Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Old 02-16-15, 05:27 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 56,995
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15





Jimmy pulls out all the stops to prove that his dangerous client is innocent, even though it causes some friction with Kim.


Written by: Thomas Schnauz

Directed by: Terry McDonough



Episode 3 of 10
Old 02-16-15, 08:39 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 44,971
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Who's Kim? That girl in his brother's firm? What is their relationship supposed to be? I didn't really understand that in the pilot.
Old 02-16-15, 08:58 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 56,995
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Who's Kim? That girl in his brother's firm? What is their relationship supposed to be? I didn't really understand that in the pilot.
She was the blonde in the 1st episode. But, they haven't really established any kind of relationship yet with her and Jimmy. I guess they're former colleagues.
Old 02-16-15, 09:30 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,857
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

I figured he tried using her as an "inside man" and she shot him down.
Old 02-16-15, 10:24 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Who's Kim? That girl in his brother's firm? What is their relationship supposed to be? I didn't really understand that in the pilot.

They haven't touched on that and that's why I like Vince. He doesn't feel the need to lay it all out there just yet until it's needed. I'm sure that by the end of the next few episodes we'll understand the exact nature of the relationship.
Old 02-16-15, 11:02 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,857
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Almost fell off my chair laughing when he burst through the tent lol.
Old 02-16-15, 11:24 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,163
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Three episodes in and I'm loving this series. The opening between Chuck and Jimmy was good and honestly probably the most I've enjoyed Chuck on the series to date. I'm looking forward to learning more about his past and how he came to be how he is now. I also liked the interaction between Jimmy and Mike and it seems like this could be the start of them getting on better terms with one another and eventually becoming friends/business associates. I'm curious as to what the past is between Jimmy and Kim. It seems pretty obvious they worked together in the past but I wonder if they had a past relationship or what.

I have to say I was skeptical at first about how good a series based on Jimmy/Saul would be but the show is damn good. I really enjoy Odenkirk a lot, he's fun to watch and at the same time I find myself feeling sorry for him but also thinking he's a dumbass at times. Great performance though. I can't wait for next week's episode!!
Old 02-16-15, 11:31 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 3,197
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Old 02-16-15, 11:36 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Raleighwood
Posts: 6,644
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

^

These last 2 episodes have been damn near perfect.
Old 02-16-15, 11:42 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,086
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

loved the opening
Loved the character development of Mike
Loved the Edible Arrangements joke

solid series thus far

just caught that they started the episode with "Here's Johnny" and ended it with that
Old 02-16-15, 11:57 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Earth ....
Posts: 4,704
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

I really like this show.
Saul is really loyal to his clients even though they aren't the most savory of characters.
Nacho is not yo man!
great line.
Old 02-17-15, 12:43 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,294
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Three episodes in and I'm loving this series. The opening between Chuck and Jimmy was good and honestly probably the most I've enjoyed Chuck on the series to date. I'm looking forward to learning more about his past and how he came to be how he is now. I also liked the interaction between Jimmy and Mike and it seems like this could be the start of them getting on better terms with one another and eventually becoming friends/business associates. I'm curious as to what the past is between Jimmy and Kim. It seems pretty obvious they worked together in the past but I wonder if they had a past relationship or what.

I have to say I was skeptical at first about how good a series based on Jimmy/Saul would be but the show is damn good. I really enjoy Odenkirk a lot, he's fun to watch and at the same time I find myself feeling sorry for him but also thinking he's a dumbass at times. Great performance though. I can't wait for next week's episode!!

