DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Better Call Saul (S1E04) -- "Hero" -- 2/23/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625294-better-call-saul-s1e04-hero-2-23-15-a.html)

DJariya 02-23-15 01:02 PM

Better Call Saul (S1E04) -- "Hero" -- 2/23/15

http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2015/02/2...aab02_960w.jpg

Jimmy conjures up a bold plan to solicit new clients, but has to face the consequences when the scheme strains his relationships with a rival firm.

Written by: Gennifer Hutchison

Directed by: Colin Bucksey

Episode 4 of 10

Mike86 02-23-15 10:51 PM

Re: Better Call Saul (S1E04) -- "Hero" -- 2/23/15

This series is four for four in my book, another really good episode tonight. I liked the opening scene with Jimmy using the Saul Goodman persona. It seems likely that him pulling a scam like that is probably why he was in custody in last week's cold open. Also liked the stuff with Jimmy trying to pull one over on Hamlin Hamlin McGill by creating a similar ad and even going so far as to dressing like Howard. The scene where he saved the billboard worker had me on the edge of my seat. I knew nothing would happen to him, and I figured with the title of the episode he would save the guy but it was still pretty intense. The end scene with Chuck wasn't bad. Chuck really seems like a screwy guy in that he can't be around any type of electronic devices without issue and is basically housebound. Strange character that I wish we'd find out more about. I'm assuming he didn't like reading about Jimmy in the newspaper because he views it as cashing in on publicity rather than working hard to build up a name.

DthRdrX 02-23-15 10:55 PM

The stealing the paper part, from the Breaking Bad camera views to the neighbor watching her paper get stolen by this nut wearing foil .... :lol:

Jackskeleton 02-24-15 12:24 AM

It was straight up Pinkman on drugs. I loved it. Man, this series so far has been top tier.

MLBFan24 02-24-15 12:32 AM

I'm loving this series as well. Before it was revealed the opening scene was a scam, if I were in Jimmy's situation, it was better to take the cash. Sure a Rolex is worth more, but harder to liquidate, especially since it would be stolen. Taking the cash was the better move, since it's already liquidated and ready to use.

But in the end, it was a scam so it didn't matter.

bluetoast 02-24-15 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12405155)
I'm assuming he didn't like reading about Jimmy in the newspaper because he views it as cashing in on publicity rather than working hard to build up a name.

Not just that but he probably sees through it as an actual scam, which is what Jimmy promised he would stop doing in last week's cold open.

stopgap 02-24-15 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 12405221)
I'm loving this series as well. Before it was revealed the opening scene was a scam, if I were in Jimmy's situation, it was better to take the cash. Sure a Rolex is worth more, but harder to liquidate, especially since it would be stolen. Taking the cash was the better move, since it's already liquidated and ready to use.

I was thinking the same thing up until the payoff that it was a scam. This show has legs!

Jackskeleton 02-24-15 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 12405233)
Not just that but he probably sees through it as an actual scam, which is what Jimmy promised he would stop doing in last week's cold open.

Not to mention also implied when Chuck saw the hospital bill for two busted legs.

It's all pushing forward to Chuck saying something about Jimmy's actions.

fumanstan 02-24-15 01:42 AM

I'm still not really feeling the Chuck stuff, but enjoyed the opening with the Saul Goodman line and the entire billboard thing.

Trelach24 02-24-15 02:17 AM

I was wondering how long the fat guy had to lie there since they didn't have cell phones back then until I remembered the howling. That's just genius.

I also didn't initially realize the billboard stunt was a scam just by their little hand shake afterwards. That just seemed like something that would happen if you kind of (but not really) saved someone's life.

Geofferson 02-24-15 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Trelach24 (Post 12405285)
I was wondering how long the fat guy had to lie there since they didn't have cell phones back then until I remembered the howling. That's just genius.

I didn't tie that in, but makes perfect sense now. :up:

Great episode last night. The billboard sequence and Chuck stealing the paper were both great.

