DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   American Crime (ABC) -- S: Hutton, Huffman -- Season 1 Thread -- Starts 3/5/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625511-american-crime-abc-s-hutton-huffman-season-1-thread-starts-3-5-15-a.html)

DJariya 03-05-15 01:53 PM

American Crime (ABC) -- S: Hutton, Huffman -- Season 1 Thread -- Starts 3/5/15

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/En....ms.050814.jpg

SERIES PREMIERE

SOCIAL INJUSTICE STIRS UP TENSIONS IN A CALIFORNIA CITY AFTER A SHOCKING CRIME CHANGES THE LIVES OF ALL THOSE INVOLVED, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF ABC'S "AMERICAN CRIME," THURSDAY, MARCH 5

"Episode One" - Following the home invasion murder of Matt Skokie - a war vet - and an assault on his wife Gwen, four suspects are brought into custody: Tony Gutiérrez, an impressionable teen who got in way over his head even under the watchful eye of his dedicated and hard-working father, Alonzo Gutiérrez. Hector Tontz, a young man who has lived life on the fringes of society and has made bad decisions just to survive. Carter Nix and Aubry Taylor, two incredibly lost souls whose addiction to drugs and to one another has become destructive and paralyzing.

Though the suspects fit a profile, they and their situations are far more complicated than anyone would have initially believed... as is true for the victims themselves. As Russ and Barb Skokie - divorced and estranged - arrive to both bury their son Matt, and seek a measure of justice for his killing, they discover their son may have been far from an innocent bystander in his own murder. Told from the points of view of all those involved, this new drama examines preconceptions on faith, family, gender, race, class and other aspects of our social experience with an approach and perspectives historically underserved in media, on the series premiere of "American Crime," THURSDAY, MARCH 5 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"American Crime" stars Felicity Huffman as Barb Hanlon, Timothy Hutton as Russ Skokie, W. Earl Brown as Tom Carlin, Richard Cabral as Hector Tontz, Caitlin Gerard as Aubry Taylor, Benito Martinez as Alonzo Gutiérrez, Penelope Ann Miller as Eve Carlin, Elvis Nolasco as Carter Nix, Johnny Ortiz as Tony Gutiérrez and guest starring Regina King as Aliyah Shadeed.

Guest Starring Marlyne Barrett as Chris Thompson, Keith Bogart as Reporter and Gleendilys Inoa as Jenny Gutiérrez

The pilot entitled "Episode One" was written and directed by John Ridley.

11 episode season

The Pilot was written, produced and directed by John Ridley, who wrote "12 years a Slave." Ridley is also the showrunner.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0IT21Lzh8ug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rypro 525 03-05-15 01:57 PM

Re: American Crime (ABC) -- S: Hutton, Huffman -- Season 1 Thread -- Starts 3/5/15

is this a limited series or one where that can go like say True Detective (a different crime every season w diferent characters

DJariya 03-05-15 02:00 PM

Re: American Crime (ABC) -- S: Hutton, Huffman -- Season 1 Thread -- Starts 3/5/15

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 12414445)
is this a limited series or one where that can go like say True Detective (a different crime every season w diferent characters

I believe that is the intention. It would be an anthology series if it gets renewed.

OldBoy 03-05-15 03:53 PM

looking forward to this. a lot of positive buzz...

digidoh 03-05-15 04:15 PM

With Secrets and Lies, this makes two serial dramas on ABC that revolve around an innocent man (or men) accused/whodunnit murders.

DJariya 03-06-15 02:27 AM

:thumbsup: Wow, that was damn good. I actually stayed up pretty late to see it. I was pretty engrossed by it. Very dark and gritty. Almost felt like a cable drama. Some really good acting by Hutton, Martinez and even the 2 actors playing the meth heads. I liked how Felicity Huffman's character was a little neurotic and not the traditional cliched grieving Mom.

The black meth head (Carter) assaulting the drug dealer was a pretty brutal scene.

They threw in some interesting twists. I wasn't sure how all the characters were related, but I liked how they tied everything together. The different POV's worked well here.

Preview for next week looks intense. Looking forward to more.

uteotw 03-06-15 08:17 AM

Yeah I really like this too. VERY well done, superb acting. I'm in.

