Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Slap (NBC) - Event Series Thread - S: George, Sarsgaard, Thurman, Quinto, Newton

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Slap (NBC) - Event Series Thread - S: George, Sarsgaard, Thurman, Quinto, Newton

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-15, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: The Slap (NBC) - Event Series Thread - S: George, Sarsgaard, Thurman, Quinto, New

The cast is obviously pretty great for television. I hadn't really minded this pilot aside from the annoying voice-overs until the actual slapping incident, which ended up being ridiculously contrived. It quickly turned a solid ensemble piece into an overbearing family drama that doesn't resemble reality.

Calling it "The Slap" was the dumbest move possible. I really have no interest in seeing the cousin and his legal wrangling from the slap's fall-out, which constituted 80% of the entire season's preview.

I am done after one episode. The show didn't look terrible but its primary demo target appears to be middle-aged yuppies going through life crises.
Old 02-13-15, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Slap (NBC) - Event Series Thread - S: George, Sarsgaard, Thurman, Quinto, New

I'm assuming they'll change quite a bit to differentiate this from the original, however, the Australian series mostly concerns the repercussions of said event, instead of being about the event itself. The child being slapped is merely the device that kickstarts the story. If this follows the same trajectory in a broader sense, each episode should focus on a different character.

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's on both Hulu and Hulu+: http://www.hulu.com/the-slap-2011
BTW, the Australian series is also currently available on Netflix.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Calling it "The Slap" was the dumbest move possible.
To be fair, the book this is based on has the same title.

Last edited by meritocracy; 02-13-15 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad it wasn't on CBS. It could have been a crossover with Under the Dome where it's set in a town called Chester's Mill. Big Jim and Barbie show up, kid gets slapped, sees pink stars and crazy dumb stuff happens.
Old 02-13-15, 06:52 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm watching this now, and 13 minutes in I'm convinced this is a spoof. The narration for the show is the funniest stuff I've heard in a while.
Old 02-13-15, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Not by a long shot. I mean, it wasn't great, but I've seen far worse.

Everything felt too cliche, from the midlife crisis with the babysitter, to the overbearing parents, to the blindly liberal couple.

And the climax was so contrived. Yeah, little Hugo is out of control and tearing up the flowers, so let's put a baseball bat in his hands! Also, lets have a weird dude standing around taking pictures of every little thing all afternoon--hey, you think that might come in to play later?

That said, the cast is enough to keep me watching for now.
I pretty much felt the same way. I'll still tune in. I agree with you on the cliches. I haven't read the book that the shows are based on, but from reading reviews of it, the author is clearly inspired by Tom Perotta and his book Little Children. The narration on the show reminded me of the narration in Little Children. The show could improve after this. Each episode will be from the viewpoint of different characters.
Old 02-13-15, 09:25 AM
Banned

Maybe their next limited series event can be "The Lie" in which a respected news anchor gives a tribute at a hockey game & gets called out on Facebook and then all heck breaks loose.

They've even got a lead ready with some experience in acting who now has a break in his schedule.
Old 02-13-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If ever it was okay to slap another person's kid, that little monster would be most deserving.
Old 02-14-15, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Oh my god, that was terrible. I agree with everything Coladar wrote above. How were they able to grab such a good cast for this piece of shit?
Old 02-14-15, 10:18 PM

I watched about 15-20 minutes and thought it was horrid. Whose idea was it for that voiceover? It reminded me of The Grinch That Stole Christmas. I mean seriously???
So the options for deciding to have an affair included loneliness and suicide. I didn't even fast forward to the slap, I just didn't care. PASS.
We lost Parenthood for this crap.
Old 02-14-15, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Ill be waiting for the followup, the Fap.
Old 02-14-15, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Is this series a parody?

It almost comes off like a really subtle joke, like Spinal Tap, where everyone is playing straight and not recognizing the ridiculousness around them.
Old 02-19-15, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Anything Sarsgaard does is usually good.

I hope they show all the episodes since the premiere got low ratings.
Old 02-20-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Zachary Quinto???? Spock????

I saw the last few minutes before the Blacklist. WTF??? Never knew he was in this. I didn't even recognize him at first. I just kept looking. I know this guy, I know this guy but from where!
Old 02-20-15, 01:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
I'm watching this now, and 13 minutes in I'm convinced this is a spoof. The narration for the show is the funniest stuff I've heard in a while.
I could barely make it to the 30 minute mark - turned it off and deleted the rest off my DVR. No thanks NBC.
Old 02-20-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Narration is so tough to pull off, it has to be fluidly written prose and delivered by the right voice. I don't think it can work on the tight schedules of a network show. Maybe on HBO or Showtime.
Old 02-20-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<small>I kind of like it.</small>
Old 02-20-15, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Narration is so tough to pull off, it has to be fluidly written prose and delivered by the right voice. I don't think it can work on the tight schedules of a network show. Maybe on HBO or Showtime.
Maybe, it sort of worked on Desperate Housewives. But this voiceover sounds like it's from a 1950's educational film. And the strange thing is that there is absolutely no reason for it.

Still though, it's sort of rare to have a network scripted drama that's not about solving murders & an elite team of ____ doing something or other. So I'll stick with it for now.
Old 02-21-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Watched the 2nd episode - my girlfriend insisted and said that if it's not any better we won't have to watch any more - we don't have to watch any more.

The main problem with the show is that the characters aren't actual characters, but rather caricatures. Nothing they do seems to stem from who they are as individuals, but just a bunch of contrived, cliched nonsense that "types" of people in a survey/poll fall prey to.
Old 02-21-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
<small>I kind of like it.</small>
Me too.
Old 02-23-15, 07:24 AM
Banned

Finally broke down & watched the first two episodes On Demand (free) while doing routine computer work.

Surprised to find that it was kind of fun in an MST3000, tongue-in-cheek kind of way. Love the narration...it's appropriately cheesy. Makes me think of Kafka's great opening to The Metamorphosis. Not nearly as bad as the horribly inappropriate teaser narration for Dateline.

As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams, he found that he had been transformed in his bed into a giant insect.

Of course, they could have gone with first-person narration:

I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror.

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-23-15 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-24-15, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

"This is a hard cash business"

That Hugo kid needs to cut his hair.
Old 02-24-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm enjoying the show and see it as an eight episode rollercoaster, so I'm in.

So far though, everyone is a fuck up. Who am I rooting for here? I wanted to be on Quintos side, but turns out he's a hot headed, borderline abusive, cheating butthole.

The stupid kids presents, especially Melissa George, is a lying sack of shit and a terrible mother.

Surprises to see Quinto get arrested for something else other than the slap, because Skarsgaard was there and knows she was lying.

I'm curious to see how crazy it gets.
Old 03-05-15, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always like Brian Cox, so I liked this episode. Am I singlehandedly keeping this miniseries alive?
Old 03-06-15, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I always like Brian Cox, so I liked this episode. Am I singlehandedly keeping this miniseries alive?
I'm still in, though I haven't watched the latest episode yet. I like the cast.
Old 03-06-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I missed an episode so I'm behind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.