Arrow (S3E14) -- "The Return" -- 2/18/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-18-15, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

ARROW

"The Return" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

THE RETURN OF DEATHSTROKE AND TOMMY MERLYN - Malcolm (John Barrowman) puts Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Thea (Willa Holland) in a dangerous situation that lands them on Lian Yu with Oliver's former enemy, Deathstroke (guest star Manu Bennett). A flashback reveals when Oliver and Maseo (guest star Karl Yune) returned to Starling City to retrieve the Omega bio weapon, and despite being under strict orders from Amanda Waller (guest star Cynthia Addai-Robinson) not to reveal himself to anyone, Oliver looks in on his family, Laurel (Katie Cassidy) and Tommy (guest star Colin Donnell). Dermott Downs directed the episode written by Marc Guggenheim & Erik Oleson (#314). Original airdate 2/18/2015.

Episode 14 of 23
Old 02-18-15, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Arrow (S3E14) -- "The Return" -- 2/18/15

Where was Boomerang? Malcolm went to far. Is this lost? Thea was pretty hot in that last scene. Captain Lance is the man. What was that like a thousand flashbacks? Old Oliver was such the killer. Thank Grodd this show isn't going on a three week break like The Flash.
Old 02-19-15, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Episode was alright. Kind of a lackluster return for Slade. I get the purpose overall was for Thea to learn the truth.

The flashbacks in this episode didn't really work. They were kind of disjointed. Bringing Tommy back and then throwing a Captain Lance/Laurel flashback integrated with Ollie's storyline for me didn't flow that well. And I was at Paul Blackthorne's awful wig. Could that wig not be more obvious? And yes we know already that Thea was messed up when Ollie wasn't around. Seeing Felicity in there as well kind of furthers my points how disjointed they were.
Old 02-19-15, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to agree with DJariya. This episode was all over the place for an important sweeps episode. Slade's return was handled oddly, the producers felt desperate to put him back in prison by the end of it. All these flashbacks featuring dead characters did nothing for me, does anyone really care to see Oliver's father again?

I am also bored to tears by Thea's storyline. It was cool when she was in the background getting trained as a B story, but I have virtually no interest in her character's development. I think it quite clear she is headed to becoming another vigilante, like everyone else on the show. This would actually be a great time to kill her, when no one expects it.
Old 02-19-15, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

yeah.. that use of Slade was pretty bland. This show just seems to forget things and I still haven't forgiven it for just glossing over the fact that Ollie was skewered just a few episodes ago and now he's perfectly able to walk around and be as normal as if he didn't have a sword sticking through both ends of his person.
Old 02-19-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, this is starting to become a bag of mixed goods. They need to get someone in there to put all the puzzle pieces in order.
I still enjoyed it but it has become "meh" lately.
Old 02-19-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like how they gave Oliver a hat, to cover the horrible wig he is forced to wear.
Old 02-19-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

the wigs are so bad, i am starting to think these people are soviet spies masquerading as Americans.

that picture of ollie that felicity was talking to, was the textbook definition of unsettling. he looked like rosemary's baby.

i was hoping to see roy in the flashback, ineptly jumping off things and trying to steal purses outside the club.
Old 02-19-15, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So did Slade hit the Just For Men real hard while he's been in that prison?
Old 02-19-15, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre View Post
I was hoping to see Roy in the flashback, ineptly jumping off things and trying to steal purses outside the club.
The club wouldn't be there - it was built when Ollie returned the next time.

Roy could have showed up at Tommys house - stealing stuff - heck maybe have him bump into Thea. Or was I thinking when they had that scene of Tommy/Laurel outside of the Law Offices - Roy could have parklor by-stealing Laurels purse/hand bag.
Surprise they didn't have Roy in those flashbacks - we got Diggle, why not Roy?

Speaking of Diggle - his brother got him the gig being security at Tommys party. Has the brother been mentioned in the show before?
(I'm thinking he may have passed on after that-before Diggle got the job being bodyguard to Ollie.)

