DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Marvel's Agent Carter (S1E08) -- Season Finale -- "Valediction" -- 2/24/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625318-marvels-agent-carter-s1e08-season-finale-valediction-2-24-15-a.html)

DJariya 02-24-15 04:40 PM

Marvel's Agent Carter (S1E08) -- Season Finale -- "Valediction" -- 2/24/15

http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2015/02/2...f4c9e_960w.jpg

SEASON FINALE

IN HER DARKEST HOUR PEGGY RISKS IT ALL TO SAVE HOWARD STARK AND THE WORLD, ON "MARVEL'S AGENT CARTER" ON ABC

"Valediction" - Peggy faces the full fury of Leviathan, as Howard Stark makes his return in the explosive season finale of "Marvel's Agent Carter," TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 24 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Marvel's Agent Carter" stars Hayley Atwell as Agent Peggy Carter, James D'Arcy as Edwin Jarvis, Chad Michael Murray as Agent Jack Thompson, Enver Gjokaj as Agent Daniel Sousa and Shea Whigham as Chief Roger Dooley.

Guest starring are Lyndsy Fonseca as Angie Martinelli, Ralph Brown as Dr. Ivchenko, Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark, Bridget Regan as Dottie Underwood, Walker Roach as "Captain America" Radio Actor, Erin Torpey as "Betty Carver" Radio Actor, Ralph Garman as Radio Announcer, Dajuan Johnson as Officer Pike, Glen Taranto as Detective Prendergast, Kevin Ashworth as Agent Fisher, Patrick Smith as Agent Butch Wallace, Matt Raimo as Reporter #1, Ward Roberts as Reporter #2, John Prosky as Senator Walt Cooper, Gerald Webb as Prison Guard, and Christopher Poehls as Ground Crewman.

"Valediction" was written by Michele Fazekas & Tara Butters and directed by Christopher Misiano.

Episode 8 of 8

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. returns to ABC next week

No news yet if Agent Carter will continue on as a series or if this is a 1-time deal.

resinrats 02-24-15 05:41 PM

Re: Marvel's Agent Carter (S1E08) -- Season Finale -- "Valediction" -- 2/24/15

With the low ratings, the only thing that will save it is the fact Disney owns it and the network and it is part of the MCU. I wouldn't mind more stories. Too bad networks seem to have gotten rid of made for TV movies. That would be a great format for more Carter.

Maybe Netflix would ok another season.

mwbmis 02-24-15 09:42 PM

This show never quite equaled the sum of its parts. Fun to see Toby Jones at the end.

mdc3000 02-25-15 12:41 AM

I liked the run but it wasn't a MUST SEE show for me, the way that Agents of Shield has become. It was entertaining but I'd be on my phone or tablet during parts of it and not feel like I had missed anything - I also hated the soft visual look of the show, always felt like watching the show with dirty glasses on. If it comes back, I hope they ditch that visual device because it sucks.

Jackskeleton 02-25-15 12:56 AM

I liked the visuals from the first few episodes but it seemed to just drop off a bit. meh. it was nice but really lacked something.

fumanstan 02-25-15 01:07 AM

Seeing Zola at the end was great, and I really enjoyed the story overall; I thought it tied in to Captain America very well in a way that didn't feel completely forced. It wasn't excellent, but it was very solid and I hope it comes back so we can see Peggy help start SHIELD.

The Infidel 02-25-15 07:32 AM

A black police officer in the late 1940s?

VHS? 02-25-15 10:00 AM

You never saw Harlem Nights

dfmaverick2 02-25-15 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 12406401)

Yep. All the way back to 1911.

NY Times article on the first

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/ny...anted=all&_r=0

Neil M. 02-25-15 11:24 AM

If this show comes back, they need to have a much more engaging story. I felt like these 8 episodes were the very definition of mediocrity.

Spiderbite 02-25-15 01:00 PM

Glad I wasn't the only one disappointed with the show. I struggled to get through all the episodes and don't even care if I watch the finale to be honest. Is the final episode worth watching at all or would it be better to just read a synopsis? I don't really want to devote any more of my time to the show.

