Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Secrets and Lies (ABC) -- S: Lewis & Phillippe -- Season 1 Thread -- Starts 3/1/15

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Secrets and Lies (ABC) -- S: Lewis & Phillippe -- Season 1 Thread -- Starts 3/1/15

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-15, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

RYAN PHILLIPPE AND JULIETTE LEWIS STAR IN ABC'S EXPLOSIVE NEW DRAMA "SECRETS AND LIES," WHICH PREMIERES, SUNDAY, MARCH 1

"Secrets and Lies" Features a Two-Hour Series Premiere Beginning at 9:00 p.m., ET

Ryan Phillippe portrays Ben Crawford, a handsome and decent family man, who will never be the same after he discovers the body of his neighbor's young son in the woods. Even as Detective Andrea Cornell, played by Juliette Lewis, digs for the truth in her investigation and pegs Ben as a "person of interest," the case unfolds from Ben's unique perspective -- whether he is guilty or not. In trying to clear his name, it is Ben who peels back the layers of these suburbanites' lives in their quiet cul de sac, revealing their dirty little deceptions and all-too-crowded closets overflowing with skeletons in this 10-episode thrilling who-done-it.

In the first hour, in the pilot entitled "The Trail," Ben is out for his usual morning jog when he comes upon the body of young Tom Murphy. After the news begins to spread throughout town, Detective Cornell, who's been assigned to the case, pays Ben a visit for routine questioning. In the blink of an eye, Ben quickly turns from Good Samaritan to murder suspect. As the formidable detective searches for the facts, the media hone in on Ben and his family, and he struggles to escape from the pressure. From that point on, Ben's life is turned upside down as he sets out on a complicated journey to prove his innocence, on the two-hour premiere of "Secrets and Lies," SUNDAY, MARCH 1 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

In the second hour, in the episode entitled "The Father," Ben decides to take matters into his own hands by investigating those that were closest to Tom after receiving shocking information about the case from Detective Cornell. Jess, Tom's mother, propels Ben in the direction of her estranged husband, Scott, who she believes may be his killer. At home, Ben's family continues to drift apart when he overhears his oldest daughter, Natalie, on a suspicious phone call. Later, the family attends Tom's funeral where the media continues to harass Ben and he is the focus of excruciating attention by the community. When the Crawford family returns home, one of Ben's dark secrets is revealed in stunning fashion.

Is Ben innocent or guilty? He is fighting to keep his marriage, kids, job and reputation, and he is barely clinging to his sanity. As the investigation progresses, the close knit community starts to come apart at the seams, unraveling until the jaw-dropping conclusion.

"Secrets and Lies" stars Ryan Phillippe as Ben Crawford, Juliette Lewis as Detective Cornell, KaDee Strickland as Christy Crawford, Natalie Martinez as Jess Murphy, Dan Fogler as Dave Lindsey, Indiana Evans as Natalie Crawford and Belle Shouse as Abby Crawford.

Guest stars in "The Trail" include Melissa Gilbert as Lisa Daly, GregAlan Williams as Kevin Williams, Denise Dowse as Elaine Williams, Kate Ashfield as Vanessa Richardson, Steven Brand as Dr. Joseph Richardson and Eric Lange as Danny Pierce.

Guest stars in "The Father" include Melissa Gilbert as Lisa Daly, GregAlan Williams as Kevin Williams, Denise Dowse as Elaine Williams, Kate Ashfield as Vanessa Richardson, Steven Brand as Dr. Joseph Richardson, Benjamin Ciaramello as Scott Murphy, Tad Cooley as Matt Daly, Eric Lange as Danny Pierce, Meaghan Rath as Nicole and Timothy Busfield as John Garner.

"The Trail" was written by Barbie Kligman and directed by Charles McDougall. "The Father" was written by Barbie Kligman and directed by Timothy Busfield. Executive producers for the series are Barbie Kligman for Avenue K Productions, Aaron Kaplan for Kapital Entertainment, Tracey Robertson and Nathan Mayfield for Hoodlum Entertainment and Timothy Busfield. "Secrets and Lies" is a production of ABC Studios.

10 episodes ordered.

2 hour premiere on Sunday night. This is based on an Australian series with the same name that starred Martin Henderson

Don't know how many of you have the time to check this out. There is already too much to watch on Sunday night. I plan to watch this, but may not get to it right away.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OJ4RBJcN1gs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-01-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Secrets and Lies (ABC) -- S: Lewis & Phillippe -- Season 1 Thread -- Starts 3/1/1

Have I ever said how much I dislike these two-hour premieres? I understand the network wants to position it as a movie event for greater interest but the episodes almost certainly weren't made with that in mind.
Old 03-01-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Secrets and Lies (ABC) -- S: Lewis & Phillippe -- Season 1 Thread -- Starts 3/1/1

I'll DVR it.
Old 03-01-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm DVRing it. From the previews, I get the feeling Juliette Lewis is going to be a villain. I'll probably check out the Australian version later on.
Old 03-01-15, 09:28 PM

I think this looks like a pretty good series. But, I think I have it figured out already. The boy who was killed is Ben's from an affair with his neighbor....so, I think his wife was angry enough to kill the boy. It's usually who you'd least expect. I'll be tuning in to see if she did it.
Old 03-01-15, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by godfreygirl143
I think this looks like a pretty good series. But, I think I have it figured out already. The boy who was killed is Ben's from an affair with his neighbor....so, I think his wife was angry enough to kill the boy. It's usually who you'd least expect. I'll be tuning in to see if she did it.
I'm watching it now and into the second hour. I'm thinking the same thing as you.
Old 03-01-15, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Please stop posting in purple or any other color.
Old 03-02-15, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I made it through the first episode. That was such an obvious twist I was surprised they played it off as some kind of shocking reveal. The first hour was dull, I can see why ABC wanted two episodes right off the bat.