DJariya 03-07-15 08:14 AM

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/ame...inkId=12753356

95% on Rotton Tomatoes

mphtrilogy 03-07-15 11:46 AM

This was excellent, cable worthy show for sure..

I'm in

dek 03-07-15 01:59 PM

Not enough meth for Modesto.

writer106 03-08-15 10:18 PM

I watched the pilot earlier today. This is much better than Secrets and Lies, but I also like that show too.
This has better acting and has a gritty feel that reminds me a bit of The Wire.

DJariya 03-12-15 07:15 PM

IN THE HOURS AFTER THE HORRIFIC CRIME, SHOCK SLOWLY GIVES WAY TO THE HARSH REALITIES NOW IN FRONT OF THE VICTIMS AND ACCUSED, ON ABC'S "AMERICAN CRIME"

Lili Taylor ("Six Feet Under") Guest Stars

"Episode Two" - Thirty-six hours have passed and reality is starting to sink in for all sides. Barb and Russ must come face-to-face with the suspects, Carter and Aubry, for the first time at the arraignment hearing. For Aubry and Carter, the hearing is their first opportunity to see one another since being arrested. Elsewhere, Tony finds himself terrified and alone as he gets placed into juvenile detention. The gravity of the situation weighs heavy on his father, Alonzo. Hector's legal troubles are compounded when the investigators discover an existing warrant for his arrest in Mexico. With more unsettling facts being uncovered about Matt and Gwen, relations between Barb and Russ, and Tom and Eve grow increasingly strained as they disagree on where Matt's body should be buried, on "American Crime," THURSDAY, MARCH 12 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"American Crime" stars Felicity Huffman as Barb Hanlon, Timothy Hutton as Russ Skokie, W. Earl Brown as Tom Carlin, Richard Cabral as Hector Tontz, Caitlin Gerard as Aubry Taylor, Benito Martinez as Alonzo Gutiérrez, Penelope Ann Miller as Eve Carlin, Elvis Nolasco as Carter Nix, Johnny Ortiz as Tony Gutiérrez and guest starring Regina King as Aliyah Shadeed.

Guest starring Marlyne Barrett as Chris Thompson, Gleendilys Inoa as Jenny Gutiérrez, Lili Taylor as Nancy Straumberg, Brent Anderson as Palmer, Kelli Bland as Barista, Keith Bogart as Grell/Reporter, Dave Buckman as Richter, Michael Clossin as Judge Wilson, Jon Michael Davis as Detective Sanderson, David DeLao as George Fierro, Jesse DeLuna as Officer Connors, Michael Fischer as Wes, Amanda Garza as Clair, David Garza as Video Judge, Rey Herrera as Hayes, Bob Hess as Michael Taylor, Shane Jacobsen as Quinn, E. Jason Liebrecht as Scott, Sohail Lodhia as Cashier, Marcus M. Mauldin as Parsons, Grant Merritt as Matt Skokie, Nadine Mozon as Peggy, Julian Owen as Silk, Jennifer Sydney as Operator and Todd Terry as Jackson.

"Episode Two" was written and directed by John Ridley.

Episode 2 airs tonight. A little surprised that very few people here watched. This got rave reviews and is still sitting at 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/american-crime/s01/

DJariya 03-13-15 01:51 AM

:thumbsup: Excellent episode tonight. Really dark and character-driven.

Huffman, Hutton and even Benito Martinez are really good in this. The all around cast is solid.

I saw John Ridley wrote and directed this one as well. He's a really talented guy. I just recently saw 12 years a Slave and his writing in that movie was top notch.

That was an interesting reveal that the wife may have had a consensual sexual encounter with one of the attackers before she was assaulted.

uteotw 03-13-15 09:12 AM

Agree. This is one of the best network dramas to come along in quite some time. The acting is phenomenal across the board, and the characters are compelling and unique. Really really really good new show.

writer106 03-13-15 08:20 PM

I watched the second episode earlier. I like the twists and how the victims aren't saints. Barb continues to be very unlikable to the point, that I have a hard time sympathizing with her.

