DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Battle Creek (CBS) -- EP: Vince Gilligan -- S: Winters/Duhamel -- Series Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625409-battle-creek-cbs-ep-vince-gilligan-s-winters-duhamel-series-thread.html)

DJariya 09-25-13 08:31 PM

Battle Creek (CBS) -- From Vince Gilligan coming this Fall

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/vinc...-order-at-cbs/

In a dream pairing, the man of the hour, Vince Gilligan, coming off a best series win on Sunday for his hit AMC drama Breaking Bad, has teamed with House creator David Shore for Battle Creek, which has closed at CBS with a series production order for the 2014-15 season. The drama project, which I hear has a 13-episode commitment, was originally created by Gilligan a decade ago. It comes from Sony TV, which produced Breaking Bad and has an overall deal with Shore. Sony will co-produce with CBS TV Studios, with Gilligan, Shore and Breaking Bad EP Mark Johnson executive producing. Shore will serve as showrunner, with Gilligan interested in directing. It’s been a very strong last few days for Sony TV, which scored a best drama series win on Sunday for Breaking Bad, a strong opening for its new NBC series The Blacklist on Monday, followed by the series order for Battle Creek today.

Battle Creek centers on two detectives with very different world views who are teamed up. They must answer the question: is cynicism, guile and deception enough to clean up the semi-mean streets of Battle Creek, Michigan in the face of a complete lack of resources; or is the exact opposite true – it takes naïveté, trust and a boatload of resources? The deal brings the project back to CBS where Gilligan, pre-Breaking Bad, developed it in 2002. While the script didn’t go forward at the time, I hear it stayed on entertainment president Nina Tassler’s radar as she considered revisiting it multiple times. Meanwhile, after Breaking Bad wrapped production on its final season, Sony TV and ICM Partners paired their marquee drama creators Gilligan and Shore. (Gilligan’s overall deal at Sony TV is up but there have been discussions for a new one.). Gilligan and Shore took a pass at the original script and the project was taken to CBS.

This is Gilligan’s second post-Breaking Bad series; he also is executive producing ABC/Sony TV’s Breaking Bad spinoff Better Call Saul. Shore is also with the Shuman Co.

Gilligan is probably getting a hefty raise getting a network drama greenlit. Interesting that David Shore from House is showrunner. Gilligan will probably be showrunner for Better Call Saul. I have to assume that Gilligan will bring some of his Breaking Bad writers to this.

Kal Varnsen 09-25-13 09:02 PM

re: Battle Creek (CBS) -- From Vince Gilligan coming this Fall

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11848457)
http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/vinc...-order-at-cbs/

Gilligan is probably getting a hefty raise getting a network drama greenlit. Interesting that David Shore from House is showrunner. Gilligan will probably be showrunner for Better Call Saul. I have to assume that Gilligan will bring some of his Breaking Bad writers to this.

Peter Gould will be showrunner for Better Call Saul.

I hope they actually film the series in Battle Creek.

Geofferson 09-25-13 11:32 PM

Surprised Gilligan is jumping right into another series. I expected to hear he'd be directing a feature film next.

EddieMoney 09-26-13 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kal Varnsen (Post 11848494)
Peter Gould will be showrunner for Better Call Saul.

I hope they actually film the series in Battle Creek.

Me too, as I work in Battle Creek.

RichC2 09-26-13 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson (Post 11848604)
Surprised Gilligan is jumping right into another series. I expected to hear he'd be directing a feature film next.

Considering he is not showrunner for Better Call Saul or Battle Creek leads me to believe he may still be going on to bigger budgeted things.

JayDerek 09-26-13 08:03 AM

not overly happy this will be a Network TV show, but I'll give it a chance for sure

Red Dog 09-26-13 08:20 AM

A crime show on CBS? Shocking.

Raul3 09-26-13 08:25 AM

He may be following J. J. Abrams steps.

mphtrilogy 09-26-13 08:37 AM

Seems like he is honroing his earlier work which is classy. This will earn him some points in the industry.

I have low expectations because its on CBS. Was hoping he would land on HBO or Shwotime for his next gig.

Good call on JJ, he might be the road map for Vince. Who i think is the hottest property in TV right now.

DJariya 02-18-14 04:21 PM

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/kal-...edium=facebook

Kal Penn from House and Harold and Kumar was cast as one of the leads.

The main lead has not been cast yet.

TGM 02-18-14 04:24 PM

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...02-622-342.jpg

Say "series" again...

stvn1974 02-18-14 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 11848808)
He may be following J. J. Abrams steps.

Breaking Bad is great so I hope not. Instead I hope he continues to make great quality shows which is the exact opposite of what Abrams does.

Jimmy James 02-18-14 10:36 PM

I think Gilligan's career is looking a lot like Shawn Ryan's, particularly if Battle Creek and Better Call Saul go one and done like The Chicago Code and Terriers did.

If he is really committed to either of these shows, I'd strongly suggest he not spread himself too thin.

Original Desmond 02-19-14 06:30 AM

When i saw this thread, i was hoping for a TV series based on the Jackie Chan movie "Battle Creek Brawl"

PenguinJoe 02-19-14 06:49 AM

Chicago Code would have been a great show if not on FOX, drama-wise Networks can't compete with stuff like True Detective, Game of Thrones, and House of Cards but if I was a producer I'd take the hefty advancement money and then let them do what they want with the show.

Quatermass 02-19-14 12:57 PM

Detectives in Battle Creek? Are they going to hunt for cereal killers?

starseed1981 02-19-14 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass (Post 12017655)
Detectives in Battle Creek? Are they going to hunt for cereal killers?

Mwahahahah. Nice.

Hazel Motes 02-19-14 09:31 PM

the network drama is dead.

Jimmy James 02-19-14 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe (Post 12017266)
Chicago Code would have been a great show if not on FOX, drama-wise Networks can't compete with stuff like True Detective, Game of Thrones, and House of Cards but if I was a producer I'd take the hefty advancement money and then let them do what they want with the show.

I agree, and I hope my comments don't seem critical of Gilligan, Ryan, or The Chicago Code/Terriers. I liked both of the shows a lot and think they're both good TV creators.

DJariya 02-28-14 09:48 PM

http://tvline.com/2014/02/28/pilot-d...-battle-creek/

Dean Winters from Rescue Me and Law and Order SVU was cast as one of the leads.

Jimmy James 02-28-14 09:59 PM

The Nationwide spokesman?

DJariya 02-28-14 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James (Post 12029314)
The Nationwide spokesman?

This guy. Actually Allstate

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oVngo_slWJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jimmy James 02-28-14 10:07 PM

Oh, right. I get those confused.

Boondock Saint 03-01-14 01:26 AM

Re: Battle Creek (CBS) -- From Vince Gilligan coming this Fall

Or Ryan O'Reily. His best role.

Jimmy James 03-01-14 01:01 PM

Re: Battle Creek (CBS) -- From Vince Gilligan coming this Fall

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint (Post 12029434)
Or Ryan O'Reily. His best role.

Fuck yes.