I've never thought much of Ryan Phillippe's acting skills and this only confirmed my impression once again. I don't think Secrets and Lies is my cup of tea.
Old 03-02-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Have I ever said how much I dislike these two-hour premieres? I understand the network wants to position it as a movie event for greater interest but the episodes almost certainly weren't made with that in mind.
I hate them too, because I am much more likely to watch an hour-long show than a two-hour show off my DVR. Sitting down to watch something for 2 hours is much more if a commitment. Whenever a new show begins with a 2-hour premiere, I usually don't watch it right away and sometimes 2 or 2 more episodes air before I even start the show. That can't be good for ratings.

Speaking of this, I am not sure when I will get around to watching this.
Old 03-02-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I made it through the first episode. That was such an obvious twist I was surprised they played it off as some kind of shocking reveal. The first hour was dull, I can see why ABC wanted two episodes right off the bat.

I've never thought much of Ryan Phillippe's acting skills and this only confirmed my impression once again. I don't think Secrets and Lies is my cup of tea.
I kind of laughed to myself when I saw ads for this. His ex-wife owns her own production company, got an oscar nomination (for Wild), and produced one of the bigger hits of 2014 (Gone Girl). He's hamming it up on a rather weak movie he directed (Catching Hell) and now slumming it in a sub-par limited series.
Old 03-02-15, 10:49 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I really enjoyed it...yeah, you can site the Broadchurch/Gracepoint influence, but Phillippe is magnetic and while I usually find Juliette Lewis over-the-top, she is very good so far.

My main issue sustainability; why isn't this just a mini-series? Can't the networks learn from the cable models and BBC that sometimes shorter is better?
Old 03-03-15, 04:48 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

My money's on...

Spoiler:
...the handicapped kid, the one with the tablet at the boy's funeral.
Old 03-03-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I didn't like this any better when it was called 'Gracepoint' last spring. How many shows do we need about finding a dead kid?
Old 03-03-15, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
I really enjoyed it...yeah, you can site the Broadchurch/Gracepoint influence, but Phillippe is magnetic and while I usually find Juliette Lewis over-the-top, she is very good so far.

My main issue sustainability; why isn't this just a mini-series? Can't the networks learn from the cable models and BBC that sometimes shorter is better?
I liked it. I think the killer is either the wife or whoever Trevor is on the kid's ipad. The mother of the developmentally challenged kid just seemed too nervous at the mention of Trevor. Anyway, Phillippe is fine but I think the plan was to have new stories/cases each season with the same detective if the show was a hit. I don't think there will be a season 2 based on the ratings.
Old 03-03-15, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I liked it. I think the killer is either the wife or whoever Trevor is on the kid's ipad. The mother of the developmentally challenged kid just seemed too nervous at the mention of Trevor. Anyway, Phillippe is fine but I think the plan was to have new stories/cases each season with the same detective if the show was a hit. I don't think there will be a season 2 based on the ratings.
I think so too. Doesn't ABC have the same plans in case American Crime becomes a hit?
Old 03-04-15, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

[sarcasm] Let's just go ahead and give Ryan Phillippe and Juliette Lewis Best Actor\Actress Emmys. [/sarcasm]

That was pretty bad. I only watched it 'cos it's set in my home town... but that was 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. And I can't emphasize it enough: Juliette Lewis is a horrible actress.
Old 03-08-15, 10:09 PM

Decent follow up to the premiere. Ben can't catch a break. I started suspecting the teenage daughter more and also the tenant friend.
Old 03-08-15, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I didn't like this any better when it was called 'Gracepoint' last spring. How many shows do we need about finding a dead kid?
Don't worry the whodunit about dead kids trend will end in a year or two.
Old 03-10-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The wife has too obvious a motive for Cornell not to investigate her. I find the fact that she isn't investigating the wife to be very suspicious.
Old 03-10-15, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by randian
The wife has too obvious a motive for Cornell not to investigate her. I find the fact that she isn't investigating the wife to be very suspicious.
They could be working together.
Old 05-04-15, 12:27 PM

I finished up the season yesterday and today. I wasn't surprised by the reveal of the killer. After reading about the Australian version, this version did the same even though were rumors that there was going to be change in the killer from the Australian version.

I also watched the bonus scene on Cornell's Confidential on ABC site which is still a bit open ended.
Old 05-04-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

This ended the season with a series high (tie) of 1.7 in the demo. That makes it a toss up for renewal favoring on yes, which is odd, I haven't watched it but does it leave itself open for a S2?
Old 05-04-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The final episode made me regret the time I've wasted watching it. I've canceled my season pass in case it returns for an S2.
Old 05-04-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
I haven't watched it but does it leave itself open for a S2?
Open enough.
Old 05-05-15, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

I ended up really enjoying this one. Not really sure why but I looked forward to it each week. I wouldn't mind a S2.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.