Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S5E11) -- "The Distance" -- 2/22/15

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-15, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Walking Dead (S5E11) -- "The Distance" -- 2/22/15

Lasting through a spectacular storm, Rick and the group meet a seemingly friendly person. Can they be trusted or are they just manipulating Rick?

Episode 11 of 16
Old 02-22-15, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S5E11) -- "The Distance" -- 2/22/15

Originally Posted by DJariya

Episode 11 of 16
I imagine the mystery guy's probably someone Shane sent, up to more shenanigans. Heaven only knows what he and Lori have been up to since Rick and Co. abandoned them back in Georgia - one has to imagine neither being too thrilled with being left high and dry. (Since I'm such an idiot as to have believed Eugene was dead for several episodes, I figure I probably think some characters are still around who really have long been dead.) Or maybe that guy... what's his name? The Senator? Congressperson? He's due for another appearance, right?
Old 02-22-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Lasting through a spectacular storm, Rick and the group meet a seemingly friendly person. Can they be trusted or are they just manipulating Rick?
Of course they can't be trusted. After several weeks of suspicion and staring, this new guy will show his true colors and Rick will dispatch him in some grizzly manner.

Predictable as the rain.

And if by some twist this new group is legit, Rick will fuck it all up anyhow.
Old 02-22-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-22-15, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent episode.
Old 02-23-15, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Excellent episode.
Yeah, definitely. I'm just not so sure I'm thrilled they're introducing Alexandria. I was *really* hoping they were making everyone think that, and then they'd throw out the wild twist.

(Edit to Add: Spoilers for future plots from the comics. Read at your own discretion.)

Spoiler:
Because Alexandria means Negan ain't far behind. And holy God, that's not going to work. At all. A: The dude's almost a caricature. B: How the Hell can they even do that, considering this show isn't about to spend an hour each week beating South Park the Movie's profanity record. "Co******er" this and "goat screwing mother****er" that all the way home.

Plus, considering where the comic is, and has remained, Alexandria is kind of "game over." True, the issue released just last week might finally be flipping that dynamic, but it marks a decided transition... the end point, where their entire world transforms from... well, The Walking Dead, into more of a "Build a community/homebase, dealing -but always overcoming- the occasional odd threat."

The show's worked so well by never having the security blanket Alexandria -at least in the comics- represents. Even the Prison, well, that was most certainly no safe and secure Utopia.
Old 02-23-15, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I enjoyed that episode quite a bit, although I feel like the "suddenly driving in to herds of zombies" thing has been done enough on the show. I just really liked things go well for a change, and the mix of Rick's paranoid caution versus Aaron's calm truth. Probably one of the better episodes this season since Terminus.

Flare to the zombie's head was a nice touch.
Old 02-23-15, 01:53 AM
Cool New Member

What does "Gracious Ignatius" mean that Abraham said?
Old 02-23-15, 02:58 AM

I'm in the Rick camp here. I do not trust Aaron. There were no pics of actual people in his photos. The license plate collecting seemed odd. More like switching out the plates to appear to be from a lot of different places as he collects people for god knows what. When I heard the children playing outside the gate I thought it was an audio recording. They will probably be okay folks but something will set Rick off and he'll kill Aaron then they'll be banished and have to move on. Another clue: babies and animals know what's up. Judith immediately starts crying when Aaron comes in the barn = evil presence.
Old 02-23-15, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great episode!

I imagine that - even if Alexandria is truly safe - Rick would have a tremendously hard time letting his guard down. I liked everyone standing up against Rick and saying "we're doing this!"

I haven't read the comics, but I would believe Aaron to be real.
Old 02-23-15, 05:38 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

another episode where 30 seconds of plot development was streeeeeetched out over 42 minutes.
Old 02-23-15, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
another episode where 30 seconds of plot development was streeeeeetched out over 42 minutes.
I think this episode was more about trust and whether everyone was going to keep listening to Rick. Rick's point was that they cannot trust anyone after the Governor and Terminus, and he is partly right. Michonne's point is that you have to be careful with any newcomer, but there has to be someone good left in this society as everyone can't be bad? I am a huge Rick fan, but Michonne is the first person to stand up to Rick since Herschel, and the show needs that.

