DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   ‘The Expendables’ Event Series In Works At Fox With Sylvester Stallone Producing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625510-%91-expendables%92-event-series-works-fox-sylvester-stallone-producing.html)

DJariya 05-31-12 12:24 PM

Lionsgate considering developing The Expendables as TV Series

From Deadline:

Keep in mind, they are just Considering this. Nothing has been greenlit or signed. Also being considered as possible series are Step Up and Red.

Lionsgate is looking at converting several movies into TV series — including, I’m told, the 2010 action film about a team of mercenaries. It wasn’t on CEO Jon Feltheimer’s list this morning, though, when he briefly discussed synergy plans in a conference call with Wall Street analysts following the company’s release last night of its fiscal Q4 results. Feltheimer says he’s also considering making series from Red and Step Up, film franchises acquired with the recent purchase of Summit Entertainment. Speaking of the deal, Feltheimer noted that Lionsgate’s $500M term loan to fund it “will be paid down on schedule” and its debt will be “significantly reduced.” One of the main reasons for that, of course, is the huge success of The Hunger Games. Due to the timing of the release in March at the end of the studio’s fiscal Q4, about 90% of the profits have yet to be reported. That made Feltheimer confident enough to report that Lionsgate “will generate approximately $900 million in EBITDA over the next three years.”

Mike86 05-31-12 12:44 PM

Re: Lionsgate considering developing The Expendables as TV Series

I can't see this actually happening. They'd be lucky if one of the actual stars signed on but I bet it'd end up a bunch of no name actors. Plus the first movie was okay not fantastic. The second could be better but even so I don't think there's enough material for a series.

Geofferson 05-31-12 02:18 PM

^ Agree. I wouldn't consider this a strong choice for a TV series.

Matthew Chmiel 05-31-12 02:31 PM

You people disgust me with your lackluster imagination.

This show could do the same for washed up 80s and 90s television action stars like the film series did for washed up 80s and 90s movie stars.

Lorenzo Lamas. Adrian Paul. David Hasselhoff. Kevin Sorbo. Richard Grieco. Just think of all of the possibilities of other actors you can attract.

Don't tell me you wouldn't watch that, because you're a fucking liar if you say otherwise. Throw it on Cinemax before Strike Back or on Starz before Spartacus. Boom. Winning.

Fuck. Lionsgate needs to hire me as the showrunner.

islandclaws 05-31-12 02:35 PM

Could be good with the right (washed up) cast, but they'll undoubtedly do something stupid in terms of casting and it'll suck. It'll doubly suck if it isn't on a premium cable network.

Deftones 05-31-12 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 11253392)
I can't see this actually happening. They'd be lucky if one of the actual stars signed on but I bet it'd end up a bunch of no name actors. Plus the first movie was okay not fantastic. The second could be better but even so I don't think there's enough material for a series.

who gives a shit if it is no-name actors? Strike Back on Cinemax is fucking awesome with tons of action and violence. Do it right like that and it would be an awesome show.

Shannon Nutt 05-31-12 02:51 PM

Actually, I kind of like Matthew's idea of using old, washed-up TV actors. Someone get Lee Majors on the phone.

Superman07 05-31-12 03:03 PM

Don't forget The Transporter is being made into a tv series. Showtime I think?

DJariya 05-31-12 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 11253664)
Don't forget The Transporter is being made into a tv series. Showtime I think?

It's airing on Cinemax. Most likely in the Fall or Winter.

Dragon Tattoo 05-31-12 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 11253595)
Don't tell me you wouldn't watch that,

I woudn't. Sounds like a fucking abomination.

The first movie sucked and I'll only watch the second on VOD because of Schwarzenegger. This is a terrible idea.

Mike86 05-31-12 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 11253629)
who gives a shit if it is no-name actors? Strike Back on Cinemax is fucking awesome with tons of action and violence. Do it right like that and it would be an awesome show.

