Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Jon Stewart is quitting The Daily Show (new host: Trevor Noah)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jon Stewart is quitting The Daily Show (new host: Trevor Noah)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Jon Stewart is quitting The Daily Show (new host: Trevor Noah)

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Must not watch alot of MSNBC.
Yeah, well the original Caddyshack will always be better than Caddyshack 2.
Old 02-10-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

If anything, I'm pretty sure he'll get further away from politics and news and focus more on comedy and/or drama.
Old 02-10-15, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think he caught the movie bug. I have not seen Rosewater yet, but wouldn't be surprised if he has film/tv director/writer jobs lined up.
I saw Rosewater in the theater and let's just say he should keep his desk job.
Old 02-10-15, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This news makes me a little sad. I'm so used to watching him on TV almost every day, he will be missed. But I'm glad for him if he will be moving on to other things he cares about.
Old 02-10-15, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

About fucking time. Now they can bring back Craig.
Old 02-11-15, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone
Seems like only yesterday when he took over for Craig Kilborn...
What happened to Kilborn? He was hot for like 7 minutes then it was like he was put in the witness protection program.
Old 02-11-15, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I can't imagine Stewart would move to a 'regular' news show, because I can't imagine he'd be able to keep his humorous approach to the news. And in the opposite direction, that goes for someone like Brian Williams coming to TDS. While Williams seems like a fun guy, he doesn't seem like someone that could deliver the news in a jokey manner all the time.
Of all of the current correspondents, I would guess Jason Jones would get it. He even did a night recently when Jon was sick.
Old 02-11-15, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

My money is on Jason Jones too.
Old 02-11-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I used to watch Craig Kilborn every night, but never got into Stewart because he was too liberal and played to that base of fans throughout his tenure. (I say that because all of my liberal friends love him and all of my conservative friends don't watch him). The last thing I want to hear about at 11PM is more politics as I just want to be entertained and forget all of the partisan bullshit in our country and the world.

Originally Posted by Thrush
What happened to Kilborn? He was hot for like 7 minutes then it was like he was put in the witness protection program.
I remember seeing an interview with him and he sounds like a guy who doesn't want to stay at a specific job for more then 5 years even if its successful. He was great with Olberman and Dan Patrick on Late Night Sportscenters from 1993-96 and left there for the Daily Show where he stayed for 3 years. He then left to be the Host of the 12:30 Late Night Show following Letterman for 6 years.

Not sure what he is doing now?

Last edited by mcnabb; 02-11-15 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Comedy Central
Are you a low-brow polemic who can masquerade as a humorist? If you answered yes, please go to ComedyCentral.com and click on "Employment Opportunites."
Old 02-11-15, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
And the TDS 8400 laser copier.
Old 02-11-15, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

He is still waiting for Old School 2 to call. Spoiler alert - he survived the crash.

Originally Posted by JTH182
My money is on Jason Jones too.
I too think this is the most likely option.

A real dark horse to me is Dimitri Martin. He's very intelligent and has the type of humor that would work on the show.
Old 02-11-15, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Like mcnabb said, I don't think he likes staying in one place for too long. I've also heard that he can be a little difficult to work with at times. I get the the impression that he will eventually wear out his welcome wherever he is working. That said, I always liked his act onscreen. My all-time favorite Sportscenter team was Kilborn and Kenny Mayne.
Old 02-11-15, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing that made Kilborn better than Stewart was that he could keep a straight face. Stewart cracks up at stuff all the time, which spoils the illusion that you're watching a real news show and turns it into a late night talkshow.
Old 02-11-15, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do like Kilborn, as I worked overnights for a CBS affiliate for a few years so I would have to watch the Late Late show and I absolutely loved him on Sportscenter, but that being said I just don't get the constant fellating he receives on this site.
Old 02-11-15, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

The thing that made Kilborn better than Stewart ....
I stopped reading there, because nothing of value can come from someone holding that opinion.
Old 02-11-15, 09:58 AM

I've been watching the Daily Show pretty religiously since 1999, but I can't imagine any of the current correspondents taking over for him. I thought the Jason Jones/Sam Bee co-host episode to be pretty painful to watch, and I don't think it would get much better. I love Demetri Martin (he's the only standup I've gone to see in the last 10 years), but his comedy is more absurdist and fairly apolitical.

