DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Better Call Saul (S1E05) -- "Alpine Shepherd Boy" -- 3/2/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625428-better-call-saul-s1e05-alpine-shepherd-boy-3-2-15-a.html)

DJariya 03-02-15 01:00 PM

Better Call Saul (S1E05) -- "Alpine Shepherd Boy" -- 3/2/15

http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2015/02/2...ad0c6_624w.jpg

http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2015/02/2...ddbf4_624w.jpg

When his efforts to drum up new business are interrupted by alarming news, Jimmy is pressured to make a difficult choice.

Written by: Bradley Paul

Directed by: Nicole Kassell

Episode 5 of 10

Geofferson 03-02-15 01:49 PM

Re: Better Call Saul (S1E05) -- "Alpine Shepherd Boy" -- 3/2/15

Can't believe the season's half over after tonight. :(

Crocker Jarmen 03-02-15 05:49 PM

Can't believe I keep forgetting this in on Monday and not Sunday. Ten minutes ago I was screaming at the DVR for not recording the show last night.

astrochimp 03-02-15 09:13 PM

That money :lol:

DthRdrX 03-02-15 10:09 PM

The money scene was funny as hell. We are finally getting Mike's back story!

anomynous 03-02-15 10:14 PM

Dat toilet

Mike86 03-02-15 11:17 PM

I love this series. This episode had a lot of funnier moments with Ricky the rich guy who wanted to secede from the US, Roland the sex toilet guy, the old lady drafting her will for all her ceramic figurines, and the end scene with Jimmy making the rounds at the nursing home and giving out jello with his ad on the bottom :lol:

Also I thought this was the first episode where Chuck was interesting as he had a bit of a story in tonight's episode. I like the interaction between Jimmy and Kim quite a bit too.

Curious about the ending and who the girl was.
Spoiler:
I thought it was his daughter at first but the preview for next week's episode make it sound like the cops that showed up at Mike's house are looking for someone who killed Mike's son. So maybe the girl is his daughter-in-law.
I know Odenkirk said to wait and see what happens in episode six so I'm guessing something big next week. Can't wait to find out what happens next!!

kstublen 03-02-15 11:33 PM

Another great episode. I think this show has really benefitted from Breaking Bad in that they aren't really having to find their footing. We're getting fresh takes on familiar faces and more well-developed backgrounds, but it probably helped them hit the ground running that they've sort of been here in this universe before. This has become must-see TV for me just like Breaking Bad. But it's not a rehash at all and has its own unique vision that is still consistent with the show which came before it; not an easy feat to achieve.

One of the things I'm enjoying the most is seeing Saul in a different light. On Breaking Bad he was a full on criminal (and I don't mean the staged personal injury type of crime). Here though, he hasn't quite crossed into that realm that one might call his professional version of "breaking bad" just yet. I love watching the struggle he faces between making his brother proud by doing the job the right way and looking for the shortcuts. We see glimpses of him trying to drum up business and earn money legally, but there's this bigger part of him that just doesn't seem satisfied putting in the time necessary to do it the right way. I don't know what people usually charge to draw up a will, but $140 didn't seem unreasonable and it was sort of touching to see him so happy to receive that money. Sort of confirms to me that there's no way he took the money from the family in the woods if he's that hard up for cash.

I'm also enjoying the teases we've been getting with Mike. It's never been too much and I'm really looking forward to seeing his character develop further as well. Odnkirk and Banks really do have great chemistry.

This show's also hitting just the right combination of comedy, drama, and suspense. Loved the scenes with the million dollars (and Saul thinking he was going to actually be handed a million in cash) and the progressively more sexual responses from the toilet. Also got a kick out of him dressing like Matlock before he went to the old folks home. He's a schmoozer, that's for sure.

Saul: "So give me a call...if you happen to know any elders." :lol:

Decker 03-03-15 01:05 AM

"Let me guess : You're reading The Rules of Parking Validation"
"Nope. The rules of parking validation are pretty simple. Most folks get it on the first time."