I agree with resinrat's comments that this would probably work better as a tight, less than two hour TV movie. This entire season could have been better served in that format though I don't know if it would have made the story any more interesting.

I tried Avengers and gave up in the middle of the first season and did the same with Green Arrow. Since people seem to be saying that those are worth watching now, I gave Agent Carter more of a try then those two but came away disappointed. The Flash has been the only recent comic show to engage me and keeps me coming back (though it does have its faults as well). I forgot to DVR Gotham in the beginning and never got around to watching it since they took away the beginning episodes on HULU and with On Demand (which confuses the shit out of me why networks do this).

On to the next new comic book show...

B5Erik 02-25-15 08:05 PM

I loved every episode of Agent Carter. It tied in beautifully with the Captain America story and I really enjoyed the cast. The stories were good and the show looked like it came from the late 40's.

I can't wait to get it on Blu Ray and re-watch the whole thing. I enjoyed it more than Agents of Shield (which I like a lot). I'd be in for a second season of Agent Carter for sure.

The Infidel 02-25-15 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by VHS? (Post 12406500)
You never saw Harlem Nights

The incredibly bad work of fiction starring Eddie Murphy? No.

slop101 02-25-15 10:04 PM

I thought the strengths of the show was the setting and the character interactions. The story itself left me kinda cold. Definitely liked it more then Shield though.

Draven 02-25-15 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 12407192)
I loved every episode of Agent Carter. It tied in beautifully with the Captain America story and I really enjoyed the cast. The stories were good and the show looked like it came from the late 40's.

I can't wait to get it on Blu Ray and re-watch the whole thing. I enjoyed it more than Agents of Shield (which I like a lot). I'd be in for a second season of Agent Carter for sure.

Agreed. I thought it was fantastic. Loved pretty much everything about it. Really hope it comes back!

dalbowski 02-25-15 11:17 PM

It needed more Fonseca.

RocShemp 02-25-15 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by dalbowski (Post 12407368)
It needed more Fonseca.

If there is a second season, I hope they reveal that she has been working for
Spoiler:
Dr. Zola
all along and this has all been one long con to make Peggy an unwitting pawn of Hydra.

Draven 02-26-15 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by dalbowski (Post 12407368)
It needed more Fonseca.

Most things do.

Superman07 02-26-15 07:29 AM

I agree - the series was serviceable, but not great. I did think it picked up when they went to Russia. The chief grew quickly as a character, so I was sorry to see him go. I don't agree with a 2 hour movie, but 6 episodes might have been better. A lot of the pieces came together, but too much happened throughout so it felt disjointed.

Whoever commented on the look - I think they could mimic Amazon's Man in the High Castle. Very much has that period look, but very clean and polished.

If they were to do another series, I think it would be good to have another limited run. They could jump to the 50s and eventually 60s. If nothing else, perhaps another short on the Cap 3 home release.

mphtrilogy 02-26-15 09:18 AM

Enjoyed the time period and I thought Hayley atwell Was great.

Would definitely watch a second series

WallyOPD 02-26-15 09:34 AM

I loved this series, even more than Agents of Shield which I'm enjoying a lot, as well. Sorry to see the ratings haven't been that strong, but still holding out hope that it'll get another season.

Timber 02-26-15 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 12406401)

Took me right out of the show.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I loved everything about this show this season. Atwell needs to be on my TV far more often. I love the filtered lighting, the costumes and the story is very engaging for me. I'll be highly disappointed if we don't get a season 2.

Draven 02-26-15 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 12407595)
Took me right out of the show.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...icleInline.jpg

Samuel Battle. First African-American police officer in NYPD. Appointed in 1911.

There were others too. It wasn't that weird.

barelypure 02-26-15 10:47 AM

Why would the skin color of a police officer, who was a minor character at that, have any bearing on whether or not you liked the show? As long as the major characters are the right race and sex (Thor was not a woman) I don't have any problem with it. Not everyone is lily white.

As to the show, I enjoyed it and hope it comes back with even more episodes.

Hokeyboy 02-26-15 11:02 AM

The show lost me around episode 4due to its cheesy artificiality and lack of compelling storyline and characters. Does it get any better?