Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Slap (NBC) - Event Series Thread - S: George, Sarsgaard, Thurman, Quinto, Newton

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Slap (NBC) - Event Series Thread - S: George, Sarsgaard, Thurman, Quinto, Newton

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 06:35 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ui1YlTPlW_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DESCRIPTION:
(from NBC's press release, December 2014) Meet Hector: a public servant, husband, father and valued friend on the cusp of his 40th. Meet Aisha: Hector's beautiful and intelligent wife who is planning his birthday party filled with friends and his very boisterous Greek family. Sounds like the makings of a great day, right? Wrong. As Hector tries to navigate family politics, awkward friendships and the young woman he is dangerously captivated by, the built-up tension explodes when Hector's hotheaded cousin slaps another couple's misbehaving child. Everyone is understandably stunned, and the party abruptly ends with the child's parents vowing legal action. But what the hosts and guests don't know is that this moment will ignite a chain of events that will uncover long-buried secrets within this group of friends and family ... and vigorously challenge the core values of everyone involved. The series stars Peter Sarsgaard, Uma Thurman, Thandie Newton, Melissa George, Zachary Quinto and Thomas Sadoski. The series is executive produced by writer Jon Robin Baitz, the team of Walter F. Parkes and Laurie MacDonald, director Lisa Cholodenko, Tony Ayres, Helen Bowden, Michael McMahon and Chris Oliver-Taylor.
PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Brian Cox as Manolis
· Lucas Hedges as Ritchie
· Makenzie Leigh as Connie
· Melissa George as Rosie
· Penn Badgley as Jamie
· Peter Sarsgaard as Hector
· Thandie Newton as Aisha
· Thomas Sadoski as Gary
· Uma Thurman as Anouk
· Zachary Quinto as Harry

RECURRING/PREVIOUS CAST INFORMATION:
· Mary-Louise Parker as Anouk (Originally Cast)

CREW INFORMATION:
· Jon Robin Baitz as CRTR/EP
· Laurie MacDonald as EP
· Lisa Cholodenko as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Ted Gold as EP
· Tony Ayres as EP
· Walter Parkes as EP
Read more: Listings - SLAP, THE on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3RX8nNNSr

8 episode season. This is advertised as a limited event series, and is a remake of another show with the same name.
Old 02-12-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Slap (NBC) - Event Series Thread - S: George, Sarsgaard, Thurman, Quinto, New

I'm actually pretty interested in this. The premise is really different from other shows.
Old 02-12-15, 08:29 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: The Slap (NBC) - Event Series Thread - S: George, Sarsgaard, Thurman, Quinto, New

^ Same here. Been oddly curious since the initial promos started airing. Solid cast too.
Old 02-12-15, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Yeah I'm checking this out. This is from the creator of Brothers and Sisters. Not a bad cast either. Surprised Thandie Newton found time to shoot this between making Rogue for Directv.
Old 02-12-15, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll be tuning into this. Melissa George was also in the original Australian show and is playing the same role here. I haven't seen the Australian show, but it had good reviews. I've looked at several early reviews for the U.S. adaptation and there is a mixed reception among critics.
Old 02-12-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who hasn't wanted to slap some stupid kid on occasion?
Old 02-12-15, 09:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madcougar
Who hasn't wanted to slap some stupid kid on occasion?
Try teaching middle school for thirty years.

Takes more restraint not to want to slap the parents around a bit.

May give this a try after seeing what others here think. I initially wrote it off simply because it seems more like something that could be covered in a two-hr. movie rather than 8 episodes, but I missed the part about the incident uncovering long-suppressed secrets & tensions among the family or whatever.

That doesn't encourage my interest, though, since there are tons of movies about funerals/weddings/reunions, etc. in which long-standing grudges, jealousies, & resentments, and other emotions "bubbling beneath the surface" come out. I'd rather focus on the actual event & how characters react to that instead of going Dr. Phil.

Sounds kind of like The Affair (but without the sex, nudity, drug-dealing, and murder).
Old 02-12-15, 09:49 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

What did the five fingers say to the face?

Old 02-12-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had this book in my to read pile for years now but never got around to it. I didn't realize that there was already a series out there, but I'll probably check this one out for ease. Reviews have tended to be middle of the road to outright awful.
Old 02-12-15, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts

I'm in for Melissa George.
Old 02-12-15, 10:42 AM

I wish I was in Melissa George.
Old 02-12-15, 11:09 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

feeding time?

