DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Most notable prime time soap opera? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625618-most-notable-prime-time-soap-opera.html)

stopgap 03-08-15 05:40 PM

Most notable prime time soap opera?

Lost

The Walking Dead

Other

I never made a poll before. Question still stands.

mrhan 03-08-15 05:43 PM

Re: Most notable prime time soap opera?

The most notable before those was the original Dallas and Dynasty.

The Cow 03-08-15 05:44 PM

Dallas

Timber 03-08-15 05:46 PM

Other than Dallas and Dynasty I have to throw in the vote for Melrose Place. A real throwback to the first 2.

mrhan 03-08-15 05:49 PM

I'll add Knots Landing and the original 90210. They're worth mentioning.

Shannon Nutt 03-08-15 06:04 PM

Most notable overall: Dallas

Biggest impact on television series that followed it: Twin Peaks

rbrown498 03-08-15 06:07 PM

I started to say Dallas, but I think that Peyton Place was probably even more important to the form, since it influenced Dallas in many ways.

mrhan 03-08-15 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by rbrown498 (Post 12416856)
I started to say Dallas, but I think that Peyton Place was probably even more important to the form, since it influenced Dallas in many ways.

Yeah, a friend of mine lives in Camden and she says tons of people come to their town because of Peyton Place to this very day.

Kdogg 03-08-15 06:15 PM

From the 80's
Dallas > Dynasty > Knots Landing > Falscon Crest

From the 90's
Beverly Hills > Melrose Place > Dawson's Creek (although I like DC the most)

Never watched Desperate Houses et al from the 90's

mhg83 03-08-15 06:24 PM

Dawson's Creek

It was the first of it's kind that spawned countless clones and launched the careers of many big stars. Surprisingly Vanderbeek ended up being the least famous of stars.

Red Dog 03-08-15 06:27 PM

Dallas. Not even close if you're talking notable. Close the thread.

IDrinkMolson 03-08-15 07:03 PM

Dallas and Soap

Mike86 03-08-15 07:19 PM

I'd say Dallas by far.

Count Dooku 03-08-15 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 12416839)
Dallas

Originally Posted by Red Dog (Post 12416871)
Dallas. Not even close if you're talking notable. Close the thread.

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12416900)
I'd say Dallas by far.

DING DING DING

We have our winner. No more calls.

writer106 03-08-15 10:13 PM

I got go with Dallas for 80s primetime soaps. For me, it would be tie between BH:90210 and Melrose Place for the 90s.

The Questyen 03-09-15 12:15 AM

I can't see any definition of soap opera where Lost and The Walking Dead would be included.

Paff 03-09-15 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 12417064)
I can't see any definition of soap opera where Lost and The Walking Dead would be included.

I wondered why it took 16 posts for someone to point this out. Serialized television does not necessarily mean it's a "soap opera"

DJariya 03-09-15 12:25 AM

Most notable primetime soap for 2015:

http://d1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net...70/empire.jpeg

PhantomStranger 03-09-15 01:19 AM

How Lost ever got mentioned as a soap is beyond me.:lol:

It all begins and ends with Dallas. Kids today will never understand how big that show was in its prime, the television environment has completely changed since those days.

GoldenJCJ 03-09-15 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12417094)
It all begins and ends with Dallas. Kids today will never understand how big that show was in its prime, the television environment has completely changed since those days.

Even though I was just a baby at the time, I still know about the pop culture insanity the "Who shot JR.?" story line caused. I can't think of another example of the TV audience being that crazy about a show since. Maybe The M*A*S*H or The Sopranos finales but I don't think they even match the frenzied Summer people waited to find out the conclusion to the cliffhanger.

I think I even had a "Who shot JR?" T-shirt when I was little without even knowing what it was referencing. :lol:

hanshotfirst1138 03-09-15 10:46 AM

I wasn't born at that point and even I've at least heard about the "who shot JR" storyline. It seems to have cast a big shadow, TV Guide was always talking about it as the biggest cliffhanger of all time.

The OC was big with teens when I was in high school, but probably doesn't count ;)

hdnmickey 03-09-15 11:23 AM

I suspect the mention of Lost and The Walking Dead was just an attempt to get in a dig at those shows. Which doesn't work given there is nothing wrong with a really well done soap.

Obviously nothing will likely ever touch Dallas and 90120 for the younger generation.

What shows on now be considered soaps? Once Upon A Time seems to be a given. Not sure about any others, even those I don't watch. Seems to be a forgotten genre.

davidh777 03-09-15 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12417151)
Even though I was just a baby at the time, I still know about the pop culture insanity the "Who shot JR.?" story line caused. I can't think of another example of the TV audience being that crazy about a show since. Maybe The M*A*S*H or The Sopranos finales but I don't think they even match the frenzied Summer people waited to find out the conclusion to the cliffhanger.

I think I even had a "Who shot JR?" T-shirt when I was little without even knowing what it was referencing. :lol:

I only watched one episode of Dallas in my lifetime and it was the damn JR reveal because of all the hype. :lol:

Originally Posted by Kdogg (Post 12416861)
Never watched Desperate Houses et al from the 90's

I watched Desperate Housewives and it probably had three really good seasons over its run. I hated myself for watching the last few but couldn't stop at that point.

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 12416869)
Dawson's Creek

It was the first of it's kind that spawned countless clones and launched the careers of many big stars. Surprisingly Vanderbeek ended up being the least famous of stars.

I first heard of DC from all the hype surrounding whatever music they played that week, then started watching it on DVD in time to catch the end of the run on the air. But yeah, after all these years Van Der Beek is playing himself. :lol:

wishbone 03-09-15 12:14 PM

Dallas, the Ewing family, Southfork Ranch -- even casual viewers were aware of how massive this show was back in the day.

Sean O'Hara 03-09-15 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 12416860)
Yeah, a friend of mine lives in Camden and she says tons of people come to their town because of Peyton Place to this very day.

I suspect that has as much to do with the novel and movie, though. The TV show is little more than a footnote after them.