Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Americans (S3E06) - "Born Again" - 3/4/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-04-15, 09:05 AM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Episode 6 / Production #306 - "Born Again" (Airs March 4, 10:00 pm e/p) - Gabriel has surprising information. Elizabeth begins to take family matters into her own hands. Stan receives upsetting news from his past and turns to Sandra for support. Written by Tracey Scott Wilson; directed by Kevin Dowling.
Old 03-05-15, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: The Americans (S3E06) - "Born Again" - 3/4/15

Good episode. Not as bleak as the last one. Love Phillip using Paige's faith as a way to put off fucking Kimmie. That bit with Nina was pretty cold.

In case you were wondering, as I was, yes that FBI plane crash really did happen at that time.

On December 16, 1982, Special Agents Terry Burnett Hereford, Charles L. Ellington, Robert W. Conners, and Michael James Lunch were killed in a Bureau airplane accident near Montgomery, Ohio. The Agents were accompanying a bank fraud and embezzlement subject, Carl Henry Johnson, and an individual from the law firm representing Johnson to Cincinnati. They were attempting to locate $50,000 in embezzled money, which Johnson had hidden in that area. The plane, piloted by SAs Hereford and Conners, crashed on approach to Cincinnati's Lunken Airport near Montgomery, and all aboard were killed. There were indications the aircraft encountered altitude read-out problems, was flying at a low altitude, and hit some wires before it went down.
Old 03-05-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Praise Jesus. So handy when you need him in a pinch.
Old 03-05-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In real life, the actress who plays Kimmie is 21 years old.
Old 03-05-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
In real life, the actress who plays Kimmie is 21 years old.
thanks, I was wondering that, wow, she is a very young 21.

I wonder if they got permission from the families to reference that crash in some way…

I still don't quite get the Nina storyline, is she trying to save herself by spilling the beans on her cell mate? What beans did she spill exactly? I didn't catch that
Old 03-05-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
I wonder if they got permission from the families to reference that crash in some way…
Well, he talked about losing his friend "Dave" and there was nobody by that name who died in the crash.
I still don't quite get the Nina storyline, is she trying to save herself by spilling the beans on her cell mate? What beans did she spill exactly? I didn't catch that
I didn't totally get it either. They wanted Nina to get her cellmate to admit something about her Russian contact last episode (I forget what exactly), and then in this episode Nina got her to talk a little by sharing her stories of Stan and Oleg and got her cellmate to volunteer some of her own experiences in the process of "consoling" Nina.
Old 03-06-15, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Well, he talked about losing his friend "Dave" and there was nobody by that name who died in the crash.

I didn't totally get it either. They wanted Nina to get her cellmate to admit something about her Russian contact last episode (I forget what exactly), and then in this episode Nina got her to talk a little by sharing her stories of Stan and Oleg and got her cellmate to volunteer some of her own experiences in the process of "consoling" Nina.
it was something to do with admitting she dropped off a package somewhere for her boyfriend, which was why she was jailed in the first place. unless i got confused.
Old 03-06-15, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think a scene explaining Nina's betrayal better was probably cut for time.
Old 03-06-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I think a scene explaining Nina's betrayal better was probably cut for time.
I didn't think that they really needed to explain it that much. She's basically getting the cellmate to admit what she did in order to get out that jail.

If they really wanted to, they could have just cut out that scene with Beeman and his ex-wife. I still have no idea what the end game is there and they keep on showing us every week that Stan wishes he never split with his ex-wife.
Old 03-06-15, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's fairly apparent they are transitioning his ex-wife off the show and introducing Callie Thorne as his love interest. I guess they have that actress under contract and figure to give her a token scene now and then.
Old 03-06-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really thought the Stan-Sandra split was introduced as a plot device to put a little more physical separation between Stan and the Jennings. I expected Stan to move out and Sandra to keep the house. And a storyline involving Sandra seeing some suspicious activity next door that she doesn't pick up on as suspicious. Something that, if Sandra and Stan were still together, she'd tell Stan about and he'd immediately have a Hank-on-the-toilet moment from Breaking Bad, but she doesn't put two and two together and has no reason to tell Stan.
Old 03-06-15, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nina's cellmate essentially admitted to her to not only did she drop off the package, but that she was not acting on the order of the boyfriend.

I really hope they don't drag the revelation to Paige until the end of season, but it's starting to look that way.

It was pretty funny watching the two of them get high in the bedroom, as well as Phillip in his "Members Only" jacket...
Old 03-06-15, 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
If they really wanted to, they could have just cut out that scene with Beeman and his ex-wife. I still have no idea what the end game is there and they keep on showing us every week that Stan wishes he never split with his ex-wife.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
It's fairly apparent they are transitioning his ex-wife off the show and introducing Callie Thorne as his love interest. I guess they have that actress under contract and figure to give her a token scene now and then.
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
I really thought the Stan-Sandra split was introduced as a plot device to put a little more physical separation between Stan and the Jennings.
Keeping Sandra around is a bit puzzling although the theories posted above make sense. Or maybe they're just keeping her around as a future love interest for Henry.