Jordan Klepper seems to be the correspondent getting most of the Colbert/Oliver style bits on the show lately, and he has greatly improved from when he first started, but he might still be a little fresh to take over for Jon.
Old 02-11-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
I do like Kilborn, as I worked overnights for a CBS affiliate for a few years so I would have to watch the Late Late show and I absolutely loved him on Sportscenter, but that being said I just don't get the constant fellating he receives on this site.
Constant? Has anybody brought him up in the last decade?
Old 02-11-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I wasn't a regular watcher, but I always liked being able to watch Stewart or Colbert after significant political events. I'm sad I won't be able to do that anymore, but nothing last forever, and they really changed how a generation gets its news.
Old 02-11-15, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Poor choice of wording on my part. I meant that whenever he is brought up he is gushed over abnormally more so than anywhere else I've seen.

And he has definitely been brought up within the last decade: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/search.php?searchid=4734640
Old 02-11-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Yes. Kilborn and Ferguson both get a lot of love on here.

I'd like both. But I watch Conan. And there's too much late night TV to be DVR'ing and watching everything.
Old 02-11-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I stopped reading there, because nothing of value can come from someone holding that opinion.
I liked Kilborn alot better then Stewart, as Stewart does the same schtick every night: He would show a clip and then look at the screen dumbfounded while his liberal audience would laugh hysterically like lap dogs. Then he would pretend to get angry, and curse at that politican for whatever reason he disagreed with.

The only reason I say this I really liked Jon Stewart in his early days of standup (he was on an HBO young comedians special WAY back in either the late 80's/early 90's) and then had an MTV show right around that time. He did some political stuff back in the day similar to Maher was doing to at that time, and it was some very funny and it wasn't overtly partisan.

But then what happened to Maher and Stewart is they become beloved by the liberal elites and then they start playing to that audience and become total partisans on their show. The irony is that Stewart ribs on Fox News, but he is essentially doing the same crap they do in pushing their ideology every night to partisan audience that only wants to hear one side.
Old 02-11-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcnabb
The irony is that Stewart ribs on Fox News, but he is essentially doing the same crap they do in pushing their ideology every night to partisan audience that only wants to hear one side.
HA! Either you haven't seen enough of the show to form a properly educated opinion or you're being purposefully obtuse to make a political point.

Absolutely no one can deny that Stewart or the show are liberal leaning, but I implore you to take a month's worth of programming from TDS and Fox News and tally how many times each one honestly takes their respective side to task.

Fox News invented and are the most egregious at modern day bullshit partisan cable TV news, so I find it hilarious anytime anyone tries to defend them.

Last edited by rocketsauce; 02-11-15 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rocketsauce

Fox News invented modern day bullshit partisan TV news, so I find it hilarious anytime anyone tries to defend them.
Not defending either of them as I think they are both pushing their ideology to a specific audience that wants to hear that political view.

Now FoxNews is on 24/7, so they are pushing their bullshit ideology for 24 hours, and only Stewart can do it for 30 minutes.

If you don't believe me then why is Jon Stewarts audience predominantly liberal, and FoxNews audience predominantly conservative? Why is MSNBC's audience predominantly liberal? Why is Rush Limbaugh's audience predominantly conservative? They're all the same, only they present it in a different way.
Old 02-11-15, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Not defending either of them as I think they are both pushing their ideology to a specific audience that wants to hear that political view.

Now FoxNews is on 24/7, so they are pushing their bullshit ideology for 24 hours, and only Stewart can do it for 30 minutes.

If you don't believe me then why is Jon Stewarts audience predominantly liberal, and FoxNews audience predominantly conservative? Why is MSNBC's audience predominantly liberal? Why is Rush Limbaugh's audience predominantly conservative? They're all the same, only they present it in a different way.
I can agree with most of that.

I think what my point was, was more about the honesty in the programming on each side no matter which side the story is about. I've always found Stewart and TDS to be the most honest in going after their "own" side whether it be liberals, Obama, CNN, etc....

And you're right about the 24/7 vs. 30 mins. point, but honestly pick one show that most closely resembles TDS and my point is the same.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.