DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Once Upon a Time (S4E12) -- "Darkness on the Edge of Town" -- 3/1/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625413-once-upon-time-s4e12-darkness-edge-town-3-1-15-a.html)

DJariya 03-01-15 01:27 AM

Once Upon a Time (S4E12) -- "Darkness on the Edge of Town" -- 3/1/15

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...5260484776f1ef

GOLD REUNITES THE QUEENS OF DARKENESS ON THE SPRING PREMIERE OF ABC'S "ONCE UPON A TIME"

Kristin Bauer van Straten ("True Blood"), Merrin Dungey ("Revenge"), Victoria Smurfit ("Dracula") Guest Star

"Darkness on the Edge of Town" - With Gold banished from town, the residents of Storybrooke attempt to resume their normal lives. Hook and Belle search for a way to release the fairies from the Sorcerer's hat, while Emma, Henry and Regina continue to look for clues that could lead them to the Author. But when a terrifying darkness descends on the town, Emma and Regina are forced to confront the true nature of evil. Meanwhile, in New York, Gold and Ursula enlist Cruella De Vil to join their cause, on "Once Upon a Time," SUNDAY, MARCH 1 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Once Upon a Time" stars Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White/Mary Margaret, Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan, Lana Parrilla as the Evil Queen/Regina, Josh Dallas as Prince Charming/David Nolan, Emilie de Ravin as Belle, Colin O'Donoghue as Hook, Jared S. Gilmore as Henry, Michael Socha as Will Scarlet and Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold.

Guest stars include Keegan Connor Tracy as Mother Superior, Beverley Elliott as Granny, Merrin Dungey as Ursula, Victoria Smurfit as Cruella De Vil, Michael Querin as Banker, Panou as FBI Agent and Kristin Bauer van Straten as Maleficent,

"Darkness on the Edge of Town" was written by Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz and directed by Jon Amiel.

Episode 12 of 23

Back after being off the air for almost 3 months.

RocShemp 03-01-15 06:14 AM

Re: Once Upon a Time (S4E12) -- "Darkness on the Edge of Town" -- 3/1/15

Wait, this doesn't count as a separate season? I didn't realize the Frozen storyline was only 11 episodes.

Either way, looking forward to catching this on Hulu tomorrow.

Xiroteus 03-02-15 11:02 PM

I really do not mind this format, two stories for one season with a break in the middle be it a long one. It really does feel like a new season with a three month break.

dolphinboy 03-03-15 12:41 AM

Had high hopes with Frozen but I thought they made a confusing mess of it. This episode actually was engaging and hopefully this storyline will be a lot better.

PhantomStranger 03-03-15 08:24 PM

I loved the Frozen storyline, I wish those characters had stuck around. This show does flow much better these days, the writing has gotten much tighter.

I could take or leave the other two villainesses, but the actress cast for Cruella De Vil looks perfect for the role. After Jolie, I guess they were never going to find a good replacement for Maleficent.

RocShemp 03-03-15 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12412626)
but the actress cast for Cruella De Vil looks perfect for the role.

I adored her in the recently cancelled Dracula.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12412626)
After Jolie, I guess they were never going to find a good replacement for Maleficent.

Actually, that's the same actress they used as Maleficent since season 1. I'm glad they kept her. However, I hate that they redesigned her look to match the cartoon and Jolie movie (mainly because of the latter, I'm sure).

PhantomStranger 03-03-15 11:45 PM

I didn't even recognize her from Dracula.:lol: The hair and make-up people did good work on her.

hdnmickey 03-05-15 10:05 AM

Overall I already like this half better than anything they did related to Frozen. Such a waste of half a season. The only issue I have so far is that the Ursula and Cruella actresses do a really bad job of hamming it up in the flashbacks. But both are awesome when they tone if down for the current time line. Seems that since most fans like it when Rumple hams it up in the flashbacks, all the villains should do it. Ummmm, no.... Unless your name is Robert Carlyle, please stop.

Giantrobo 03-05-15 03:06 PM

Chernabog's CGI was cheesy, as was Ursula's tentacles, and those bugs that Cruella controlled.

DC is truly kicking Marvel/Disney's ass in terms of TV show SFX.

hdnmickey 03-05-15 04:57 PM

I thought the Chernabog looked fine considering. It's the tentacles and other effects that looked terrible. Almost like the Chernabog was done by another effects group.

In S1 the SFX looked quite good. Went way down hill when Once Upon A Tim in Wonderland was on at the same time.

RocShemp 03-05-15 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12414656)
way down hill when Once Upon A Tim in Wonderland was on at the same time.

You should revisit S1. The SFX work on this show has always been low rent.

Even the wardrobe department didn't hide where they'd cut corners. I always found it hilarious to see obvious zippers in the medieval wardrobe.

This show has always been done on the cheap. It's just glaringly obvious compared to more recent shows.

hdnmickey 03-05-15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 12414837)
You should revisit S1. The SFX work on this show has always been low rent.

I have. We just disagree. When I think of low rent I think of the shots they have on shows like NCIS. OUAT has never been top tier, but I don't consider it low rent either.

Maybe I'm the only one that noticed but there was a change in quality when Wonderland started. Re-watched and confirmed (I have the BD's) because I wanted to satisfy myself in thinking that. Like the Chernabog it seemed that after the change, on both Wonderland and the original, that some shots would be better than others when before it seemed more consistent. Wouldn't surprise me if different people, or groups, did different scenes even within the same episode.

PhantomStranger 03-06-15 02:13 AM

This show has always had terribly cheap-looking greenscreen shots. I get the feeling they skimp on VFX to have a bigger ensemble cast.