DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Better Call Saul (S1E01) -- 75 minute premiere -- "Uno" -- 2/8/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625045-better-call-saul-s1e01-75-minute-premiere-uno-2-8-15-a.html)

DJariya 02-08-15 01:03 AM

Better Call Saul (S1E01) -- 75 minute premiere -- "Uno" -- 2/8/15

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...6a29f965e07ee7

Better Call Saul is the prequel to the award-winning series Breaking Bad, set six years before Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk) became Walter White’s lawyer. When we meet him, the man who will become Saul Goodman is known as Jimmy McGill, a small-time lawyer searching for his destiny, and, more immediately, hustling to make ends meet. Working alongside, and often against, Jimmy is "fixer" Mike Ehrmantraut (Jonathan Banks), a beloved character introduced in Breaking Bad. The series will track Jimmy's transformation into Saul Goodman, the man who puts "criminal" in "criminal lawyer."

The series also stars Michael McKean as Chuck McGill, Rhea Seehorn as Kim Wexler, Patrick Fabian as Howard Hamlin, and Michael Mando as Nacho Varga -- characters that will represent both legitimate and illegitimate sides of the law.

Breaking Bad creator and showrunner Vince Gilligan and Breaking Bad writer and producer Peter Gould created the show together and serve as co-showrunners of the premiere season. Gilligan directed the first episode of the series, which has already been greenlit for a second season of 13 episodes. The debut season will consist of 10 episodes.

Written by: Vince Gilligan & Peter Gould

Directed by: Vince Gilligan

Episode 2 will air Monday night at 10pm ET/PT

For those who don't pay attention to the behind the scenes aspects of Breaking Bad, Peter Gould, who is the co-creator and co-showrunner with Gilligan is the one who created the Saul Goodman character.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l1xIGfVFb-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My Other Self 02-08-15 01:10 AM

Re: Better Call Saul (S1E01) -- 75 minute premiere -- "Uno" -- 2/8/15

Can't wait! :banana:

astrochimp 02-08-15 08:20 AM

I'm in.

dhmac 02-08-15 09:00 AM

Better Call Saul is premiering on both AMC and NetFlix tonight.

I wonder how they will make that work?

RichC2 02-08-15 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 12389394)
Better Call Saul is premiering on both AMC and NetFlix tonight.

I wonder how they will make that work?

I thought it was AMC only in the US, and Netflix in the UK, just like Breaking Bad?

dhmac 02-08-15 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12389417)
I thought it was AMC only in the US, and Netflix in the UK, just like Breaking Bad?

Oh, maybe that's it. (The articles I've read haven't exactly tried to explain it and just say it's premiering on AMC and NetFlix.)

DthRdrX 02-08-15 10:51 AM

Seems like forever we have been waiting for this one! Can't wait!

kstublen 02-08-15 11:08 AM

This is one of those situations where the hype surrounding it could easily lead to disappointment, but I really don't think that will be the case. Can't wait to see Gilligan & Co. have in store for us.

OldBoy 02-08-15 11:15 AM

won't watch it live, but can't freggin' wait. the early buzz is so good!!

JuryDuty 02-08-15 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12389417)

Is that correct? I don't have cable and would subscribe to Netflix for this... Or will AMC have it in an app or anything?

My Other Self 02-08-15 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty (Post 12389536)
Is that correct? I don't have cable and would subscribe to Netflix for this... Or will AMC have it in an app or anything?

If you don't have cable you wouldn't be able to watch it on any app as it is.

If you subscribe to Netflix (US), you can switch your account to various countries (which offer different programming) via a proxy. There's discussion in Streaming Talk in regards to this.

This would be the ideal (legal) way to watch this if you're without cable.

RichC2 02-08-15 12:53 PM

Netflix (US) is supposed to get the show as soon as the entire season is done airing on AMC.

AMC is one of the big reasons Netflix and "binge watching" became big topics, and Netflix is doing everything they can to keep it that way while AMC reaps the promotional benefit from it (Netflix is very often credited with Breaking Bad growing season to season.) Something a lot of other networks haven't fully figured out.