Last edited by LaxBandit; 02-19-15 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This EPisode had a Lucas/Episode I quality to the flashback cameos.
Old 02-19-15, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LaxBandit View Post

Speaking of Diggle - his brother got him the gig being security at Tommys party. Has the brother been mentioned in the show before?
(I'm thinking he may have passed on after that-before Diggle got the job being bodyguard to Ollie.)
Deadshot killed his brother, remember? We didn't see it, but it's come up several times.
Old 02-20-15, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This show has taken a sharp turn for sucksville.

Watching Slade struggle with a 100 pound girl was unbelievably painful.
Old 02-20-15, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The show definitely spent money bringing back all these former cast members. I don't think it was worth it, the flashbacks were pretty worthless in this one.
Old 02-20-15, 02:25 PM

Kind of a disappointing episode and season really. The prison looked like it was pretty big underground, but we don't see captain boomerang? Seems like we're just supposed to ignore what has happened in previous episodes? Malcolm could have released him too just to get him out of there.

Can't Slade just get over Shadow already?

I loved the first two seasons, but I'm having a hard time getting into it this year. A few episodes have been good, but I just don't get where they are headed.

And did they ever say why Brick was so darn strong and apparently get shot and nothing happens? And seriously, we can't even have any mention to Oliver that he got stabbed through the chest? He's running around like everything is perfectly fine? He fell off a cliff for crying out loud.
Old 02-20-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought they were going to reveal Brick had invulnerable skin or something. I wonder if that was in the cards and at the last minute decided to ignore introducing superpowers. The scenes were definitely filmed in a way to suggest he had bulletproof skin in some areas.
Old 02-20-15, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I delted this episode from the DVR without watching because the school closings took up a quarter of the screen. But after hearing Thea takes down Slade I'm good skipping it. What a crappy thing to do to one of the best characters on the show period.
Old 02-20-15, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=jwb0323;12401648]Kind of a disappointing episode and season really. The prison looked like it was pretty big underground, but we don't see captain boomerang? Seems like we're just supposed to ignore what has happened in previous episodes? QUOTE]

Oliver mentioned that there was a second prisoner that probably would not help them. I'm guess that was Captain Boomerang.
Old 02-20-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jwb0323 View Post
Kind of a disappointing episode and season really. The prison looked like it was pretty big underground, but we don't see captain boomerang? Seems like we're just supposed to ignore what has happened in previous episodes? Malcolm could have released him too just to get him out of there.
Well, Ollie did mention there was "one other prisoner". I'm sure that was a nod to Captain Boomerang. Though that was kind of annoying since that means a whole prison facility is being wasted on only two inmates.
Old 02-21-15, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, I thought Waller recruited Boomerang for the Suicide Squad. I guess that might happen in later episodes.

I was also rather confused by all the flashbacks. At the end when Laurel showed up at her sister's grave I thought we still were watching one. Laurel is starting to look good again though.
Old 02-23-15, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by thelwig14 View Post
Watching Slade struggle with a 100 pound girl was unbelievably painful.
It makes sense when you consider that Slade didn't fuck Thea before he fought her. Dick is her Kryptonite.
Old 02-23-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
It makes sense when you consider that Slade didn't fuck Thea before he fought her. Dick is her Kryptonite.
Old 02-23-15, 07:03 PM

The entire flashback crap this year with Ollie bores me so much that I actually have no idea wtf they're about. Waller is making Ollie and some chinese married couple chase chemicals and then the couple fight with each other and with Ollie and then one becomes an assassin and the other gets sad and I've fallen asleep again.
Old 02-24-15, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by malichai View Post
The entire flashback crap this year with Ollie bores me so much that I actually have no idea wtf they're about. Waller is making Ollie and some chinese married couple chase chemicals and then the couple fight with each other and with Ollie and then one becomes an assassin and the other gets sad and I've fallen asleep again.
The entire flashback this year has been painfully bad. I wondered last year what they were going to have Oliver do in Hong Kong and never expected anything as lame as what we have gotten. Boring and they rarely make sense when closely examined.

If I were the producers I would almost immediately blow up whatever you had planned for them, the flashbacks are crippling the show. Which is a complete reversal from last year, when the flashbacks were intense and a critical part of the narrative with Slade slowly going crazy.

I think most of the budget now is going towards filming the huge action scenes with multiple costumed heroes in them.
Old 02-24-15, 09:39 AM

never seen this before. will have to take a look. thanks!