I hear what you're saying about the plot development being stretched, but I blame that more on the first 2 episodes of the second half of the season being filler. If second half of the season opened with this episode, I think it would have worked alot better. I have not read the comics, so I am just speculating, but I could see them going with this new plot for the atleast the rest of this season into Season 6.
Old 02-23-15, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I think this episode was more about trust and whether everyone was going to keep listening to Rick. Rick's point was that they cannot trust anyone after the Governor and Terminus, and he is partly right. Michonne's point is that you have to be careful with any newcomer, but there has to be someone good left in this society as everyone can't be bad? I am a huge Rick fan, but Michonne is the first person to stand up to Rick since Herschel, and the show needs that.

I hear what you're saying about the plot development being stretched, but I blame that more on the first 2 episodes of the second half of the season being filler. If second half of the season opened with this episode, I think it would have worked alot better. I have not read the comics, so I am just speculating, but I could see them going with this new plot for the atleast the rest of this season into Season 6.
Yep, and Carol said exactly that to Rick at the end. Something like "even though you were wrong, you were right".

And agree on this episode - I didn't think this episode was stretched at all (it made complete sense to double check every single thing Aaron was saying), but when you layer it on top of the previous 2 slower episodes, it could feel like they didn't do much overall.
Old 02-23-15, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think they should have cut out all the zombies parts. Then use that time for the lesser used characters.
Old 02-23-15, 08:54 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

This was the first episode I've really enjoyed since the third episode of the season.

Any homophobic outrage on this episode?
Old 02-23-15, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I wondered the same thing, so went on twitter to see what the bigots of the world were saying. Your typical knuckle-dragging stuff.
Old 02-23-15, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

Without any spoilers, Aaron being gay is carried over from the comics.
Old 02-23-15, 09:45 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This was the first episode I've really enjoyed since the third episode of the season.

nope, not since they killed Tyrese.
Old 02-23-15, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I wondered the same thing, so went on twitter to see what the bigots of the world were saying. Your typical knuckle-dragging stuff.
I used to love Twitter & Facebook, but I am starting to just avoid it for anything that is trending in this country. The problem with Social Media is that there are so many fake accounts that its actually worse then message boards like these.

Social Media is instant reaction and any topic that is posted by anyone get the vitriol of statements because from alot of people posting behind a fake account. And the scary thing is there are actually people with real accounts who spew the same nonsense at the people with fake accounts! And if you notice every person who comments on something has to think they are the funniest person in the world, as its some of the worst sarcasm or mean spirited in that respect.

I don't know how you can regulate Twitter/Facebook the same way these message boards are regulated (mods can step in if you get someone who totally out of hand), but its a real turn off these days.
Old 02-23-15, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Twitter is a cesspool of shit.

Good episode.
Old 02-23-15, 10:55 AM

Nice to see this move along after a season of filling, finally Aaron and Eric are in and we're at the door of Alexandria.

I wonder how many characters will be introduced.

Spoiler:
Douglass for sure, probably Denise, Heath, Holly, and Spencer.

I'd love to see a show on scavenging and see Heath and Scott in action.
I wonder if they'll have the whole Peter violence thing. Probably.
Old 02-23-15, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I don't know how you can regulate Twitter/Facebook the same way these message boards are regulated (mods can step in if you get someone who totally out of hand), but its a real turn off these days.
Here's my trick - only follow/friend people I like on social media and skip comments altogether. It works great.

I thought this was a solid episode. I like Rick's mistrustful nature and the others being torn because they've lived through the same things but they are tired and hungry and that is a palpable feeling throughout the whole group. I really appreciated Carol's "You're wrong but you're right," as that's the best way to address this feeling.

I still don't understand the mentality that this has to be a rapid fire frantic plot race in every episode. The reality of the world in this show is that it's long, slow and boring. Lots of woods, lots of walking, occasional zombie kill. If some people had their way, they'd be at the farm, the prison, Woodbury and Terminus within the first 6 episodes of the show.
Old 02-23-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Rick is sort of

Spoiler:
looking like the current comic book version minus the bald head. I do hope Negan shows up but make him different from the comic book version 'cause I really thought that version was just a really insane version of the Governor. I really didn't like that because it felt recycled. I do want to see Carl with the hole in his head. They already cheated us out of a one handed Rick.
Old 02-23-15, 11:25 AM

So how is Morgan suppose to follow them now? There's no way he could know where they went. (Which road, direction, how many miles, etc...)
Old 02-23-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericmylad
So how is Morgan suppose to follow them now? There's no way he could know where they went. (Which road, direction, how many miles, etc...)
Maybe he could amongst a group that gets recruited, or crosses paths with Rick on a supply/rescue run

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.