DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Constantine (S1E13) -- Series Finale? -- "Waiting for the Man" -- 2/13/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625137-constantine-s1e13-series-finale-waiting-man-2-13-15-a.html)

DJariya 02-13-15 08:06 PM

Constantine (S1E13) -- Series Finale? -- "Waiting for the Man" -- 2/13/15

http://www.nbc.com/sites/nbcunbc/fil...?itok=uY9xvdLm

"WAITING FOR THE MAN"

02/13/2015 (08:00PM - 09:00PM) (Friday) : A YOUNG GIRL'S ABDUCTION REUNITES JOHN AND JIM CORRIGAN - EMMETT SCANLAN AND MICHAEL JAMES SHAW RETURN - John (Matt Ryan) and Zed (Angélica Celaya) return to New Orleans when Detective Jim Corrigan (guest star Emmett Scanlan) asks for their help in the case of a missing girl. Papa Midnite (guest star Michael James Shaw) takes steps toward exacting his revenge on John. Meanwhile, the truth behind the Rising Darkness comes to light. Harold Perrineau also stars. TV-14 V

Episode 13 of 13

Last episode of the season and most likely forever. I wouldn't hope my breath on this coming back to NBC next season let alone switch networks to SyFy.

Josh-da-man 02-13-15 08:15 PM

Re: Constantine (S1E13) -- Series Finale? -- "Waiting for the Man" -- 2/13/15

So...
Spoiler:
Is Manny the First of the Fallen? (ie, Satan himself)

Abob Teff 02-13-15 08:29 PM

I'm three or four episodes behind ... Been holding (or hoping ;)) my breath waiting for an announcement of any kind. Then I'm waiting to see if there is any resolution ...

Baron Of Hell 02-13-15 10:31 PM

Oh my. Well that was something. Really liked this show but I probably should have waited on it. I hate being left in the wind like this.

About the ending. I don't think Manny is anything special. I think he just lied to get the contract off of Constantine. If the show had gone on I bet he would have had his wings removed and grounded to Earth.

Troy Stiffler 02-14-15 08:16 AM

Noooo. Is it over?

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man 02-14-15 10:11 AM

Nary a word as far as I know. I hope they do give it another shot as I think Matt Ryan knocked it out of the park with his Constantine. I may not be a "night of" watcher but for the past 13-15 weeks Ive been plunking down my 2.99 an ep on Amazon like clockwork on Saturday mornings.

Baron Of Hell 02-14-15 10:38 AM

Even if they save the show and send it to sci fi it will be rebooted. So this story line is pretty dead.

PhantomStranger 02-14-15 03:02 PM

I don't think Constantine's entire season was great television or anything, but the show certainly went out on a high note with a very creepy finale. Seeing those child brides was terrifying in a way network television rarely gets. The episodes did pick up in quality after the mid-season break. It appears a lot of effort was put into this finale with the hopes of a possible renewal.

It's not coming back. The show stumbled out of the gate by changing up its lead actress after the pilot and having a couple of fairly bland monsters of the week early in the run. I also never really bought the actor they cast as Jim Corrigan, he was too clean-cut for lack of a better term.

We can now look forward to the next supernatural-themed DC series, coming soon to a channel near you;):

http://d1vr6n66ssr06c.cloudfront.net...mstranger0.jpg

Jackskeleton 02-15-15 02:16 AM

Well, that was something alright. Gonna miss him as Constantine.

Giantrobo 02-15-15 08:31 PM

Cool ep. Oh well...

Eric F 02-16-15 09:31 PM

Nice. Nothing like pedophelia and child murder on network programming to get things moving.

Of course the last episode was the best. You can tell they didn't give no fucks when they have Constantine light up multiple times.:lol:

Jackskeleton 02-17-15 02:11 AM

Yeah, essentially 90% of his on screen time was smoking. And yet it did get a 6% rating increase.

Still, shit's not getting renewed.

PhantomStranger 02-17-15 02:45 PM

In retrospect, NBC wasn't the right choice for Constantine from the beginning. It looks like they requested a Supernatural clone. They did try to keep the comics in mind but its tone never felt particularly convincing or appropriate until the final few episodes.

I probably would have handled Manny's character a little differently. Limiting his interactions to Constantine for several episodes didn't lead to great storytelling.

SuckaMC 02-17-15 02:58 PM

Hope this lives on somehow. I like it quite a bit.

Giantrobo 02-17-15 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12398162)
In retrospect, NBC wasn't the right choice for Constantine from the beginning. It looks like they requested a Supernatural clone. They did try to keep the comics in mind but its tone never felt particularly convincing or appropriate until the final few episodes.

I probably would have handled Manny's character a little differently. Limiting his interactions to Constantine for several episodes didn't lead to great storytelling.

Been saying that here since day one when i heard it was on NBC....

Lastdaysofrain 02-18-15 08:04 AM

It was just ok. It looked right, but the storylines never really impressed me. Ideally it should have basically been Supernatural at it's best combined with Burn Notice at its best. Instead we kind of got a nonstarter. The Constantine characterization was never really there either. It just seemed hollow. Looked right, but didn't really stick. Weirdly even though it had a better budget than if it was on the CW it seemed really cheap. It had a real "shot in Canada" SyFy Network feel to it.

Nth Power 03-15-15 01:00 AM

It was hard to get motivated to finish the last few episodes of this, but I made it.
I really wanted this show to be good and like it, but it ended up not very good.
It was hampered being on NBC, but I'm not sure it would have been much better on cable. The best episodes were the ones taken from the comic, but even then the writing mostly felt flat and the characters never really came together for me.

I liked Zed at the beginning, but didn't care much for her at the end. Not sure if it was the actress or the writing, but probably some of both.

The sad thing is there probably won't be another Constantine on TV for a long time. I think it could have been great with some sharper writing on a different network.

PhantomStranger 03-15-15 01:20 AM

I could see that proposed Justice League Dark movie getting turned into a pitch for television with Constantine attached to it. I agree it could be a while before he gets another series of his own, if ever.

I think the darker magical side of DC might get turned into a viable property somewhere.

randian 03-15-15 06:15 AM

Constantine hasn't been formally canceled yet. There is still hope.

Obi-Wanma 05-08-15 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by randian (Post 12423322)
Constantine hasn't been formally canceled yet. There is still hope.

Now it has. But WB is trying to find it a new home.

http://comicbook.com/2015/05/08/nbc-...ba9b-268620957

Jackskeleton 06-08-15 05:14 AM

The rising darkness won, sorry.
http://nerdist.com/constantine-is-definitely-canceled/

PhantomStranger 06-08-15 02:14 PM

Resurrecting a network show on a lesser venue like cable or streaming is always very tough unless there is a proven audience in place. Constantine wouldn't be the same show since it's so reliant on expensive VFX.

joltman 06-11-15 06:05 AM

Just based on the same source.

TheBigDave 07-07-15 02:53 AM

I missed this show while it aired, but was thinking about buying it at Vudu since it's on sale.

Is it worth watching? Do they wrap up the storylines (is it a satisfying end)? Or does it end with a cliffhanger and nothing's resolved?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

Jackskeleton 07-07-15 04:35 AM

huge cliffhanger/ unresolved stuff.