On a related note, I just found out that ABC ordered a pilot called L.A. Crime and if that that show makes to series, it is intended be another anthology type show.

zoomgirl 03-14-15 05:52 PM

This show is great. I wish I could binge watch it, surprised it's on regular tv. Perhaps they are catching on? Very well done.

DJariya 03-19-15 05:09 PM

Episode 3 is tonight

TENSIONS AND EMOTIONS RUN HIGH AS ALL FAMILIES INVOLVED ARE TASKED WITH DOING WHAT'S BEST FOR THEIR LOVED ONES, ON ABC'S "AMERICAN CRIME"

Regina King ("Southland") Guest Stars

"Episode Three" - Nearly a month after the arraignment of the accused, the emotional complications of all involved continue to deepen. Carter's sister Aliyah (Regina King), a devout Muslim, arrives to support her brother despite their strained relationship, and her stark disapproval of his involvement with Aubry. Simultaneously, Alonzo receives an update about Tony's case that sheds light on his family life which makes him question himself as a good father. Hector's troubles compound when he's recognized by a fellow gang member and his loyalty is tested. Barb continues her relentless fight for justice and works with Nancy Straumberg (Lili Taylor), who is the head of a Victim's Rights Group to try and get another hate crime charge added against Carter, on "American Crime," THURSDAY, MARCH 19 (10:00-11:00 p.m. ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Guest Starring Jesse Borrego as Oscar, Gleendily's Inoa as Jenny Gutiérrez, Julian Works as Edgar and Lili Taylor as Nancy Straumberg.

"Episode Three" was written by John Ridley and directed by Gloria Muzio.

Interesting, another Ridley scripted episode. I wonder if he wrote most or all 11 episodes.

So far, so good.

mhg83 03-19-15 05:14 PM

At first I thought this was about American Crime Story on FX :lol: too similar titles

DJariya 03-20-15 11:35 PM

Really surprised this hasn't caught on here. This is the kind of deep and dark drama that this forum normally thrives on.

Thought last night's episode was another solid one. Really liked Benito Martinez's work in the episode. You have to feel bad for Alonzo and how helpless he is. More details about Eve and Tom's daughter and her deep dark secrets, especially how she decided to carry on multiple affairs.

:lol: at seeing Jesse Borrego guest star in this. He's like the "Go to" Mexican actor in Hollywood. I remember seeing him years ago in Fame. He was also recently on From Dusk Til Dawn the series.

This is definitely a slow burn show, but I really like the character development. You don't get a chance to see that much on many network shows.

movieking 03-21-15 02:17 PM

Had no idea this started yet. I was interested in watching it, so I'll catch up. Thought that this might have been the show with Ryan Phillipe in it as well, looked similar...

dek 03-21-15 08:52 PM

If they wanted this Modesto accurate, there would be 20 or 30 meth heads swarming around the taco trucks.

Throwing Copper 03-22-15 04:35 PM

Just watched the first 2 episodes. Very good stuff.

But it is annoying with it going silent when they cuss. I guess even a 10 pm show on the big 4 has to censor itself. Uggh.

Geofferson 03-22-15 08:12 PM

Watched all 3 episodes today. Agreed this is pretty good. They assembled a solid cast for this and everyone is getting an opportunity to shine. Really excited to see where this goes.

stopgap 03-22-15 09:39 PM

I watched all three as well because of the comments in this thread.

I am in. Barb is driving me up the wall, but I assume that is the purpose.

DJariya 03-26-15 08:08 PM

Episode 4 is tonight

RUSS AND BARB'S YOUNGEST SON ARRIVES IN MODESTO JUST AS THEIR CASE AGAINST CARTER STARTS TO WEAKEN BASED ON LACK OF EVIDENCE, ON ABC'S "AMERICAN CRIME"

