DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Flash (S1E13) -- "The Nuclear Man" -- 2/10/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625078-flash-s1e13-nuclear-man-2-10-15-a.html)

DJariya 02-10-15 03:53 PM

The Flash (S1E13) -- "The Nuclear Man" -- 2/10/15

http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2015/02/0...94c50_960w.jpg

"The Nuclear Man" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DV) (HDTV)

ROBBIE AMELL AND VICTOR GARBER GUEST STAR AS FIRESTORM - After Ronnie (guest star Robbie Amell) attacks a physicist (guest star Bill Dow), Barry (Grant Gustin) and the team realize they need to go after Caitlin's (Danielle Panabaker) fiancé who is now a dangerous meta-human. They deduce the best way to track Ronnie is to find Dr. Martin Stein (guest star Victor Garber) who was working on a project called F.I.R.E.S.T.O.R.M. Barry struggles to balance his duties as The Flash and his relationship with Linda Park (guest star Malese Jow), and Joe (Jesse L. Martin) enlists Cisco's (Carlos Valdes) help to reinvestigate the murder of Nora Allen (guest star Michelle Harrison). General Eiling (Clancy Brown) returns to Central City. Glen Winter directed the episode written by Andrew Kreisberg & Katherine Walczak (#113). Original airdate 2/10/2015.

Episode 13 of 23

Draven 02-10-15 11:42 PM

Re: The Flash (S1E13) -- "The Nuclear Man" -- 2/10/15

Good episode - one of their better ones, actually. The effects were fantastic in this, especially the nuke.

Barry's speed is still inconsistent. He was way too fast leaving and returning to his date. But I realize they are just trying to be cute.

Nice to see them moving forward with the time travel stuff too.

Goldberg74 02-11-15 04:39 AM

I'm impressed with the Firestorm effects... top notch for a TV budget.

ytrez 02-11-15 07:23 AM

Not bad at all. I liked the Barry moments. Firestorm is backwards personality-wise (tv vs. comic books) and it's odd watching Amell trying to act like an older character. Stein's scene on the train was pretty good. Wonder if they have plans for Firestorm. This is a pretty big, long-running intro for a character they're not trying to spin off. Hope they make him more than the Human Torch soon though.

Libby 02-11-15 09:07 AM

One of the standout episodes of the season. The story has a good pace and the special effects were really good for a TV budget.

For a first year show it feels like it could already be in its 2 or 3 season. Cant wait to see how it all plays out, and am already getting excited for next year. Will be picking this up on Blu Ray the day it comes out for sure!

Deftones 02-11-15 02:48 PM

fucking sweet. i have to agree. the effects on this show are among the best on television. loved that they are finally getting into his mom's murder and the time travel stuff. :up:

Iron_Giant 02-11-15 03:03 PM

The Flash show last night was my favorite TV show of the entire season...of any show (Flash, Arrow, SHIELD...).

Keep up the good work.

Just have to say it again, I wish they would use this Flash in the movies.

Wolf359 02-11-15 05:00 PM

Great episode, but just had to laugh at the device being too complex for Barry, but all she did was press one button.

VHS? 02-11-15 05:42 PM

The title of this episode was almost going to be "The Minute Man" :lol:

So Barry killed his Mother and Wells wants to stop that or the other way around?

PhantomStranger 02-11-15 08:48 PM

I don't think they will have Barry killing his mother, that would be a twist. Ratings have flattened a bit on this series in recent weeks, the margin with Arrow's ratings is shrinking.

Did anyone notice how the device put on Ronnie at the end looks eerily similar to Firestorm's classic design?

http://www.rarecomicbooks.fashionabl...lear%20Man.jpg

RocShemp 02-11-15 08:57 PM

^ I believe that was intentional.

PhantomStranger 02-11-15 09:09 PM

I am still not sure that Wells is the Reverse Flash. They definitely want us to think he is the Reverse Flash, but there is one character from the future he could be I haven't really seen mentioned.

Comic spoilers
Spoiler:
John Fox- This character is from Wally's time as the Flash.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/John_Fox

will travel 02-12-15 01:08 AM

Nice little nod to GERRY CONWAY the co-creater of FIRESTORM.
Martin Stein won 3 Conway Awards.

Wish they would give less screen time to romantic sub plots. Those drag down the scenes every time.

JasonF 02-12-15 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12393137)
Did anyone notice how the device put on Ronnie at the end looks eerily similar to Firestorm's classic design?

Yup. That design element has almost always been a part of Firestorm's look, and I'm glad they kept it here.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12393159)
I am still not sure that Wells is the Reverse Flash. They definitely want us to think is the Reverse Flash, but there is one character from the future he could be I haven't really seen mentioned.

Comic spoilers
Spoiler:

I'm hoping for Abra Kadabra, personally.

majorjoe23 02-12-15 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 12393288)

I'm hoping for Abra Kadabra, personally.

We'll know for sure if he wants to reach out and grab someone.

iggystar 02-12-15 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by will travel (Post 12393283)

Wish they would give less screen time to romantic sub plots. Those drag down the scenes every time.