Old 02-12-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I can't wait for the Spanish language version of this "La Chancla"
Old 02-12-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

8 episode season. This is advertised as a limited event series, and is a remake of another show with the same name. [/B]

I think the original 2011 series this is based on is up on Hulu plus.
Old 02-12-15, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I think the original 2011 series this is based on is up on Hulu plus.
It's on both Hulu and Hulu+: http://www.hulu.com/the-slap-2011
Old 02-12-15, 03:12 PM

Are Barney and Marshall going to make unexpected cameos?
Old 02-12-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I guess I'm alone in thinking this looks fucking stupid. The cast is decent but the promos for it just make it look laughably bad.
Old 02-12-15, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HN
feeding time?

Huh! Don't remember Lyssa Tully being that attractive.
Old 02-12-15, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

So he slaps the still-bfeeding Kindergartener... who's side are we supposed to be on here? Is Sylar the good guy?
Old 02-12-15, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike86
I guess I'm alone in thinking this looks fucking stupid. The cast is decent but the promos for it just make it look laughably bad.
Completely agree. I can't believe this is an actual premise for a TV show, limited or not. The cast sure is good though, I'll wait to see what others think about it first.

Is it just me or is Peter Sarsgaard starting to look like Kiefer?
Old 02-12-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Oh, I think this is fucking stupid as all hell. Shit, growing up in East L.A., if you got slapped, shit was your own fault. Shouldn't have been a fucking baboso.

It really makes me question why NBC canceled a great family drama in Parenthood and is now showing this shit.
Old 02-12-15, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you guys think: worst Pilot episode ever?
Old 02-12-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

This looks like a horrible idea for a show.
Old 02-12-15, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
What do you guys think: worst Pilot episode ever?
Not by a long shot. I mean, it wasn't great, but I've seen far worse.

Everything felt too cliche, from the midlife crisis with the babysitter, to the overbearing parents, to the blindly liberal couple.

And the climax was so contrived. Yeah, little Hugo is out of control and tearing up the flowers, so let's put a baseball bat in his hands! Also, lets have a weird dude standing around taking pictures of every little thing all afternoon--hey, you think that might come in to play later?

That said, the cast is enough to keep me watching for now.
Old 02-13-15, 12:20 AM

Ridiculously stupid. The contrived nonsense already mentioned? Heyhey, NBC execs - when your "big event!!!!!!!" is *so* weak the writers felt forced to spend more time creating a retarded mid-life crisis affair? That's a good indication the folks making the show know what they've got on their hands... and it ain't good. I mean my God, this isn't even a full season order... or a half of one. One season of eight episodes, and they've got to go that route to fill up the pilot's hour?!? Sarsgaard's character didn't do the "slap", nor is he the parent of the slapee - wtf is his purpose, clearly the central star character, in a show called... the Slap?

Oh, and an affair ain't enough - they've *also* gotta add that impossibly original/creative literary device: His not getting "the big promotion!" Seriously, how could anyone have read this script whilst it was still only on paper and not realized that even the creators knew they had garbage on their hands?

As far as "the Slap!" A: The kid should've been put down. You got a deadly weapon in your hands and you swing like a madman - not simply at some adult, but at other kids? Sayonara, sucka. Legally though, the brat furthermore *kicked* Sylar before he quite conservatively slapped him once - I'm sure the "kid vs. adult" changes things, but... it's so laughably one-sided here, it ain't funny. We're supposed to believe this sh** goes to trial? Are you kidding me? What, they had to make it so "the kid was clearly, blatantly in the wrong/deserving of a bitchslap" in order to even consider showing an adult hitting a kid in this modern uber-PC world of ours?

It totally destroys the entire premise/tension/drama/appeal doing that. If it were a 50/50 situation? That's one thing. If it were some abusive lunatic adult knocking a kid senseless for no reason? That's drama. But when the kid is the one who should either be institutionalized or in juvenile lockup, and yet we're supposed to want to waste eight weeks watching some guy who, *arguably* in committing a mistake, has his life ripped apart, his character demonized, and entire world destroyed - all for having a totally normal reaction to some monster kid kicking them as hard as they can after said monster almost killed their kid with a bat?

Gimme a break. No wonder those poor, sad writers felt compelled to make this 'Babysitter's Clubbing: The Affair' rather than 'Slap-a-dapaloo.' NBC, where's Brian Williams to save the day for you when you need him? No wonder this network has long been and yet remains an utter train wreck disaster, if in this day and age, this is the tripe you lot consider controversial "must see" event television. And so, my total number of NBC-watched shows returns next week to... zero!

My question? How the holy hell did this get *that* cast?!? Did they all get sent the wrong script - a mixup, perhaps receiving Saul over Slap (Better Call, that is)? Or is NBC truly, truly so desperate that they forked over a gold mine and blinded them with money? Seeing the cast it had is the main reason I gave this a shot - and clearly, oh what a mistake that was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.