Arrow's Diggle (David Ramsey) Talks Green Lantern

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-07-15, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/0...n-lantern.html

During an interview with Comic Book, Arrow star David Ramsey has addressed fan speculation that his character John Diggle could take on the John Stewart / Green Lantern role in the DC series, revealing that “serious discussions” are taking place.

“Is John Diggle John Stewart? I cannot say ‘yes,’ and cannot say, ‘no.’ I’m serious! I do know that there is serious discussion about whether or not this guy becomes John Stewart. But, I mean, I’ll say this: it is top secret. David Ramsey has asked them, and they’re like, ‘we’re working on some stuff.’ If that’s the case, it’s gonna be huge. This is the stuff they want to avoid. I think they don’t want anybody to know yet and they haven’t even told me. They have told me that they are thinking about it and they are considering it. Greg Berlanti told me that. Andrew and Marc have told me that. I haven’t spoken to Geoff Johns about it, yet. But that’s the word from people directly involved in Arrow - that they’re working on something.”

Ramsey then spoke about his admiration for the character: “I love John Stewart. At one of the comic cons I met the original creator of John Stewart and he is just an awesome, awesome character. To answer your question: if Diggle becomes John Stewart, I would be honored to be play that character. Honored. The same way that I am honored that John Diggle is now a part of the DC canon. That’s just an incredible honor to me. I would love it because I think that he’s an awesome character. I would love to sink my teeth into it. I don’t know how would fit into the Arrow Universe because the Arrow Universe is so rooted in kind of grounded reality, if you will, however real people with a bow and arrow can be. I don’t know how a thought-based weapon fits into that world. I don’t know how that fits into Arrow, but yes, to answer that question I would love to play the character.”

There's more here:

http://comicbook.com/2015/02/06/excl...squad-and-gre/
Old 02-07-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Arrow's Diggle (David Ramsey) Talks Green Lantern

I certainly hope it happens.
Old 02-07-15, 10:52 PM
Banned

I'm confused. Is he talking about playing John Stewart on TV in the Arrowverse or in the movies in the DCCU?

If he is talking about Arrowverse, then John Stewart and John Diggle do both have the same first name, but why would Diggle change his last name? That doesn't make any sense.

Also, Lantern constructs would be expensive CGI, definitely more expensive than Flash's powers. I can't imagine that being done well on TV budget. Green Lantern would probably be the hardest character to do on TV just because of the flashy constructs being so expensive.

It would be interesting to see him play Stewart in the DCCU, but playing Stewart in the Arrowverse doesn't make sense.

Last edited by taffer; 02-07-15 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-07-15, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Because Diggle isn't necessarily his last name/only last name.
Old 02-07-15, 11:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Because Diggle isn't necessarily his last name/only last name.
I guess Diggle could be his middle name. His name could actually be John Diggle Stewart. That just seems weird though. Why would he have never told anyone his real last name? Everyone calls him Mr. Diggle. It seems like he would tell them that is his middle name, and he is actually Mr. Stewart.

Heck, even people like his ex-wife, Lyla, and Amanda Waller call him Diggle, and never Stewart. It seems like they would know at least.

I don't know. It just seems weird to go by your middle name for so long with no one knowing your real last name. It's not like he is in Witness Protection or anything hiding his real name.
Old 02-07-15, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He can change it when they change Sterling to Star!

I'm sure CHI would be cheaper if you don't have a CG suit. Plus, a lot of shows use CG these days. I can't imagine it's that expensive.
Old 02-08-15, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe that they are seriously considering a John Stewart Green Lantern spin-off with Diggle or even a self-contained series on another network. After the critical and fan drubbing the movie Green Lantern received, WB wants to rebuild the mass brand on television. Ramsey would make an incredible choice for John Stewart.

I could see it landing on CBS as a companion to Supergirl.
Old 02-08-15, 01:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I believe that they are seriously considering a John Stewart Green Lantern spin-off with Diggle or even a self-contained series on another network. After the critical and fan drubbing the movie Green Lantern received, WB wants to rebuild the mass brand on television. Ramsey would make an incredible choice for John Stewart.

Supergirl recently became a Red Lantern in the New 52.

If they do use John Diggle as John Stewart, I would imagine it would stay on the CW in the Arrowverse though. The only way it would work on another network would be if the actor is playing a different character. I imagine CW has the rights to "John Diggle" since he was created on their show. (Diggle never existed in the comics previously, but he has been brought into the comics now. Kinda like how Harley Quinn was created for BTAS, but then was later brought into the comics.)

It also makes me think how many different shows can CW possibly spin-off before the whole thing implodes. First Flash spins off, now possibly Atom, and Green Lantern would be the fourth spin off.
Old 02-08-15, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A Green Lantern show is more of a sure thing than one based on the Atom.
Old 02-08-15, 01:33 AM
Banned

A Green Lantern show is more of a sure thing than one based on the Atom.
Not necessarily. Atom would be significantly cheaper since it would require less CGI.

Green Lantern may be more well known, but there is still that bad Ryan Reynolds movie hanging over and ruining the GL name. Plus, it's not like name recognition matters a whole lot when nobody had a clue who Green Arrow was before the Arrow TV series anyway.
Old 02-08-15, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This makes a lot of sense. He'd make an excellent GL.