"Episode Four" - Russ and Barb's youngest son, Mark (guest star David Hoflin), arrives in Modesto in support of his estranged parents. At the same time, the families of both victims begin to lose control of their emotions as they hear that Carter's defense team has been granted a bail hearing due to new information. Carter's sister, Aliyah, makes it clear to Carter that he must follow her conditions and stay away from Aubry, whose parents pressure her to attend an NA meeting. Meanwhile, Tony is processed out of juvenile hall on a probationary release and into Alonzo's care, on "American Crime," THURSDAY, MARCH 26 (10:00-11:00 p.m. ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Guest Starring David Hoflin as Mark, Daniel Louis Rivas as Tejo, Julian Works as Edgar, Lili Taylor as Nancy Straumberg, Brent Anderson as Palmer, Ainsley Bailey as Diny, Barbara Chisholm as Judge Days, Lori Z. Codova as Kaylie, David DeLao as Fierro, Cedric Duplechain as Timothy Little, Vincent Fuentes as Lido, Garrett Graham as Brian Taylor, Bob Hess as Michael Taylor, Shelton Jolivette as Minister Yousef, Titos Menchaca as Dex, Joe Nemmers as Rick Soderbergh, Samson Pleasant as Evans, Nicholas Saenz as Devon, Jennifer Savidge as Ruth Taylor, Jennifer Sydney as Jessie, Emily Warfield as Lisa, Kathy Rose Center as Woman Customer and Grady McCardell as CO in Hallway.

"Episode Four" was written by Diana Son and directed by Joshua Marston.

writer106 03-26-15 09:59 PM

I watched episode three earlier today, I thought W. Earl Brown shined in that episode. Out of victims' parents, so far Tom and Russ come as sympathetic more than Barb and Eve.

Noonan 04-10-15 08:59 AM

Anyone still watching this? The story is really starting to pull me in. It has me wondering how it's going to turn out for all the characters.

DJariya 05-07-15 09:37 PM

http://deadline.com/2015/05/american...bc-1201422717/

Renewed for a 2nd season. If you're still sitting on episodes unwatched, watch it. It's a fantastic show.

Tonight is episode 10, next week is the season finale.

AUBRY'S PURPOSEFUL ACTION SUCCESSFULLY TURNS EVERYTHING ON ITS HEAD AND A WORN DOWN, EXHAUSTED BARB REACHES HER BREAKING POINT, ON ABC'S "AMERICAN CRIME"

"Episode Ten" - Revelations from Aubry's recent statements have far-reaching implications as new and damaging allegations against Matt Skokie's role in the incident come to light. This setback is finally one that from which Barb will be unable to recover, leaving Russ to pick up the fight. Carter is handed a new lease on life while Hector's prospects turn for the worst after Aubry's account renders his testimony regarding Carter and the murder weapon inconsequential. Hector's immediately deported and turned over to the Mexican authorities. Elsewhere, though Alonzo struggles to find character witnesses for Tony's upcoming hearing, his family unifies, on "American Crime," THURSDAY, MAY 7 (10:01-11:00 p.m. ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Guest Starring David Hoflin as Mark, Jesse Borrego as Oscar, Gleendilys Inoa as Jenny Gutiérrez, Gwendoline Yeo as Richelle, Brent Anderson as Palmer, Ricky Catter as Sanchez, Israel Bocanegra as Co Malloy, Matt Connelly as Mr. Hall, Mike Clossin as Judge Wilson, Darryl Cox as Evan Barry, Vanessa DeSilvio as Paredes, Cedric Duplechain as Timothy Little, Edgar Ivan Garcia as Carlos, Bob Hess as Michael Taylor, Shane Jacobsen as Detective Quinn, Linda Leonard as Lorietta, Joe Nemmers as Rick Soderbergh, Kattia Ortiz as Sibila Nunez, Hugo Perez as Robles, Kira Pozehl as Gwen Skokie, Jennifer Savidge as Ruth Taylor, Todd Terry as Jackson, Leticia Trejo as Esperanza and Vernon Tuck as Manny.

"Episode Ten" was written by Sonay Hoffman and directed by Millicent Shelton.

darkdaze73 05-07-15 11:03 PM

People are really missing out on a really(really) good show. Just got finished watching this weeks episode. Next weeks finale should be great.

MikahC 05-08-15 12:03 AM

The show has done a good job of being what it aimed to be -- a show about the criminal justice system and the various situations and people that participate in it. Various races and economic and racial backgrounds, parents with blind spots for their children, drugs, and more. It covered a lot of ground in 10 episodes.

darkdaze73 05-08-15 04:43 AM

I know I will probably get blasted for this, but I put this show(writing, acting, etc) on the same level of The Wire. Very compelling stuff here and extremely happy it's coming back for a 2nd season.

