Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S1E02) -- "Mijo" -- 2/9/15

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S1E02) -- "Mijo" -- 2/9/15

The end of the series should be with one of the "future" scenes, hopefully not just of him getting killed. I hope they get some notice of the end so they can write it properly, and I hope in the final season we get more stuff from the future. Not with any BB characters though. I don't mind them showing up in the past but I don't want to see anyone else after the end of BB.
Old 02-11-15, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Heck, the entire final season could be "future" scenes and how he might make a better life for himself there in Omaha, or go somewhere else to do so. Lots of possibilities.
Old 02-11-15, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I freaking love this show. I finally caught up and this is going to be an insta-watch every week. I have literally zero complaints so far.
Old 02-11-15, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I watched both episodes and it has gotten off to a strong start. Probably a better start than Breaking Bad (that took a few episodes at least to begin to hold your interest). Odenkirk is great in this role. The one thing i hope is that the Michael Mckean storyline does not drag on for a long time. I already feel he is out staying his welcome.
Old 02-11-15, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I was always confused by the "BB got off to a slow start" comments. I loved BB from the very beginning, the body dissolved in the bathtub in the second episode solidified that. The kleptomania subplot was god awful though. Honestly I don't think they need to wait til the last season to skip ahead. Make this a prequel and sequel.
Old 02-11-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's interesting that some of you want to see more of the "future". I don't think the show will go there. At least it won't go there often.

If I want to bet, I don't expect them to go there again in the first season.

Just check the cast. They are building the season around those characters. All of them are from the "past".

I actually want to see some flashbacks from their current "present". Just a couple of situations that may be better explained with a flashback.
Old 02-11-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
It's interesting that some of you want to see more of the "future". I don't think the show will go there. At least it won't go there often.

If I want to bet, I don't expect them to go there again in the first season.

Just check the cast. They are building the season around those characters. All of them are from the "past".

I actually want to see some flashbacks from their current "present". Just a couple of situations that may be better explained with a flashback.
Gilligan and Gould have already said they'll be exploring more of the future, but I agree it won't be this season.
Old 02-11-15, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Man, what a great episode this was.

Great suspense with Tuco.
Hilarious montage with Mike and the stickers.
Great final 3rd act with the proposition at the end.

the Michael McKean scenes have been a bore to sit through, though.
Agreed. So far his character is kind of a bore. I like him too (frigging David St. Hubbins). But he just seems tired and old rather than legitimately crazy and interesting.
Old 02-11-15, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd like to see the future and what Saul does after all the events of Breaking Bad, but not anytime soon. I'd much rather have a couple seasons of how Jimmy turns in to Saul first.
Old 02-11-15, 11:35 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Love this show so far, even Chuck. Michael McKeon plays him perfectly. Chuck obviously views himself as the smarter, more successful brother, yet he's obviously psychologically impaired. I'm interested to see where that storyline goes.
Old 02-12-15, 04:14 PM
Banned

What exactly is wrong with Chuck? Anything electronic like a cell phone seems to hurt him, but is it not just electronics but anything electrical because he doesn't have electrical lights or even a refrigerator? I have never heard of any disease like this. Is it all just bullshit? I started to think he is actually just a hypochondriac with the "space blanket" scene since that seems a lot like "tin foil hat" territory to me.
Old 02-12-15, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

From Googling it he could have electromagnetic hypersensitivity. It almost seems like it's in his head but I guess we don't know enough about the character yet to really say definitively.
Old 02-12-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm sure they'll get to explaining it more, but I'm pretty sure it's mental.
Old 02-12-15, 05:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great start to the series. Loved the first episode better than the second. I feel like the Tuco parts dragged on a little too long.

My hunch is that outside of the Walter White and his family, we will probably see the BB characters here and there e.g. Jesse, Hank, Gomez, Skinny Pete, Combo, Badger.
Old 02-12-15, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
It's great seeing the birth of Saul Goodman.

Tuco telling the other guy to shut up, the one he killed in BB, was a great reference.

I can't wait for more cameos/references.

