless, adventure is your life, the producers might see you as too boring.

Balut is the one thing that has always stuck with me in all of the AR/Survivor/Fear Factor/etc challenges. I think that I'd be able to suffer down pretty much anything, but balut is probably the one thing that I wouldn't be able to do.

Spiderbite 03-16-15 09:44 AM

That making the grasshopper out of bamboo challenge looked difficult as hell. That should quiet some of the people stating these challenges aren't pre-determined. Hell, I remember other people having to endure a foot rub on one speed bump so the grasshopper challenge was definitely not the one to give if they wanted to put the New Kids back in the mix.

mwbmis 03-16-15 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12424025)
That making the grasshopper out of bamboo challenge looked difficult as hell. That should quiet some of the people stating these challenges aren't pre-determined. Hell, I remember other people having to endure a foot rub on one speed bump so the grasshopper challenge was definitely not the one to give if they wanted to put the New Kids back in the mix.

If I remember correctly, then I believe the speed bumps are designed to take about 15 minutes. Friday's show just pretty much confirmed that they were so far behind on both the last two legs that editing aside there was no real suspense.