Mike86 02-08-15 01:02 PM

I'll be watching live tonight. I'm more excited than I initially was after all the positive early reviews. This could have been a disaster but it seems like it might live up to Breaking Bad.

My Other Self 02-08-15 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12389546)
Something a lot of other networks haven't fully figured out.

It doesn't help AMC that their original programming for the most part has been a wasteland. Their only shows worth a damn now are The Walking Dead, which is a juggernaut, and a show spun-off from one of the most acclaimed TV series of all-time.

Their agreement with Netflix was very smart, but it doesn't change the fact that they need someone new in charge over there (especially now since their only other decent show, Mad Men, is ending after this year).

RichC2 02-08-15 01:51 PM

I think they're doing fine, they just started original programming in 2007 and their first two shows were Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Added Walking Dead to that in 2010. They haven't had another knock-out since then, but Mad Men and Breaking Bad were tremendously lowly rated shows (ratings wise) so Walking Dead is just an anomoly for them.

Mike86 02-08-15 02:15 PM

Look how many flops they've had since then though. Rubicon (which actually had potential they just cancelled it too soon), The Killing (it was never that great but for some reason they kept trying to revive it), and Low Winter Sun. They still have Halt and Catch Fire, Hell on Wheels, and Turn: Washington's Spies for newer shows but really none of them are very acclaimed and could be cancelled and I doubt many people would even notice or care. Hell even Mad Men has dipped pretty significantly in quality over the past few years or so and is to the point where I'm just ready for it to be over.

I think at best AMC had some dumb luck at first. Mad Men was a really good series at first and brought attention to AMC. Breaking Bad knocked it out of the park and is probably one of the best series ever made. The Walking Dead isn't really that great but it has a fanbase so that's their main claim to fame at the moment if you ask me. Now with Better Call Saul they could have another hit but it only came about because its a spin-off of one of their more popular shows.

My Other Self 02-08-15 02:20 PM

I liked Turn (it got better as the season progressed), but I'm honestly surprised it was renewed. I just think AMC is desperate for programming.

I really enjoy Hell on Wheels, but again, surprised it had been renewed past Season 2. Their Saturday experiment worked, but even then it's entering its last season this year (albeit split up in to 2016 :rolleyes: ), so they're without much in terms of original shows.

They tried reality, but axed that arm-wrestling competition show ( :lol: ) so they can focus on original dramas and comedies.

Oh, I forgot about The Walking Dead spinoff should that get picked up beyond the pilot (as if there's any doubt).

DthRdrX 02-08-15 02:42 PM

Between The two Walking Dead shows and Better Call Saul they will be ok for a few years. I would like to see something new from them though.

Trelach24 02-08-15 03:18 PM

It's going to feel brutal saving this episode until tomorrow so I can watch both in a row.

kstublen 02-08-15 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 12389627)
They tried reality, but axed that arm-wrestling competition show ( :lol: ) so they can focus on original dramas and comedies.

I really don't understand who thought the arm wrestling show was a good premise for a show. I watched it once and it's just so much ridiculous filler.

I enjoy Comic Book Men though whenever I catch it on, although it's not "must see" for me.

Geofferson 02-08-15 07:07 PM

Still can't believe this is really happening. I plan on watching it live as well.

Mike86 02-08-15 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 12389657)
I enjoy Comic Book Men though whenever I catch it on, although it's not "must see" for me.

Most of their reality programming is crap but Comic Book Men isn't bad. It's decent time killer tv and there are some entertaining bits. Of course like any reality show there's a lot of stupid stuff though too.

Throwing Copper 02-08-15 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12389559)
I'll be watching live tonight. I'm more excited than I initially was after all the positive early reviews. This could have been a disaster but it seems like it might live up to Breaking Bad.

There is ZERO chance it lives up to Breaking Bad, but I'm sure it will be quite good in its own right.

bluetoast 02-08-15 08:34 PM

On social media today, The CEO of a certain mall franchise

Spoiler:
has implied that said mall franchise may make an appearance tonight.

My Other Self 02-08-15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 12389872)
On social media today, The CEO of a certain mall franchise

Spoiler:
has implied that said mall franchise may make an appearance tonight.

:lol: :up: