Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

David Hedison dies at 92

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
David Hedison dies at 92

I was debating where to put this, but Hedison appears best known for his TV work even though he did work on 2 James Bond movies and the original The Fly. .

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...was-92-1226038

David Hedison, who starred as Captain Lee Crane on the 1960s ABC submarine series Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, died Thursday in Los Angeles, a family spokeswoman announced. He was 92.

The handsome actor also portrayed scientist André Delambre, who got turned into an insect in The Fly (1958) long before Jeff Goldblum ever did, and he played CIA operative Felix Leiter in the James Bond films Live and Let Die (1973) and Licence to Kill (1989).

From 1964-68, Hedison's character worked aboard the submarine Seaview under the command of Adm. Harriman Nelson (Richard Basehart) on 110 episodes of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. The show was created by Irwin Allen, based on his 1961 movie of the same name.

Born Al David Hedison on May 20, 1927, in Providence, Rhode Island, Hedison discovered the theater while attending Brown University and studied in New York under Sanford Meisner at The Neighborhood Playhouse and with Lee Strasberg at The Actors Studio.

He worked alongside Uta Hagen and Michael Redgrave in-off Broadway productions by Clifford Odets and Christopher Fry, among others, and made his big-screen debut in the World War II naval drama The Enemy Below (1957), starring Robert Mitchum.

After starring in the original The Fly and Son of Robin Hood in 1958, he signed a contract at Twentieth Century Fox, changing his stage name to David Hedison.

In the 1990s, he played Spencer Harrison on the NBC daytime series Another World.

His wife, Bridget Hedison, a producer on Dynasty and its spinoff The Colbys, died in February 2016. Survivors include his daughters Serena and Alexandra, the wife of Jodie Foster.

"Even in our deep sadness, we are comforted by the memory of our wonderful father," his family said in a statement. "He loved us all dearly and expressed that love every day. He was adored by so many, all of whom benefited from his warm and generous heart. Our dad brought joy and humor wherever he went and did so with great style."

A donation in his memory may be made to The Actors Fund.
Old 07-22-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: David Hedison dies at 92

It's partially a product of my age and which James Bond films I saw first, but when you say Felix Leiter Hedison is who I think of first.
Old 07-22-19, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I knew him first from "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and always dug his character. Was thrilled to see in a Bond Film. RIP
Old 07-22-19, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

They need to reboot VTTBOTS (along with other Irwin Allen Classics).
Old 07-22-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I always liked David Hedison.

I first became aware of him while watching Voyage in syndication during the mid 70's. Then I saw him as Felix Leiter in his two Bond movies and loved him in that role.

It was cool that Cubby gave him the chance to play Leiter again at the age of 61 (when they filmed it). He and Jack Lord are the guys I think of when I think of Felix Leiter.
Old 07-22-19, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It's partially a product of my age and which James Bond films I saw first, but when you say Felix Leiter Hedison is who I think of first.
He is my second. Jack Lord is my first from Dr. No. He was just as cool as Connery in that movie and I wish he had been in more.

But I always did like Hedison in the role.
Old 07-23-19, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Loved Voyage. I even put together models of the Seaview and the Flying Sub when I was a kid.