And of course the series finale, when he meets Walt.
Yeah, I'm interested to see at what point and why he became Saul Goodman.

And it is really telling about Tuco that he had this dude around and he never learned to shut his mouth,
Spoiler:
so the way Tuco killed him in BB made even more sense. I mean Tuco seems to have some sense of perspective.

I'm enjoying these two episodes so far!
Old 02-13-15, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts

Some of you guys like this show way more than I do so far. Still enjoying it though. An entertaining well made spin off to the greatest TV drama ever is more than I could hope for. Let's not overdo our enthusiasm just yet.
I did love the "Showtime Folks" montage which did a beautiful job incorporating two previous montages that I love deeply (All That Jazz's and the Crystal Blue Persuasion montage from McClaren's own "Gliding Over All" episode of Breaking Bad). That was some good stuff there. And while the Tuco stuff went on way too long in the desert, there was an overhead shot that was absolutely breathtaking.
Old 02-13-15, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Even though I loved the Saul character in Breaking Bad, this show just isn't working for me. The combination of it being a prequel (I am not a big prequel person), and I just don't know how interesting it will be to go that indepth into Saul's (Jimmy's) life. I'm really debating whether I will continue watching at this point.
Old 02-13-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I was prepared to be disappointed but the series thus far has been really strong with its first two episodes. I like the character of Jimmy so far and feel like he's pretty sympathetic and should be interesting to see him evolve from small-time lawyer to the Saul persona.
Old 02-13-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out where I saw the actor who plays Nacho before - turns out it's the same guy who plays Vic on ORPHAN BLACK. He's a good actor.
It took me a couple minutes to figure out he was from Orphan Black. This is a pretty huge break for the Canadian kid since this show has a lot of eyes on it and he's got a decent sized role.

It's still early, but so far the show is better than I thought it would be... but not as good as those who are salivating all over it. I think people are giving too much praise simply because of the Breaking Bad tie-ins - which I can understand to a degree... it's Breaking Bad after all. I'm surprised, yet cautiously optimistic.

I do agree though that the brother story line isn't doing much for me so far. I really don't know where this show is going to go. I really hope Vince Gilligan has this all mapped out ahead of time and isn't making stuff up as he goes along - makes for a much better written series.
Old 02-13-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think Vince Gilligan is the type of guy who would have allowed this series to have gone through without having some sort of a plan in mind. I'm wondering what the lifespan of the series will be. I wonder if each season will be around a year in which case if it went for six seasons it could essentially lead into the Breaking Bad timeline or if the plan is to expand more beyond the final season of Breaking Bad with more of Saul in Omaha or what the plan is. Either way I think there's a lot of interesting directions that it can take.
Old 02-13-15, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

For me the show has been as good as I could have hoped considering how high the bar was set by BB. The cinematography especially has been fantastic. The writers and Odenkirk's acting have delivered a leading character that can carry a series. Well done.
Old 02-13-15, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Well that shouldn't be surprising. IMO, they brought their A team for the 1st 2 episodes. Gould and Gilligan co-wrote episode 1 with Gilligan directing. Gould wrote episode 2 with Michelle MacLaren directing. She was their #1 director on Breaking Bad and an EP on the show.

Thomas Schnauz is the credited writer for episode 3. He was also on Breaking Bad's writing staff and an EP on the show. They aren't half assing this show. Gilligan and Gould are bringing in their top dawgs from the Breaking Bad team.
Old 02-14-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Enjoyed both episodes so far. Curious to find out more about the female attorney Saul shared a smoke with in the garage.
Old 02-14-15, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

It is refreshing to watch a show that doesn't speed through it's scenes.
Old 02-14-15, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
What exactly is wrong with Chuck? Anything electronic like a cell phone seems to hurt him, but is it not just electronics but anything electrical because he doesn't have electrical lights or even a refrigerator? I have never heard of any disease like this. Is it all just bullshit? I started to think he is actually just a hypochondriac with the "space blanket" scene since that seems a lot like "tin foil hat" territory to me.
That's all there is to it, he's pure f'in nuts.