Supernatural (S10E14) -- "The Executioner's Song" -- 2/17/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-17-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

SUPERNATURAL

"The Executioner's Song" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

THE RETURN OF CAIN - Dean (Jensen Ackles), Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Castiel (Misha Collins) deal with Cain's (guest star Timothy Omundson) return. Crowley (Mark Sheppard) and Rowena (guest star Ruth Connell) continue to grow closer but when Crowley bails on plans with his mother to help the Winchesters, Rowena lets him have it. Phil Sgriccia directed this episode written by Robert Berens (#1014). Original airdate 2/17/2015.

Old 02-18-15, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Supernatural (S10E14) -- "The Executioner's Song" -- 2/17/15

Thought it was a pretty good episode. Got the sense Cain allowed himself to be killed.
Old 02-18-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
Thought it was a pretty good episode. Got the sense Cain allowed himself to be killed.
He probably just finally wanted to end it all.

This was a definite improvement over the last few weak episodes, but this show really needs some kind of direction. It's been going on forever, it needs something to reinvent it.

Was Lucifer the one who marked Cain in the show's mythology, or God? If it's Lucifer, they should try to figure him into the plot somehow, though of course they probably can cover the cost of flying him out to Vancouver. I kept thinking they'd bring him and Michael back into the plot at some point. Have to find some sort of kick in the ass, they're getting stuck in their own mythology and running out of supernatural stuff to kill.

Cain and Dean throwing down was cool though. Probably some rest for his long-suffering character, at least. Dean coming out and still being in control was a little pat, but they're obviously implying that he won't be for long.
Old 02-18-15, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought this was a pretty good episode. I'm mad they killed Cane off though. He was the most interesting character they have introduced in the show in a long time. Not really digging the Crowley and Mom storyline. But I am interested in the Mark of Cane one.
Old 02-18-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post

This was a definite improvement over the last few weak episodes, but this show really needs some kind of direction. It's been going on forever, it needs something to reinvent it.

Was Lucifer the one who marked Cain in the show's mythology, or God? If it's Lucifer, they should try to figure him into the plot somehow, though of course they probably can cover the cost of flying him out to Vancouver. I kept thinking they'd bring him and Michael back into the plot at some point. Have to find some sort of kick in the ass, they're getting stuck in their own mythology and running out of supernatural stuff to kill.
The mark was from Lucifer. Cain agreed to follow him in exchange for Lucifer leaving Able alone. It's the running theme of brotherly love/obligation for Supernatural. The thing though is that Cain told Dean to find him after he kills Meditron so Dean and kill him also. They established that Cain wanted to died just that he couldn't kill himself.
Old 02-19-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

imo:
no shot of Cain's body = Cain not necessarily dead

I hope he returns later - I like the way Timothy Omundson plays him....
Old 02-20-15, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post

I agree. I lost track of things (or maybe I lost interest) around Season 6 or so when I got a sense of recycled demon stuff along with recycled plots.

The problem with Supernatural is it gets so caught up in apocalyptic nonsense, it trips over itself and doesn't leave room for a good plot flush itself out for a season (or two).
Old 02-20-15, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's such a shame Jensen has never been/ will never be recognized for his work on this show. He was so good in this episode.
Old 02-20-15, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cain was a good villain, better than all the other ones they've had in recent years.
Old 02-22-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good ep overall. Cain parts were cool. Great to see Omundson.

Crowley overstayed his welcome several seasons ago and really it's a shame they ruined what was such a great character/actor when he first appeared. I didn't care for his mother from the start and her storyline has only made things worse.

Dean's struggle seems to be the central story this season and honestly it's doesn't make great TV. It fails the fundamental rule of show don't tell and as much as I love Jensen as Dean his acting alone can't sell it.
Old 02-22-15, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When was the last time neither Winchester had some kind of issue going on? I really can't remember when one or both didn't have some emotional crisis brewing. This series had less angst when Kripke ran it.