It does flesh out Stan's character a little bit re: how he feels now that he's lost both Nina & Sandra. Would be interesting if Sandra somehow got used as a pawn (or used to threaten Stan) by the KGB.

Has the possibility that Stan's new flame is a KGB plant been discussed?
Old 03-06-15, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Has the possibility that Stan's new flame is a KGB plant been discussed?
Not that this show always makes a ton of sense anyway, but is Stan so important an FBI agent that he manages to have undercover KGB agents as both his best friend and his girlfriend, as well as having a Soviet double agent as his mistress? Seems a little excessive.
Old 03-06-15, 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Not that this show always makes a ton of sense anyway, but is Stan so important an FBI agent that he manages to have undercover KGB agents as both his best friend and his girlfriend, as well as having a Soviet double agent as his mistress? Seems a little excessive.
What can you say? Stan's a spy magnet.

Next we'll learn that the EST leader is actually a Mossad agent.
Old 03-07-15, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~ View Post
Nina's cellmate essentially admitted to her to not only did she drop off the package, but that she was not acting on the order of the boyfriend.

I really hope they don't drag the revelation to Paige until the end of season, but it's starting to look that way.

It was pretty funny watching the two of them get high in the bedroom, as well as Phillip in his "Members Only" jacket...

Yep she pretty much admitted to Nina she knew what she was doing. Which is all Nina needed.

I dont think they will end up telling Paige.
Old 03-07-15, 10:28 AM
Banned

The prayer scene between Phillip & Kimmy was really interesting. In addition to demonstrating Phillip's quick thinking once again in mimicking the prayer of Paige's pastor, it seemed to underscore Phillip's reservations about so blatantly manipulating the emotions of someone the same age as his daughter.

He seemed quite taken aback when Kimmy reached for his hands and prayed for his non-existent family. Not that he had any qualms about using religion...it just seemed that he was feeling guilty about the depth of deception with Kimmy and the knowledge of how deeply she feels about him.

Anybody else get that reaction?
Old 03-07-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Absolutely.

Phillip is one of the most complex tv characters in a long time. It's not flashing, so people don't talk a lot about that.
Old 03-07-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think he sees his daughter in Kimmy and doesn't want to hurt her. It's going to be very difficult for this show to pull off Paige credibly transitioning to being a Soviet spy. I have to believe the real USSR would never force sleeper agents to turn their children, there are just so many unpredictable risks with children discovering their secret.

If Paige rebels in horror at the discovery, it could bring down both Phillip and Elizabeth as spies. She has already formed her self identity by that age and would almost certainly view herself as American.
Old 03-07-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She is an American since being born there. For Phillip and Elizabeth it is OK to go against the US since it isn't their country. For Paige, she would be a traitor to spy against the US since it is her country.
Old 03-07-15, 06:54 PM
Banned

Good points. I know that spymasters run turncoats through honey traps, extortion, using revenge as a motivation, spinning malcontents, etc. (or they do in John Le Carre novels). But I'd imagine that, without some exterior motivation, Paige would be far more likely to turn them in than to work for the Soviets.

And she'd have to be a low-level agent even if they could convincingly turn her. Look at the years of training back in the USSR that were required to get them ready.
Old 03-07-15, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Good points. I know that spymasters run turncoats through honey traps, extortion, using revenge as a motivation, spinning malcontents, etc. (or they do in John Le Carre novels). But I'd imagine that, without some exterior motivation, Paige would be far more likely to turn them in than to work for the Soviets.

And she'd have to be a low-level agent even if they could convincingly turn her. Look at the years of training back in the USSR that were required to get them ready.
please god, don't send Paige to a sad soviet sex room of tears.
Old 03-08-15, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm starting to lose interest in the show - just feels like it's stalled out, with no real momentum, not going anywhere.
Old 03-08-15, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I'm starting to lose interest in the show - just feels like it's stalled out, with no real momentum, not going anywhere.
I know what you mean. I'm still enjoying it but the quality of the show hasnt lived up to the first season. In that season the FBI were a legit threat to Elizabeth and Philip. Now they pretty much run around doing whatever they want with zero opposition.
Old 03-08-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
She is an American since being born there. For Phillip and Elizabeth it is OK to go against the US since it isn't their country. For Paige, she would be a traitor to spy against the US since it is her country.
Being an American doesn't mean anything. Remember Elizabeth's lover. And of course we have several real life examples. You just need to do the right brain washing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.