RichC2 05-08-15 07:46 AM

If ABC is smart, they'll have S1 on Netflix by the end of the summer.

writer106 05-10-15 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by darkdaze73 (Post 12475789)
I know I will probably get blasted for this, but I put this show(writing, acting, etc) on the same level of The Wire. Very compelling stuff here and extremely happy it's coming back for a 2nd season.

I agree with you, it is a lot like The Wire. I've been getting caught up on this show over the past few days. I'm glad it has been renewed for a second season.

John Ridley is a good EP and writer. Since this was announced as a anthology series, I'm curious to see what season 2 will be about or if cast members would return to play different roles in new story/setting.

DJariya 05-14-15 06:39 PM

Bump

Tonight is the season finale

ABC renewed this for a 2nd season

SEASON FINALE

LIVES ARE FOREVER CHANGED WITH TRAGIC ENDS AND HOPEFUL BEGINNINGS IN THE GRIPPING CONCLUSION OF ABC'S "AMERICAN CRIME"

"Episode Eleven" - In the provocative, heart stopping season finale, the criminal case comes to a shocking close for all those involved as we see each life forever altered by this incident. Charged with emotions and unexpected twists, certain journeys will end while others begin, on "American Crime," THURSDAY, MAY 14 (10:01-11:00 p.m. ET) on the ABC Television Network. Compelling touching

Guest Starring David Hoflin as Mark, Gleendilys Inoa as Jenny Gutiérrez, Gwendoline Yeo as Richelle, Brent Anderson as Palmer, Cedric Duplechain as Timothy Little, Kira Pozehl as Gwen Skokie, Jennifer Savidge as Ruth Taylor, Kattia Ortiz as Sibila Nunez, Bob Hess as Michael Taylor, Shane Jacobsen as Detective Quinn, Hugo Perez as Robles, Shelton Jolivette as Minister Yousef, Erika Erica as Nurse, Todd Upchurch as Pastor James Bennett, Michael Ocampo as Marcus, Lanell Pena as Principal Hegera, Dawn Erin as Jensen, Eduardo Renteria as Gonzolaes, Jorge Rodas as Reyes, Jorge Ordonez as Father Pena, Pablo Esparza as Judge Perez, Randy DeHoyos as Mexican Bailiff and Dan Silver as Modesto Police Officer.

"Episode Eleven" was written and directed by John Ridley.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/felicity...bc-1201427118/

Felicity Huffman and Timothy Hutton will return in season 2 and they will reportedly play new characters.

RoyalTea 05-14-15 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12481877)
Felicity Huffman and Timothy Hutton will return in season 2 and they will reportedly play new characters.

Huh?

I expected that this was going to be an anthology if it got picked up for a second season, but bringing back the same actors to play new characters? That sounds like a terrible idea.

DJariya 05-14-15 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 12481928)
Huh?

I expected that this was going to be an anthology if it got picked up for a second season, but bringing back the same actors to play new characters? That sounds like a terrible idea.

American Horror Story on FX does it. :shrug:

RoyalTea 05-14-15 08:13 PM

well, I'm glad I don't watch American Horror Story.

That just sounds confusing. It would be like casting Woody Harrelson to play Niles Crane in Fraiser.

DJariya 05-14-15 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 12481952)
well, I'm glad I don't watch American Horror Story.

That just sounds confusing. It would be like casting Woody Harrelson to play Niles Crane in Fraiser.

They're both solid actors and I'm cool with ABC bringing them back, but it wouldn't make much sense to bring back Barb and Russ into season 2. The story and setting will be different.

Jadzia 05-14-15 11:26 PM

Wow, that finale sure had a high body count. Haven't seen that many characters die in a finale since Six Feet Under.

MikahC 05-15-15 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 12481952)
well, I'm glad I don't watch American Horror Story. That just sounds confusing. It would be like casting Woody Harrelson to play Niles Crane in Fraiser.

As long as the actors can carry it off, it isn't confusing in the slightest.