Me too!!!! The whole love sick puppy thing almost got me to drop the show. I really don't care about Barry pining over Iris, Iris and Pretty Boy Cop, or Barry not pining over her so they can go with her pining over him soon since she'll be jealous he's banging Plucky Girl Reporter Hot Chick...oooh, she's a sports journalist too, a "guys gal". Ugh.

It's a testament to the storyline and great FX that I keep coming back to it.

robin2099 02-12-15 10:40 AM

Thought this was a really good episode. Got to give Robbie Amell credit for playing the character the way he did and I kind of like the twist they put on Firestorm compared to how he was portrayed in the comics.

PhantomStranger 02-12-15 01:37 PM

I don't really understand the end game scenario for Firestorm on this series. Is the CW considering a Firestorm spin-off? I would think his powers are too expensive for a weekly series, but maybe the VFX have gotten cheaper. He looks far more expensive to re-create than Flash's powers.

DJariya 02-13-15 10:31 PM

A little late to the party, but I also enjoyed this episode.

The special effects were outstanding, especially with Firestorm and the final sequence. I have to believe this show is a significantly higher budget than Arrow.

:thumbsup: I dig Linda Park. I've liked Malese Jow since she was on Vampire Diaries. She's really cute. At least he's not going to dwell on Iris anytime soon. For those who say they don't enjoy these type of plot points adding a love interest. Honestly, I don't see what's so wrong about it. Most TV shows, including comic shows like this need to do this type of storytelling. It's to help attract female viewers. You can't make a show like this a masculine sausage fest for all you middle aged nerds. :D I know a good female friend of mine loved that in Smallville and likes the whole "Ollicity" thing on Arrow. The CW has to also cater to a young female demographic as well.

whotony 02-14-15 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359 (Post 12392949)
Great episode, but just had to laugh at the device being too complex for Barry, but all she did was press one button.

That was exactly what I said to my wife when Panabaker said it's too complicated.

whotony 02-14-15 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12393137)
I don't think they will have Barry killing his mother, that would be a twist. Ratings have flattened a bit on this series in recent weeks, the margin with Arrow's ratings is shrinking.

http://www.rarecomicbooks.fashionabl...lear%20Man.jpg

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12393159)
I am still not sure that Wells is the Reverse Flash. They definitely want us to think he is the Reverse Flash, but there is one character from the future he could be I haven't really seen mentioned.

Comic spoilers
Spoiler:

I'm confused, are you saying you thought that was an accident that the device looked exactly
like the comiic book design?

Anyway, I'm not sure Wells is "The" RF but I still think he may be one of several.
Plus did I read up there that someone still thinks Barry is going back in time to Kill his own mother?

PhantomStranger 02-15-15 01:59 AM

No, it was more my surprise they retained any of Firestorm's comic book design. It's always been a pretty weird costume, even by comic book standards.

Messing with Batman or Superman's classic costume, bad Hollywood.:johnwoo2:

Messing with Firestorm's costume, I don't care Hollywood.:lol:

Giantrobo 02-15-15 04:05 PM

Loooooves this ep. Seeing one of my fave dc heroes come together...no pun...like this was a dream come true. Also, its cool to have Clancy Brown as a semi-regular on the series.

resinrats 02-15-15 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12395883)
No, it was more my surprise they retained any of Firestorm's comic book design. It's always been a pretty weird costume, even by comic book standards.

Messing with Batman or Superman's classic costume, bad Hollywood.:johnwoo2:

Messing with Firestorm's costume, I don't care Hollywood.:lol:

Pretty sure 95%+ of audience members have never heard of Firestorm before so hard for them to be upset over that. Also Firestorm is what, a D list superhero compared to the A list guys 100% of viewers are very familiar with and know how they costumes 'should' look.

One question of the show in general. The Flash I knew best was Wally West from the Justice League cartoon. I'm guessing Iris is related to him. Aunt, mother??

taffer 02-15-15 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by resinrats (Post 12396231)
One question of the show in general. The Flash I knew best was Wally West from the Justice League cartoon. I'm guessing Iris is related to him. Aunt, mother??

Iris is Wally's aunt in the comics. Wally was Kid Flash originally, a teen sidekick to Barry. Then after Barry died in the 1980s, Wally became the new Flash. Barry is back alive in the comics now, and Wally has pretty much been sidelined.

resinrats 02-15-15 04:41 PM

Thanks. Have they said she's an only child? She could have an older brother that moved out years ago so Wally could make an appearance.

PhantomStranger 02-15-15 07:44 PM

I think it could be a couple of seasons before we get a sniff of Wally. It took Arrow over two seasons before we got Black Canary.

actionjackson29 02-15-15 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12396356)
I think it could be a couple of seasons before we get a sniff of Wally. It took Arrow over two seasons before we got Black Canary.

Wait, are you not counting Sara? She was there at the beginning of season 2.

Kdogg 02-15-15 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12396356)

At the pace this show is going, they are going to run out of the rogues gallery pretty quick. I would expect at least an appearance of Wally West sooner rather than later unless the focus more on Reserve Flash. It seems that they are tring to keep the serialized story to a minimum.

PhantomStranger 02-16-15 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by actionjackson29 (Post 12396414)
Wait, are you not counting Sara? She was there at the beginning of season 2.

Nope.