Being as he called her at 2, and she stated she wasn't going to talk dirty they have or had some level of involvement methinks. The scenes in the police station with Mike were very organic and believable. Who's taking wagers that Saul negotiates a "finders" fee for turning them into their lawyers instead of the police? A loyalty fee he will share with Nacho of course.
Old 02-17-15, 02:20 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 44,971
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Very enjoyable episode. Liked the nod to the Sopranos with a Pines Barren reference.
Old 02-17-15, 02:29 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Matt925's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,811
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Wish I could watch the next episode right now. Great finish.
Old 02-17-15, 02:38 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Enjoyed seeing Mike do a little more in this episode and a hint of his past. At first I thought it was dumb that Jimmy started walking and searching alone for hours by himself, but i suppose the Nacho threat was the reason.
Old 02-17-15, 09:25 AM
  #16  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,217
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Originally Posted by musick View Post

just caught that they started the episode with "Here's Johnny" and ended it with that
What was the 'here's Johnny' reference at the beginning? I don't recall.

Either way, great episode. Was good to see Mike finally get out of that ticket booth. I initially thought the family was hiding out in the boat. Was glad to see it ended up being something not quite so obvious.

Last edited by Geofferson; 02-17-15 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-17-15, 09:54 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 56,995
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Good episode. I think the show is 3 for 3.

Enjoyed the character development between Chuck and Jimmy. Interesting to see Jimmy was a screw-up/ex-con and Chuck had to get him out of that mess. Explains Jimmy's loyalty to his big brother.

I don't know about everyone else, but I love Jimmy and Mike's interactions. Glad he finally left the parking booth and they got to interact outside of it.

And I was at Here's Johnny
Old 02-17-15, 09:59 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
uteotw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 4,441
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
Being as he called her at 2, and she stated she wasn't going to talk dirty they have or had some level of involvement methinks.
This is what I deduced as well.
Old 02-17-15, 10:37 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,163
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

I'm sure we'll find out eventually and its too early for those reveals at this point, but I'm curious as to what happens to characters like Chuck, Kim, and the other associates at Hammond McGill Hammond since none of them were even mentioned on Breaking Bad that I recall.
Old 02-17-15, 10:51 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I'm sure we'll find out eventually and its too early for those reveals at this point, but I'm curious as to what happens to characters like Chuck, Kim, and the other associates at Hammond McGill Hammond since none of them were even mentioned on Breaking Bad that I recall.
Why would they have been mentioned on Breaking Bad?
Old 02-17-15, 10:56 AM
  #21  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 29,370
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

I think the point he's making is that since they weren't apart of that show... like Mike or Tuco...and eventually Gus as connections to his past life... what will happen in events leading up to BB that they are no longer around. The fact they aren't on BB makes events like that have to be forced into play.
Old 02-17-15, 11:04 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
van der graaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The 6900 block of Go Fuck Yourself
Posts: 3,079
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

But Breaking Bad didn't focus on Jimmy/Saul, so perhaps we only saw those aspects of/figures in his life that intersected with Walter, like Tuco and Mike. It doesn't mean Chuck and Kim have disappeared by that timeline .
Old 02-17-15, 11:08 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,163
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Originally Posted by van der graaf View Post
But Breaking Bad didn't focus on Jimmy/Saul, so perhaps we only saw those aspects of/figures in his life that intersected with Walter, like Tuco and Mike. It doesn't mean Chuck and Kim have disappeared by that timeline .
We saw enough of Saul though where those characters could have at least been name dropped or acknowledged in some way though even if we didn't actually see them.
Old 02-17-15, 11:16 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
van der graaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The 6900 block of Go Fuck Yourself
Posts: 3,079
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
We saw enough of Saul though where those characters could have at least been name dropped or acknowledged in some way though even if we didn't actually see them.
Could have, sure, but not necessarily strange that they weren't...especially because of all the shit Saul was into, he may have wanted to give no mention of people he cared about... Just speculation, but I wouldn't find any of it weird or shoehorned if it turned out, for example, that Kim was his confidant throughout the BB timeline, and that we just never heard of or saw her.
Old 02-17-15, 11:24 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,163
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

I guess the point I was getting at though is that Vince Gilligan seems to like to link things together. He doesn't seem like the type of writer that just introduces characters and doesn't tie them into other aspects of the overall universe he's built somehow. So to me the fact that none of them were acknowledged just seems a bit out of the ordinary.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.