:lol:

Yeah, this was my lest favorite episode of the first five, and it was still pretty good. Can't wait to see Episode Six after Odenkirk teased it a bit in that podcast.

musick 03-03-15 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 12411772)
Another great episode. I think this show has really benefitted from Breaking Bad in that they aren't really having to find their footing. We're getting fresh takes on familiar faces and more well-developed backgrounds, but it probably helped them hit the ground running that they've sort of been here in this universe before. This has become must-see TV for me just like Breaking Bad. But it's not a rehash at all and has its own unique vision that is still consistent with the show which came before it; not an easy feat to achieve.

indeed

johnnysd 03-03-15 10:13 AM

The very beginning with the pan to the window and the cops showing up was very Breaking Bad-y. Really loved this episode, maybe more than the others. Seemed to really find the exact right voice for the show. All the characters have surprising depth, and the scenes with the brother are paying off. Pretty ballsy to be 5 episodes in and still not have him be Saul. Oh, and to the person that said he was a full on criminal in BB, we only saw the "special services" side of Saul, not his normal clientele.

Mike86 03-03-15 10:34 AM

Yeah I'm actually surprised to read someone say this was their least favorite episode. The series has been getting stronger as its been going in my opinion and I'd say last night's episode and Hero are tied as my favorites thus far.

TerryW 03-03-15 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 12411772)
I don't know what people usually charge to draw up a will, but $140 didn't seem unreasonable and it was sort of touching to see him so happy to receive that money. Sort of confirms to me that there's no way he took the money from the family in the woods if he's that hard up for cash.

They showed him counting the money and then justifying it as a business expense.

RoyalTea 03-03-15 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by TerryW (Post 12411990)
They showed him counting the money and then justifying it as a business expense.

And I don't know how much a billboard costs, but that and the expensive suit probably used up most of the bribe money.

HN 03-03-15 11:02 AM

Odenkirk's quivering face when the first client said he wanted to secede from the union :lol:

RoyalTea 03-03-15 11:30 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/51hS_iOLu5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJariya 03-03-15 12:44 PM

:lol: The money scene was hilarious. Loved Jimmy's reaction to the "$500K" upfront payment.

I liked this episode a lot seeing how Jimmy was trying to recruit clients.

:lol: at the toilet scene.

I wonder what the deal was with Mike and the Police at the end.

Show is 5 for 5. Interesting that this episode was written by someone with no previous affiliation with Breaking Bad.

HN 03-03-15 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12412132)
I wonder what the deal was with Mike and the Police at the end.

I'm thinking Mike's gonna need a lawyer soon.

oh, has the red/hot colors = 'bad'; blue/cool colors = 'good' theory caught on around here? I was following the jello cups to see who would get which color but that was just a setup for jimmy's ad :lol:

Mike's house was half blue / half red.

(Peter Gould's tweet on the color coding -- https://twitter.com/petergould/statu...55433001369600 )

RoyalTea 03-03-15 01:41 PM

episode 1: Uno
episode 2: Mijo
episode 3: Nacho
episode 4: Hero
episode 5: <strike>Jell-O</strike> Alpine Shepherd Boy

on the insider podcast, they said this episode was supposed to be called Jell-O, but they couldn't call it that because Jell-O is trademarked. They couldn't think of any other word ending in "-o" to keep the streak alive?

I would have called it "loco" (Spanish for crazy), since it was confirmed that Chuck's illness is purely psychosomatic and there was talk about having him involuntarily committed.

stopgap 03-03-15 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 12412215)

on the insider podcast, they said this episode was supposed to be called Jell-O, but they couldn't call it that because Jell-O is trademarked. They couldn't think of any other word ending in "-o" to keep the streak alive?

I would have called it "loco" (Spanish for crazy), since it was confirmed that Chuck's illness is purely psychosomatic and there was talk about having him involuntarily committed.

Nice find. Im also in the camp that think it's all in Chuck's head.

Space Ape Mafia 03-03-15 02:07 PM

Well they confirmed it with the hospital bed

musick 03-03-15 02:49 PM

that's great .... haven't listened to any, but I hope those podcasts/interviews are included on a home video release

so I assume the next episode's title will not end in "o" :D

RoyalTea 03-03-15 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by musick (Post 12412299)
so I assume the next episode's title will not end in "o" :D

according to imdb

Spoiler:
6. Five-O
7. Bingo
8. Rico
9. Pimento
10. Marco

dhmac 03-03-15 05:37 PM

And the guy who wants to secede from the U.S. which is arguably even more crazy (loco) than Chuck.

astrochimp 03-03-15 05:42 PM

Such a great episode. Loved Saul's potential customers :lol:

Really enjoyed the Chuck stuff too.