I was optimistic it'd be a strong episode with Gennifer Hutchison scripting. Wasn't disappointed.

bluetoast 02-24-15 09:00 AM

Wow. The howling, good catch, I didn't connect that.

Meanwhile that piano music in the montage where he's calling news outlets - it's very familiar, was it in a recent movie?

Mike86 02-24-15 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 12405233)

I admittedly didn't even realize at first that he had pulled a scam with the sign worker. I thought something seemed a bit off and that it was a bit convenient that would happen and he would save him but I didn't make the connection right away. Like Trelach24 mentioned I thought the handshake was just a gesture for saving the guy's life.

GoVegan 02-24-15 09:24 AM

For some reason I did, but only because the billboard guy was taking so long while the camera was getting set up. He clearly had the corner peeled back, but was waiting around for something.

Geofferson 02-24-15 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Trelach24 (Post 12405285)
I also didn't initially realize the billboard stunt was a scam just by their little hand shake afterwards. That just seemed like something that would happen if you kind of (but not really) saved someone's life.

The billboard worker also said something to Saul like "took you long enough" during the hand shake. It wasn't terribly obvious, but after hearing that, we're to know it was a scam.

Mike86 02-24-15 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson (Post 12405447)
The billboard worker also said something to Saul like "took you long enough" during the hand shake. It wasn't terribly obvious, but after hearing that, we're to know it was a scam.

See I took that as him joking with Jimmy at first because it was taking him a bit to make it up the ladder to the walkway. The worker even said something like "hurry up" or something in a panicked way. The whole thing was very subtle and worked well because obviously Jimmy was pulling one over in the context of the people present and even on some viewers.

uteotw 02-24-15 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 12405221)

But in the end, it was a scam so it didn't matter.

S'all good, man!

Genius.

Geofferson 02-24-15 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12405455)
See I took that as him joking with Jimmy at first because it was taking him a bit to make it up the ladder to the walkway. The worker even said something like "hurry up" or something in a panicked way. The whole thing was very subtle and worked well because obviously Jimmy was pulling one over in the context of the people present and even on some viewers.

Gotcha - makes sense. Either way, I do appreciate the subtleties and respect for their viewers this and BB had. Instead of other shows that may dumb stuff down or hammer us over the head with something to make sure viewers pick up on it.

fumanstan 02-24-15 10:17 AM

I didn't pick up on the howl, or think of the billboard thing as a scam. Makes the little hand shake and the billboard guy talking to him make a lot more sense now. I feel dumb.

Groucho 02-24-15 10:18 AM

Weird to see the guy from "Hello Ladies" walking around.

musick 02-24-15 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by uteotw (Post 12405468)
S'all good, man!

Genius.

it was .... the whole opening was fantastic and what followed wasn't bad either

GoVegan 02-24-15 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12405487)
Weird to see the guy from "Hello Ladies" walking around.

I felt extra stupid when I saw him, because I kind of thought he was a little person in a wheelchair in Hello Ladies. I was thinking "Why would they cgi him to be normal height for this show?"

HN 02-24-15 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by GoVegan (Post 12405504)
I felt extra stupid when I saw him, because I kind of thought he was a little person in a wheelchair in Hello Ladies. I was thinking "Why would they cgi him to be normal height for this show?"

he played Marshall on Alias and i always thought he seemed like a short fellow* there but then saw him next to Saul and was like "did that guy have a growth spurt?"

(*i'm 5' 5" in the morning on a good day so who am i to judge, right? :o)

philo 02-24-15 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 12405401)
Meanwhile that piano music in the montage where he's calling news outlets - it's very familiar, was it in a recent movie?

Yes, in Silver Linings Playbook. It's Dave Brubeck's "Unsquare Dance"
Kind of surprised they used it. SLP used it well & it was a big recent movie.

Here's the tune & some goofy dancing.

Trelach24 02-24-15 11:25 AM

The first thing I noticed about that guy was how freaking big his head was in relation to his body.