Reload this Page >

The Following (S3E01) -- "New Blood" -- 3/2/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-02-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

A NEW FOLLOWING RISES ON THE SEASON PREMIERE OF"THE FOLLOWING" MONDAY, MARCH 2, ON FOX

With Joe Carroll awaiting execution on death row and all signs of his following erased, Ryan Hardy has moved on from the dark events of his past. But his newfound happiness is shattered when a series of brutally staged tableaus threatens to tear open old wounds. Ryan and his team are forced to unravel a twisted web of violence before it destroys them all - leading them to face a terrifying truth: Joe Carroll was just the beginning in the all-new "New Blood" Season Premiere episode of THE FOLLOWING airing Monday, March 2 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FOL-301) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Cast: Kevin Bacon as Ryan Hardy; James Purefoy as Joe Carroll; Shawn Ashmore as Agent Mike Weston; Jessica Stroup as Max Hardy; Sam Underwood as Mark; Zuleikha Robinson as Gwen

Expected to be a 15 episode season

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HlChaLk5dDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-02-15, 01:11 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: The Following (S3E01) -- "New Blood" -- 3/2/15

Oh wow... the niece is still alive, huh? I bailed after 2 episodes of last season. Shocked to see that.
Old 03-02-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Oh wow... the niece is still alive, huh? I bailed after 2 episodes of last season. Shocked to see that.
It's a new story arc this season. You could try to jump in again if you have the time. Yes, Max survived, but whether she makes it this season is a different story.
Old 03-02-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't remember how it ended last season.

Mike killed Lily... I think one of the twins is dead and one is still alive... Can't remember what happened to Joe, if he got away, was captured, or killed. Don't remember if Joe's ex is still alive or not.
Old 03-02-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I can't remember how it ended last season.

Mike killed Lily... I think one of the twins is dead and one is still alive... Can't remember what happened to Joe, if he got away, was captured, or killed. Don't remember if Joe's ex is still alive or not.

Joe got arrested. Claire is still alive and dumped Ryan and said she was leaving and moving on with her life.

One of the twins is still alive and he was picked up by some mystery driver.
Old 03-02-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I was shocked she turned out to be one of the good guys/girls. I had her pegged for betraying Ryan all season long.

I'm guessing this might be the LAST season for THE FOLLOWING. I think the only reason it hung on was FOX was desperate for solid dramas, but they've added a few to the list (particularly GOTHAM), so they don't need this series like they used to. I also suspect ratings will be in the toilet this season.
Old 03-02-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://deadline.com/2014/08/the-foll...unners-826756/

Also, Kevin Williamson left as showrunner after season 2, although his actual involvement with season 2 was minimal.

They promoted 2 staff writers and the lead director to be the showrunners for season 3.
Old 03-02-15, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Calling it now. Ryan' gf is in on it and is one of them. Interesting soft reboot.
Old 03-03-15, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Calling it now. Ryan' gf is in on it and is one of them. Interesting soft reboot.
I think it is Max's bf. I mean how is she and Mike supposed to get back together if he is a good guy.
Old 03-03-15, 07:32 AM

I continue to watch this show but I haven't been really into it the way I was in season 1. Lots of people criticized that season, but I thought it was great! Season 2 was just bad. I have no idea why the showrunners thought it was a good idea to make this show less violent. It's a show about serial killers. That's about as insane as it gets, and there's no need to tone down on the violence and darkness. I think ratings reflected this change as well. Season 1 ratings were high and pretty much stayed that way until the end. Season 2 dropped significantly. If it ain't broke, why try and fix it?
Old 03-03-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Frederic View Post
I have no idea why the showrunners thought it was a good idea to make this show less violent. It's a show about serial killers.
One of the overarching memes in Hollywood is "need more female viewers". Shows are frequently retooled in an attempt to satisfy this perceived need.
Old 03-03-15, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a premiere, last night's episode wasn't all that bad. It probably didn't hurt that my expectations were quite tempered.

I'm not terribly impressed with the new trio of killers, though the episode was staged well. (pun intended)
Old 03-03-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dalbowski View Post
I think it is Max's bf. I mean how is she and Mike supposed to get back together if he is a good guy.
Bacon's girlfriend is in on it, too. She does work in a hospital. Maybe she likes to slice people up outside of work, too. I dunno.
Old 03-03-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Decent start.

Surprised that Purefoy was in the opening credits, but didn't actually appear in the episode except in photographs. I'm curious to see what Joe's role is this season if any.

Like Frederic, I also loved season 1 and how crazy over the top and violent it is. But, I think the show's tone changed when they stopped making Ryan Hardy a loner and alcoholic and gave him somewhat of a normal existence beginning with season 2.

Little unclear on the overall motives of Michael Irby's character and the couple and if they're just killing on their own or continuing the work of Joe. I already know that Luke is a psychopath.
Old 03-03-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by randian View Post
One of the overarching memes in Hollywood is "need more female viewers". Shows are frequently retooled in an attempt to satisfy this perceived need.
There is probably some truth in your observation. Certain networks will meddle with a show if they aren't pulling solid numbers in the female demo.

As someone that thought season two was better paced and more well conceived than season one's non-stop cliffhanger formula, I was disappointed by this opening episode for season three. It felt different and I didn't get any sense of urgency in the plot.

I also think the twin's personality switching or whatever mental thing he was suffering will grow very tedious if they continue it all season. I was already tired of it by the end of the episode.
Old 03-06-15, 09:46 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't take it anymore, I'm out.
Old 03-08-15, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Decent start.

Surprised that Purefoy was in the opening credits, but didn't actually appear in the episode except in photographs. I'm curious to see what Joe's role is this season if any.
I have a feeling Joe will be used like Hannibal Lecter was used in Silence Of The Lambs. Ryan will eventually have to visit Joe and get his help in catching whoever the main killer will be.