I guess for me personally I don't like the idea of basically just cashing in on the name value when it's likely not going to have anyone from the movies even in it. If they want to make an action series just make it it's own thing. It's not so much the idea of not having big name actors but just taking the name and expecting people to like it because it's got the same title. I hate when movies/shows do the cash in thing just for the sake of it because most of the time it just turns out shitty. The idea of bringing old action television stars is sort of interesting but I doubt that would actually be the case.

My Other Self 05-31-12 08:21 PM

This could only be viable if there was washed up 80s/90s TV actors, as previously mentioned.

I want Dennis Haskins in this to come capacity.

Troy Stiffler 06-01-12 08:40 AM

Are there any action shows out there right now? Like The A-Team was? Shows where the good guys help the people in need, and the drive into an abandoned warehouse and bust some ass for the last fifteen minutes.

Seems like all I see is those CSI and Law and Order type shows. Hollywood gave up on those kind of action movies, too. Maybe there's not a market anymore.

DRG 06-01-12 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 11253629)

I would guess that for the 95% of people, the only reason they gave a shit about The Expendables in first place was because of the 'former action star' hook. Take that concept away and you have just another action story. Not saying the show couldn't be as good (or even better, honestly) than the movie despite this, but why even bother basing it on The Expendables then?

Draven 06-01-12 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler (Post 11254591)
Are there any action shows out there right now? Like The A-Team was? Shows where the good guys help the people in need, and the drive into an abandoned warehouse and bust some ass for the last fifteen minutes.

Seems like all I see is those CSI and Law and Order type shows. Hollywood gave up on those kind of action movies, too. Maybe there's not a market anymore.

In all seriousness, Nikita totally fits that bill.

WallyOPD 06-01-12 02:13 PM

Burn Notice is along those lines.

DJariya 06-01-12 02:16 PM

Plus, Strike Back on Cinemax, which has Hard R-Rated material.

Mike86 06-01-12 02:30 PM

Burn Notice is the main one that comes to mind for me. Haven't seen Nikita or Strike Back but from their descriptions they sound like they'd be a similar sort of concept.

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 11255060)
I would guess that for the 95% of people, the only reason they gave a shit about The Expendables in first place was because of the 'former action star' hook. Take that concept away and you have just another action story. Not saying the show couldn't be as good (or even better, honestly) than the movie despite this, but why even bother basing it on The Expendables then?

This is a good answer to why I don't want to see a show based on The Expendables if it's going to have a bunch of no names in it. Just cashing in on the name is stupid when the concept of The Expendables was basically some of the biggest names in action movies teaming up. I think the only way this would work is like mentioned in this thread if they got some old television action stars to star in a series based upon The Expendables since it's pretty unlikely they'd get anyone from the films to star in it.

Matthew Chmiel 06-01-12 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 11255121)
Just cashing in on the name is stupid when the concept of The Expendables was basically some of the biggest names in action movies teaming up.

Not unless you team up the biggest names in action television! Did anyone read my post? Fuuuuuck.

And I'm all for Dennis Haskins being somehow involved.

Hey, hey, hey! NOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN HERE?

majorjoe23 06-01-12 06:49 PM

Doesnt that mean farting? If you combIne washed up tv actors with 15 minutes of flateuence... I probably still wouldn't watch.

Abob Teff 06-01-12 11:58 PM

Sylvester Stallone ... Barney Ross ... replaced with Corey Feldman
Jason Statham ... Lee Christmas ... replaced with Jaleel White
Jet Li ... Yin Yang ... replaced with ... Ke Huy Quan
Dolph Lundgren ... Gunnar Jensen ... replaced with Alf

Must have Soleil Moon-Frye and Alyssa Milano as the love-interests a special guest cameo by Neil Patrick Harris.

dex14 03-05-15 12:05 PM

‘The Expendables’ Event Series In Works At Fox With Sylvester Stallone Producing

EXCLUSIVE: TV action stars are getting The Expendables treatment as Sylvester Stallone’s hit feature franchise is heading to television. Fox is developing The Expendables, an event series based on the movies, with the franchise’s writer and star Stallone executive producing alongside the films’ producer Avi Lerner.

Writing/executive producing the TV adaptation are feature writing duo Greg Coolidge (Ride Along) & Kirk Ward and NCIS: LA executive producer/showrunner Shane Brennan. It is described as a fun action drama that unites iconic TV stars as a new team of highly-skilled heroes who are on a mission to stop a dangerous terrorist. The project hails from Lionsgate TV, whose feature sibling distributes The Expendables movies, and CBS TV Studios, where Brennan is under an overall deal. Also executive producing the potential event series, for which Fox has ordered a script, is Kevin King, long-time executive at Stallone’s Rogue Marble production company.

There is no cast attached or approached yet but the producers have plenty of beloved TV action stars to choose from: Walker Texas Ranger‘s Chuck Norris, who already is part of The Expendables feature franchise, 24‘s Kiefer Sutherland, Xena‘s Lucy Lawless, Alias‘ Jennifer Garner, A-Team‘s Mr. T and Strike Back‘s Sullivan Stapleton and Philip Winchester, just to name a few.

The Expendables is among the movie titles in the Lionsgate library that the company had been eying to mine for television for some time, with the idea for a potential Expendables series first floated back in 2012.

The first three movies in The Expendables franchisee have grossed almost $800 million in the worldwide boxoffice. A fourth and fifth installment as well as a female offshoot The Expendabelles are in various stages of development.

Coolidge & Ward, repped by Paradigm and managed by Jay Froberg of ROAR, were recently tapped to script Roadrunner, an action comedy that has Scott Eastwood and Trace Adkins attached to star.

NCIS veteran Brennan, repped by Paradigm and attorney Kevin Kelly, joined the mothership series the beginning of Season 4 in 2006, taking the reins as showrunner the following season. He created spinoff NCIS: LA and ran both series for two years before focusing his attention solely on NCIS: LA.
http://deadline.com/2015/03/expendab...ne-1201386545/

Navinabob 03-05-15 12:11 PM

Re: ‘The Expendables’ Event Series In Works At Fox With Sylvester Stallone Producing

Actually, I'm okay with this. We could get Adrian Paul, Lorenzo Lamas, Dirk Benedict and Kevin Sorbo all in one show.

robin2099 03-05-15 12:29 PM

Re: ‘The Expendables’ Event Series In Works At Fox With Sylvester Stallone Producing

I'm ok with this and think this could be fun. Most interesting thing would be how do they go about picking the actors?

stingermck 03-05-15 03:25 PM

‘The Expendables’ Event Series: Fox, Stallone Producing; TV Action Stars

EXCLUSIVE: TV action stars are getting The Expendables treatment as Sylvester Stallone’s hit feature franchise is heading to television. Fox is developing The Expendables, an event series based on the movies, with the franchise’s writer and star Stallone executive producing alongside the films’ producer Avi Lerner and NCIS veteran Shane Brennan who serves as showrunner.

Writing/executive producing the TV adaptation are feature writing duo Greg Coolidge (Ride Along) & Kirk Ward and Brennan. It is described as a fun action drama that unites iconic TV stars as a new team of highly-skilled heroes who are on a mission to stop a dangerous terrorist. The project hails from Lionsgate TV, whose feature sibling distributes The Expendables movies, CBS TV Studios, where Brennan is under an overall deal, and CBSTV-based Shane Brennan Prods. Also executive producing the potential event series, for which Fox has ordered a script, are Kevin King, long-time executive at Stallone’s Rogue Marble production company, and Shane Brennan Prods.’ Grant Anderson.

There is no cast attached or approached yet but the producers have plenty of beloved TV action stars to choose from: Walker Texas Ranger‘s Chuck Norris, who already is part of The Expendables feature franchise, 24‘s Kiefer Sutherland, Magnum P.I.’s Tom Selleck, Xena‘s Lucy Lawless, Quantum Leap‘s Scott Bakula, Alias‘ Jennifer Garner, A-Team‘s Mr. T and Strike Back‘s Sullivan Stapleton and Philip Winchester, just to name a few.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/expendab...ne-1201386545/
Well, like we have done 3 times before, what is the dream cast?

Selleck, Kiefer, Garner, for me. Hell throw in The 'Hoff also.