DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625173-better-call-saul-s1e03-nacho-2-16-15-a.html)

DJariya 02-16-15 04:27 PM

Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2015/02/1...6e013_960w.jpg

Jimmy pulls out all the stops to prove that his dangerous client is innocent, even though it causes some friction with Kim.

Written by: Thomas Schnauz

Directed by: Terry McDonough

Episode 3 of 10

Decker 02-16-15 07:39 PM

Re: Better Call Saul (S1E03) -- "Nacho" -- 2/16/15

Who's Kim? That girl in his brother's firm? What is their relationship supposed to be? I didn't really understand that in the pilot.

DJariya 02-16-15 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12397359)
Who's Kim? That girl in his brother's firm? What is their relationship supposed to be? I didn't really understand that in the pilot.

She was the blonde in the 1st episode. But, they haven't really established any kind of relationship yet with her and Jimmy. I guess they're former colleagues.

DthRdrX 02-16-15 08:30 PM

I figured he tried using her as an "inside man" and she shot him down.

Jackskeleton 02-16-15 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12397359)

They haven't touched on that and that's why I like Vince. He doesn't feel the need to lay it all out there just yet until it's needed. I'm sure that by the end of the next few episodes we'll understand the exact nature of the relationship.

DthRdrX 02-16-15 10:02 PM

Almost fell off my chair laughing when he burst through the tent lol.

Mike86 02-16-15 10:24 PM

Three episodes in and I'm loving this series. The opening between Chuck and Jimmy was good and honestly probably the most I've enjoyed Chuck on the series to date. I'm looking forward to learning more about his past and how he came to be how he is now. I also liked the interaction between Jimmy and Mike and it seems like this could be the start of them getting on better terms with one another and eventually becoming friends/business associates. I'm curious as to what the past is between Jimmy and Kim. It seems pretty obvious they worked together in the past but I wonder if they had a past relationship or what.

I have to say I was skeptical at first about how good a series based on Jimmy/Saul would be but the show is damn good. I really enjoy Odenkirk a lot, he's fun to watch and at the same time I find myself feeling sorry for him but also thinking he's a dumbass at times. Great performance though. I can't wait for next week's episode!!

anomynous 02-16-15 10:31 PM

http://i.imgur.com/PvkMgdK.gif

Fist of Doom 02-16-15 10:36 PM

^:lol:

These last 2 episodes have been damn near perfect.

musick 02-16-15 10:42 PM

loved the opening
Loved the character development of Mike
Loved the Edible Arrangements joke

solid series thus far

just caught that they started the episode with "Here's Johnny" and ended it with that

chowderhead 02-16-15 10:57 PM

I really like this show.
Saul is really loyal to his clients even though they aren't the most savory of characters.
Nacho is not yo man!
great line.

johnnysd 02-16-15 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12397478)
Three episodes in and I'm loving this series. The opening between Chuck and Jimmy was good and honestly probably the most I've enjoyed Chuck on the series to date. I'm looking forward to learning more about his past and how he came to be how he is now. I also liked the interaction between Jimmy and Mike and it seems like this could be the start of them getting on better terms with one another and eventually becoming friends/business associates. I'm curious as to what the past is between Jimmy and Kim. It seems pretty obvious they worked together in the past but I wonder if they had a past relationship or what.

I have to say I was skeptical at first about how good a series based on Jimmy/Saul would be but the show is damn good. I really enjoy Odenkirk a lot, he's fun to watch and at the same time I find myself feeling sorry for him but also thinking he's a dumbass at times. Great performance though. I can't wait for next week's episode!!

Being as he called her at 2, and she stated she wasn't going to talk dirty they have or had some level of involvement methinks. The scenes in the police station with Mike were very organic and believable. Who's taking wagers that Saul negotiates a "finders" fee for turning them into their lawyers instead of the police? A loyalty fee he will share with Nacho of course.

Decker 02-17-15 01:20 AM

Very enjoyable episode. Liked the nod to the Sopranos with a Pines Barren reference.

Matt925 02-17-15 01:29 AM

Wish I could watch the next episode right now. Great finish.

fumanstan 02-17-15 01:38 AM

Enjoyed seeing Mike do a little more in this episode and a hint of his past. At first I thought it was dumb that Jimmy started walking and searching alone for hours by himself, but i suppose the Nacho threat was the reason.

Geofferson 02-17-15 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by musick (Post 12397494)

just caught that they started the episode with "Here's Johnny" and ended it with that

What was the 'here's Johnny' reference at the beginning? I don't recall.

Either way, great episode. Was good to see Mike finally get out of that ticket booth. I initially thought the family was hiding out in the boat. Was glad to see it ended up being something not quite so obvious.

DJariya 02-17-15 08:54 AM

Good episode. I think the show is 3 for 3.

Enjoyed the character development between Chuck and Jimmy. Interesting to see Jimmy was a screw-up/ex-con and Chuck had to get him out of that mess. Explains Jimmy's loyalty to his big brother.

I don't know about everyone else, but I love Jimmy and Mike's interactions. Glad he finally left the parking booth and they got to interact outside of it.

And I was :lol: at Here's Johnny

uteotw 02-17-15 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 12397529)
Being as he called her at 2, and she stated she wasn't going to talk dirty they have or had some level of involvement methinks.

This is what I deduced as well.

Mike86 02-17-15 09:37 AM

I'm sure we'll find out eventually and its too early for those reveals at this point, but I'm curious as to what happens to characters like Chuck, Kim, and the other associates at Hammond McGill Hammond since none of them were even mentioned on Breaking Bad that I recall.

RoyalTea 02-17-15 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12397740)
I'm sure we'll find out eventually and its too early for those reveals at this point, but I'm curious as to what happens to characters like Chuck, Kim, and the other associates at Hammond McGill Hammond since none of them were even mentioned on Breaking Bad that I recall.

Why would they have been mentioned on Breaking Bad?

dex14 02-17-15 09:56 AM

I think the point he's making is that since they weren't apart of that show... like Mike or Tuco...and eventually Gus as connections to his past life... what will happen in events leading up to BB that they are no longer around. The fact they aren't on BB makes events like that have to be forced into play.

van der graaf 02-17-15 10:04 AM

But Breaking Bad didn't focus on Jimmy/Saul, so perhaps we only saw those aspects of/figures in his life that intersected with Walter, like Tuco and Mike. It doesn't mean Chuck and Kim have disappeared by that timeline :shrug:.

Mike86 02-17-15 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12397766)
But Breaking Bad didn't focus on Jimmy/Saul, so perhaps we only saw those aspects of/figures in his life that intersected with Walter, like Tuco and Mike. It doesn't mean Chuck and Kim have disappeared by that timeline :shrug:.

We saw enough of Saul though where those characters could have at least been name dropped or acknowledged in some way though even if we didn't actually see them.

van der graaf 02-17-15 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12397767)
We saw enough of Saul though where those characters could have at least been name dropped or acknowledged in some way though even if we didn't actually see them.

Could have, sure, but not necessarily strange that they weren't...especially because of all the shit Saul was into, he may have wanted to give no mention of people he cared about... Just speculation, but I wouldn't find any of it weird or shoehorned if it turned out, for example, that Kim was his confidant throughout the BB timeline, and that we just never heard of or saw her.

Mike86 02-17-15 10:24 AM

I guess the point I was getting at though is that Vince Gilligan seems to like to link things together. He doesn't seem like the type of writer that just introduces characters and doesn't tie them into other aspects of the overall universe he's built somehow. So to me the fact that none of them were acknowledged just seems a bit out of the ordinary.